THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Conservation  Hop To Forums  African Lions Hunting Management And Ecology    Uplisting of the African Lion as an endangered species...it has NOT gone away!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Aaron Neilson, ledvm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uplisting of the African Lion as an endangered species...it has NOT gone away!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. But there is/was no balance in his commentary. It was all anti-hunting. No concern about loss of wildlife areas etc..

If I didn't know better this esteemed long-term researcher is suggesting hunting is the sole reason for the lion decline.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
I agree. But there is/was no balance in his commentary. It was all anti-hunting. No concern about loss of wildlife areas etc..

If I didn't know better this esteemed long-term researcher is suggesting hunting is the sole reason for the lion decline.

Lane - The fact is, we both know Packer's motives, just as we know his temperment. JJ warned him about his articles, and the interpretation that would be used by the antis to go after a lion up-listing, and lion "hunting" as the root of the problem. Now he's asking JJ what he can to do help - when what he's already done is help put the "nail in the coffin" for the future of Africa's wild lions.

We both know he's often played both sides of the fence, and this is a prime example. You can't put the spilled milk back in the bottle, but apparently he can show everyone how defiant he can be when it doesn't go exactly the way he wants it to.

I thought this was about the Lion, that's what I have fought for. Apparently for others, its about themselves!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Amy, I am attaching a series of papers that have been published the past 8 yrs that show (a) why lions are unusually vulnerable to overhunting, (b) the extent to which lions have been overhunted in Africa and in Tanzania in particular, and (c) the failure of the sport-hunting industry to adequately invest in safe-guarding their blocks. If you wish, I could also send you a copy of a paper currently in review that provides an estimate of the true costs of conserving African lions: $1,000/yr in unfenced reserves. The industry comes nowhere near providing adequate funding to cover these costs. I have had extensive experience dealing with corruption in the Tanzanian trophy hunting industry, which I would be happy to share with you informally. I was recently warned off from being too conspicuous in my efforts to reform lion hunting in Tanzania -- I have studied wildlife in Tanzania for 40 yrs, and the President and his Cabinet have considered revoking my research clearance in response to my "meddling" in lion hunting -- but I would be very happy to talk to you off-the-record. There have been legitimate efforts to reform lion hunting in Tanzania (their Parliament passed legislation in 2010 that set an age-minimum for lion trophies; the Wildlife Division has set up a system to estimate the ages of all lion trophies) but these reforms are being vigorously opposed by the corrupt hunting companies that operate with apparent impunity. I was planning to come to DC sometime in the next few weeks if you would like to meet in person. Craig Craig Packer Distinguished McKnight University Professor Department of Ecology, Evolution and Behavior University of Tanzania"

It would seem that Mr. Packer is most concerned simply about his own dog in the race and that race is in Tanzania.

Not that I would want to see the Lion uplisted for Tanzania only, but a "global" approach to banning the import for Americans will not only hurt Tanzania, the area putting the burr under Packer's saddle, but also people like Andrew Baldry in Zambia who used the money from one Lion to rejuvenate a poached out area to the benefit of both the Lions and the community.

Crying shame the direction this is going, especially if it's about one person's ego.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

"Amy, I am attaching a series of papers that have been published the past 8 yrs that show (a) why lions are unusually vulnerable to overhunting, (b) the extent to which lions have been overhunted in Africa and in Tanzania in particular, and (c) the failure of the sport-hunting industry to adequately invest in safe-guarding their blocks. If you wish, I could also send you a copy of a paper currently in review that provides an estimate of the true costs of conserving African lions: $1,000/yr in unfenced reserves. The industry comes nowhere near providing adequate funding to cover these costs. I have had extensive experience dealing with corruption in the Tanzanian trophy hunting industry, which I would be happy to share with you informally. I was recently warned off from being too conspicuous in my efforts to reform lion hunting in Tanzania -- I have studied wildlife in Tanzania for 40 yrs, and the President and his Cabinet have considered revoking my research clearance in response to my "meddling" in lion hunting -- but I would be very happy to talk to you off-the-record. There have been legitimate efforts to reform lion hunting in Tanzania (their Parliament passed legislation in 2010 that set an age-minimum for lion trophies; the Wildlife Division has set up a system to estimate the ages of all lion trophies) but these reforms are being vigorously opposed by the corrupt hunting companies that operate with apparent impunity. I was planning to come to DC sometime in the next few weeks if you would like to meet in person. Craig Craig Packer Distinguished McKnight University Professor Department of Ecology, Evolution and Behavior University of Tanzania"

It would seem that Mr. Packer is most concerned simply about his own dog in the race and that race is in Tanzania.

Not that I would want to see the Lion uplisted for Tanzania only, but a "global" approach to banning the import for Americans will not only hurt Tanzania, the area putting the burr under Packer's saddle, but also people like Andrew Baldry in Zambia who used the money from one Lion to rejuvenate a poached out area to the benefit of both the Lions and the community.

Crying shame the direction this is going, especially if it's about one person's ego.

Jim - I think you've seen the light!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forwarded donation to Conservation Force earlier today!

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane - The fact is, we both know Packer's motives, just as we know his temperment. JJ warned him about his articles, and the interpretation that would be used by the antis to go after a lion up-listing, and lion "hunting" as the root of the problem. Now he's asking JJ what he can to do help - when what he's already done is help put the "nail in the coffin" for the future of Africa's wild lions.

We both know he's often played both sides of the fence, and this is a prime example. You can't put the spilled milk back in the bottle, but apparently he can show everyone how defiant he can be when it doesn't go exactly the way he wants it to.

I thought this was about the Lion, that's what I have fought for. Apparently for others, its about themselves!

quote:

I can't/don't disagree but Craig is not the only one that you can make that statement about.

I am not going to name any names...but you could make similar statements about someone on the other side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember this isn't just about the lion - it is about the future of All of Africas wildlife.

Problem that people need to understand, is that is not just about the lion or African wildlife, but wildlife world wide and how it is managed.

Once the lion is given this "Protection" it willmake it easier to extend said "Protection" to species world wide.

Thi is not a "Chicken Little - Sky Is Falling Attitude", just reality. Once a species is given this type of "Protection" it is too easy to extend such "Protection" to other species.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Remember this isn't just about the lion - it is about the future of All of Africas wildlife.

Problem that people need to understand, is that is not just about the lion or African wildlife, but wildlife world wide and how it is managed.

Once the lion is given this "Protection" it willmake it easier to extend said "Protection" to species world wide.

Thi is not a "Chicken Little - Sky Is Falling Attitude", just reality. Once a species is given this type of "Protection" it is too easy to extend such "Protection" to other species.

Well, maybe we should enlist Dr. Packer to assist in Elephant conservation as well?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

quote:

I can't/don't disagree but Craig is not the only one that you can make that statement about.

I am not going to name any names...but you could make similar statements about someone on the other side.

Lane - Of course we both know exactly who you're referring to. And yes, we too have both voiced concern to eachother as to some of "his" motives as well. But I think you would agree - there's never been a question about which side "he's" on, ever!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the deal. Tz promised initially to be transparent with the inspections and publish the results. Well they haven't and we all know why...because if the results were great...they would be shouting it from the roof-tops.

However...there is a lot of good happening. For one...lion harvested are way down...~40 for 2012 in Tz. With decreased harvest trends...all it would take to appease Craig would be transparency in the trophy assessment. However...with out mentioning names...there a 2 huge egos keeping them a secret.

With a little cooperation...the Lion could be the winner...things are heading in the right direction. But 3-4 egos (admittedly CP being one) are at a stand-off and the lion will be the loser.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could we shoot "Them" and save the lions?

stir

Egos destroying science--well its not the first time.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
John,

The only company that I know of that abides by his conservation suggestions is TGTS.

I tend to disagree. If Mr Packer was to have a look at all the Lions posted on AR this year, which by the way is a random selection, then he would notice that many have adopted his suggestions. Either that or the Lion populations are of sufficient density to take off aged males?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made a comment for what it's worth.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
John,

The only company that I know of that abides by his conservation suggestions is TGTS.

I tend to disagree. If Mr Packer was to have a look at all the Lions posted on AR this year, which by the way is a random selection, then he would notice that many have adopted his suggestions. Either that or the Lion populations are of sufficient density to take off aged males?

Hi Andrew,
I agree with your observation but let me clarify what I meant.

Craig Packer saw the hand-writing on the wall for the lion over 10 years ago. He began preaching the conservation tactics you mention seeing 10 years ago.

Ten years ago TGTS embraced the conservation techniques set out by CP in it's blocks and Lion have thrived in them. The Kigosi block that Adam Clements took over from them (after they had managed for over 10 years) and showed the lion inhabiting it right here on AR was living proof of how well Dr. Packer's management techniques work.

Now with the petition before USFW (and NOT from Packer) Packer's documentation of the decline with out serious reform is putting the nail in the coffin. But...it is not opinion doing it but facts.

I have visited with CP several times in the last 24 hours. There is still some hope here.

Positives...Craig is the first to say that lion have done well in the fenced conservancies in Zimbabwe and elsewhere like Bubye, Save, etc. In TZ the harvest number is down and the indiscriminate shooting of 2 and 3's is way down.

All it would really take for Dr. Packer to help put the brakes on USFW would be:

1) For TZ to be open and transparent with it's trophy inspection process where he could verify for the USFW that the 6 yr old law is being upheld.

2) adoption of the "The Huntable Male Lion" definition...authored by he and all of the major lion scientists, Aaron Neilson, myself, and other members of the hunting industry...by SCI, DSC, and the various PH associations.

And 3) serious embracement of facts set forth by his research documenting the decline of the lion with serious effort put forward by the hunting community to adopt "best-practice" management to combat the decline.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
With all due respect to CP, what exactly does he say IS NOT transparent with the TZ lion aging process? Is it the fact that HE is not part of the assessment?

From what I know, IGF - who are the appointed age assessors on behalf of the Wildlife Division in TZ - are transparent and professional. Their results for 2011 have been submitted to the Director of Wildlife ages ago. CP wanted access to them which was denied. I don't see anyhting wrong with that? In his comments to the ESA he moans about being targeted by the "corrupt hunting fraternity"? No wonder with the public statements he makes against hunting!

If he is willing to support the ESA listing to simply "prove a point" that he can, then I question his sincerity in doing what's right for the lion.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post