Find
Notify
Tools

Just bought a .338 RUM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted
Ok guys, I just acquired my first .338 RUM. What are your favorite/most accurate loads? Any experiences with this caliber you would like to share? How is the recoil? I am truly excited! Big Grin

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the charge weight, but I do know IMR 7828 sparked with Federal's F215, and a 250 grain partition is a very good place to start.
Check Steve's pages...it's a gold mine of knowledge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own one and the recoil shooting a 250gr bullet
at 3000 fps is 52.61 ft lb of recoil. So I had a brake put on mine after a year of shooting without one. I use RL25 for powder and can shoot 5 rounds with a 250 round nose bullet all thru the same hole. At 2730 fps. Good shooting to you.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both of mine dote on Reloader 25 and 250 grain Partitions. One likes 91 grains (Nosler book max) and the other does "OK" with that but really prefers 93 grains.

When your burning 90+ grains with every shot, lot to lot differences in the powder seem to add up quick so start low and work up.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Let me know how you like this caliber, its definately the next one on my list. I was thinking of a 338WM but I want a bit more velocity.
I would like to shoot the Accubonds or Barnes TSX bulletsfor this caliber.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fusino,

Here are the loads that I am using in my M700 LSS 338 RUM w/ a Leupold VX III 2.5x8 scope. I am using R-P brass and Federal GM215M primers.

200 gr BT
RL22 90.0 grs
best 3 shot group @ 100 yds .325"

210 gr PT*
RL22 92.0 grs
best 4 shot group @ 100 yds .425"
best 3 shot group @ 300 yds 1.285" (2 shots were .590")

225 gr PT
RL22 89.5 grs
best 3 shot group @ 100 yds .450"

225 gr AB
RL25 97.0 grs
best 4 shot group @ 100 yds .790"
(I plan on working with this bullet to find a better load)

250 gr PT**
RL25 90.0 grs
best 4 shot group @ 100 yds .490"

* I used this load to take 2 Mule Deer (140 yds and 30 yds) and a 5 pt Elk (350 yds).

** This is my Moose load but I used it on a 200 lb WT Deer.

All loads came from the Nosler Reloading Guide #5 and are just below Max. Work up carefully. Let me know how these loads work for you.
If you care to share your loads, I would appreciate it.

The 338 RUM is a hammer on game, every one hit the ground hard upon being shot.

Regards,

JD338

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys! Keep them coming! This thing won't have a brake on it (26" barrel), so I'm hoping the recoil is manageable! Big Grin

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
good luck with all that recoil...but i am jealous of your 338...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the 210 Nosler ahead of 94 grs of H4831 (book max) in mine. Very accurate for me. Have taken one elk with it.

Telly

Posts: 163 | Location: Vincennes, IN | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I bought mine back in early 2001 and it had a brake on it within 6 months, you really may want to consider it. The recoil is a non-issue in hunting situations but I can only get about 15-18 rounds through at the bench before it begins to become an issue.

I like 102 grains of Retumbo behind the 250 Swift A-Frame; I am working on loads for the 225 TSX right now. One thing about the 338RUM is that it KILLS NOW. Not to open the whole "a .243 in the right spot will...blah blah...blah and a poorly placed...blah...blah...blah..." debate (because we all know how it ends) I had killed elk before with a .338 Win mag (210 gr projectiles) and have killed a couple with the RUM (250 gr) and neither of them took another step after the first shot from my RUM. It may be purely an "imaginary" advantage but it has been my experience so far. I absolutely love mine!

Good luck!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Peace:
Let me know how you like this caliber, its definately the next one on my list. I was thinking of a 338WM but I want a bit more velocity.
I would like to shoot the Accubonds or Barnes TSX bulletsfor this caliber.

Mighty Peace, I have experience with both bullets. IMO, go with the TSX!! You will NOT be sorry.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns