THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Who's you favorite manufacturer?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's you favorite manufacturer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For both out-of-the-box performance and as a starting point for customizing.

I ask this on the medium bore forum because there is a huge difference in companies' medium-bore products and big-bore products. For example, I love small- and medium-bore CZ rifles just the way they come out of the box. But, when it comes to big bore rifles, CZ becomes just a good starting point (which pretty much sums up how I feel about all Remington products -- just a good starting point).

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
most of my better rifels are rem. the action is great and the accurace is outstanding. out of the box most are .750 with good handloads. at 100 meters. thats why the military uses so many 700 actions.

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I have one rifle that is a Ruger MK II with a Hart barrel, accurized action, etc., and despite their inaccurate reputation, this rifle will shoot as well as any of my custom remingtons, which includes the rest of all of my rifles.

They were decent shooters to begin with, but, as mentioned above, all became just starting points for full custom jobs.

I have no problem with Remington actions and accuracy. I do not own a CZ nor have I even seen one.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
out of the box?
hands down.
Steyr mannlicher.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even though I never owned one, a friend of mine had several Coopers and man, could they shoot. Therefore, for a straight out of the box performance, I'd go with the Cooper. I've never heard a bad thing about them either.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All my rifles Bolt rifles were born a Remington… One became a MGA. Kerry (MGA) accurized the rest

one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ for me, both smallbore and medium bore rifles. Outstanding accuracy, looks good and asks for little. What more could one want? Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well being savage 99 and pre 64 win person i would say new out of box would be savage maybe not prettiest but a reliable meat getter my second is remington

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
My Ruger was pretty accurate right out of the box but with a trigger job (necessary with Ruger triggers) and a real recoil pad, it shoots VERY accurately...

Out of the box with little to no customizing needed, Weatherby Mk V... sofa

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Remington IME, with Browning Abolts nipping at the heels.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For factory rifles, my FN Supreme 30-06, BRNO 22H 7x57 or Walther Model B Mauser 7x57.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned Marlins, Remingtons, Savages, Winchesters, B.A.T., but while they are probably somewhere inbetween, none put a smile on my face like my Stainless Weatherbys.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Mausers -especially FN's. I'd never overlook a Remington either if the price were right. The only thing I know of with more parts available is the small block Chevy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do I have to pay for it, or is somebody else picking up the tab?

Me, Savage or CZ...they simply work and are the kings of cost effective. If you are buying me a Christmas present, I want the new Searcy DR

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
steyr

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington (older M700's!)

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Sako/tikka fans? Dollar per dollar I feel my Tikka's are hard to beat, guaranteed accuracy is nice also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For Premier out of the box performance I pick the Blaser R 93.

Just order it like you want it.
It will be perfect out of the box. No need for any "customozation" [if that is a word]. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mauser, before 1932.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't have a lot of experience with Blaser but a lot of people I know echo what N E 450 No2 says.

For me its the Remington Model 30S. Next month it will be something else.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CZs outnumber everything else I own by quite a bit. Some may feel they are too heavy, but I like the fact that so much metel is used to make them. Especially the one piece bottom metal that doesnt go "bombs away" when you pull the trigger.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own more rugers then anything else. I belive they are the best buy for the money.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako. Do you know another manufacturer that guarantees 1 MOA?

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My mod 70 Classic LH was perfect out the box

Cheers
Allan

Posts: 94 | Location: Chilcotin B.C. | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester first, Sako second. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are we speaking NIB or New old Stock or ?.

Steyr Mannlicher. Mauser , Drilling , FN. Then Tikka , Sako or CZ it's a toss up any more !?. Browning or Cooper almost equal IMO . Savage Kimber Remington . I don't have personal experience with Blaser . The two Coopers I did own were a disappointment to me .

Yes Sako Tikka both offer 1 MOA out of the box !.

I read some where if it feels good in YOUR hands , then it's the right one for YOU .
Some weapons shoot extremely well but don't quite fit right so then we start changing everything . Then again some weapons Never shoot quite right .

I feel if anyone REALLY wants an accurate weapon they should start with a QUALITY weapon or at least a Great Action and either build it or have it built by a REAL SMITH . Just MO !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I will go with Sako. I have owned many different brands of rilfes and most of them possessed acceptable accuracy (MOA - save Ruger), but I have had the best luck with Colt Sauer, Steyr and the like. However, I have owned over 100 Sakos and don't remember one that wasn't a MOA or better rifle - pre model 75. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably owned more Winchesters over the years for hunting rifles, 92's, 94's, 86's, 71's, 70's, etc. but never cared to use them or build them for match/tactical type shooting, owned some FN's, military 98's( as in milsurp)
but probably most used rifles of all and did the most "work" would be the age old Model 700 Remington in either 30-06 or 300 H&H while in Alaska. Not CRF, but never failed me one time and accuracy usually far better than the norm. Second most preferred mfg. for firearms is Ruger. Who else makes such a wide range of firearms for "responsible gun owners..." than Ruger?? Own three of their RSM's and quality for the buck is just not offered by any other commercial mfg. and many custom mfg.'s Yeah, toss up between Remington and Ruger. Not very exotic I realize, but bottom line is simply that these two mfg's make firearms that most can afford, and shoot better than most owmers. Can't ask for more than that. Europeans inflitrate our market from time to time and seem to fade over a fairly short period of time, and the Remingtons and Rugers probably sell more firearms and than the rest of them put together.(ATF stats will verify sales to a fairly accurate level if interested) Somewhat of a narrow view on firearms, but if it is not American, not interested. Everyone to their own, but make mine American all the way!!

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sauer 202 for me.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Sako

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ for hunting, Rem (based) for target.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tikka T-3 for me. Just fantastic out of the box.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think you should have to put what else you have shot enough to be able to make an opinion.
a man who has never owned anything other than savage may be impressed as hell with a howa, or vise versa.
having said that...
in bolt guns i have owned (issued)
Remington PSS
Sako
Weatherby MK V
Weatherby vanguard
Browning
Ruger
Savage
Winchester
Mannlicher Schonaure
Steyr Mannlicher
CZ
Interarms
In the totality of it everyone would be a fine deer killer.
the winchesters i owned were 30 years apart and a carbine vs a supergrade. they both were decent shooters but both more expensive than i thought they should be for the overall quality.
The remington(s) were tuned and shot as one would expect for a long heavy SA rifle.
The rugers i owned and still own are of the carbine sort and i am always impressed by the cost vs. resulting gun. the loss of the tang safety in newer models turns me away but the new BBLs and CRF give me hope that rugers doing it right.
The MKV's are great shooters. i only own WM calibers and they do the job one would expect, albeit for a considerable price.
The vanguard SUBMOA is a great value for what you get, a slightly shorter tube on the SA would be great if they kept the SUBMOA promise, say 21".
savage, eh. not much to say. what do you expect for $200. i have to say i have never owned one that didnt shoot decent so value wise they are at the top. style and fit is important though.
Sako, again nice but compared to others w/ the same performance they are a bit pricey.
MS. my favorite vintage rifles. bolts as smooth as a buttered vault door. if they didnt cost $2K id own nothing but.
Browning doesnt make a single centerfire bolt gun that is offered w/ iron sights that i know of. i wont buy another till they do.
Steyr Mannlicher. sub SUB MOA out of the box. the strongest and safest action on the planet. user adjustable trigger (creep, weight and overtravel) adjustable LOP. fully floated CHF bbls, drop box mags, flush sling swivels, smooth bolts, did i mention SUB SUB MOA shooters. and for $600 average how can you beat them?
i do have a problem w/ the fact that they change importers like underwear. but they are always avail in what im looking for.
I like the fact that my Eurocarbine (blued and DLX wood)and my mountain rifles ( matte and synthetic) while different to look at function and shoot identicaly.
so i think that if you have shot a steyr you probably like them. and when you compare them to other $600 rifles they are far and away better. when compared to similar rifles in terms of quality they are far less expensive.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Blaser, Steyr, Winchester and CZ.

But many of the rifles I have bought that I really love were made a long time ago.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Original Mauser

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Sauer 202 elegant out of the box accuracy

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
This question has two parts I think so I'll answer that way:
A. out of the box performance; Weatherby
B. Customizing: Winchester MOdel 70

Think they will be back? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KSTEPHENS, good point.

Sako
Tikka (both the older style and the new T-3)
Blaser (93 and 95 BBF)
Steyr (AUG (F88) and Scout, Scout 376)
Winchester
Ruger
Savage
CZ
Remington
BRNO
Anschutz
Browning
Mauser
Marlin

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forgot to add kimber and cz.
both of whick i liked but not enough to keep. the bolt on the kimber felt sloppy and i felt the fit and finish should have been better.
the wood, while figured well, was soft and seemed to pick up lines and bumps too easy.
the CZ was nice but i didnt care for thier rings and the chamber was a bit tight. fit and finish was ok, i wish they would have an adjustable trigger instead of the single set style. the set was too light and the regular pull too heavy.