THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    475 linebaugh power, 480 ruger length 1.285" 475-500 linebaugh
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

475 linebaugh power, 480 ruger length 1.285" 475-500 linebaugh
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Bottleneck revolver rounds are historically problematic. I agree with what everyone is saying about a .475/500 not being a very good idea, let alone a reality.

I just read some on Linebaughs website and found it quite interesting that he has settled on a mid/heavy bullets per each cartridge and a velocity around 1200. My own bumblings with .44s, .45s, and a .475 led me to similar conclusions. He knows what he speaks and is very "balance" oriented. A bottleneck .475LB on a .480DA frame is about as tippy as it gets.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
well if 1200 is the magic number o.k. but i think the reason for the bigger bullet is the heavier bullets...if the casull does 400 @ 1200 than the ruger should be in the 440 to 460 in range of weights imho not that their are flies on the 400 or 420's

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My thought is, once you get consistent exits, the only way to gain power is to up diameter.

I have a feeling there are a limited number of times a game animal would keep a 400 gr 475 hardcast launced at 1200 fps inside it's body, hence going up in caliber and bullet weight would be the way to go.

The other problem with the proposed wildcat is that the 500L opperates at lower pressures than the 475, so what you'd gain in case capacity would be lost in lower operating conditions.

And finally to the suggestion of polishing the chambers in my cylinder, I like the fact that factory loads are slightly sticky, as I can work up loads and have an indication of what pressures I'm running. So long as it doesn't stick, I'm under factory levels, and thats the way I like it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
great points paul...

the bottleneck idea is dead to me...

long loaded 460's...well...

i guess i need to learn how to conform...arghhrghh!!!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Lee Martin (from the link at the beginning of this thread http://www.singleactions.com/) has a couple of aritcles about bottleneck cases in converted Rugers. It sounds like he hasn't had hardly any problems with his conversions.
I do agree that a bottlenecked 475 on a Ruger would not return much if anything. With a lager case, the pressures would have to be kept down and you might not gain any extra velocity.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote