New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter or Shooter?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was evaluating my reloading log, looking at all of the rifles past and present and noticed a change over the years. I have always been a duck hunter, enjoying everything about the hunt and what goes into it, but always a deer/big game shooter. I have always been more concerned with ballistics, bullet performance and the relationship between hunter and rifle as opposed to hunter and game. I have heard the argument for smaller standard chamberings and better stalking skills and magnum shooters being irresponsable. I have always felt more satisfaction from a 300 yard shot made with precition and finallity than a 15 yard shot, rifle or bow and arrow.
So what are you? A sniper or the locate, close with, and destroy type?

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you put a stalk on a deer or elk, and get within 15 yards, you’ll probably change your mind…

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have. I started deer hunting with a bow and arrow in western MN and didn't know what a tree stand was. Everything was spot and stalk, and stalk for hours and then the shot...and then the real work would start. Gut and drag. Then I discovered the rifle. It helped me actually enjoy deer hunting. Maybe I'm warped.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a terrible answer, but I enjoy both, depending on the circumstances. That said, large animals at close ranges are addictive.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love having confidence in my rifle out to 300 yards. But the closer I get, the harder my heart pounds!

Posts: 1079 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's all about fresh meat. I actually prefer shooting a bunch of caribou on the road (out the window if need be) when there are hundreds crossing; fill up the one ton; pass out to the older folks who can't get out and about anymore. It's called subsistence here in rural Alaska.

I have a 30-378 and also enjoy shooting moose across the river; The boy and I have killed a couple at 800 yards and get a real kick outta those 1200 yard shots. I just wonder how those snipers make those mile & a half shots?

Have called bulls in but not much of a big deal anymore as it once was 20 years back.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
...I enjoy both, ...
Same here.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
...I enjoy both, ...

From HotCore Same here.

Add 1

I like being able to take log shots if they are neccessary, and regardless of what some folks think or say, some situations do not give the option of a close stalk, that is just a fact of life.

My preferred plan however, is even though I use "Magnum" rifles, to get in as close as possible before taking the shot.

For me it is the meat as my idea of a trophy antlered/horned head, is just a good representative specimen.

After that one is killed the females are the target of choice if legal.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy both the ability to shoot at distance and to stalk within hand shake distance.
As you learn more, you want to do more. Where at first you were tickled to load ammo that went bang, now you want ammo that is much more precise and accurate. When you first stalked close to a BG animal, you were elated. Now the shot may be secondary compared to exactly how close can you get to the animal. As your ability and skill grows, you want to test those skills and abilities. Shooting BG at distance has become a cult in it's own right with specialized equipment.
So it's all about man's latent desire to test himself.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Game,I like to get as close to as I can.When I shoot at Prarie Rats,I go for the long shots!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those indecisive ones too. I like the challenge of long shots, and the skill and precision that goes into it. But sneaking up on a whitetail makes my heart pound more than anything.

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are all shooters!

If we were real hunters we would run the animal down and strangle it to death clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67462 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We are all shooters!

If we were real hunters we would run the animal down and strangle it to death clap

Very true. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question should be:

"ARE YOU AN AIMER OR A SHOOTER"

I once took a preacher hunting and he couldn't kill anything, but ended up going home with a shiner from the scope; unreal at church the nx Sunday. I started a rumor that the Pastor was a real fighter when he got drunked up. ha.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are all shooters!

So true!

I enjoy hunting with guys that can slip in and stick em with a bow, and I also enjoy watching the guys that have put in the time and have the ability to plunk em at long range. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a treat to see somebody that's "master of their craft" do what they do.

What's frustrating is when you have guys that have the proper equipment to do both but haven't put in the time or simply don't have the ability to pull off long range shots or put an arrow where it needs to be. I think that all too often guys get the equipment necessary and call it good.

When I am guiding it's my responsibility to know and understand each hunters strengths and weaknesses and do my job to help put them in a position to be succesful. Most of the hunters I have hunted with are very skilled and serious about what they do so I normally just have the best seat in the house to watch good hunters do what they do whether it's stalking in close or making terrific shots. That's why i love my job

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

What you have to remember is, those guys who hunted in time past did nto do it to make it difficult, sporting or ethical.

They hunted the way they did because that is the best they could do with the equipment they had at the time.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67462 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen,

What you have to remember is, those guys who hunted in time past did nto do it to make it difficult, sporting or ethical.

They hunted the way they did because that is the best they could do with the equipment they had at the time.

And they had to be successful or die.

We hunt because we enjoy the hunt.
There are many things that can make a hunt unenjoyable. Wounding is one of those things for most of us.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt until I get into range then It is all shooting after that.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
I would classify myself equal hunter/shooter/sniper.

Started out as a shooter learning, threw game in for a challenging hunt & finally, it's about "sniping" the perfect kill, throughout the entire process.

Interesting topic, BTW.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would classify myself as a hunter.

I'll take the stalking experience close shot everytime.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love having confidence in my rifle out to 300 yards. But the closer I get, the harder my heart pounds!

I'd have to say this is the best answer so far and that I completely agree with it.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zhurh:

"ARE YOU AN AIMER OR A SHOOTER?"

Your proposed question reminded me of something I heard a range officer on a range I used to go to (some years ago) said to me (discussing some of the people on the range) "They're not shooters -they're trigger pullers".

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we were real hunters we would run the animal down and strangle it to death

Saeed,
You are the MAN!
I don't have big enough hands to get them around an elks throat, much less hold on.
And black bears, I don't wanna grab one.

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The fun for me is in getting close.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we were real hunters we would run the animal down and strangle it to death

My hat is off to you Sir.

That is just exactly why there is no such thing in reality as "Fair Chase" hunting by humans.

We have the ability to pick up a rock or a stick or something.

If we did not have that ability and knowledge we would not have become the dominant species on the planet. tu2 beer beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The best part of a hunt is the stalk, whether you take the animal or not.

Best stalk I ever had was getting within 5 yards of a herd of axis. Not easy, given they are smarter than whitetails and travel in bigger groups. Didn't shoot.

But when I'm paying for a hunt; bullet definitely needs to connect successfully.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote