Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Henderson KO's NM Buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted
I had a great hunt this past weekend down in NM. I had a friend of mine, reigning PrideFC Champion and current UFC fighter Dan Henderson, come down and hunt for a "management" buck on a ranch owned by another friend of mine Olin Clawson.

We had two options, our first choice was a mature heavy horned 3x4 with a kicker that would have grossed in the mid 170's, and our second choice was a buck named Camelback due to the hump on his back. This deer is 28" wide and really no forks to speak of but is super old, 10+yrs.

Unfortunately we could not turn up the bigger buck so Dan decided to take Camelback on Tuesday morning. Here is a pic of Dans buck

Once Dan was done we hunted for me. Tuesday evening found Dan, Olin and I hunting some of the most scenic rim country you could ever imagine. Dan and I glassed in one spot and Olin worked his way down the rim to glass some other areas. Dan and I had glassed 2 good bull elk and were looking for deer when Olin came running back right before dark to tell us about a group of 3 bucks he had spotted a mile or so away. We tried to find them in the spotting scope but couldnt turn them up in the fading light.

The next morning found up just above where Olin had spotted the 3 bucks the night before. We had been there about 30 minutes and Dan made the spot of the hunt. He found one of the bucks standing in a thick group of pinons. Olin took a look and thought that it was definately one of the bucks but not the best of the group. I decided to bail off the rim and get closer to see if I could spot the other bucks in the thick timber from a diferent vantage point that was actually within range. Dan and Olin stayed up on the rim to glass them if I blew them out. Once I had arrived on the ridge I could see right where the buck was bedded down. I wasnt there 10 minuted and he was up and moving towards an opening. I could have shot this buck a couple of times as he walked in the trees but held off hoping to see the biggest of the group of 3. Olin told me that he was a big 4x4 with extras. Unfortunately there wasnt another shot opportunity and the other 3 bucks never materialized. Here is a pic of the deer I passed up

As I sat there watching the buck Dan spotted move off into the thick pinons I glanced over and saw a giant matate with the mono still in it. This was definately worth bailing off of the rim. The last person to touch that mono was an indian and I sat there and tried to imagine what their life was life back then. I wondered if they had seen giant deer right off that ridge and what kind of meals were prepared with these tools. I left the matate sitting there just as it has been for centuries. Here are a couple pics of the matate and mono

The memories of this hunt will last a lifetime, it just doesnt get any better! All in all we killed a great deer that had lived a very long life, seen a couple bigger deer and glassed 3 bulls that would gross over 380". Great friends, big bucks and bulls and scenic country. It reminded me why I love to hunt

Drum

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great adventure. Congratulations!

X

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was Hendo a cool guy?

It looks like you guys had a good time.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Neat! good deer, wonderful "find".

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barutmt:
Was Hendo a cool guy?

It looks like you guys had a good time.

Dan is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Its funny, we were in the middle of nowhere and people recognized him. His fight with Quinton Jackson really got him a lot of the notariety that he has deserved for being one of the best fighters in the world.

A couple of years ago Dan and I went out in Denver and hardly anybody recognized him, that wouldnt happen today. Dan takes it all in stride, he said that if it werent for the fans he wouldnt have a job.

It looks like he will be fighting on Super Bowl weekend in Vegas. If you dont know who he is you should google and/or you tube him. He is a fun fighter to watch

Drum

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see him fighting here in the states now, it's easier to catch the matches. I'd really like to see him take on Chuck Liddel. I think Dan would take it as he's a much more well-rounded fighter than Chuck.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt. You are right, that is why we huunt.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"A couple of years ago Dan and I went out in Denver and hardly anybody recognized him, that wouldnt happen today."

I don't know what Dan looks like but I do know what you look like. Congrats to all of you on a fun hunt.

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I left the matate sitting there just as it has been for centuries

Thanks for leaving that matate in place! It was the right thing to do. Most people don't have enough respect for antiquities to leave them be. I came across one in far West Texas several years ago, but it was hollowed out of a piece of bedrock in a way that it couldn't be carried off.

Your reward was a great Mulie!

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Good mgt. deer and a cool find on that matate.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful of you to leave the artifacts, it's humbling to know that we "white-eyes" weren't the first to hunt this great country.
Good hunt for a good buck!
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck!Great Hunt!Congratulations! thumb patriot

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote