THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Lipsey’s Ruger African in 35 Whelen is on their Website. Finally!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lipsey’s Ruger African in 35 Whelen is on their Website. Finally!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lipsey’s Ruger African in 35 Whelen is on their Website. Finally!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are also showing an African 22 hornet!

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up

They have a no 1 in 275 rigby as well

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, wow!

Thanks a ton Colorado Matt!!

Posts: 2590 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:

How I wish to have one of those! sadly they are not allowed to be exported.

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
quote:

How I wish to have one of those! sadly they are not allowed to be exported.

Why is it that such a bolt action hunting/sporting rifle can’t be exported?

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

According to our distributor, it is part of the deal with Lipsey's. The model is exclusive only to Lipsey's and Ruger cannot sell it directly to any other distributor in America or abroad.

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

According to our distributor, it is part of the deal with Lipsey's. The model is exclusive only to Lipsey's and Ruger cannot sell it directly to any other distributor in America or abroad.

So, you could have a dealer with an export license get one for you, but it would cost you much more I guess?

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
Oh, wow!

Thanks a ton Colorado Matt!!

I figured you would be the most excited!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So, you could have a dealer with an export license get one for you, but it would cost you much more I guess?

Correct, the last time I got a quote from an exporter, it would’ve have worked out to about 4500$ landed at my door Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Correct, the last time I got a quote from an exporter, it would’ve have worked out to about 4500$ landed at my door Eeker

Holy smokes!!!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a "Lipsey's" version of a gun??
I hear about a Lipsey this or a Lipsey that, but what is it?

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
What is a "Lipsey's" version of a gun??
I hear about a Lipsey this or a Lipsey that, but what is it?

Lipsey’s is a distributor in Baton Rouge Louisiana. They come up with cool configurations of guns and have companies built them for them. They had Ruger build this gun along with the same gun in a few other calibers. They haven’t done another African series special run since Covid. So far they have done the African series rifles in this configuration in 6.5 x 55, 9.3 x 62, 275 Rigby, 280 Ackley improved, and now 35 Whelen. Ruger has made other African series rifles, but these particular rifles have a ebony forend tip, a rather thin stock, and a thin 24 inch barrel reminiscent of the old Rigby and Mauser pre-WWI rifles.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Received a call yesterday that mine will be in late this week.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats cj. Show us pics when you get it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be a couple of weeks before I can get it. I asked them to order 2 of each, maybe they will all be in when I go.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id love to have one but I just purchased a Ruger African in mint condition. Whats the price tag on the 35? They are always a good investment..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was quoted $1089 for the Hornet and $1239 for the Whelen.

Several are on gunbroker now.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What’s exciting is the 1 in 12 twist rate. All those Remington 35 Whelen suffered from a too slow 1 in 16” twist with the heavier bullets. This one will be able to use the 310 grain Woodleigh’s. This will narrow the gap on that other metric version that shall not be uttered.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
What’s exciting is the 1 in 12 twist rate. All those Remington 35 Whelen suffered from a too slow 1 in 16” twist with the heavier bullets. This one will be able to use the 310 grain Woodleigh’s. This will narrow the gap on that other metric version that shall not be uttered.

Very good point boomy! I’m so happy they paid attention to this detail. Ruger did the same 1-12 with the SS/syn 35 Whelens a while back. Out of production now. I was SO hoping they would continue that practice. Nice for the 250s and required for the 280s and 310s. I shot my Colorado Moose with a 280 SAF in my SS/syn Ruger Whelen. It will be nice to have another 1-12 twist in a wood/blue Whelen. The only wood/blue 1-12 Whelen I own is a Dakota Classic Deluxe. Now, I will have more! Lord, I love these 1-12 Whelens!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love these 1-12 Whelens!!

Just curious Confused

Can't that barrel be duplicated by somebody like Douglas and fit to a Mauser action? And what does the Ruger Rifle do that other similar rifles cannot do.

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That barrel profile can be duplicated and adapted to just about any bolt action.

Not sure about the specifics of your second question. The fast twist allows one to shoot super heavy 35 cal bullets without keyholing. The REM 700 Classic had a slow 1:16” twist, which is said to not adequately stabilize the really heavy bullets. The idea of this rifle, in all its calibers, is to emulate the light and thin profile rifles made by Mauser and Rigby in the early part of the 20th century. This rifle can’t really do anything special, but it looks and handles pretty damn good when it does what it does! Seems like lots of folks are into stainless steel and carbon fiber these days. I, personally, think it’s nice to have rifles like this in production for those who appreciate such things.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That barrel profile can be duplicated and adapted to just about any bolt action.

Not sure about the specifics of your second question. The fast twist allows one to shoot super heavy 35 cal bullets without keyholing. The REM 700 Classic had a slow 1:16” twist, which is said to not adequately stabilize the really heavy bullets. The idea of this rifle, in all its calibers, is to emulate the light and thin profile rifles made by Mauser and Rigby in the early part of the 20th century. This rifle can’t really do anything special, but it looks and handles pretty damn good when it does what it does! Seems like lots of folks are into stainless steel and carbon fiber these days. I, personally, think it’s nice to have rifles like this in production for those who appreciate such things.

That about covers it CM. Well said!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Now all we need is a factory 400 Whelen Big Grin popcorn fishing sofa Whistling

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
quote:
I love these 1-12 Whelens!!

Just curious Confused

Can't that barrel be duplicated by somebody like Douglas and fit to a Mauser action? And what does the Ruger Rifle do that other similar rifles cannot do.

quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
I was quoted $1089 for the Hornet and $1239 for the Whelen.

It certainly can be, and has been done before - At the PRICE, no, you can't take a mauser action, create integral quick release / return to zero scope mounts, 3 position safety, opening floorplate, high grade sights, decent trigger, decent/functional stock, AND barrel for these prices -

What's a "lipsey"? several gun companies offer to make "customized" or "spec'ed" guns, with minimum order size. If a company thinks they could make X platform in N calibers, being desirable enough, that they could make money off every one, they can do it. like a bulk custom shop order

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38473 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and a lipsky is the best investment in the gun world, two years or less down the road it will sell for $2500 or more, if unfired add another grand to its value..Not guess I and others on AR have done it many times and their buyer keeps it another few years and it doubles in value again..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got one.

If anyone wants pic pm me.

Posts: 10884 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are you guys finding these rifles at?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lipsey is a whole seller/ distributor for my FIL.

He had a few 22 Hornets in bound. They are spoken for.

Posts: 10884 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

I had no problem with my Remington .35 Whelen giving stability to the Barnes O. 300gr with it's 1-16 twist rate. And my current .35 Whelen has a 1 - 14 twist and it too gives good stability to the same 300gr Barnes Original at 1.356" length.

Also, the Berger Stability Analysis predicts perfect stability with that bullet in both the 1-16 and 1-14 twist rates. TSX and TTSX bullets for any cartridge will be longer than Noslers Partitions and ABs for the same cartridge and bullet weight. So I never use TSX's or TTSX's for cartridges based on the .30-06 cartridge or my 9.3 x 62 because they rob space in the cartridge that should be available for powder.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger MkII 35 Whelen was a 1-16 twist, and I had no problems with 250 gr. NP at 100 yds. When I went to the 200 yd. range, my bullets were all keyholing.
When I bought the newer Hawkeye 35 Whelens with the 1-12 twist, all keyholing went away at all ranges that I shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any range reports, or are folks just buying them as investments? I know of at least two AR members that I’m certain will shoot theirs eventually.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
had JES rebore my Rem 721 to a Whelen and went with the 1x12 as I tend to shoot 225 to 310 bullets, Never liked the 1x16 as they do "tend" to keyhole in most rifles at beyond 200 with 250s or heavier.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read two reports elsewhere that mentioned the new Lipsey’s 35 Whelen African is a bit muzzle heavy. Can anyone confirm this? The 280AI was muzzle heavy, unlike the previous (3) calibers; 275 Rigby, 9.3x62 & 6.5x55, which had nice thin barrel contours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surefire,

The muzzle on the Whelen is 0.625, on my 6.5x55 it's 0.565 according to my calipers.

I'm going to assume that the Whelen has a "B" weight barrel since the box says 24" B.

I would have preferred the same profile as the first 3. I'm not disappointed though. It does feel good in my hands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

There was still one on gunbroker last night. Current bid is over 5k, must be getting down to the last of em

Posts: 1072 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not measured ours, but the rifle feel is amazing.

Wood is not spectacular, but the action is smooth.

I have heard some have rough actions and very sharp right side rail. Ours is factory well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi cj,

Thank you so much for the measurements! I really appreciate you.

Was the barrel contour on the 280AI also.625? Anyone have one who can measure?

Surefire

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
quote:

There was still one on gunbroker last night. Current bid is over 5k, must be getting down to the last of em

Holy Cow! I was hoping I might be able to get one after tax season, but looks like I will be out of luck. Bummer.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
quote:

Holy Cow! I was hoping I might be able to get one after tax season, but looks like I will be out of luck. Bummer.

If I'm remembering correctly, my LGS said that Lipsey's hadn't received all of the Whelens. He said that his sales rep, there are 40 sales reps, had only been allocated 1.