THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Perfect caliber for Black buck and Axis deer.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfect caliber for Black buck and Axis deer.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have booked a hunt for free ranging Blackbuck for next february. I also will have chance at a free ranging Axis at the same time. I am going to put a barrell on my Ecore, so I am open to anything. What caliber would you recomend. I am told shots are between 75 - 200 yards.
Thanks in advance,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I've shot blackbuck with a .223 (~250 yards) and 6.5x55 (~120 yards); both worked well. I've shot axis with a .50 cal muzzleloader (110 yards) and .44 mag (~60 yards); both worked well. I'd be real tempted to use a .25-06 since you're getting a new barrel. Load it with 110 grain Accubonds or Interbonds and it'll shoot very flat for open country antelope (blackbuck or pronghorn, which you just have to go hunt Wink) and it'll hit plenty hard to knock down an axis (or a muley if you do a combo with your pronghorn Wink again).

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any caliber less than .308 is more than enough. I second the .25-06 suggestion and a .270 is a great choice too. How about a .243?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much any cartridge that would be good for open country deer. 25/06 would be at the top of my list.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie,

If you are hunting them here in Texas you might ask your host what the terrain is like. Some areas are pretty thick, some areas are down right impenetrable. If you do not put an animal down right there and do not have a good blood trail, you stand a good chance to loose your animal.
Blackbuck usually weigh around 100 lbs. Axis stags weight 180 lbs. up. I've used 7mm-08, 325 wsm and 45-70 on the axis I've shot, and 7mm-08 on the blackbuck. If you're sitting in a ground blind thats one thing, but free ranging blackbuck can be a bitch to get close to. Axis can be pretty darn skittish also. Both are fine eating and the hides are fine. Most axis should be out of velvet soon and blackbuck are horned. Good luck and post pix of your hunt.
GWB

axis stag, 325 wsm, 180 gr nosler ballistic tip, +/- 120 yds.

Axis stag, 7mm-08, 140gr barnes triple shock, +/- 80 yds.

Axis doe, 45-70 400 gr speer flat point, +/- 70 yds

Blackbuck buck, 7mm-08, 140 gr nosler accubond, +/- 220 yds.

how sweet it is

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Cooked up some blackbuck last night. Excellent stuff. I like it even more than Axis, which is the favorite of many.
Axis are very athletic animals and are made to absorb a lot of punishment. The dorsal neck skin is about an inch thick on big bucks! I like a 270 class cartridge.
My biggest axis with my late friend Kenny S.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine looking stag there guy. Did you take him with the 270.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
GWB, IIRC, used a 30/06 on that one. With some of those monster hogs of Texas liable to show up just about anywhere, I remember why I took the /06.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10/4 on that. I don't go out at my lease without a sidearm. Break your leg and those hogs will eat you up. I've actually been charged and had to shoot a pretty good sized boar. Seven shots from a glock 36 before he dropped at my feet. Two days before my nuts dropped.
The background looks like the Texas hill country, yes/no?
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.25-06 Remington! I like the 25 wssm. My buddy uses a 25 Souper.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:

The blackbuck you are holding with your right hand is a keeper as you say up there isn't it ?

It's a super great trophy !!

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would a 30-06 with a really light bullet be considered way to much over kill on these animals.
I have one in the safe is why I ask.
Thanks,
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25-06 or a 260 would be great. 25-06 with 120 Nosler Partition got this one.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
Would a 30-06 with a really light bullet be considered way to much over kill on these animals.
I have one in the safe is why I ask.
Thanks,
W.

No reason to go "really" lightweight. I wouldn't necessarily feel overgunned with a 150-165 grain bullet. Required? Probably not. Too much? Nope. If you have it, use it. I shot an exis doe with a 260 grain bullet out of a muzzleloader. Shot a little buck with a 240 grainer from a .44 mag. I used 140 grainers in my 6.5 for blackbuck.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
think the 06 could be your best choice.
repels charging hogs
shoots thru light brush
leaves good hole in either critter
and you already own one
let us know how you make out

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my Axis and Blackbuck with a 270 Win and 110gr TSX's.

Anything from 25 caliber on up should work fine with proper bullet placement.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
I have booked a hunt for free ranging Blackbuck for next february. I also will have chance at a free ranging Axis at the same time. I am going to put a barrell on my Ecore, so I am open to anything. What caliber would you recomend. I am told shots are between 75 - 200 yards.
Thanks in advance,
W.Smiler

What do you deer hunt with?

You should be fine with any of the standard calibers, short or long, form .25 thru .30 caliber.

If it was me I would go with a .25-06 or a .270 Win. JMO

Posts: 144 | Location: East MS | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will second comments as to Axis being tougher than some give credit, and I can assure you that the average Axis in Texas is bigger than the average whitetail buck by a pretty good margin. I've seen Axis absorb quite a bit of power before going down.

I like the 270 class recommendation also, and with a light bullet it isn't that much over the top for blackbuck. Your .06 with lighter bullets/loads will be just perfect.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will go with the standard cal , and make a good shot . I have been in on more than 300 Blackbuck kills and as many or more of Axis .Both can be very simple WITH CORRECT BULLET PLACEMENT . BUT and A BIG BUT if shot poorly the Blkbuck turns into a monster LOL, and soaks up lead that will give a Cape Buff a run for his money .My fellow Hillcountry guides know what I speak!! The Axis can get bad but not like the BlkBuck...

Posts: 60 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: 09 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Bring the big game rifle you shoot best out to 250 yards and don't look back. Be sure to practice at 200 yards from field shooting positions. Now, if you "need" a new rifle for the hunt, I would recommend a 7mm-08 or something of that ilk. FYI-Axis are roughly twice the size of our whitetails. Let us know where the Axis steak BBQ is going to be...........

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I and my cousin used my .257 Wthby and my buddy used his 7-08 on the animals you mentioned with great success on a Texas hunt a couple years back. Use whatever you shoot best and have fun.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
25 wssm or 25 o6 would be just right with 100 gr ttsx but any medium rifle yu like would do just fine they are not hard to kill and the blackbuck is pretty small.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
killed them with a hot 22's (22-250,220 swift) but hard to beat 25's or the 6.5's for this kind of work.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308 would be my choice

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote