Notify
Tools

Missed my chance at a Tiger today
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Tiger escapes S.F. zoo cage and kills 1

SAN FRANCISCO - A tiger escaped from its cage at the San Francisco Zoo on Tuesday, killing one visitor and injuring two others, police said.

The tiger was shot to death when it started moving toward a group of approaching police officers, said police spokesman Sgt. Steve Mannina. Several officers shot it with handguns, he said.

It was not immediately clear how the tiger escaped.

The attack happened in a cafe at the east end of the zoo shortly after the 5 p.m. closing time, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. The tiger cages are near the center of the zoo.

Officials at first worried that four tigers had escaped, but only one got out of its pen, Mannina said.

Last December, one of the zoo's tigers mauled a zookeeper during a regular public feeding. The 350-pound animal reached through the cage's iron bars and badly lacerated her arm. The zoo's Lion House was temporarily closed during an investigation.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
SAN FRANCISCO, California (CNN) -- An escaped Siberian tiger attacked and killed one zoo patron and injured two others Tuesday afternoon in a cafe at the San Francisco Zoo.

Ouch, nothing like going to lunch and ending up as lunch!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank, "If" the average citizen had managed to Kill the Tiger, do you think the police would have Charged him with anything in Califoney?

The local news on this side of the USA showed the SWAT guys with Riot Shotguns. But, I've learned not to trust ANYTHING they tell me, includi especially politics, firearms related stuff and the weather.

Best of luck "on the next one". Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
dont tase me bro.
grrrrowwwwl.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My God there goes my appetite
shocker

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
In line with KSTEPHENS post (yuck), it was in San Francisco. They probably had a "tiger petting hour" at the cafe. After all, none of those cute little "Disneyfied" critters would ever "think" of hurting anyone!!!

Fjold....sorry about your missed once in a lifetime opportunity. Some of my favorite books as a kid were about hunting tigers.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Apparently four cops took it out with 40S&W handguns as it was attacking one of its victims.

This was the same tiger that attacked a keeper less a year ago.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
polar bear attack in zoo(stay behind the barrier ,please)
http://www.stupidcollege.com/items/Polar-Bear-Attack

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:

Crazy !!!!! What was she thinking ?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by jb:

Crazy !!!!! What was she thinking ?

she confused this animal...

with this animal...

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
There's a tiger-Rescue center with 75 tigers hidden in the woods within 5 miles of my house. Some day, I figure some good-ole Hill-billy brethren will bring in a skin to the local taxidermist's shop for tanning. Better chances than winning the Lotto!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to preface this by saying that I'm not attacking anyone that posted on this thread including the originator, this is just the way I feel.....maybe I'm just getting old, maybe it's because I've got kids that like to go to zoos, but somehow it's pretty hard for me to join in the general joviality thinking of that 17 yr old boy's family losing him on Christmas day. Somethings just ain't so damn funny.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
but somehow it's pretty hard for me to join in the general joviality thinking of that 17 yr old boy's family losing him on Christmas day. Somethings just ain't so damn funny.

I agree, Gato. If this was another Timothy Treadwell-type story I'd be tempted to join in the "joviality", but as far as I can tell this was just a kid at a cafe...

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I heard they(the cops) think they (the victim)may have been taunting the cat,and intentionally or not,somehow helped it to escape.Time will tell,hopefully.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is entirely possible in SF that some PETA types rescued it by helping it out. They are supposedly working the area as a crime scene, so that should tell you something.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:
but somehow it's pretty hard for me to join in the general joviality thinking of that 17 yr old boy's family losing him on Christmas day. Somethings just ain't so damn funny.

I agree, Gato. If this was another Timothy Treadwell-type story I'd be tempted to join in the "joviality", but as far as I can tell this was just a kid at a cafe...

Canuck

odd how he was killed then 300 yards away his 2 friends were singled out for attack by the cat.
videos havent surfaced yet even though we all know they have cameras everywere.

i'd say this looks like a PETA liberation gone bad.
Zoo officials have tried to keep a tight lid on information since the attack, instructing employees not to talk to the press or the public. The atmosphere was tense Wednesday, with tense security officials intervening when any employees appeared as if they were going to speak out.

Police Chief Heather Fong said Wednesday the department opened a criminal investigation to "determine if there was human involvement in the tiger getting out or if the tiger was able to get out on its own."

Jack Hanna, former director of the Columbus Zoo, said such a leap would be an unbelievable feat and "virtually impossible."

Ron Magill, a spokesman at the Miami Metro Zoo, said it was unlikely a zoo tiger could make such a leap, even with a running start.

Zookeepers and tiger experts across the country doubted the animal could have leaped or climbed out of its walled and moated exhibit, a design employed at zoos around the country.

Mary Lynn Haven, director of Tiger Haven, a sanctuary in Tennessee that keeps more than 200 tigers, lions and other big cats. "I do not in any way think this animal scaled a 16- to 20-foot wall. I just don't think that's possible."

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
More to the story apparently, these might not have been innocent kids.

Deadly US zoo tiger may have had escape help: report Thu Dec 27, 10:29 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) - A Siberian tiger that escaped from its den at the San Francisco zoo and mauled three visitors, killing one, may have been helped out of its den by one of the victims, US media reported Thursday.

The San Francisco Chronicle said police found blood and a shoe inside the tiger's enclosure and were investigating the possibility that one of the victims may have dangled a leg over the edge of a moat, aiding the tiger's escape.

The tiger was separated from the public by a waist-high metal fence and a 25 to 30-foot (eight meter) grotto, and police have been baffled as to how the animal could have escaped on its own for its deadly Christmas day rampage.

The newspaper cited unnamed sources close to the investigation as saying that evidence found at the scene "included a shoe and blood in an area between the gate and the edge of the ... moat."

The body of 17-year-old Carlos Sousa Jr. was found near the grotto. He had been killed by a slash to the throat. The other two victims, brothers age 19 and 23 who accompanied Sousa to the zoo, were present when the tiger escaped, the report said.

"The injured victims fled, leaving a trail of blood, which police believe the tiger followed for 300 yards (meters) up a zoo pathway," the report said.

The four-year-old tiger, named Tatiana, attacked one of the brothers before police were able to distract the animal and shoot it dead.

"Somebody created a situation that really agitated her and gave her some sort of a method to break out," zoo director Manuel Mollinedo was quoted as telling the newspaper.

"There is no possible way the cat could have made it out of there in a single leap. I would surmise that there was help," he said. "A couple of feet dangling over the edge could possibly have done it."

The report also said "pinecones and sticks that were found in the moat might have been thrown at the animal. Those items could not have landed in the grotto naturally," according to the sources.

Still, police sergeant Neville Gittens cautioned that "there was no reason to think that the victims were taunting the tiger," it said. The two men have been recovering in hospital and are listed as serious but stable.

The 300-pound (136-kilogram) tiger attacked the arm of a zookeeper during a public feeding session at the facility last year.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is subtle, but the liberal media is working to project the idea that it wasn't the tiger's fault. The teens taunted it, maybe someone threw things in at it that allowed it to escape.

Bred in captivity or not, it is basically a wild animal. Tigers kill - it is their genetic makeup. There is no need to make excuses for the tiger because as an animal it cannot reason right or wrong - it acts on instinct.

And, it doesn't matter if the boys taunted the tiger or not. Zoo officials should be smart enough to design a tiger enclosure that is escape proof.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we outdoors men and women are just suprised at the education, attitude or feelings expressed about wildlife by some of the non hunting public. In some cases they do really think "The lion can lay down with the lamb," if you talk to the lion right, use the correct body posture, or you've got the right facial expression. Seigfried and Roy are good examples of this faulty train.

I just can't imagine thinking to myself that because the tiger is in a zoo it can be any kind of safe so I'll dangle my feet at it. It would seem that in this case the lesson learned came at a severe cost. I hate to even think it, but especially since this happened in California I would guess that even if the victims had baited the tiger they will still have an excellent chance at winning a civil suit. The plaintiff's crook,...sorry I meant lawyer will argue that the victims should have been protected from themselves.

Enough of this, I gotta get out of here. I've got a big load of rotten salmon guts I'm going to smear all over myself and go lay out on the tundra in hopes of attracting a big brown bear so I can get some close pictures.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
When I am at the zoo, I always feel like I should have a .375 caliber rifle with me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's all speculation at this point. Without eyewitness accounts it may remain that way.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Call me paranoid, but things like this make me glad I ALWAYS carry my handgun when going to the zoo (and everywhere else). A tiger attacked visitors at a local zoo here in Tampa last year. Some dumbass worker forgot to latch the cage of the tiger's pen!

And seeing that idiot woman with the polar bear - you know, honestly, in that situation, I don't know if I would have helped free her - that idiot woman needs to be removed from the breeding pool so she doesn't pass along her "stupid" to another generation.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are now comments that the wall was only 12.5 ' high !!! Instead of the minimum 16'4" standard !! Eeker I certainly wouldn't trust 12.5' to stop a tiger. ..Does anyone know the height the they put stands when they hunted tiger in India ?? There was a recent post of a video of a tiger mauling a mahout on an elephant. How high is an Indian elephant ??....Now I don't feel undergunned carrying my 40 S&W HK pistol in the woods. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
There are now comments that the wall was only 12.5 ' high !!! Instead of the minimum 16'4" standard !! Eeker I certainly wouldn't trust 12.5' to stop a tiger. ..Does anyone know the height the they put stands when they hunted tiger in India ?? There was a recent post of a video of a tiger mauling a mahout on an elephant. How high is an Indian elephant ??....Now I don't feel undergunned carrying my 40 S&W HK pistol in the woods. Roll Eyes

12.5 feet high when measured from the waterline of a moat.
go hop into a 9 foot deep pool and then try to climb a smooth wall.

one of us
posted Hide Post

This is my son at one of the local Roadside Zoos. I didn't take the picture, but I often say to myself, somehow this is not a really good idea. When this thing get's to about 500 lbs., he is not going to have a very respectful attitude to humans.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:

12.5 feet high when measured from the waterline of a moat.
go hop into a 9 foot deep pool and then try to climb a smooth wall.

now I hear the "moat"never had water in it.And it passed inspection.

One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
KSephens,

That Tigger photo is why they invented the .470NE Double gun!

BOOM

shocker

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had someone tell me that they were going to someone's house in Florida where they keep several hundred lions, tigers and leopards. Several are loose and wandering around the house so he said. I told him that I would not be visiting there any time soon as these cats are genetically programed and physically equipped to make cold cuts out of any monkey type critter they can catch. They are not disney cartoons.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is entirely possible in SF that some PETA types rescued it by helping it out. They are supposedly working the area as a crime scene, so that should tell you something.

Jstevens,

Standard police protocol is treat any scene like that as a crime scene for the collection and preservation of evidence for any future adminstrative hearings that may involve the detrmination of fact in a civil or regulatory hearing. It really doesn't tell you anything.

If the police don't treat it as a crime scene they will be ridiculed by every civil, adminsitravtive, and non profit entity.

You also have the issue that sometimes failure to comply with regulatory requiremenst in a negligent manner can be charged criminally.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hardly PETA. Story is out the brothers were packing slingshots.

Posts: 16140 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that's some pretty gutsy shooting with a .40, no matter how many there were

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
Hardly PETA. Story is out the brothers were packing slingshots.
Any update on the story?

Our right coast Media Readers are saying there is a lady who witnessed the boys "taunting" the animals and they appeared to be "high" on something. No idea at all if there is any truth to it because our Media Readers don't seem to put a lot of effort into their jobs.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slingshots and vodka used by the three culprits (not victums) are not conducive to good relations with tigers.
That is what I heard on Fox news in El Paso....so....no wonder this idiots got a criminal lawyer, Mark Garragos, they will soon need one...and their damn cell phones and text messages need to be examined...pronto...maybe they got what they deserved...but the tiger did not....

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote