THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Why doesn't Ruger make a 416 Ruger AFRICAN?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why doesn't Ruger make a 416 Ruger AFRICAN?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted
Anyone have a clue why RGR makes the 416 Ruger only in the Alaskan and not the African? I would have thought that would have been the first rifle they would have made with the 416.

Also, anyone chronographed their loads, factory or handloads, and compared the FPS to a standard 416 Rigby load? Just wondering what how close they are.

Thanks.

Dave

Dave

Posts: 919 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
Anyone have a clue why RGR makes the 416 Ruger only in the Alaskan and not the African? I would have thought that would have been the first rifle they would have made with the 416.

Also, anyone chronographed their loads, factory or handloads, and compared the FPS to a standard 416 Rigby load? Just wondering what how close they are.

Thanks.

Dave

My understanding is that they equalled the Rigby and the Remington, about 2400 fps even though they could have made it faster. Can't help you on the other question though.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I believe that Ruger had problems keeping the African stock from cracking in the .375 when it first came out and the Internet Info was that they didn't think the stock would work with the .416's increased recoil.

I may be wrong, it's happened a time or two. Just ask my wife. Wink

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the question.

The reason is that I don't understand why an Alaska rifle couldn't or shouldn't go to Africa?

Where is the problem?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

The reason is that I don't understand why an Alaska rifle couldn't or shouldn't go to Africa?

Where is the problem?

KB

Some folks, myself included, like blued steel, walnut, and 23-25" barrels. No fly's on the Alaskan utility wise, just not all that perdy. hilbily

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything I've heard is that it will split the stock on the africans, but I'm not sure. The reports I've been watching have had velocity between 2300-2350 fps.
But I really don't know for sure

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Requires a gun smith, not assembler, to not split a stock

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
yuck and very true!

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:

Where is the problem?

KB

Some folks, myself included, like blued steel, walnut, and 23-25" barrels. No fly's on the Alaskan utility wise, just not all that perdy. hilbily

That's exactly my point. I'll probably buy one for Alaska, but I'd rather buy a wood stocked one that would look more at home in Africa.

Dave

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Probably so. Either that or it's a dying cartridge.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Too direct in competition with their higher dollar SAFARI range?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
What I don't understand is if they can't figure out how to stop a wood stock from splitting why don't they offer the Alaskan with a longer barrel as well as the short 20" barrel. Surely they can figure out how to do that.

They used to offer the RSM, which they stupidly discontinued, in 458 Lott with a wood stock so why not the 416 Ruger? It's not rocket science. Some glass bedding, crossbolts and a little relief around the tang and the problem is solved.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2302 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:

Where is the problem?

KB

That's exactly my point. I'll probably buy one for Alaska, but I'd rather buy a wood stocked one that would look more at home in Africa.

Dave,
I see that you reside in Alaska. One of those Ruger 416 Alaskans could be pretty handy here. I would probably be satisfied with the Hogue stock. Since the one I put on my Ruger 77 MKII in 458 hasn't given trouble yet, I figure they are pretty tough stocks.

If that factory offering strikes your fancy for use in Alaska, maybe my idea will appeal to you. One way to resolve your dilemma is to just buy the factory rifle, with the sling stud on the barrel. Then, buy a factory Ruger wood stock, or custom stock if that's what you want.

I would buy a laminate stock that already has checkering. Either way, walnut or laminate, it's going to need gunsmith attention before a trip to Africa. Have a smith inlet and bed it properly in the wood stock, reinforced, etc. Put the right recoil pad on it too.

Then send the barreled action off to have it black T coated.

That way, you have an Alaskan rifle and an African rifle, just by switching stocks. Big Grin

Another plus with this idea is that you can take the Hogue stock to Africa with you. You don't have to show it to anyone if it embarrases you. Wink That way, when that wood cracks while you are in the midst of nowhere, you can drag out the Hogue and swap stocks, and keep on hunting. Big Grin

KB

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
So we all agree the 416 is a medium bore Smiler

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compared to a 600OK? YEP

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

Yup, sorry. I should have posted this in the Big Bore section. I had been reading the Ruger 9.3x62 African post and went to the new topic without thinking about the section I was in.

Kabluewy, you've got a great idea. I go back and forth on whether to get the 375 or the 416 Ruger. It seems like the perfect gun for up here. And I do like the black metal version over the dull stainless, so the Black T is a great idea as well.

It seems like the 375 Ruger is doing well, but the 416 isn't getting much love.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Historically, a .40 cal. was always a medium bore. It's only in the recent world of ... [politically incorrect comments] ... that a .375 and above was considered a "big bore."

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

400 gr at 2400. Yep medium

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems like the 375 Ruger is doing well, but the 416 isn't getting much love.

I can only speculate as to why that might be. It's probably over the acceptable level of recoil for most folks. For brown bear and moose, I'm sure the 416 is useful, but maybe overkill, except in the most dire situation. I don't know what to think about Africa - perhaps more practical there.

I have a 375 H&H which I recently reacquainted with, and like very much. About two years ago, I went ahead and had a Ruger MKII donor action rebarreled in 458, and I've enjoyed shooting it too, and load development. I have stayed mostly with 300 - 405 gr bullets in the 1400 - 2300 fps range, and have no intention of using full power heavy bullet loads with it. I have some Swift 400 gr bullets, and soon may work up some near full power loads with them, but I have good accuracy with all the bullets I've tried. So far, the 350gr Barnes seems like a good choice for the big critters of Alaska, but I can't say for sure since I haven't shot any game with it yet.

So, I have little use for a 416, although for many years I have wanted a 416 Taylor.

Just because it is inexpensive, and yet IMO a good rifle, I have considered getting a Howa in 375 Ruger. Sure, it may not be a real safari rifle, but I'm betting that it's a good value for just having a reliable and accurate platform for messing around with that cartridge. It's gotta beat a Remington anytime, but I would rather have a Ruger. Big Grin

After all, its not practical to rationalize having more than one 375 - unless it's a good deal of course. Wink

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
I believe that Ruger had problems keeping the African stock from cracking in the .375 when it first came out and the Internet Info was that they didn't think the stock would work with the .416's increased recoil.

Pretty much it in a nutshell. I had some email discussions with Mike Fifer @ Ruger about this, but his responses lacked enthusiasm.

The Hawkeye and the RSM are entirely different. THe RSM was designed properly; not so for the Hawkeye, especially in the .416. Besides bedding and cross-bolts, the .416 in the Hawkeye could benefit from a forward recoil lug. Another 'deteriment' to the Hawkeye in both the .416 and 375 Ruger, is the angled recoil lug. In effect it acts like a wedge on these heavy recoiling, yet lightly stocked rifles.

The .416 Ruger is appealing, but because of its not being available in a blued/wood configuration, I took it upon myself to build one - actually 2. First go was on a M700 with a #4 Shilen. This gun wrapped in either a Accurate Innovations or B&C Medalist is great setup, though feeding needs some work (cartridges on the left side of the mag want to pop up and over the bolt.

My second attempt was on a M70 Classic L/A Mag with the barrel contour matched to the factory Safari Classic 375 H&H barrel contour. Feeding is not an issue what-so-ever. Set in either the factory Safari Classic stock (w/cross-bolts) or a B&C Medalist, I have not had stock issues in the first 50 rnds. Neither of my .416 Ruger builds have a forward recoil lug. Time will tell whether the factory wood stock will hold up. I doubt that the B&C with the aluminum bedding block will have any issues. Currently this build is off having Cerakote applied to all the metal, and the B&C stock is being painted (air-brushed) to look like wood (much like the old McMillan Fibergrain stocks).

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When and if they do and I'm betting they will, I will certainly buy the first one in Idaho. Stock cracking is an inletting problem and limited to certain rifles that got by inspection. The Ruger system is as good as any and has worked on such calibers as the .458 Lott..probably the best thing for any factory rifle is too glass bed it right off the bat and in a 416 add second recoil lug on the barrel and the rear cross bolt..Any big bore in .416 and up should produced with two recoil lugs and 2 cross bolts and smart money goes for a end to end glass bedding job..That way your African safari won't go south because you didn't cross that T and dot tht I.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote