New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favorite Multi-Tool?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I didn't know if this belonged here or on the knife forum. So I'll ask it here first.

What's your favorite Multi-Tool for field use?

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
The original model Leatherman.

Given to me by my Texan uncle, much to the chagrin of my mother, when I was 16.

It's still going strong 11 years later Cool

Regards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Any of the full size Leatherman's with pliers and locking blades.

My first early leatherman, years ago, got to cape a dall sheep after both the Alaskan guide and I had forgotten our knives that day. It later got traded it to a PH in Mozambique for his leatherman that had a broken main blade. He needed a fully functioning one.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I like the Original Leatherman Supertool, can not stand the "Wave" the one that was supposed to replace it.

The "Supertool" has a much better saw blade on it than the wave and I have used that little saw blade to get thru the pelvis on deer, elk, pronghorn, caribou, moose, and javelina.

Between the "Supertool" and a Buck 110 Folding Hunter, I don't carry a sheath knife anymore.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry an original full-size Leatherman in the field and usually carry around a Squirt with pliers any other time. Only problem with the Squirt is the non-locking knife blade. I found out the hard way that it's extremely sharp!

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Leatherman Wave - great tool.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
A Hammer. Best tool I've ever used.

A rock is a close second!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Leatherman "Barbie" model. That bitch has everything!!

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
The Leatherman Wave: Being able to get to a blade with one hand makes it a much better tool than the earlier models. For "Concealed Carry I have a Leatherman "Juice CS"

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These 'multi-tools' have really evolved!

Now they have true locking blades, the most used features can be accessed without opening the handles, made with quality steel and light weight materials, and bit drivers that turn them into a usable "field gunsmithing" screw driver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original Leatherman is great for urban use and social ocassions. Still have mine after like 12 years (it has that tiny screwdriver for tightening my eyeglass screws).
I carry a Gerber tool in the woods. Has a bit more "grunt" in the pliers and knife blades.
Use the Gerber on my wilderness canoe trips. Great for "lipping" those big pike up in the Boundary Waters.
Attach some sort of lanyard or you might lose it.
Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Gerbers, I like the pliers they have or outdoor use better than the usual leatherman needlenose versions.

I also carry around a leatherman micra which is tiny and still functional. I'm going to get a leatherman C2 one of these days as I use a corkscrew on occasion.

But for camping and hunting I like the gerber.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Gerber "Mutiplier".

Blades don't lock....... POS! Frowner

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Another vote for leatherman Wave for the one-handed ease of use and locking blades.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They make great client gifts, and we've given out (and I've used) almost every kind over the past 20 years or so. My favorite is the Victorinox.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anything but a Leatherman !!!!!!
Victorinox is my #1 multitool

Posts: 483 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted Hide Post
Dunno what it was, but in 1970 I was in the Republic of South Vietnam, fighting the 3d North Vietnamese Division and I had something on my belt that was the ORIGINAL multitool. Pliers, wire cutters, cutting blade, file, etc. It was the cat's ass.

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Leatherman Wave. Orginal Leatherman is somewhere in the Susquehanna River, lost while changing an shear pin. Had a Gerber, it pinched me one too many times, it's in a cornfield where ever it landed. I hope they've engineered that problem out. The Wave's been all over the US, parts of Africa, a few Carribean countries, Mexico and Canada.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Leatherman Blast. Lighter than the Wave but still has everything you would NEED.

Thanks, Mark G
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Leatherman Wave. Haven't tried that many, but this works fine for me.

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Carry a Leatherman Wave every day, but for packing I have a new version of the "old" Leatherman - the original. It's much lighter than the Wave and has the basic tools I need while hunting.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sog

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael A. Glass:
The original Leatherman is great for urban use and social ocassions. Still have mine after like 12 years (it has that tiny screwdriver for tightening my eyeglass screws).
I carry a Gerber tool in the woods. Has a bit more "grunt" in the pliers and knife blades.
Mike

I agree. The Gerber Multiplier Scout is head and shoulders above a 'Leatherlady' if you actually plan to use it. The Leatherman just does not survive hard use.

The Gerber Multiplier started out without locking blades and a handle that could pinch you when using the pliers. Those problems have been fixed.

The best part besides the durability and lifetime warranty is the fact that you can deploy the pliers with one hand. This feature is very useful and comes in handy more often than you might think.

Keep the Leatherman in your purse.

Reading the Instructions - a sure sign of weakness and uncertainty.

Posts: 147 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my current favorite multi-tool....

The Leatherman Skeletool CX (shown with 1/4" hex adapter attached).......

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an original leatherman that was served me well for a long time. I have one of the original gerbers all so. That model gerber sucks as it really can pinch your hand badly.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
My Brain! If that dosnt count, rope! thumb pissers

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think my all time favorite has got to be...............a regular flat blade screwdriver. I also keep a leatherman handy and a p38.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Gerber, but it's too bulky to carry most of the time so I still carry my Leatherman PST-II, the second design with the scissors and the dia

Not getting the knife blade out onehanded?
Not a problem I also carry a S&W linerlock knife.

I don't leave my desk here without both.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Leatherman Charge TI with the add on bit kit.

The additional bits allow me to access almost any screw I will ever encounter. The rest of the tools are top notch and are very accessible even with one hand. Not a cheap tool to be sure but none better.

The Leatherman range/size super tools are also great. I wish they would make them in a TI model.
I have carried one every day for work and play for over 10 years. I am very hard on them and downright abuse them. They are the first tool I reach for every time (partial as they are always with me).

I send back my abused knives once a year to Leatherman and they always fix them and have never charged me a dime thought I continue to offer.

Save your pennies, but a TI and never look back.

Life member
RMEF
SCI
NAHC
NRA
Weapons of choice;
Ruger #1
Any good Sixgun

Posts: 38 | Location: Canadice, NY | Registered: 05 April 2004Reply With Quote