THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    How do you minimize B.O. on a backpack hunt?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you minimize B.O. on a backpack hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When the daytime temps are above freezing, I wash my crack and other odor producing regions with some soap and stream water. But when it is colder, I have difficulty washing. Then at night when I try to put my head in my sleeping bag, I find the stench overwhelming. It is a difficult problem.

Posts: 37 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 06 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I don't breath inside my sleeping bag, ever. Not even at -20F...especially not at -20F. The frost would be unbearable.

Have you tried Hunter's Specialties wipes?

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarbe:
I don't breath inside my sleeping bag, ever. Not even at -20F...especially not at -20F. The frost would be unbearable.

Have you tried Hunter's Specialties wipes?

Tim

What are Hunter's Specialties wipes and where do you buy them? I have had this same problem. If I can't have a bath or shower after several days of crapping in the woods my nether regions stink to high hell. I am sure them game can smell it if I can. I have the scent reducing soap but if you can't wash it is of no use.

Posts: 37 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use "wet wipes". If below freezing you can hold them near the fire.
Use them on your whole body when necessary.

Use a product like "Pssssst" on your hair, your wife should know what it is.

Also use baby powder on your feet and your "genetalia" every night.

Use wet wipes after each bathroom No2, and on your hands as well.

After 40 days in the field you will still smell fresh as a French Whore. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Baby wipes and Gold Bond foot powder keep me going. How on the potty training but while sheep hunting it seems I only produce a little hobo turd every few days or so.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warm weather: Baby wipes, I prefer the unscented ones and Gold Bond powder work great for me. I take the baby wipes out of their package in cold weather and wring them out then soak them in rubbing alcohol, keeps them from freezing most of the time. I think this would also work better at oder control if you had really bad BO.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What do you wear for a baselayer? For me, a synthetic base like Capiliene will smell more after two hours than a merino wool top will in five days. The smell from the synthetic sticks around even if you change shirts. Try it out if you havn't already, there's a HUGE difference.

Carl

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whackemandstackem:

What are Hunter's Specialties wipes and where do you buy them?

http://www.hunterspec.com/upda...ID=402&categoryID=32

Go about 3/4 of the way down the page. They have 2 sizes.

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take baby wipes and pack them tight with a foodsaver. They take up almost no room, carry them everywhere.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Ross:
What do you wear for a baselayer? For me, a synthetic base like Capiliene will smell more after two hours than a merino wool top will in five days. The smell from the synthetic sticks around even if you change shirts. Try it out if you havn't already, there's a HUGE difference.

Carl

For cold weather I use some military stuff that is some type of poly blended with merino (sp?) wool, very little stink but also way too warm for early season warm weather. I've found that the brand of polypro I use seems to make a difference. I think this is because they are not all the same. Patagonia seems to stink less than cheap stuff for me at least. Cool-Max also has less of a stink. I believe that these are not "polypro" in the purest sence but some other type of synthetic fiber. Layering and not "overdressing" for the weather are important, frankly on most warm weather hunts I never wear underwear. Here in Montana I stick to light synthetics or GI camo BDU's (I put a set of long johns in my pack in case I get cold).

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Ross:

Carl

I love the feeling of wool on my scrotum. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
suggestion: shave your crotch, butt and armpits. It makes cleanup in the wilderness much easier.

Posts: 41 | Location: southern Cal. | Registered: 08 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three help immeasurably.

1. Beginning one week before the event, take three pharmacologically pure chlorophyll tablets daily. These are intended for colostomy bags. While on the trip, one tablet daily. These will severely retard all body odor. This is food and cannot possibly hurt you.

2. Beginning a couple of days before the event, apply pharmacologically pure aluminum chloride solution to those areas of your body prone to severe sweating, such as armpits. This has some risk. Some people develop skin rashes/irritation from the drying agent. Continue during trip.

3. Wear clothing next to your body that contains [strands of] silver thread. Silver is a bacteriostat that does not wear out. Retard bacteria; retard odor.

Hope these help.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Huntermontana has the right idea. Baby wipes augmented with rubbing alcohol is the ticket. Add a bit of gold bond and Johnson's baby powder and all should be well in the nether regions.

450NE No2 also has the right idea with the "psssst".

http://www.harmondiscount.com/605923410006.html

If you are really serious about your hunting and scent control....

http://www.parthenoninc.com/st...gory=10&idproduct=87

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
A small blue baby bulb syringe and a cup of warm water to achieve rectal cleansing after (or to achieve) the morning BM will eliminate the odor that's still there after the above methods.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does that mean put the water up the rectum, or just rinse off?

Posts: 37 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put a stripe of diaper rash ointment on each side in the sweaty regions. The high zinc oxide content kills the bacteria that causes the odor and the fish oil keeps it from sweating off of your skin. The stuff stinks but not as bad as crotch rot.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:

Insert and squirt. The idea is to get the last few little t#rds cleaned out. A light coating of vaseline is also probably helpful for the process.

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
quote:

Insert and squirt. The idea is to get the last few little t#rds cleaned out. A light coating of vaseline is also probably helpful for the process.

Such acrobatics might be a problem for the hunter who is getting old, and has a stiff back. Do they then ask their fellow hunters for assistance??? Eeker sofa bewildered moon

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
JB
it is actually possible only for those who are still acrobatic enough to be able to wipe their own A#s! Big Grin

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

posted Hide Post
I prefer to avoid inserting things into the lower orifices, leaving those practice to the denizens of San Francisco. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chlorophyll, quality light wool against the skin, evening wipe downs, and rotation of next to skin layers. Foul odors will be greatly reduced and you'll end up smelling like wood smoke and the great outdoors.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
All of my backback hunts to date have been in very arid regions, thus there is no water to use in washing. It's hard enough to carry sufficient drinking water, I'm not about to carry more to wash with. Once I had kids I found out how useful diaper wipes are, so now I just put some of those in a ziploc bag and go for it. I do like the ideas here related to reduction of bacteria, as prevention is better than cure in most cases. Diaper rash cream in conjunction with diaper wipes might be just the ticket! Big Grin I also like to carry an extra base layer (very light) and rotate those daily, airing the one not being worn during the day.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fatbutnotdead,

It seems the older I get, the ranker I get.

You might check out "Brigade Quarters". They sell stuff for military and police. They have some "Hooah" Field towels that work pretty good, and are large enough. On extended hunts I basically strip down in my sleeping bag and give my self a bath with 3 or 4 of these towels.
Baby powder or gold bond powder helps. I've also found a 7 day deoderant called "Lavilin" Works pretty darn good. You can do a google search on the web. It can also be purchased at Brigadequarters.com. I've used this combination for several years now on trips of up to 10 days with no bathing facilities.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Use "wet wipes". If below freezing you can hold them near the fire.
Use them on your whole body when necessary.

Use a product like "Pssssst" on your hair, your wife should know what it is.

Also use baby powder on your feet and your "genetalia" every night.

Use wet wipes after each bathroom No2, and on your hands as well.

After 40 days in the field you will still smell fresh as a French Whore. Big Grin

Obviously you haven't smelled a French whore. Big Grin

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
WTF!!! Definitely no shame on this thread. Just boil some water and wash your ass and pits. Or get a Sherpa to do it for you. Roll Eyes Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am truely packing in the high country and away from a base camp where water and bathing is easier, this is what I do;

use the wipes etc as others above have stated,
I also pack a 2oz bottle of liquid camp soap and two 1 gal size plastic bags.when I cross a stream or spring I fill the bags with water and strip down---One quick wet down and then lather up head to toe thoroughly.
I then rinse off with the bags of water--open a small corner at top of bag and slowly poor out.

if the water is cold---not a good time to be a wussie but you can heat water in a large/oversize cup quickly with stove or fire cube and add hot water to the bag until water temp is good enough.

if camping out for multiple days--I do the same but I also pack a small plastic trash bag (5-10 gal)---fill with some water from spring and throw in my shirt, underwear etc. squirt some soap and shake & agitate---------poor out and repeat with fresh water. Ring out clothes and air dry--presto--washed clothes--I only wash base layer stuff like underwear, thermals, teeshirts.

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Don't wear cotton boxers or briefs under your base layers. Wear synthetic. For longer duration hunts wool as apposed to synthetic base layers as wool minimizes scent. Some fabrics contain silver which helps with scent control.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
True bluebloods, such as myself, don't have this trouble. I do however, get an overwhelming chuckle at the thought of a hunter on a sheep mountain with a bulb syringe up his azz! Seriously, take a baby wipe bath, THEN use it to wipe your azz AFTERWARDS!

I do allow my guide to gently frost my nads with a powder, Zeasorb AF, from time to time to guard against chaffing
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell I saw this was starting to get kinkie up there about that blue syringe thing . I guess you would find out who your real friends were, - I vote for unsented baby wipes w/aloe - gold bond powder and A&D Diaper rash ointment. it'stoo hard to keep your butt plugs, gags, whips, nipple clamps,and restraints clean in the field leave them at home with your life partner.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a rule in camp-----everyone cleans up or nobody does!

nothing worse than you cleaning up and having to share camp with everyone else smelling like a lockerroom.
if no one else is washing up---you better not either out of self defense Big Grin

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mvu:

I love the feeling of wool on my scrotum. dancing

You must be either a Kiwi or a Taff.

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No thanks with the tip Graves (pun intended), I'm sticking with the baby wipes.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Washngton State | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
quote:
found a 7 day deoderant called "Lavilin" Works pretty darn good.

Yep. Works great under the arms.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote