Find
Notify
Tools

why do YOU hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt to kill.

It is the most direct and satisfying way to participate in the life-and-death drama that defines living on this planet. Hunting and killing require no justification, rationalization or apologies, and I give none.

I believe the tortured denials and moralizing from people like mmconcolor are bullshit.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*** REPLY TO INTERBOAT ***

-- Re : my post and position in contributing to this thread , -- it's my opinion and position , only .

I don't expect others to necessarily agree or disagree . --- I'm just having fun , and hope it adds to perspective on the subject .

When I read your post , -- it seemed to me you're rationalizing ( to support your own position ), -- denying ( my position ) , and denegrating other's positions ; -- which comes across to me as arrogance .

I've seldom heard a bigger rationalization that to torture the justification for killing an Animal as -- " . . . . to participate in the Life-And-Death -- DRAMA --- that DEFINES living on this planet !

Whew , -- give us a break . Tortured ? -- Over - intellectualized ?

I don't know , -- but to my view , it's just pulling a trigger , -- killing an Animal , -- TAKING A CHANCE of wounding and loosing that Animal ( that ain't nice ) ; -- and the only thing that " justifies " it, is to put meat on the table .

If you enjoy killing for killing's sake , I don't personally think that's healthy ; -- but , as long as you don't break the law , its your mind to deal with .

------------- MMCOUGAR .

NRA Benefactor Member
---- 2nd Amend. -- They could have said , " The Right of Such a Militia " ; ----- But they didn't , they said " . . . . . The right of the PEOPLE " .

Posts: 138 | Location: Far Northwest -- North Rockies , - anytime I can . | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I thought I would bring this topic up instead of starting a new one. I hunt because I am a predator I am a omnivore. It's a way to supplement the food in my household along with the garden that we put out and put up. I have a minimum wage job it it takes some pressure off when the freezer is full of game meat, vegetables, and fruit that has been grown and havested on are property. Y'all inspire me and make me dream of the day that I can walk through the grasses and moss of the Yukon to the Sanoran(sp) desert to the savannahs of Africa and the mountains of Kazakhstan. One day I keep telling myself. I am in the plans now to try and find a affordable wild boar hunt for me and my fiance so thanks everyone for inspiring me!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't need the meat, as my wife points out. I do need something of a quest periodically, and hunting is pretty nearly perfect. A nice road trip to Wyoming or Montana on a couple of the roads I haven't seen yet, a few nights by a campfire, and maybe a well-planned shot at an antelope. Did I mention Utah peaches at the peak of perfection? Put the goat in the freezer and we have a little variety in our diet, a little something unusual. Our old aunts say our family is part Indian, maybe this is baked-in.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I hunt because I like to and because it is part of what makes me be me. That is a good enough reason for anyone.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I hunt because I must, and I will hunt until I can't.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
There is no way I am enough of a wordsmith to explain it well enough to do justice.

Hunting to me can at times be truly a spiritual experience, while at others an entertaining giggle. It can be as serious as any undertaking or as informal as a walk with the dogs.

It is one of the few things in my life that is never done enough to satisfy the desire. The time spent hunting flies by while the time spent waiting to go again is agonizing!

There is the highest level of personal satisfaction when looking at the faces of family and friends during a delicious meal of game that I killed, butchered, and cooked.

The time spent on top of a mountain in reflection makes me feel so peaceful and content there is no substitute. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I love the outdoors and the solitude. I am perfectly happy to go hunting or fishing and not kill or catch anything, but the killing of a big game animal provides a feeling that can not be gotten anywhere else.
It seems like meat that you have killed, butchered, and prepared yourself just tastes better!
I also really enjoy the shooting sports and archery. What better way is there to test your skills than on live game?

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why? Because I enjoy it. That's really all there is to it. I like having the meat, but at the heart of it, I just enjoy my position as an apex predator.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seeing Allen Day's post makes me think how the internet immortalizes us all.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
I really, really enjoy the sight and smell of fresh blood. Roll Eyes

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job."

Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Why do I hunt?
Because I like contributing over $100 per year to the state of California in license fees so they can turn around and use my money to pay welfare recipients to have more babies dancing
That and I like backstrap.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Why Hunt?

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started hunting because it was a family tradition shared by all the young boy cousins and even a view of the nieces. It was unique in that most the boys took their first deer with a bachelor uncle that always had a nice young fat buck picked out before season on his ranch. Even though most of us lived in the country and our dads hunted, it was our tradition.
Traditions still have as much to do with my hunting as the meat or the kill. My own dad passed away many years ago and my best friend’s dad told me he would be my dad. He is now 88 and still gets his license and goes elk or antelope hunting with us.
I have for several years felt the best traditions are the new ones we start with new hunters of any kind. I have taken disabled and youth hunters on their first outings whenever possible and it actually what gets me the most excited each fall. It’s kind of like having a kid get his first present from Santa Claus on Christmas morning, the anticipation for the next year becomes a dream all year long.
Thank you olefish

Posts: 68 | Location: WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote