THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Daypack for a back-sweating fool

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daypack for a back-sweating fool
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Guys, I'm not a al big guy, but I sweat like crazy when I hike and hunt, especially on the outline of my daypack (currently a Cabela's Whitetail) when I stop to take it off, and it's bloody chilly when there's a cold wind blowing.
Can anyone suggest a simple, quiet day pack that has a serious enough frame or breathable backing to help me keep my back drier?
Thanks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
if you get a daypack with a watter bladder...freeze two (one is not enough) and the water melts gradualy as you need it. it keeps my back cooler therefore less sweat. it is a great byproduct of me wanting cold water for the trail. highly recomended thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

I bring an extra shirt or two, and then change to the dry one when I stop. I hate to be wet with sweat. When I get ready to go again, I put the wet shirt back on and stuff the dry one in the pack.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem still-hunting blacktails in western Washington. Now I wear lighter clothes and fewer of them. I wear polypro boxer briefs instead of full-length long johns, and a long-sleeved polypro shirt. Both are in the lightest weight I can find. On top of that, I wear cargo pants, a North Face Guide Jacket, an orange Filson vest, wool socks and non-insulated GoreTex boots. I keep moving all day, but I have a lightweight fleece in my pack for the rare stop.

I also realized I was lugging far too much junk, and that the extra weight required a pack. I pared it back to just the essentials, and now all I need fits into a large fanny pack with suspenders like an infantryman's web gear. I use a different one, but it looks like this one:

http://nimrodpacks.com/hunt/N550.html

After losing all the extra clothes, plus the junk and the daypack I needed to haul it, it's like night and day.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Australia I was shown the advantages of the Berghaus Freeflow suspension system in the extreme heat. Check it out, against your back is only the mesh with an air channel behid it so it's a no sweat situation and it works great for me in Arizona.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote