knock..knock..Drummond...yer gonna get brain damage! shocker

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
knock..knock..Drummond...yer gonna get brain damage! shocker

Already got it I'm afraid. I'm dumber having even responded on this pathetic thread Big Grin

Hope you're well bud! Give me a shout sometime

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you sat patiently for hours for a particular deer to show himself? Have you crawled in prickly pear for 100's of yards for a shot at a good 'loper? Have you stalked slowly to get close enough to gig that big bull frog? Have you lain prone, contorting your body to take that long shot at a smart old rock chuck? Mister yodel pup has come in down wind to your calling position. Can you keep your cool, don't move an inch,to perhaps get a shot at him? Have you stalked a winding trout stream keeping your shadow away from the stream edge for that big browny? All is hunting. All is an adventure. Location, no matter. Continent, no matter. New hunter, old hunter, no matter. Go for it!! MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

Killing an animal on a guided hunt does not make you a "great" hunter. Most guided hunts could be successfully undertaken by an 11 year old kid or an overweight, half blind 80 year old. With a guide holding your hand killing a trophy usually( usually!!! ) does not require any real skill.

I'm not trying to step on toes, just stating my opinion.

Talk about stupidazzz things to say....this is a right up there.

Do you disagree with my post? If so which part? Do you believe that killing an animal "on a guided hunt" usually does take real hunting skill?

To clarify my point: I never said guided hunts never take skill, I never said that guide hunts don't require physical effort, and I never said that only unskilled hunters go on guided hunts. Quite the contrary, skilled hunters do take guided hunts.

My point is that having killed any number of animals on guided hunts does not necessarily prove anything regarding ones hunting skill. And I have to agree with CHC that too many guys around here seem to be placing themselves on a pedestal(although I would say that the division is more international hunters verses close to home hunters).

Stolen from another thread:
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
i guided people with hugh trophy rooms that they dont know anything about guns or shooting

quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
Originally posted by shawnmc:
And a lot of people could accomplish great hunting feats Roll Eyes if they only had to work occasionally and their wife pretty much supported them. Is that what hunting is about?

Huh? What in the world does this have to do with anything?

Drummond
I think he is trying to imply(in a round-about way) that Type-A workaholics go on guided hunts out of sheer necessity. And at the same time he is taking a swipe at the guys who place hunting above the "pursuit of wealth" on their priority list. You know, the guys who run traplines, cut firewood or take odd jobs so that they can make sure that they can get out to hunt all the time. The guys who grow old with nothing in the bank but have enough hunting stories to see them through. I have always admired those guys....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTGunner:
Have you sat patiently for hours for a particular deer to show himself? Have you crawled in prickly pear for 100's of yards for a shot at a good 'loper? Have you stalked slowly to get close enough to gig that big bull frog? Have you lain prone, contorting your body to take that long shot at a smart old rock chuck? Mister yodel pup has come in down wind to your calling position. Can you keep your cool, don't move an inch,to perhaps get a shot at him? Have you stalked a winding trout stream keeping your shadow away from the stream edge for that big browny? All is hunting. All is an adventure. Location, no matter. Continent, no matter. New hunter, old hunter, no matter. Go for it!! MTG

Well said! Reading your post I couldn't help but be reminded of the article PHC wrote about hunting dragonflies with a BB gun in his Florida backyard.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
donttroll trolls need to eat too!

But we must remember that this is not real. It's the internet.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been on many guided hunts in Alaska, Canada, the lower 48, Africa, Scotland, Austria, New Zealand, Mongolia and maybe a few other places I have forgotten.

Until my last trip earlier this month for leopard, I have always shot my primary species. The same cannot be said for my DIY hunts.

The guy who can consistently go out and kill 6x6 elk on his own is a better hunter than the guy who does the same thing with a guide. I admire those guys. We all take different paths to get to where we want to go in this world.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
[quote]But we must remember that this is not real. It's the internet.[/quote]

While some folks seem to want to execute me for asking a question, while others seem to actually to discuss the subject as I stated it, I got to spend from 6 a.m. Saturday till around 1 p.m. Sunday, minus 4 or 5 hours of sleep guiding a couple of guys after hogs and helping a friend get his 16 year old son his very first turkey.

When I get the pictures I will post them on here, hopefully pictures of a dead turkey and a dead "buzz tail" won't raise the ire of too many. I think it is still okay to post pictures on here but I could be wrong.

Only managed to get one shot taken at one hog, but the hunter missed even with plenty of fresh sign and plenty of bait, we only saw two pigs. My friend and his son were at another property watching a feeder for turkeys and only saw 6 or 7 hens. At the feeder myself and the two hunters were watching we ended up having about 40 birds, almost half gobblers, visit the feeder we were watching. One of the hunters got some pictures at about 25 or 30 yards from the stand of one gobbler with a 10 to 12 inch beard and 1 1/4 inch or so spurs.

Had a really great time with a great group while they were here. One of the guys I was guiding did get a "buzz tail" a little while before they left Sunday.

The best news was that my friend and his son went to the place where we saw all of the turkeys on Saturday and the son got a jake with about a 4 inch beard. The bird weighed 18 pounds. It was a great weekend spent with good people, even had fajitas for supper on Saturday night.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had a really great time with a great group while they were here.

That's what it is all about. Good for them and you.

No bravado, not thumping your chest about your minimaxed custom hand made magnum, one shot 500yd running shot kills, and exploits of your $25k hunt right before you left for your $55K hunt that was like last years $15k hunt. Or how you single handedly tracked the beast without the aid of a guide or outfitter or PH or band of trackers. You know, the normal BS!

quote:
But we must remember that this is not real. It's the internet.

Yours is real!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC---The fan on that bird the kid got looks like a mature bird with a solid fan, rather than a jake that has the taller middle tail feathers. Maybe it's just the way the picture was taken since a mature bird should have more than a 4" beard unless he lost part of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was the way we holding the bird, he only had about 1/2" spurs. It was his first bird and a decent one to start out with.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's definitely a good bird for a jake and for a first one for the kid too! Our annual NWTF Chapter kids hunt out at Fort Custer near Battle creek is this weekend. We will start with a class, sightin, and BBQ Friday evening. Then we each take a kid out on Saturday and Sunday to show them the thrills of listening for gobbles, etc., and hopefully to bag a bird or two. It's my favorite weekend of the year with Spring in the air and things just starting to green up. With the weather forecast now changing from rain to what looks to be perfect the whole time with some sun and barely any breeze, it should be loads of fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun
After you get them "piled and plucked"
Don't forget to post.Share with the rest of us.
Have a safe and sucessful weekend.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ravenr---I have all my pictures saved in my computer and have no idea how to post pictures the way this particular website is set up. If you would care to send me your email addy, I can send you several photos to post up from previous hunts and this coming one after it's over.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pm inbound

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's definitely a good bird for a jake and for a first one for the kid too! Our annual NWTF Chapter kids hunt out at Fort Custer near Battle creek is this weekend. We will start with a class, sightin, and BBQ Friday evening. Then we each take a kid out on Saturday and Sunday to show them the thrills of listening for gobbles, etc., and hopefully to bag a bird or two. It's my favorite weekend of the year with Spring in the air and things just starting to green up. With the weather forecast now changing from rain to what looks to be perfect the whole time with some sun and barely any breeze, it should be loads of fun.

Best of Luck to all those young hunters, Congratulations to all of you that will spend the time passing on the tradition.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Most guided hunts could be successfully undertaken by ... or an overweight, half blind 80 year old.

I have a pretty long track record of agreeing with your position Jason. Well said.

Easy there lol! I could resemble that remark in a few years... I don't think anyone would argue that DIY hunting in the wilderness (no guides) wherever you are is harder than going with a guide who knows every foot of the area, lives there year round and has trackers to lead you to your game. However as far as I'm concerned (and almost all of my hunting has been DIY in the Rocky Mountain remote areas) they are all true hunts and many a Rocky Mountain hunter's dream has been to go on a guided African Safari (as is mine). I hope to go soon.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish I could hunt all over the world, but for now Im kinda stuck in South Africa... Big Grin

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wish I could hunt all over the world, but for now Im kinda stuck in South Africa...

Stuck? Did you really say stuck?????

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To hunt with a guide is not for all. To do the DIY is not for all. I have been fortunate enuf to experience both. I hunt the Rocky Mountains in MT and the eastern part in "The Breaks" country. Yes, I have failed, and yes I have been successful in my hunting quests. I have hunted sparrows with my Red Ryder. I have hunted and taken many plains game animals in RSA. I might ad that not all were not one shot kills. I make no claim of being a crack rifleman. I have been fortunate to be able to hunt this vast and much wandered land. Is it not the same to climb a back land hill in your youth as compared to climbing above the tree line as an adult? I think not! Each is an an adventure. Both provide for memories and a learned experience. Yet, as I age, and I am getting older, I find that all has been an adventure. Am I a better hunter for having hunted on my own much of The time? Am I less of a hunter for being guided? Who is to make that true determination? I believe that would be my own determination upon reflection of past hunts and adventures. My trophy room is full of big game animals, waterfowl, upland birds and artifacts. Does this truly make me a great hunter? Not necessarily! Each must make their own determination.

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really great post, it should be how we feel about ourselves, not the Kangaroo Court of AR and their opinion.

Thank You for that comment. It is how we feel about ourselves as individuals because there will always be people that can find fault with another individuals way of doing things.