New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 win vs. 338ultra
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike375: I have heard from some .375 H&H shooters that some rifles seem to have problems stabilizing lighter weight bullets, (perhaps around 235-grains in weight?). I don't really know about this, since I use a .338WM. A friend of mine uses a .375 H&H with 270 to 300-grain bullets (I just mailed him a box of 300-grain NOS).

With my .338 I have only used 230, 250, and now 275-grain bullets and they shoot very well. However, I guy from Canada I communicate with-uses both 180-grain and 225-grain bullets with his .338WM with great success. He uses 225-grain Swift A-Frame bullets for bears, and the lighter ones for smaller game. He just "nailed" a grizzly (last week) with one shot at 170 yards. He uses custom barrels with his .338's, while I use a cheap factory barrel on mine.

I don't think round-nose bullets are not as accurate as spitzer ones within perhaps 300 to 400 yards, but after that distance, such a bullet can't maintain a trajectory as flat as a more aerodynamically designed one. At close range, however, I would not mind a round-nose bullet, but those are hard to find nowadays.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I have never found the 235 Speer to be an easy bullet to get good accuracy. Having said that, one of the most accurate 375s I have ever owned was at its best with the 235 grain Speer. In general terms the 300 grain bullets are the ones most likely to shoot in about any accurate 375.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike have you tried the 350 gr woodleigh's yet??
Do you reckon the case capacity of the .375 allows them to be driven at sufficient velocity??

I reckon the AR 30 .338 LM will be a good perfromer on the open plains of N.S.W & QLD what do you think??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

I have not used 350s but I think they would be good in 375 as in the 375 2208 and similar powders are abit fast and 2209 a bit slow, but 2209 would probaly be good for full loads with 350s and without heavy compression. 2400 f/s plus should be on the cards I think.

The 338 Lapua would be a fun caliber to use for belting things out there. It would also be a good caliber for conversion of CZs in 416 Rigby since the Lapua case is only 2.75" long so plenty of room for bullets.

I searched on the internet and found the rifle. How does it go for legality with that type of pistol grip?

If I still had still had the keeness to chase the never ending small group and if my ears were able to put up with all the shooting required to do that with high velocity stuff, I think probably my choice of clibes these days would be either the 338 Rem Ultra or the 338 Lapua.

My rifle pick though would be on the RTM Alloy stocks that I use to have most of my guns on. They are the skeleton bench stocks.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

The final product will have a tank like break on it. Do you think that legality wise we will struggle to get it in due to the pistol grip??

Is there a law in Oz that states anything about pistol grips??

We are getting the paperwork together at the end of July and our gun dealer is going to get it in to his shop.

What problems do you envisage?, I though that due to being a bolt gun it would be fine.

2400 with the 350 out of the .375 sounds great, not far from the .416 rem mag and would out penetrate it I bet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

It in fact may have only related to semi autos when they were legal.

Where do you buy form and how much does it cost etc. Is it its own action or someone elses.

By the way, Denis Tobler did a lot of work with the 338 Lapua asa bench cartridge and made is own action for it. I love the look of the cartridge.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

below is some specs of this rifle.

A place in America is selling it to us Mike at $1180.00 US which landed here in Aust should be about $2600.00. If it shoots as well as the reviews say it does it will be excellent value when you compare the price tag of building one or a sako TRG 42.
Octagonal Receiver 4140 Bar Stock
Receiver: 8.97" long, 1.415" wide, 1.53" high.

Receiver walls are .180" thick

Receiver ring is 1 1/8 inch diameter teon with 18 threads per inch, it engages receiver threads for a length of .9" b/w barrel and and receiver is .375 of an inch recoil lug of hardened 4140 steel.

Bolt looks like a rem 700 on steroids it is .750" (bigger than cz size!!!) and the lug circle measures 1.042"

It is a two lug design.

It has a shilen trigger.

Extraction Via .175" inch claw

26" barrel 1.15 forward of receiver tapering to .70" at the muzzle.

6061 aluminium stock is attached by 2 1/4 inch 28 tpi machining screws, fully floated.

The bolt is made as a three piece design and the reasons were spelled out for this. It apparently offers better allignment of the lugs but this is getting techniqual for my limited understanding of things that go bang [Wink] Similar to the way Savage centerfires are (apparentlt they shoot alright) It halso had an extra heavy striker spring to reduce lock time and had some special coating to reduce friction.
I really hope I am allowed to get this rifle in, if I am I will not be mucking about I will just pay for it as soon as possible and get it into my cabnit. I can't see a problem it is only a bolt gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like a high class hooker I sure hope it perfroms as good as it looks Mike [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

I think it will beOK to get it in.

Are you familiar with the 500 yard Fly Shoot in Canberra? If things got hard you could use that as a reason since 338 Lapua in an accurate rifle would bea prime choice.

Do Sako bring in the TRGs in 338 Lapua.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Sako Bring in the .338 LM TRG 42 I got a quote off my gun dealer for his best price on two trg 42 .338 lm's (My mate and I usually always buy the same thing) for cash and he said around $4600 AUS was the best price. The price of the AR-30 allows a little cash left over for tweeking if it needs it. If I can't get the AR-30 I'll fork out and get the TRG 42.

Mike they would have fly shoots in Victoria to wouldn't they??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

Is the 338 LM TRG 42 a more expensive model as I thouht the TRG was ordinary money whicg is why Lazzeroni were offering it as a "cheap" option for their big 300.

They may well have Fly Shoots in Victoria but even if they did not, then I don't think that would be a problem.

Actually with custom rifles and De Vries etc. one thing that made me think about 338 bore size was that if ever we had any "caliber Vs use" restrictions a 338 bore with all the match bullets could be justified for exteme range shooting of pigs etc. The fact that it might be used on roos at 100 yards in the spotlight is a separate issue [Big Grin]

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike the trg 42 is waaay more expensive $1900 V $4600. Long range pigging is what I will be doing with this rifle. I bought the dies of 500 grains a couple of months ago, good bloke to deal with. Mike I am looking forward to using my new .585 pitching wedge for the 100 yard spotty shots [Big Grin]

I am considering using 250 sierra game kings for this rifle because they have a....wait for it....pretty good BC [Wink] as well as decent on-game performance

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

750 FMJs should be ideal if dropped about 30 yard in front of a roo in the light. Don't forget Hornady make a 200 grain flat point in 338.

So the TRG on Sakos site is $1900. What is the difference between that rifle and the one for $4600.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The $4600 TRG 42 is heavy barrelled, adjustable stock it is essentially a tactical rifle were the regulat TRG is a sporter weight.

I am real keen Mike to use 650 gr woodleigh Black Powder projectiles as they have a reduced impact velocity which means they should open up a little better.