Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Put this here, maybe should have been placed elsewhere, but why does it seem that only the folks that hunt or have hunted Africa, are the only ones that should be considered hunters??????? Are not hunts conducted in Europe/Asia, Australia and North America actually hunts?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You and more friggin questions to keep your name in the spotlight!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your not a hunter. Everyone else is. There I said it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops I meant "you're" not "your". But you get the point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did not have anything better to do and do not recall seeing anywhere that a person could not ask questions on this place.

The MSB threads have gone somewhere beyond ridiculous and absurd. I realize this is an international site with members from all over the planet except maybe Antarctica, however there might be one down there.

I agree to the premise that Africa is the Number One destination for many hunters. It does seem however, to me at least, that there is a certain amount of snobbery when it comes down to even private face to face discussions, not just internet discussions, that people that have not ever went to Africa are somewhat viewed in a different manner than even someone who has been only one time.

I am happy that folks go there on hunts, hey that is what they want to do, more power to them. I just happen to believe that folks that don't ever go for whatever their reason are just as much of a hunter as anyone that goes over there. I will just say that I view such things as another of those little chinks in the overall impression of how hunters react to each other.

If other people do not see it the same way I do, that is their prerogative. I am not asking anyone to agree with me, I am just making an observation while setting here waiting on some folks to show up for a hog and turkey hunt.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

I agree to the premise that Africa is the Number One destination for many hunters. It does seem however, to me at least, that there is a certain amount of snobbery

I think what you may see as "snobbery" is more correctly eye-rolling by the Africa hunters when someone with no African experience tries to educate us on African hunting.

Just a guess.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy, I would imagine the USA is the #1 hunting destination in the world. We are lucky most of us don't have to go very far to get to that destination.

As far as Africa hunters go, they are just like every other slice of the population in the world, they range from snobs to good ole boys. Just like doctors, American hunters, carpenters, bartenders,AR posters, etc.

Crazy, do you have an App that is a random question generator?

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:

Here, I wrote basic instructions for Crazy question generator.

Crazy question generator:

1. Ask a question along the same lines as all the ridiculous questions you ask.
2. Post.
3. Receive replies telling you that this is ridiculous.
4. Get offended or mad and cry, or complain.
5. Go to step 1.

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:

Here, I wrote basic instructions for Crazy question generator.

Crazy question generator:

2. Post.
4A. Argue with anyone who happens to agree with you.
5. Go to step 1.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:

lol!!!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recently one of our fellow members went on his first African hunt. Anyone who thought he wasn't a great hunter because he didn't have extensive African experience doesn't really know what makes a real hunter.

That first time African hunter posts here as ravenr.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy:
nilly

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not agree that Africa is the number one spot to hunt the world over. There are numerous equally attractive. I have hunt some of them. Not all that my bucket list includes. Odd that you would pose this question. It appears that it is for argument sake ONLY. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me add that you are a hunter regardless of location, continent, or locale. Hunt frogs, hogs, warthogs, etc. You are a true hunter!! MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Well ... I had a nice long response typed up using reason and logic. Then just realized it's a black hole. Enter at your own risk and don't expect to return!

nilly

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter,

Brilliant! animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody has entirely too much time on their hands.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put this here, maybe should have been placed elsewhere ...

Hmm, Me thinks it would fit well here!

http://forums.accuratereloadin...rums/a/frm/f/5221043

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Put this here, maybe should have been placed elsewhere ...

Hmm, Me thinks it would fit well here!

http://forums.accuratereloadin...rums/a/frm/f/5221043

In that forum but in this thread

http://forums.accuratereloadin...5221043/m/4281040881

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Recently one of our fellow members went on his first African hunt. Anyone who thought he wasn't a great hunter because he didn't have extensive African experience doesn't really know what makes a real hunter.

Part of the reason African hunters can be smug is because they know that they have seen the greatest game-lands on earth and that those who have not been there simply can't begin to grasp the wonder of Africa.

Funny, ravenr was the guy that came to mind when I read this thread. I have had to good fortune to visit his place and look over his trophies.

What impresses me about a hunter like ravenr is that he has been "walking the walk" for several decades and taking impressive animals under rough conditions.

Killing an animal on a guided hunt does not make you a "great" hunter. Most guided hunts could be successfully undertaken by an 11 year old kid or an overweight, half blind 80 year old. With a guide holding your hand killing a trophy usually( usually!!! ) does not require any real skill. And nowhere is this more true than Africa. Even unguided hunting in Africa is pretty easy. Far, far easier than wilderness hunting in America.

I'm not trying to step on toes, just stating my opinion.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason. My experienced is different. I have hunted here at home in central Idaho for part of 2 centuries and I have had easy easy hunts and horrible hell like hunts and most every type in between. I once got an elk out whole, and that is the dictionary definition of an easy hunt here. My experience in Africa has been about the same, from incredibly easy to horribly hard like hiking 7 days in the mountains of Maasailand for a buffalo, to 8 long days of hiking in hellacious heat and Harmattan dust for a Lord Derby Eland. Don't even get me started on the lack of comfort involved with a rainforest hunt. To my knowledge there are no hunts in Africa that are easier than executing a deer from a tree stand, but there are plenty that are just as easy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Part of the reason African hunters can be smug is because they know that they have seen the greatest game-lands on earth and that those who have not been there simply can't begin to grasp the wonder of Africa.

Funny, ravenr was the guy that came to mind when I read this thread. I have had to good fortune to visit his place and look over his trophies.

What impresses me about a hunter like ravenr is that he has been "walking the walk" for several decades and taking impressive animals under rough conditions.

Killing an animal on a guided hunt does not make you a "great" hunter. Most guided hunts could be successfully undertaken by an 11 year old kid or an overweight, half blind 80 year old. With a guide holding your hand killing a trophy usually( usually!!! ) does not require any real skill. And nowhere is this more true than Africa. Even unguided hunting in Africa is pretty easy. Far, far easier than wilderness hunting in America.

I have a pretty long track record of agreeing with your position Jason. Well said.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy, you seem to really have some sort of issue. Every couple of days you post something along these lines and for the life of me I can't fathom exactly what point you are trying to make other that stir up shit.You seem to be intentionally trying to make enemies, that isn't healthy.

I suggest you take some time and go outside and enjoy the sunshine. Maybe go do some turkey hunting or catch some fish. Watch the sunset. Have a glass of ice tea and sit in the shade.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Above all else......stay off the computer

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me add that you are a hunter regardless of location, continent, or locale. Hunt frogs, hogs, warthogs, etc. You are a true hunter!! MTG

Some one that actually understands the concept.

It does not matter/should not matter where you have hunted, it is the fact that you have hunted is all that should matter.

Take time to look and see how many and who do not believe that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. Post.
5. Go to step 1.

Absolutely spot on! jumping

John Milton Paradise Lost
quote:
The mind is it's own place, and in itself it can make a heaven of hell or a hell of heaven

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not offended v
/mad/crying

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It does not matter/should not matter where you have hunted, it is the fact that you have hunted is all that should matter.

So, by your definition if a guy "hunts" hamsters in a pet shop and calls it hunting it is hunting?

You are trying(I think/hope) to point out that we should not be dividing ourselves, but rather, we should band together.

You make a great point, but what of the other side: the self-sufficient American hunter who looks at the African hunter as little more than a "dude" with a rifle?

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Killing an animal on a guided hunt does not make you a "great" hunter. Most guided hunts could be successfully undertaken by an 11 year old kid or an overweight, half blind 80 year old. With a guide holding your hand killing a trophy usually( usually!!! ) does not require any real skill.

Talk about stupidazzz things to say....this is a right up there.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So, by your definition if a guy "hunts" hamsters in a pet shop and calls it hunting it is hunting?

You are trying(I think/hope) to point out that we should not be dividing ourselves, but rather, we should band together.

You make a great point, but what of the other side: the self-sufficient American hunter who looks at the African hunter as little more than a "dude" with a rifle?

donttroll

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere in "small town America" there is a young person who hunts sparrows with a BBgun
or tadpoles in the nearby pond.
Never seen an elephant and has yet to fire their 1st shot at a deer or turkey,but they are "hunters"
Its preprogramed into our DNA.
At least it was mine, I was that kid that bounced out of bed in the morning and "to hell with breakfast" I gotta go check my mouse traps in the chicken coop.Ever tried to skin a mouse?
Somewhere in "small town America" there are more of us, though sadly its giving way to
"indoor sports" (Xbox and video games)
Lets not be as worried about if others think
"we are hunters" and focus on what we can do to promote the time we spend outdoors.
Take a kid outdoors and I specifically didn't use the word hunting because as all of us know the hours spent outdoors represent the TRUE value of hunting.Dead animal or not.

I want to issue a challenge to all who read or post here.
Lets look beyond our own wants and
extend ourselves to these tadpole hunters.
The rewards will be far greater than
hanging a 200 inch Mule deer on the wall.
Somewhere out there is a kid that is being left out, for whatever reason.
FIND THEM, "Hunt" for them, track them to the lair and extend yourself.
This is far more valuable IMO.

AzWriter and Mr.Brown
I humbly Thank you for the kind words.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post ravenr!!! I'm doing exactly that next weekend when I mentor a couple youngsters on their first turkey hunt. It's much more fun than shooting one yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote for the greatest hunters of 2013 are the Navy Seals!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Killing an animal on a guided hunt does not make you a "great" hunter. Most guided hunts could be successfully undertaken by an 11 year old kid or an overweight, half blind 80 year old. With a guide holding your hand killing a trophy usually( usually!!! ) does not require any real skill. I'm not trying to step on toes, just stating my opinion.

quote:
Talk about stupidazzz things to say....this is a right up there.

No shit! +1 on that one.

And a lot of people could accomplish great hunting feats Roll Eyes if they only had to work occasionally and their wife pretty much supported them. Is that what hunting is about?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put this here, maybe should have been placed elsewhere, but why does it seem that only the folks that hunt or have hunted Africa, are the only ones that should be considered hunters??????? Are not hunts conducted in Europe/Asia, Australia and North America actually hunts?

Where the heck did you come up with this idea? I've been lucky enough to hunt Africa as much as my budget would allow over the last 20 years and I don't hold those hunting experiences in any higher regard than many of the other hunts I've had over the last 55 years In the field.

The buck I almost stepped on when I was nine and just stood there with my mouth dropped open never raising my 22, the wily old black ducks I finally outsmarted in the creek below my house when I was 12, the first buck I actually killed the week after my Dad died, the buck we tracked all day and finally finished, the first little Bullwinkle moose Sadie and I took together after I moved to Alaska, the first bull moose I called in that I killed, the ancient brown bear sow I took as she set in the sun watching the Bering Sea on what was probably her last fall were all equally as thrilling as the lion I took this last Sept. All of these hunts are equally burnt in to my memory. It's all hunting mice to elephants, DIY or guided. The experiences are just different.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12929 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fishing

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I almost didn't read this thread because I've had Crazyass on ignore for quite some time but didn't have much going on on a Sunday morning.
The real hunters know who they are and it is obvious by their body of posts who they are. Then there are some posers....
If you have to say how powerful you are or how much class you have, you have neither.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shawnmc:
And a lot of people could accomplish great hunting feats Roll Eyes if they only had to work occasionally and their wife pretty much supported them. Is that what hunting is about?

Huh? What in the world does this have to do with anything?