Tools

CHEAP REACTIVE TARGETS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Ex wives!
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wild dogs

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eviioiive:
bowling pins

It is the only way I can score a "strike."

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried explosive targets at long range? you can get theses 'super reactive" targets via tannerite.com. Anyone tried making their own explosive targets? I havent had any success. If anyone has any formulas,do tell!

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
12 GA fired shotgun shell standing up on a plank @ 20 yards with a handgun.

12 GA unfired ammo showing the primer to the shooter @ 50 yards with a .22 rimfire rifle.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Indlovu

Check out this site.

http://www.boomershoot.org

Yea I just got to get there one day soon.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
This time of year, lots of leftover fruit and vegetables in the garden. These work nicely.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2579 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
capped steel pipe filled with gunpowder. I usually use a .223 or .308 but ive set one off with a .22 magnum before coffee

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We used to fill several gallon milk jugs with water and put them on a side of a hill at 300 yds. We would shoot them with wour hunting rifles for a tuneup before deer hunting season

100yds with a .223, put colored water in them . THe little 16oz or so, plastic pop bottles are great to! I scatter them, 100yds, 200yds, and 300yds.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indlovu:
Has anyone tried explosive targets at long range? you can get theses 'super reactive" targets via tannerite.com. Anyone tried making their own explosive targets? I havent had any success. If anyone has any formulas,do tell!

We’ve made and shot Tannerite targets as small as a Skoal can full up to….well lets just say a 10 lb. case of the stuff only made a few targets. clap

We bought the stuff straight from Tannerite, never tried to duplicate the formula with local ingredients. This stuff needs a centerfire rifle round to set it off, a rimfire or pistol round won’t do it.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
It IS cat piss!

Is why the world's #1 golfer is named Tiger.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
One word: Tannerite.

Ill agree with you on this one thumb

Amazing if mixed correctly

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee
Well, my uncle once strapped explosives to his hogs and put them out at 400 yrds, there was bacon on the roof of his neighbors house from a half mile away.

Also, If you are really crazy, you can fill up the large propane bottles that you would use for your grill, and shoot that, the only thing is you have to use a gun with a lotta power to penetrate through the metal, our friends use .50 cals.

______________________Don't set on here babbling all day about scopes, safari's, and guns. Go out a live life for what it is worth. Go find out and share your information. BUt most of all, HAVE FUN!!

C.J. out. Smiler

Posts: 33 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 26 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the "Mythbusters" fail to set off propane cylinders with a rifle. But they were using full tanks.
I find that almost empty ones work best.
Kind of obvious if you think about it.
But you need tracer to set 'em off reliably.

ps. don't stand too close.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Necco wafers make great reactive targets. They are a real challenge at 200yds. They are the small thin sugar wafers for those that are not familiar with the term Necco wafers. They are easy to hit at 100 yds. but at 200 they are a bit more of a challenge.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with Necco wafers is that they are good to eat. I'd probably eat more than I shot...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Light a road flare
set next to a full gallon of gasoline
Shoot gasoline from a minimum of 100yds with 22-250 hp
A gallon of gasoline has force = 7 sticks of dynamite

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I like to set golf balls on there tee's and wow I lost one from a 243 in the distance.
I also live in Maine so there is a lot of stone slate, anything under 1" reacts wicked nifty.
Something I did in high school I recommend only in a place where nothing will burn!
I used soda cans filled them with gas, lined them up and lit the middle can, from there I would shoot the middle can. There would soon be fallowed by a huge fire ball also lighting the tops of the other cans(dont leave them half full or they pop too). Then you can continue to shoot them and know when you hit from long range with the nice bight ball of fire.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glue some red spray painted aspirin tablets on any kind of paper target........if you have a very accurate rifle, say BR type, Anschutz, etc with high optics, a great target at 100 yds. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Ex wives!

No good. He said CHEAP!

This is very true, unless they live next door. The total cost of looking them finding out there patterns and setting up a accident at 2800fps is too expensive! lol
*Just for the records i m kidding around*....
(You just never know about people)

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a plastic pop bottle, turn on your actelean torch, light it and get a good blue flame, as to cut, put the flam out by snuffing it on your boot bottom . Fill 2 liter pop bottle a count of 20 and cap tightly. shoot at any range 15 to 400 yards, will explode with loud bang and flash. You can use any convient size plastic bottle. a 22 will usually set it off if you have the mix right. Add a litle gasoline for a bigger flash.
Caution: don't let the bottles roll around while taking them to the range, static can set them off. I usually use an old pop carrier to prevent static build up. My son filled a garbage bag with this mix, cops for miles around were looking for the explosion.
Have fun.

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Local range has serveral Hedge trees. Once the hedge balls drop it's open season on them. 22-250 and 30 caliber A-max make for an impressive green mist at the 200 yard limit.

Posts: 21 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: 20 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I have to admit some of you guys by the sounds of it are quite marksmen

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been informed, that if you spray mosquito repellent in a plastic pop bottle ( I guess an airesol type) that when shot it will explode! Haven't tried it myself, but may when time permits.
ps. may also kill mosquito so be careful

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Mints make good rimfire/airrifle targets.

In the Uk we have a brand called Treebore or something that make very hand 20mm reactive target, availiable in packs of 15 from your local cornerhsop for the princely sum of 40 pence.

Hot glue to a board on the butt or on string if you want a moving target.

REgards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
archer

Saw in a movie of these friends trying to out shoot each other by shooting olives! LITTLE GREEN OLIVES! Thought it imposable for some time of someone doing that. But the sad thing is after joining a range in my home state.(maine) These guys finshed lunch and one was shooting some of his left overs from a salid he had. Hole small tomatos & olives. "damn wife keeps putting these in and I never liked them" He bitched to his friend. Altho I would have to say that sounds like my soon to be MRS! Just dose not get the hint!

Sense I m thinking in the subject of food, old stale crackers (or new depending on how rich you are ;-P) Crewtons, apples off the ground from your tree(s) rotten frout (VERY FUN WITH FAST FPSS) rotten vegies, old plastic bottle filled with water (river behind my range).

Something fun I have done with muzzleloading is a Tree Cutting Comp. You can take old post's, branches, logs, and what not(you get where I m going). Then get your self a small shovel or post hole digger and prop them in the ground. A little hint! Easiest way is to use a spray paint and place a mark or do it the hard way and just start shooting. First one to cut down and HAVE ONE THE GROUND the top of there peace of wood wins. Easiest way to win would be shoot the bottom! that way you have more LBS from gravity pulling down on the wood.
You should use wood for it to work right! *should*
PS TO EVERYONE I M HALF A SLEEP SORRY FOR THE MISTAKES!

Hey Ghubert, I have a friend if mine who moved to my home state from the UK. I will have to ask him about those. Met my UK friend in a US Civil War reenacting group. Funny thing is he was reenacting the US Civil War in the UK. But there a lot of people who do it around the world. Kinda odd eh?

NRA LIFE MEMBER

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indlovu:

If you want to duplicate tannerite, you could google around to find their patent. It is all spelled out. Or check at AR15.com and ask around. Someone posted it there.

Not sure if patents protect you from folks making it for their own use.

Ethics and legality up to you.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Kain:
I have to admit some of you guys by the sounds of it are quite marksmen

Aim small, miss small.

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
If you can find some scrap metal and can weld(or have a buddy that can), you can make your own targets for fairly cheap. I personally build metal swinging targets for my pistol shooting.

A dueling tree is one example. Plate swings left and right. No resetting.
I don't use this one anymore since I needed something for larger calibers. Even I was a very young, just the sound of the metal "clang" and the movement of target was fun enough for me.

Fruit is also very cool.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Caution: don't let the bottles roll around while taking them to the range; static can set them off.

The possibility of an ignition as a result of static electricity would by its lonesome dissuade me from doing this...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How about night shooting with a string of these between trees

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
charcoal briquettes

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
How about night shooting with a string of these between trees

Sounds fun, but all that glas shards is not good to drop outside...

STIGSmiler

Posts: 87 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 45-70 with hollow points and after Halloween Pumpkins that didn't sell Big Grin

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Something I used to do about 10 years back is soda cans with some type of fuel burning. impact would have a nice fire ball.

Also just using it with water or colored water makes for a good water show.

You can also use soup-bean cans and what not. Clean up is easy enough.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
those crapy toys from Mcdonalds hell a lot of fun with a air rifle or 22lr.
If realy board i use 3006 and put them at 100m

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My local range has an egg shoot every now and then... at 300 yards of course.
has no one mentioned empty soda cans? I love getting them flying by getting a round going just under them, plus the more you hit them the further they get. well that might be good for handguns, but eventually they will get to rifle distances, right?

a friend is a steel fabricator and I've been bugging him to make some targets similar to what griz78 posted. you just gotta get the design right so they don't get stuck in the middle.

Posts: 79 | Location: northwest | Registered: 17 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
And they are biodegradable, so that makes you a Greenie!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We have been shooting veggies and fruit for years that we pick up at the local supermarket. Some of it is stuff that they are going to throw away and they save it for us. It also gives the wildlife something to eat after we're done shooting, and is a great replacement for glass and other nasty stuff that uglies the environment, and gives us shooters a bad name. Plus, the stuff "blows up" pretty good! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shootin at stuff on water anything that floats

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote