THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    One man tent recommendations....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One man tent recommendations....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read alot about the Atko one man by Hilleberg and I like it from what I read. What other tents have you used? What do you recommend?
Best regards,

Posts: 46 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used to use "humbugs" don't know the maker. They weren't top of the line but were nice tents. Single ridge pole, mesh roof with a rain fly. They were kind of a man and a half so two could sleep in them but damned crowded!! The single ridge pole (aluminum not fiberglass) was interesting in the wind. The tent would just flatten down a little, we were in some damned stiff winds and never a problem. Weight was about 3 lbs I think.

The chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used an "Akto", but, Hilleberg tents have an outstanding reputation worldwide among serious outdoors people who actually "walk their talk". I am considering purchase of two, probably an "Unna" for winter use, solo, where the slight extra weight is compensated for by the increased floorspace, very welcome in multi-day snow camps and the new very large one due out this summer, for a basecamp on jetboat trips.

I can recommend Integral Designs MKILong tents with vestibule as being just superb and they can be bought in the USA for about $575.00 USD plus about $100.00 for the vestibule. I have used I.D. gear since 1993 and NOBODY makes better gear, absolutely nobody. I also have an original Bibler tent, a "Solo Dome", very light and a touch too small for hunting camping, it is my backpack fishing tent.

I have used many others, however, the one "tent" that I would strongly recommend in this context is the Kifaru Paratipi, in Coyote Brown. This tent looks, on paper, maybe too complex to set up and too simple in design; I have one as well as a Six person K-tipi and I will flatly state that the PT is the single, best, overall one person shelter for tough conditions I have owned or used in 50 years of backpacking.

It is just brilliant and, like Kifaru's other gear, designed and tested by a couple of guys who know what they are doing because they actually DO what they talk about. Patrick Smith is the head designer and EdT does the stoves and they both know their stuff. I use this as my basic backpack hunting tent and it can be set up on trekking poles as I did early last autumn after I bought it, or, even on a couple of stout stivks cut to the right lengths, it comes with adjustable poles.

So, there are the three tentmakers that I would buy from and have and will; another option is the bivy sack/syltarp combo and this is my choice in my light hunting pack for possible unplanned or emergency overnighters.....happens a lot as I walk too far for an old phart, so, I just "siwash" and return to my ancient Corolla the following day...these are the hunts where Iuse my combo guns and harvest Grouse and Deer on the same jaunt.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your responds. I appreciate it.
Best regards

Posts: 46 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted Hide Post
Take a lokk at the golite.com tipis as well.

Good Shoot'n!

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kutenay--in rain what happens if you touch the tent?? water inside or not?? is it the same for the tepee's??,,,,,chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John,

I am new to this site..over from the 24hr campfire. I have a Hillenberg UNA. This is still a one man tent but just a little bigger For solo it's just about perfect. I have used it in Alaska, Idaho, and Colorado under just about any conditions from snow and rain to winds that I can't even guess how hard. I left in erected one day while out and a unbelievable storm came up I fully expected to find it flattened or at least blown off the ridge. It was there unscathed. It will comfortable hold me and my pack, rifle etc. Or the pack can stay oin the vestibule. In a pinch two can squeeze in. Excellent quality. It's just big enough that I can get fully dressed inside, I don't think you can in the Akto. It weghs about 4lbs.
Good tent!

Lefty

Posts: 1 | Location: Mid atlan & N. Colo | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try a hennessy hammock. light, comfortable one man tent. total bug ptrotection. suitable for tropical conditions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to second what Siulhunter said about the Hennessy hammock alternative. By adding the 4season kit or getting the Super Shelter form the start, the Hennessy Hammocks can be made to go considerably colder, especially if you add a Nunatak ARC sleeping systems as your sleeping bag and another underneath you as insulation in the 4season Kit Under Cover.

You can get a Arc Alpinist, a 20 degree quilt type bag that weighs in at 18 oz for the 5' 10" model in its lightest shell fabric, with a 2.5" baffel height. The Ghost weighs 14 oz and has 2" baffel height and is conservatively rated to 32 degrees, making it lighter in weight than most pads are when the .85 oz shell material is chosen. You also can choose the Micro Light or Endurance/Eppic at slightly higher weights.

The Ghost can be suspended from the 5.75 oz Hennessy open celled pad, which floats, suspended, between the 7.75 oz Under Cover of water and windproof silnylon and the bottom of the hammock. Add that to the weight of the 1 lb 12 oz UltraLite Backpacker A-symetrical Hammock, and you have a light weight single person shelter good to go to 20 degrees F and colder with the clothing you will be carrying anyway.

All you need is two trees, 10 to 12 feet apart, and two stakes to set it all up. Weight, including both sleeping bags, 4Season Kit, Hammock, stuffsacks and all comes in at about 5 lbs, which isn't that much heavier than a lot of one person tents that don't include youe sleeping gear. It doesn't matter if the ground is level or not, if it's wet or rocky, whethere the wind blows or not, you are all set to go with a comfortable, bugproof night's sleep with this system in place.

Hennessy's prices are quite reasonable. Nunatak,s bags are considerably more expensive but well worth what they cost.

www.hennessyhammock.com

www.nunatakusa.com

Rusty

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had been having spring like conditions with day time highs running in the 70s. But winter decided it wasn't dun yet, providing an opportunity for me to do some more hammock testing in below freezing conditions.

I tried the Marmot Componet Bag System suspended by its straps below the Hennessy pad and it worked well. But my bottom was a little cool when I made a nature call in the middle of the night, so I put the bag on top of the pad and it worked even better that way for me, which is a real plus because you don't need specilizid equipment like the Component Bag System or the Nunatak Arc series bags to augment your hammock's warmth, any old bag will do on top of the pad.

I used a Big Agnes bag in the hammock the first night with out a pad in the bag's pad compartment, which worked well enough but is a bit of a bear to get into and back out of in a hammock. The next night I put the BA bag on the Hennessy pad in the Under Cover and used the top Of the Componet Bag System in the hammock as a footed quilt for my sleeping bag, which was much easier to use and warmer because it's so much easier to tightly tuck the bag in around you in a hammock.

Like Nunatak's ARC bags, the CBS doesn't have a hood. Nunatak makes a down balaclava to serve that purpose, or you can just put on a hooded jacket to sleep in. When I made an early morning head call the next morning, I put on a 60's vintage hooded down jacket and got back into my the hammock for a few extra zzzs. I found the combination of a hooded jacket and the footed quilt to be very warm and comfortable to sleep in. More comfortable, in fact, than most hooded sleeping bags that I have used, and equally warm or warmer.

So there are a number of ways in which you can augment the warmth of a hammock for the fall hunting seasons and still have a light weight, compact single person shelter which will not croud you out of your pack...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Eureka Timberline 4 Man with Vesibule

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd highly recommend a tent from MSR (Mountain Safety Research). I'm not sure offhand what they have as far as 1 man tents but I have a 3 man and it's hellfor stout. Used it in the Brooks Range for sheep in some very nasty weather - high winds, snow & sleet. This stuff didn't let up for a day. We were warm & toasty in it. MSR is located in the Seattle area I believe and they test their designs themselves in the real world. If the design doesn't work, they don't sell it. Just my opinion of a very good, well made piece of equipment.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hey guys, seems like the best kept secret in north america is the New Zealand brand MACPAC.
For a 1 man tent I use a Macpac Microlite

Check it out atmacpac tents

these tents have been proven all around the
world

Cheers

Posts: 28 | Location: downunder | Registered: 29 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hennessey Hammock. I'm 6' 1" 210 lbs. Great & lightweight. I have arthritis in my hip & knee. Sleeping in a tent on the cold ground keeps me awake during the knight. The Hammock allows me to sleep in comfort unless you are a stomach sleeper.

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
I'd highly recommend a tent from MSR (Mountain Safety Research). I'm not sure offhand what they have as far as 1 man tents but I have a 3 man and it's hellfor stout. Used it in the Brooks Range for sheep in some very nasty weather - high winds, snow & sleet. This stuff didn't let up for a day. We were warm & toasty in it. MSR is located in the Seattle area I believe and they test their designs themselves in the real world. If the design doesn't work, they don't sell it. Just my opinion of a very good, well made piece of equipment.
Bear in Fairbanks
MSR owned by REI

one of us
posted Hide Post
THESE GUYs have some pretty unique products. A buddy has one of the 4 man and says he will never go to another "tent" again.
offer all sorts of styles and sizes and even have small stoves as part of the packages for options.

http://www.kifaru.net/paratipi3.htm

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John358:
I have read alot about the Atko one man by Hilleberg and I like it from what I read. What other tents have you used? What do you recommend?
Best regards,

10X12 plastic Tarp = $4.00

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same here! clap

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
For the last 4 years or so I have been using a 2 man Sierra Design Clip Flashlite as my back packing tent. It weighs appr. 4lbs but gives me a little extra room for those less than perfect days that I experience so much here in BC.

I also always have my Cheasapeake Bay Retriever with me and have the room for her to be inside this tent with me as well. She alerts me to anything out of the ordinary at night.

I sleep very well knowing that she is there beside me. I can deal with almost any situation if or when she wakes me up. I have lost count of all the animals that she has scared off or alerted me too now.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fairly recent entrant worth looking at in the tent market is Mountain Hard Wear's Skyledge 2. The 2 indicates that it is a two person shelter buit would really be better for one person.

This is a bug style tent with an all-mesh canopy. A 2 pole plus a strut gives nearly verticle side walls and it has the clip supports insteas of pole sleeves. It has 45 inches of interior head height and is 46 and 40 inches wide at its slightly wedge shaped ends, with 88 inches of length on the rectanglar floor plan.

This is a stand alone tent, with 2 doors and 2 36 inch extended vestibules on side entries. The doors are set up so you have net coverage to help keep masquitoes out entering and exiting the tent instead of having just an open door way if you don't unzip the door all the way at the top.

The tent and fly can be pitched with as few as 6 stakes but will sand alone with no staking at all except for the vestibule doors on the fly. You can get the FootPrint option and pitch it in a pack light mode of just the footprint, fly and poles when bug protection isn't needed for a weight of 1 Lb 6 Oz. Minimum tent weight is 4 Lbs 2 Oz. The footprint weighs 8 Ozs. and the tent comes in a fairly environmentally friendly color sceeme.

The Skyledge 2 tent can be seen at www.mountainhardwear.com/tents
...Rusty.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I have a Eureka Solitaire that has been seen a few trips over the years. It certainly packs small enough and is fairly light (replaced the stakes with titanium), but I doubt it will last as long as more expensive tents. It is not easy to set up or get into and the poles are crappy. But for $70 and a little tweaking it is certainly servicable.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i have used the henessy hammock for years all over the world...it gets two thumbs up!

but!...

always have extra 5 mil climbing rope on hand and carry two carbeeners for easy wrap around a tree and clip.

i always also pack a lightweight kelty tarp that can be configured thousands of ways to make a shade/shelter when no trees are present/keep rain off gear ect ect ect.

i stuff a 3/4 thermarest pad inside my sleaping bag so it does not slip away and keeps me warm in the cold. in the cold the sleeping bag is squished and there is not enough insulation to keep you warm. also use the stuff sack for a pillow. stuff it with a tshirt. one more thing...put some gear under yer knees to keep yer leggs from falling asleap if you sleep on yer back...if yer leggs are locked for a few hours they will fall asleap.

i dont believe in solo shelter tents cuzz of lack of room. i also highly reccomend big agness tents for their one piece skeleton

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Bush Man:
Eureka Timberline 4 Man with Vesibule

Big Grin I get the joke! Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hennessey explorer deluxe - fantastic, best sleep you can get away from home. 3/4 thermarest in the bag and I have been snug as bug while the snow fell - last fall in BC’s mountains.

The snake skins make packing a dodle, the extra large fly afords more than enough room for both hammock and gear

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote