Find
Notify
Tools

why do YOU hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
declarations and confessions of why YOU hunt.

i'll start off...

There aint no other way to scatch that itch. it is just being on a primitive level part of being human and still...an animal. it will make you proud of participating in being in touch with my heritage and not settling for the cowardice of buying only ground up unrecognizable store bought sterile "food"

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First - it is enjoyable and challenging (particularly with a longbow)
Second - for the meat.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
A hunter is what I am, I could not stop hunting any more than I could stop breathing and I will stop both at the same time. It is a way of life for me, there are people that hunt and then there are hunters,our lives revolve around our hunting. Wives, children and friends all accept us for the way we are and if they don't understand it makes no difference to us..I hunt to live!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Meat

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I hunt for the excitement, the challenge, the kill, the meat, and the outdoors. And it is always nice (for me) to kill what I consider a trophy.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

posted Hide Post
I hunt because I enjoy being in the outdoors and I think taking your own animal and thus eating that animal is the purest of human acts. In todays world people dont really have to work to supply their own nutrition. We can go to a store and buy everything we need. People no longer really have to go out and hunt to survive. I enjoy actually going out, harvesting an animal and consuming it knowing I killed that animal. I didnt go buy it in a styrofoam container, plop it on a grill and call it a day.

As well I enjoy shooting, preparing for a hunt, and the excitement of actual hunting. Not knowing when an animal will apear. Maybe stalking and tracking a paticular animal and trying to get a shot off. Its all part of hunting and I enjoy every minute of it.

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
declarations and confessions of why YOU hunt.

A few years ago I had a 14 year old boy ask me why did I hunt. I simply told him "it is a part of me".

I think it was Chief Geronimo who said "when the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice for we are hunters". Works for me.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt for the memories. With every dawn the possibilities are endless and the outcome is unknown.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right now, my gut response is "Because I work in New York City." After spending time bottled in an office a hundred yards above the ground, with windows that I can't open to breathe fresh air, and no "fresh" air outside them even if I could; travelling to work in aluminum cans that pack people tighter than sardines, that speed through urine-scented tunnels peopled by feral men and women who scurry unseen through the subterranean darkeness, and deposit me on platforms where droppings and vomit evidence the nocturnal activities of urban hominids, I need to escape.

That's only a partial answer, because I was a hunter before I worked in Manhattan; before that I was an angler since I was just about old enough to walk and my parents introduced me to the sport. Angling introduced me to the rythms of the natural world and hooked me early-on; learning the seasonal changes, participating in the cycle of life touched something that made being outdoors very important to me.

The problem with fish is that they live in a largely opaque and foreign world; even with the most refined knowledge and technique, there is an element of chuck-and-chance-it. I did not come from a hunting family--in fact, my mother had a vague dislike of firearms, and my father, who taught me to shoot, would rather watch the deer and turkeys in his backyard than have anyone shoot them--but writers (most particularly Jack O'Connor in Outdoor Life and John Jobson in Sports Afield) caught my childhood imagination and put my feet on the road to being a hunter. When hunting, unlike when fishing, I move through what, in the most basic sense, is my and my quarry's natural environment, where every sound, sight and smell has significance, if only I can divine what it is. My skill (or lack thereof) largely dictates my success. In the tracks on the ground, I can often read the results of my errors. I get satisfaction out of "making meat". However, whether the hunt is successful or not, I feel like when I am out there; I am in the place where I belong.

I have long believed that every day I spend in NYC takes an extra day or two off my life; my time in the field restores at least a few of them.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I hunt because I truly enjoy the entire hunting experience, and I hunt for the EXPERIENCE of hunting -- not for meat, not for trophies, and not to get my name printed in some confounded record book.

I never get tired of being in the bush, and I could stay in a tented elk camp for weeks at a time and never grow weary of it, and I could literally spend the entire safari season deep in the African bush, without any contact with the outside world, and never get my fill of it all.

The part about hunting that I dislike is being away from my wife and family. That's always the hard part for me...........

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because I am.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why I like hunting? I honestly think I could go on until everyone was bored stiff so I'll just say "because I do."

I do know that as I approach older age I think I enjoy my time afield more because I'm not driven to kill something. Having the opportunity to shoot but turning down an animal that is not quite what you want is thrill enough for me. I also really enjoy helping a friend achieve a hunting goal. Watching their face light up after a good hunt is priceless and completely equivalent to shooting myself.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Primarily I hunt for the thrill I get from killing an animal. The bigger or meaner the critter, the more difficult the hunt or rare the animal, the bigger the thrill from killing it. When that is gone I will no longer hunt.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So i can justify shooting a big gun....hehe. nah i like the primitive mind set i go into for the kill.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
A hunter is what I am, I could not stop hunting any more than I could stop breathing and I will stop both at the same time. It is a way of life for me, there are people that hunt and then there are hunters,our lives revolve around our hunting. Wives, children and friends all accept us for the way we are and if they don't understand it makes no difference to us..I hunt to live!!

Well said.

I usually only get to hunt around 80 days of the year. I wish it were much more.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, God, there are so many possible answers to this question, from the atavistic "man is a hunter" response to the pleasure of providing for one's self and family to the sharing of experiences with close friends. I suppose that all of them are true, to a degree, for all of us.

For me, I view the hunt as "immersion therapy." I like getting out into the wild and figuring things out, with the taking of an animal as the solution to the whole puzzle. It challenges me to think ecologically, to "know" things that my membership in a modern, civilized society tends to make foreign to me. It makes me a more integral part of life's grand scheme, a participant rather than a consumer (or, as some would say, parasite!).

While I get immense satisfaction from a successful hunt, I dislike killing, or at least I get no particular joy or elation out of it. I do it because it is my responsibility to know what survival really means, to realize that they don't "manufacture" meat in the backroom at Piggly Wiggly. Something has to die in order for me to live (unless I wanna eat lettuce all the time, and screw that!).

Yeah, Dude, that's what it's all about. Taking care of me and mine. I like the challenge and the comaraderie and all that, but I ACCEPT the repsonsibility.

RXM

Posts: 58 | Location: Billings, Montana | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why? cuz!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I enjoy killing.

I don't harvest- if I wanted to "harvest" I could go work for one of the thousands of wheat farmers here on the Palouse. I believe killing is part of the role we fill in the continuous evolutionary process which is occuring on this planet. I don't say this with a sense of "arrogance" if that's how it appears--I merely believe and respect all life on the planet and believe every species has a role to fill, (which may explain why I am not so concerned with wolves, cougars and the like, I am more into having all species of wildlife than giving a rats ass about ranchers, home developers, highways, cross country skiers, snowmobilers etc. I realize its not always the most popular position but I would be dishonest if I stated otherwise Big Grin)

I know some "meat hunters" who sometimes razz me becasue I'll shoot a coyote, go look at it and throw it in the brush. They say "What's the point?" I usually then lecture them for 20-30 minutes on how driving their cars kills hundreds of insects or how the home in which they live displaced another living creature at some point, so whats the difference between me and my meat hunter friends? (And I mean them specifically! Not anyone here!)

To me the difference is that I am comfortable in my role as an omnivorent predator (homo sapiens)and they are not, to each their own!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt for the solitude it provides. I guess I could just as well walk in the woods without a weapon and enjoy the solitude as much. But there is that added excitement that comes with looking past every tree and bush and that added rush one gets when one hears fast footsteps in the woods that you know aren't coming from a person walking.

I think the shooting, the meat, the trophy, all of that stuff is secondary to me. I don't need to get anything to enjoy hunting.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dislike killing, or at least I get no particular joy or elation out of it. I do it because it is my responsibility to know what survival really means, to realize that they don't "manufacture" meat in the backroom at Piggly Wiggly. Something has to die in order for me to live (unless I wanna eat lettuce all the time, and screw that!).

Yeah, Dude, that's what it's all about. Taking care of me and mine. I like the challenge and the comaraderie and all that, but I ACCEPT the repsonsibility.

great words rxmoore beer

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because it's soooo perfectly in-your-face
politically incorrect...

And because nothing else fills the void within.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*** It Ain't a Simple Answer ***

Easy answer is : I don't Hunt for Sport . -- But when I do hunt , I enjoy the hell out of it . -- There's almost nothing I enjoy more than being successful at it ; .... unless it's just knowing that I can do it well .

I WILL not hunt unless I need the Meat , -- and that doesn't just mean that I eat everything I Kill . -- It means that I don't hunt unless I need the meat " financially " . -- Or , said another way , - if it's cheaper to go down and buy a good Steak , -- I won't hunt .

If I lived on a ranch , or in easy-access hunting country , AND , I needed to save money ; -- I'd never pay for a pound of beef , -- I'd try to keep the freezer full , --- AND I'd enjoy every minute hunting .

But to me , ( and I don't think less of folks with different values than my own ) , -- travelling out of state , or half way around the world , and spending a fortune to bring the meat all the way back ; -- just so I can say ,
" Hey , I eat everything I shoot " , -- is a mindset that I don't understand . -- Especially when it arrives at the table at Fifty Bucks a pound or more , ( including Plane fare ) .

I'm a professional Forester by trade and Education , and In School, ( Colorado State ) , I always took the part of " Conservationist " in discussions and seminars .

I'm not a radical tree hugger , by any means , but I do like to see lots of Game Animals in any country I frequent . -- But that's an aesthetic . -- I realize fully , that Game herds have to be MANAGED wisely , or they'll over graze their range and kill themselves off , so to speak .

Every time I've killed a higher Mammal , -- there's an identification going on . -- Can't escape the feeling as to how I would have felt in those last moments when I realized ,
" that something was terribly wrong " .

I can't be a Sport Hunter , ( to me killing an animal that I like to watch enjoying life , is not a Sport ) .

I could never be a Trophy hunter , because , to me , A poor dead animal's head hanging on a wall , is not a trophy . -- It in no way makes me a bigger Human Animal ; -- and I know that 99 times out of 100 , the deck was stacked against the animal , -- and it never had a chance .

( I might see some bragging rights to a Grizzly or Brown taken with Bow and Arrow , -- and I greatly admire Guides and PH's who go into heavy cover after wounded D.G. ) . -- The playing field is a little more even there .

--- But the ones that I really admire ,
( historically ), were the Mountain Men , in the early 1800's . --- The way of life , and the hunting skills .

What I'm fixing to do now ,( retired ), is make a separate hobby out of stalking to within easy-shot range , and photographing Trophy Critters with a lens equal to a 6 Power scope . -- And I can do it all year 'round , ( long as the horns are on ), --- I feel good about that .

Guess that don't make me much of a hunter ?

----------- MMCOUGAR .

NRA Benefactor Member
---- 2nd Amend. -- They could have said , " The Right of Such a Militia " ; ----- But they didn't , they said " . . . . . The right of the PEOPLE " .

Posts: 138 | Location: Far Northwest -- North Rockies , - anytime I can . | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*** RESPONSE TO R X MOORE ***

--- Man, that's the most over-intellectualized description of shooting the Snot out of a poor , sad , Animal , -- I've ever heard .

" ATAVISTIC " , -- I Love It , you must have stayed awake in Philosophy Class , --- Genetics , too .

..... " IMMERSION THERAPY " --- absolutely Great . ----- " Your RESPONSIBILITY " , -- ( Gag , Sputter ) , -- Kill me now . ---- I hope our local Serial-killer doesn't catch on to THAT tortured rationalization ; --- Pappy Freud would have an explanation for dat , no ?

Ahh, but droll truths lurk just below the surface of your observations .

Best thing I've read on one of these Forums , in years . --- You can't be all bad .

------------- MMCOUGAR .

NRA Benefactor Member
---- 2nd Amend. -- They could have said , " The Right of Such a Militia " ; ----- But they didn't , they said " . . . . . The right of the PEOPLE " .

Posts: 138 | Location: Far Northwest -- North Rockies , - anytime I can . | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the critters are tasty

Bring Back the Wooly Mammoth

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To MMCOUGAR -

I stayed awake in all my classes. I had this fondness for thick, black coffee that prevented dozing off. It was all I could do to sit still.

Posts: 58 | Location: Billings, Montana | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I hunt because of what I see and experience, or what I might see or experience. The anticipation of the start of the hunt, and the start of each day of the hunt, is a joy unto itself.

I hunt to expose new hunters to the experience. There is nothing like bringing a new hunter, of any age, out on their first deer hunt. Being next to them when they spot their first deer, seeing the excitement in their eyes and hearing it in their voice.

I hunt not for the Trophy or the meat, yet I enjoy them both, but because I feel at ease in the field.

Finally, I hunt for the memories & the stories. The missed shots, and how much larger that those missed animals get every year. The shared experiences over the years that build lifelong connections with huntin' buddies that may live thousands of miles away and hardly ever get together. But, when we get together, the years just melt away.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
--- In re: - RX MOORE

YAS , ...... maybe even Psychology Class Eh ?

All Lampooning aside , -- your phrase " Immersion " as in " total immersion " -- I've found that an effect takes place when Still-Hunting ( free-stalking game ); -- when you hear somethig , or catch a glimpse of movement , that could be game ; -- something ( that I'm sure is instinctive ) happens and you , automatically , without effort , focus on the persuit , like you rarely focus on anything in life .

It's like all-consuming concentration , on full-automatic . --- That's got to come right from the old Genes .

There's a theory out there , that Folks , especially Males , fall into two hereditary groups , -- those with Hunter Genes and those with Farmer / agriculturist Genes . --- Those with hunter Genes go farther back in evolutionary time , and even Chimps , ( our closest relatives extant ) , are now known to hunt ( especially smaller monkeys ! ) -- ( THAT , gives rise to a whole can-of-worms in Speculative Psychological Theory ) .

When you say you couldn't sit still in Class , -- That wasn't the Coffee (?) , -- maybe that was a major symptom of Adult Attention Defecit Disorder ( ADD ) which comes with the territory , if you've got Hunter Genes .

But I've noticed ( my own experience ) , you go so deep into that total concentration thing , that it's almost like the Zen . -- You get the feeling like you're One , with the surroundings , -- every twig , every leaf , the whole Gestalt , all at once , very intense .

That's living fully , --- in the moment .

Only other time I've experienced that is when shooting a big Wave , -- or during a physical contest / competition . --- Mentally , you're " Flat-Out " , -- and surely , out of yourself , in the usual Ego state of mind .

------------------------------------- Nose To The Trail , --- MMCOUGAR .

NRA Benefactor Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's time spent thinking about life and what you've made of it. It's time spent with people you love such as my 2 boy's who will soon start hunting. It's time getting an understanding about God our creator and the circle of life. It's time taken to steady your nerves when that time for shooting comes and you realize more than ever that your truly alive. It's time away from this crazy world and the challenges that everyday bring. It's just time that is well spent no matter what person is hunting and their reason's for hunting. I'll like the time spent hunting till I breath no more. As someone else said here,"It's a part of me".

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The experience is my satisfaction from hunting. I can't say that I can always rationalize all of my reasons for hunting. But I know that I want to and have to. Almost at rudimentary level.

I cannot get enough of the adventure of being in the bush. To a fault I will always want to see what the draw over the next ridge may hold and the next after that. There is a certain solitude that I fing great comfort in when I am hunting. With hunting I do not lose sight of what I am, where I come from, and the certain finally that comes with hunting.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My great grandfather hunted, as did my grandfather and father. I now have a son and five grandson's and a grandaughter following me and another grandson on the way. I guess you could say it is in our blood. Mainly waterfowl hunters that Deer hunt and for the last 20 years Elk hunts annually with Alaska, Canada and Africa thrown in when possible. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steven30127
posted Hide Post
Great responses....

I hunt because I am immortal. I survived testicular cancer at 32 and decided I wanted to shed the suburban culture that I grew up in and, at least a few times a year, become a participant in the food chain and not just a consumer. I also wanted to teach my 12 year old daughter to hunt. I wanted her to grow up with the experience...something I was not fortunate enough to get.

We just took two bears up in Northern California last weekend!

Posts: 257 | Location: Aliso Viejo, California | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting scratches an itch I have that only hunting can scratch.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I hunt because my Father got me hooked on it when I was young. It is now in my blood and I enjoy the challenge of out smarting a deer. They live where I hunt and know the land by heart. For me to be in the right place see the deer and place the perfect shot is one hell of a rush.

I also enjoy the time with my Father and friends even a bad day hunting is better than a good day working. I take that back there are no bad days hunting even if it is raining. I like hunting in the snow it lets me see first hand if there are any deer in the area or if the dumb ass suppose to be hunters have walked out all of the hunting area have scared all of the deer and forced them to go on private property. Most of those hunters are leaving about the time I arrive telling me about the deer shadows they saw but it wasn’t light enough to shoot. These same people are the ones that I see each year go home empty handed unless they shoot one from there vehicle while road hunting I hope the game warden catches all of them.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I grew up on a farm, and learned to shoot as one might learn any activity related to work, as a job.

Hunting, well that I short of fell into. It brings a sense of satisfaction to be able to put meat on the table. My bride loves venision, and being able to provide cheaper meat is a good feeling.

That, and because of where I grew up, I have to justify my rifles! gunsmile

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
The experience is my satisfaction from hunting. I can't say that I can always rationalize all of my reasons for hunting. But I know that I want to and have to. Almost at rudimentary level.

I cannot get enough of the adventure of being in the bush. To a fault I will always want to see what the draw over the next ridge may hold and the next after that. There is a certain solitude that I fing great comfort in when I am hunting. With hunting I do not lose sight of what I am, where I come from, and the certain finally that comes with hunting.

great post...i connected with it a lot beer

all of these posts are great...thanks and keep it going...it reminds us all of why we hunt and what is important.

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I hunt for food and food only.I spend almost all of my time out in the woods and mostly for work,so I enjoy the campfire more than the work that goes with hunting.I need/want the food or I would just do something more fun then what I do 24/7 anyway..

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simple: they eat my crops; I eat them.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Hunter
posted Hide Post
I hunt for the comradery with my hunting partners, for the healthy meat, for the thrill of the hunt, and just to enjoy the great alberta outdoors!

Posts: 28 | Location: Spruce Grove AB | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you look at the photos of your hunt all you will see is smiles and celebration. When you remember the times before and after the photos, it sinks in that you are alive.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
1) Family tradition- it's the ONLY time I could connect with my father during my teen years. I get to teach my son and daughters something that very few teens know.
2) Inner peace- I cannot replicate ANYWHERE the feeling of calm and well- being I acheive when outdoors, miles from any roads.
3) Meat- I am able to provide for my family in ways that few men will ever experience. Knowing we can survive difficult times brings great peace of mind.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote