THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    how does the rem 7600 30-06 18 1/2" barrel do with light and heavy bullets?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how does the rem 7600 30-06 18 1/2" barrel do with light and heavy bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
my friend wants to sell me his 30-06 pump and i wanted to know how this rig does with light and heavy bullets, this is what i would be most likely to shoot...does the twist of the barrel do o.k. on stabilizing heavy bullets? will trajectory suffer much on lighter bullets? what are the arguments on getting the longer barrel?
thanks!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
BS, You'll lose about 70fps over the conventional 22" tube, the twist should handle the most common heavy bullets. By heavy, are we talking about the 220 Round nose? BTW, this carbine will be like shooting a 308 as far as velocity. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Gorski:
BS, You'll lose about 70fps over the conventional 22" tube, the twist should handle the most common heavy bullets. By heavy, are we talking about the 220 Round nose? BTW, this carbine will be like shooting a 308 as far as velocity. Jay

A little more holdover but nothing major. I love the way mine handles in the bush knowing it will also handle longer shots. What you are going to notice is muzzle blast. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a standard one and had it cut to 20" and shortened the lop to arrive at the same overall length. As with all the calibres I shoot I use one weight for everything, in this case 180 grains.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
how do you shorten the top???

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
how do you shorten the top???

Boomstick, that reads lop, not top, length of pull. Whoever you are using for a gunsmith will be able to shorten it to whatever you want. I usually adjust mine to take into account bulkier clothing in the colder weather.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesA friend of mine back in 1968 used a Mod. 760, 30-06 open sights, 18.5" barrel with great success. He was in the back country of Colorado most of the time, working for Good Year changing tires on earth movers and carried that rifle all the time. He used 180 gr bullets of one kind or another all the time and always got his share of deer and elk. I don't know if he ever missed but he and that light rifle were hell to hunt with. He shot elk like most shoot sitting rabbits. Even before you could pick up the game in your scope it was on the ground dead. There are no limiting factors with the 760, 7600, 18.5" barrel in 30-06 in the lower 48. Hit or miss is dependant on the guy pulling the trigger. the fact that it was a slide action didn't mean much , however, as it was the first shot that did the job. He just liked and controlled that little 760. Although I really liked that guy he gave me a complex. sofaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
It should be a loud bastard with ALOT of muzzle blast mgun

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
It should be a loud bastard with ALOT of muzzle blast

HUUuhhh??? Loud? It ain't loud. Speak up! lol

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I have a 50s vintage 760 carbine with the 18.5" barrel in 30.06 with one of the nicest piece of factory wood on the butt that I have ever come across. It has a Williams peep sight on the rear and I carried it deer hunting this past year in Minnesota. It was a blast to carry, light, points like an 870 shotgun and best of all, simple. I can hold 1" groups at 50 yards with it too and chrono'd 2700 with 180 grainers.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
quote:
It should be a loud bastard with ALOT of muzzle blast

HUUuhhh??? Loud? It ain't loud. Speak up! lol

Exactly right. Big Grin Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine does fairly well with both I shoot 130's and 165's mostly but have shot 180's also.

I absolutely love mine it is my go to rifle when I go deer hunting as I tend to push the thicker areas as most people want to just sit and watch over an area so i really appreciate its handling and quick follow up. It has never failed to bring home the game.

Ask your friend if you could shoot it to see how it shoots for you.

Aloha!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the loud. Other than that I find it to be a perfectly satisfactory brush gun. I can hold mine by the pistol grip and not get the barrel in the mud. Sounds petty I know but it definitely makes it more convenient as I use it in a tree stand.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote