Notify
Tools

Lets see those 35 Whelens
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted
<a
Remington CDL with Talley Lightweight rings, 2.5-8X36 VXIII Leupold shooting 225 TSX's @ 2730 fps. Lets see some of those 35's guys. Oh this rig keeps those tsx's an inch and under if I do my part. Its my official elk rifle. Way Cool cool!

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a Winchester 70 that I had rebarreled into 35 whelen for my dad a few years ago. It turned out really nice and is very accurate with the 225gr TBBC federal loading. 23" barrel and leupold Euro 2-7 scope. That Euro 2-7 is an outstanding scope.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is Ugly Betty Smiler My beloved M77 / 35 Whelen with Shilen barrel 1-14.
Nothing done to it exept trigger adjustment.
Original stock "decorated" by a girl friend.
My go to rifle, especially hunting moose in bear infested areas Wink

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles guys, keep em' coming. I love the classic calibers.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post

Browning Model 95 rebarreled and restocked.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:

Browning Model 95 rebarreled and restocked.

Now there's a Whelen I could like. I saw one just like it in 9.3x62 the other day. Someone snatched it up like a bag of money on a sidewalk.

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
My Old 35 Whelen, I found the 1903 Spiringfield action already with the 22" Shilen barrel and snathed it up. Then I carved this piece of walnut with the rosewood tip. It has a 3x9 Baush and Lomb 3000 scope mounted on it. I have taken it to Africa on 3 occasions where it has performed perfectly.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My tweaked factory Ruger,

And my pre-war J.P. Sauer,

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles guys, really nice. Keep them coming. I know there is more of ya on here that have one. popcorn

Straight shootin to ya

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boxhead, that Sauer is right dreamy. For some reason a Mauser with that Oberndorf sporter stock just looks right on a Whelen.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Here's my .35 Whelen Imp. I put together out of spare parts I had laying around the shop. I think I had about $320.00 in all of it, I got the action for $3.00 it was in very bad shape, all cosmetic. I worked up a load for it and it shoots about .620" groups@ 100 yards. It is one of my favorite rifles to hunt with.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a really nice 35 Whelen for sale and its got a lot of bells and whistles and its not expensive..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, are we supposed to guess about it?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Tell us about it Ray. Cool

Straight shootin to ya

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can send you pictures but can't put them on AR, don't know how..Its a nice rifle and the metal is completed, M-70 safety, timney trigger, surface ground action, Douglas barrel, release bottom metal, sights, D&T, new bolt handle, Fabrique Nationale de Guerre action, The stock is a nice old FN stock, very thin and has egg cheek piece, glass bedded, has a cut out for a receiver sight, forend has been shortened for the barrel band swivel, recoil pad, European walnut and has color, but its a factory job..I was going to custom stock it but have 4 jobs going and getting ready for two eye surgerys, so thought I would sell it. $1100.00 plus s&H

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to dig deep in the safe to find these:

35 Whelen: They never made any Pre-64 M70's in 35 Whelen at the Winchester factory, but Kelly Olson and I did. That is a 1952 vintage 30-06 action and the stock is from a 1958 vintage 300 H&H. Douglas chromoly barrel, No.4 sporter contour, 1:12" TWIST, 24" length.
The scope bases were made by Talley to fit Ruger rings. This rifle has flattened many 350-pound boars with a single shot. When hit, they fall down on their sides and kick their legs, spinning in circles and squeeling like a pig until they can't get up. Smiler

35 Brown-Whelen: The M70 Stainless Classic Featherweight is a simple rebarrel of a 270 Winchester tupperware-stocked rifle. Douglas 12" TWIST.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice Pow-Pow's

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rip, you have acouple of nice .35 Whelens. Winchester did make some Model 70's in .35 Whelen. They are very rare specail order guns. Rock Island Auction had a Pre War first year gun in .35 Whelen for auction back in 1998. Also, in the Rule Model 70 book you will find a picture of a M-54 chambered in .35 Whelen.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Whelen…. CP.

Action- Ruger Mark ll
Trigger- Factory smithed to 3lbs crisp
Barrel- Lilja stainless 22†1in12 twist .576†at the muzzle
Iron Back-up Sights- Ruger factory
Stock- Hogue pillar bedded -- no bedding block
Scope Mounts- Leupold medium
Scope- Leupold FX-lll 6x42

And it shoots too…

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cp,

Have you chronographed that load?

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boxhead, I have not run the AccuBonds over the clock yet, but I am betting that they will sugar-out some where around 2675 ft./sec. As soon as it warms up a bit, I’ll put them over the clock and let you know. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bo Rich:
Rip, you have acouple of nice .35 Whelens. Winchester did make some Model 70's in .35 Whelen. They are very rare specail order guns. Rock Island Auction had a Pre War first year gun in .35 Whelen for auction back in 1998. Also, in the Rule Model 70 book you will find a picture of a M-54 chambered in .35 Whelen.

Bo,
Thanks. I hope to learn more about any special-order 35 Whelen M70's from "Pre-64." Your info is news to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CP,
That is outstanding accuracy from such a light barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir. The contour replicates the barrel on Ruger’s Special Edition Whelen of a few years ago. I like to put up light scabbard-friendly hunting rifles. It is a real bonus to have one shoot like this Whelen. I can hand this rifle to virtually anyone and they will gin-up a good target. It is like having my own magic wand. But, it is really just a damn good elk hunting rifle. CP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Light barrels have a tendency to do that . . .

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The factory barrel on my tang Ruger shown above measures .560" at the muzzle and it is an honest 1" gun with the 225 gr TSX. I was surprised to see the factory go so light in contour.

One of Us
Picture of craven
posted Hide Post
Here is mine in Africa ist a 700 classic with a 2.5 X 8 Vari X III.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m308/DeanB_02/deansafricatrip048.jpg

Posts: 139 | Location: Florida | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP,

There where two 35 Whelen's made at the factory in New Haven. They are left hand and where engineering samples. I have them both. One is part of a series of eleven engineering sample left hand CRF model 70's rifles consecutively serial numbered some of which are calibers where never produced other than my engineering samples.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Some cool looking rifles are showing up, glad I started the thread. Thanks guys

Straight shootin to ya

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 Classic

It shoots ok @ 150 yards with a stiff load of RL-15 behind a 200SP.

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barrel- Lilja stainless 22†1in12 twist .576†at the muzzle

Glad to see a Whelen with a propper twist dancing

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all,
Here are some pictures of my "Whelen".
This rifle has been in the works since 1997,
it was just finished in October of 2007.
Stock is Tessier French Walnut.
Action is 1952 Model 70.
Barrel is SS, 1:12 twist, Kreiger.
Bottom metal is Blackburn.
Sling swivels are my design (no exposed screws).
Action truing and barrel fit by Dwight Scott.
Stock work by Winston Elrod.
This rifle shoots even better than it looks!
Thanks, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It warmed up nicely today, so I grabbed the Chrony and went to the range. The 225 gr. AccuBonds over 59 grs. of RL-15 through my Whelen clocked in at an average of 2719 ft. /sec. I also put some of these bullets over 68 grs. of RL-15 in my Norma and the machine told me they averaged 2890 ft. /sec. CP.

one of us
posted Hide Post
O.K., no standard production Pre-64 M70 Winchesters in 35 Whelen, but there were a few made by special/custom orders, also a couple of engineering prototypes in lefthand. As you were.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats on all the beautiful rifles men!
love all the great pictures
regards thumb

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post

My moose gun

Stainless Ruger MKII
22" stainless Bevan King 1:14 twist barrel
Hogue pillar bedded stock
Leupold VXII 3-9X40

One of Us
Picture of BillCx55
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought I would throw mine in the mix. Old Remington BDL (w/bronze colored bolt). I picked it up at a pawn shop a year ago for $325. I wish it wasn't a 1 in 16" but I can't argue with a ragged hole with 200 gr Hornady SP's and 54.5 gr of H335. The 250's fall into just a little bigger groups. Me likey.

Posts: 41 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a keeper Bill

Marc Sheehan

Posts: 37 | Location: Papillion, NE | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Good lookin rifles fella's , don't quit on me now. Those 35's just shoot don't they. Cool That was an awesome deal Bill!

Straight shootin to ya