THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Who's you favorite manufacturer?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's you favorite manufacturer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
My answer to the question as asked would be savage, excellent out of the box accuracy and plenty of aftermarket barrels, triggers, and stocks to custom build.

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of my good rifles are Remington But Sako and CZ are also of good Quality and are very
accurate also.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got two Howas that I like very much and the price was right too.

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
For the top six my choice would be;
1. Sako
2. Tikka
3. Weatherby
4. CZ
5. Savage
6. Browning

I don't have much knowledge of or experience with Kimber, Howa, Steyr, Manlicher, Blazer, Sauer.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got to be either a 1st,2nd,or 3rd generation Model 70 Classic Super Grade for me. The collectors can have the pre '64s. I own only two Classic Super Grades now (30-06 and .338) and regret every one I ever sold or traded.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
El cheapo it's Tikka with their T3, bloody marvelous for the price.
A little more expensive, Kimber Montana. And to be honest they are not much if any better than the Tikka.
Then Blaser K95.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the bang for the buck and great accuracy I get with the CZ's

Posts: 88 | Location: Prince Rupert BC | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako and Tikka in my experience. Outstanding shooters.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind of a hard question to tackle, really. I mean, what other factors besides just plain out accuracy?

I've owned/shot a few Howa's, Remingtons, Winchester, Brownings, various mausers, Savage...they all have their merrits. Frankly, Savage rifles impress me for the price, they're real shooters more often then not. I've never heard anyone complain about poor accuracy with an A-bolt, and thats me included lol. The Rem's I had, could have been better, but they sure make a GREAT starting point for a rifle. Same with a Mauser, but that depends on who its made by. Again, one of the best starting points for a custom build.

I think with pretty much any factory rifle currently made, they SHOULD all be very accurate. With value brands like Savage, Tikka, Howa and some others really stepping up the accuracy bar, there is NO reason to NOT make one hell of a shooter off the shelf as is.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
For customization, I guess the top one would be a Rem. M700. There's so many aftermarket items. My pick for a factory rifle used to be a Browning A-bolt. I'm a little PO'd at Browning for discontinuing the A-bolt line. I talked to a local gun shop last Friday. The owner said a Browning rep came by with a new X-bolt to show him. THe gunshop owner was very dissatiafied with the X-bolt. He didn't think the X-bolt would sell as well as the A-bolt. Time will tell I guess. Some of the same things being said about the X-bolt were said about the A-bolt when it was new.

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
In my experience, I would have to say Blaser R-93 and Sauer 202. I have owned Blasers in several calibers, and all have shot at least MOA out of the box. My Sauer 202 experiences have been the same except I have only owned and shot 2 guns to base it on.

Truth be told, of all the Ruger, Remingtons, and Thompson Encores that I have owned, I haven't had a single gun that wasn't at least "acceptable" out of the box.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd Have to say Remington & CZ. Both of these rifles give me excellant accuracy.And another one is SAKO.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
For pure out of the box performance its pretty damn tough to beat Savage these days. Howa is also doing some pretty impressive stuff both for themselves and for Weatherby's Vanguard line of rifles.

When you need it and don't have it you'll be singing a different tune.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite rifles are all Ruger model 77s .I have 338 win mags,264 win mags and a 243 in them.They never fail me and are always accurate.I have not found that a single 338 win mag shot greater than 1" at 100 yards.Most of the ones I own will shoot under an inch at 100 yards.I have never had a failure to feed either.
I have had winchester model 70 with crf fail to feed and I have had a problem with every model 700 Remington I owned.I had to replace floorplates that wouldnt stay closed or open.I had to replace ever spring and follower in all the model 70s and model 700 I had.I can always count on my Ruger model 77 that have never failed me.I have used them 30 years through thousands of rounds of ammo.I have tried others but they only failed.I also like Weatherby except the cheap vanguards I had problems with.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Blaser for out of the box preformance!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
out of the box-Remington M 700

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
For both out-of-the-box performance and as a starting point for customizing.

Evraz Oregon Steel Mills and one of the better wood purveyors is a good starting point for a custom rifle.

Out of the box and custom are apples and oranges unless changing a stock or chambering or swapping triggers is "custom" to you.

If it involves starting with an action, I like some breeds of Mausers and some Rems and CZs. If that's what you aim to do the best bet is to just buy an action you like and build from there. No need to buy a whole rifle unless you're getting a good deal on it.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of the box I like the CZ line-up with their hammer forged barrels and recievers. I've also had good results with the Vanguard series from Weatherby, Winchester model 70, and Remington model 700 BDL--- not ADL cast models. R.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamiah Kid
posted Hide Post
I like most all of 'em...but the favorite is Remington.

Posts: 28 | Location: Kamiah, Idaho | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
This has been an interesting thread. I think Dave Petzal summed it up perfectly for me yesterday. I know we have all lamented about the decreasing quality and quality control at most of the firearms manufacturers ove the past ten years, giving folks like CZ a chance to take a big bite out the market.

The bottom line, buying a new firearm is pretty much a crapshoot today.

Bob

Here is Dave's blurb:

January 04, 2008
The Guns I Test Aren’t Special

One of the things of which I am frequently accused (in addition to uttering false notes, and mopery with intent to loiter) is testing specially selected rifles that are not representative of what you, the unwashed and lesser-privileged, are forced to buy. Nonsense say I, and as proof, here are some of the things that have been wrong with guns that were sent to me in recent months.

*A .308. Chunk of finish knocked out of stock; trigger that was creepier than Dick Cheney; bluing salts oozing out of the barrel threads.

*A .22/250. Chunk of paint knocked off the stock (is this a new look? Am I missing something?); 7-pound trigger pull. On a varmint rifle. 7 pounds. Gap around the firing pin that craters primers. Bolt face scrapes brass off cases.

*A .375 H&H that was made for me and for which I paid big buck$. Ejector did not eject. Trigger needed work. Barrel band was not secured in place and went flying up the barrel after 100 rounds.

I could go on, but I'm depressed enough already. This is why, when people ask me whether to buy Brand X or Brand Y, I say who knows? You may get a great rifle or you may get a dog. It's all a crapshoot.

David Petzal

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger and CZ thumb

Posts: 373 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: 31 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
killpc

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Remington first, they seem to shoot well, fit for me is great and I like the way they look. Ruger would be second, but the rifle that I liked most for fit and balance was a weatherby fibermark stainless that I never could get to shoot under two inches(I didn't handload then). Big Grin The weatherby was in a standard caliber btw (small action)

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
This has been an interesting thread. I think Dave Petzal summed it up perfectly for me yesterday. I know we have all lamented about the decreasing quality and quality control at most of the firearms manufacturers ove the past ten years, giving folks like CZ a chance to take a big bite out the market.

The bottom line, buying a new firearm is pretty much a crapshoot today.

Bob

Here is Dave's blurb:

January 04, 2008
The Guns I Test Aren’t Special

One of the things of which I am frequently accused (in addition to uttering false notes, and mopery with intent to loiter) is testing specially selected rifles that are not representative of what you, the unwashed and lesser-privileged, are forced to buy. Nonsense say I, and as proof, here are some of the things that have been wrong with guns that were sent to me in recent months.

*A .308. Chunk of finish knocked out of stock; trigger that was creepier than Dick Cheney; bluing salts oozing out of the barrel threads.

*A .22/250. Chunk of paint knocked off the stock (is this a new look? Am I missing something?); 7-pound trigger pull. On a varmint rifle. 7 pounds. Gap around the firing pin that craters primers. Bolt face scrapes brass off cases.

*A .375 H&H that was made for me and for which I paid big buck$. Ejector did not eject. Trigger needed work. Barrel band was not secured in place and went flying up the barrel after 100 rounds.

I could go on, but I'm depressed enough already. This is why, when people ask me whether to buy Brand X or Brand Y, I say who knows? You may get a great rifle or you may get a dog. It's all a crapshoot.

David Petzal

Bob,

You know as I was reading his thread I was thinking the same darn thing. There are no factory rifles that with 100% certainty I can say is my favorite or that I'd trust to be a perfect rifle every time.

I've had or seen trouble with just about every brand of factory rifle out there.

I think the last of the truly great factory rifles were Belgium FN's, pre-war British rifles and VERY pre-64 Winchesters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Favorite is Ruger Hawkeye...what a difference over the old Mark IIs...next would be CZ...followed by Winchester 70 Classics...presnetly have dumped most of everything else and concentrating on Hawkeyes...Ruger finally has it right...
now just adjust the trigger and put a decent pad on it and it should be good to go....

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
Anschutz and Sako for European

Remington and Ruger for my American picks

Beefa270: Yes I really love my 270win

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think my tag speaks for itself. Box stock as a tool, my pick is Remington 700, hands down. Accurate, durable, reliable and consistant adjustable trigger. I love 'em.

I think I'm finding room in my safe for a Kimber though in the future. But that would be more of an investment than a tool.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a rifle that catches my eye and is reasonably priced.

1. Browning

I like a rifle that is fit for purpose, catches my eye, and is reasonably priced.

1. Sako

I like a rifle that is fit for purpose, catches my eye, is reasonably priced, and I wouldn't have to think twice about buying.

1. Remington

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
It's difficolt to say who's the best manufactur. Probably this are the one that made the major quantity of rifle without defects.
In this case my choise will be:
Kongsberg
Remington
Sako
Weatherby
CZ
The first four have great accuracy, very good actions and in most case also good finishing. CZ is the most strong hunting gun and have good accuracy, finishing is not her best point. Probably the most used by profetional hunters.

I see or shot a lot of Mauser, Mallicher and Winchester that shot bad.
Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I've purchased Rugers and had to send them out to be rebarreled. I have a Winchester 1895 (Japanese) which has good workmanship, but that's offset by the Winchester 9410 that had a tang safety that had to be filed to work correctly with the rebounding hammer. So far the only purchase that's been trouble-free has been a MRC 1999 barreled action which was stocked by Accurate Innovations. MRC started rough, I've heard, but they seem to be turning out some quality stuff now.

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong

Posts: 29 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 06 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't own one and probably won't for a while ($$$) but I am very keen on the Sauer 202

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holland & Holland and Westley Richards

coffee

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
Winchester model 70's. Some are CRF and some are push feed but they all shoot well.
I am so happy they are coming back into production I almost wet my pants.

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
1- Mauser
2- CZ
3- Winchester CRF

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1.Steyr
2.mauser
3. everyone else; excluding CZ (rough acton) Ruger (horrible trigger, clunky)

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DWright:
Holland & Holland and Westley Richards

Those are ANYTHING but box rifles. They'd be among my favorites also if I had a couple mil in the bank.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
winchester mod 70

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote