Tools

scale every load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey now, you all take it easy on Mick. He is a good guy who was just looking out for the Beginners.

Just looked back through the thread and I see no Ringers, which surprises me. I'd "guess" everyone would enjoy a few beer together that has posted so far. If you all were near me, I'd even buy the first round of Blue Ribbons and a Biscuit for that fine lookin' hound. And the HOG has to be better lookin' than any gal teenScum or jeffee has ever dated. rotflmo

Fine HOG indeed. I can smell the wallow mud just sitting here.

9.3x62? You usin' that on a Dare??? hilbily

Hotsh#t You old Blue Dot, Buttshooter, 25ACP, slayer of thousands??, aka the Ricochet Man and the Innerd Shifter!!!

How are you?? My have I missed you. Good to see that you've climbed out of the ooze.

Seems like your list of those who disagree with you is growing and that's understandable. Actually to be named with those gentlemen is becoming an honor.

Things must be tough at the plant or else the meds have been used up. Now remember to take them regularly. How are things going at Marlin?? We are all waiting for you to go down there and straighten things out for them with all the skill sets that you have. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Seems like you reinforce an old given principle that you are always wrong and we know how hard that is for you. We all understand how hard it is for you to be told that your opinions are wrong when those and your fantasies are the only things left for you to cling to. Being wrong 8,237 times is a kick in the berries but you can do better if you just try a little harder. We are all pulling for you.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
As I posted, HC, Jeff did an excellent service to the newbie in that he suggested that good, accurate, SAFE ammo could be constructed without taking a second mortage on the house.
If there was any attitudes displayed, it was from Mickincolo with his snotty, holier than thou post.
Once again, those dippers with the accompanying charge chart have been around for quite a while and have been proofed by Lee and countless shooters.
No one has suggested that a scale wasn't a great addition to your reloading inventory but the posters were just as adament that the dippers do work. I still can't find anything in Jeff's post that suggests anyone do anything dangerous or irresponible.
I think you've jumped in on the side of Mickincolo because you can't stand to see a good argument without getting some of it. Big Grin

Thank You.

Angry people are interesting, they’ll tell you what they’re thinking. I have no problem with the Lee Dippers or Lee’s chart for that matter. The dipper (if you follow the instructions) will keep you safe (no doubt in my mind). But with out scales you really don’t know what your actual charge is. How could you know?

The only thing I really dislike about this forum is the mixed messages we send to the non-mentored new reloaders. They’re out there watching, not saying a thing, living off our words.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
I vote to end this thread, any seconds?

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
second!

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Lee Dipper and a 505 Beam Scale...

I weigh every powder charge by hand...

and my charges don't vary by even a 1/10 of a grain...

and accuracy is the best I can make it..

otherwise why hand load?

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bkmastr:
Is there a way i can block "mickincolo" from putting posts here? he needs help!

NO.

You can however, click: Go, Personal Zone, Ignore list, Add Users. Do that for him or any other AR member. Their posts are then blocked unless and until you click 'Show Post' on each individual posting. Try it for yourself.

If, in the future, his opinion on another thread rings a bell and he's again in your good graces, you can then remove him from your ignore list.

I don't know of any other forum of this magnitude where every question is answered to the questioner's satisfaction, or doesn't go off on a tangent somehow or another. Moderators ending threads is very unusual on this forum, except perhaps in the Ignorance Crater.

If you or the other two members who asked that this thread be blocked feel it is soo offensive, I suggest you plead your case directly to Saeed or Don (DRG).

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no, i'm not wanting this thread to end... i'm still getting a few opinions. I am the one who created this thread... I just didn't care to read what that guy had to say. he is once sided and didn't care what anybody else thought.

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
only on target loads or during load dev do i weigh every charge. I use a progressive most of the time these days .. and if I feel like weighing every charge, I just remove the powder station and weigh every charge and fill the case at the top of the stroke.

then again, i don't routinely do top of the charts loads ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38490 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well i finally made it to the range and shot my two bullet weights using the Creighton Audette Load Development Method. I have pictures of my targets, but don't know how to add pictures on here. I am wanting to post them to have someone with more experience, read them, and help me out.
Can someone tell me how to post pictures?
thanks

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in College, away from my loading gear back home, I loaded 264 Win Mag ammo with a Lee loader, and 44 Mag ammo for rifle and handgun with a Lyman tong tool.

I used the Lee dippers for my powder charges with excellent performance.

As long as you have a consistant technique your loads will perform fine.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bkmastr:
Well i finally made it to the range and shot my two bullet weights using the Creighton Audette Load Development Method. I have pictures of my targets, but don't know how to add pictures on here. I am wanting to post them to have someone with more experience, read them, and help me out.
Can someone tell me how to post pictures?
thanks

go here
http://forums.accuratereloadin...22101325/m/951100671

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://i828.photobucket.com/al...rwithtapemeasure.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/al...rwithtapemeasure.jpg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i am hope these are accurate enough tests. I felt comfortable with my shots. Since i was shooting alone, and had no spotting scope i had to drive to the target after every shot at the 300yrd range, which allowed the barrel to cool. with the 100gr bullet @200 i was able to spot most hits in my scope and mark on a paper. for the ones i could not spot i drove to the target and then marked them. On the 100gr 200yrd target i shot the first three rounds then moved the scope down 6 clicks, because i was afraid they would fall in the square and make the holes hard to spot. If there is any other info i need to share, let me know.
thanks again,
ps there was a slight side wind at 5-8mph

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You'll get the photo in your post instead of just the link if you choose the 'direct link' option found when you hover your pointer over your pic while in your photobucket default album...it's the second choice in the blue drop down box.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HATE computers... killpc I've tried following the instructions T. Carr gave, but i guess I'm not smart enough. Computers get me so frustrated. Guess you guys will have to just click on the links Frowner i could email them as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used an RCBS Uniflo for over 20 years, and I use both stick and ball type powders. Here are the two methods I use:

For stick powders I typically throw and trickle, weighing each case. Understand that this is only for a couple of boxes at a time...

For ball powders I typically load progressive and let the powder measure drop whatever is measured.

Now; having said that, to minimize variation, I use the powder baffle RCBS sells, and additionally I have the powder reservoir marked at 1/3 and 2/3 measurements. I keep the powder somewhere between those two lines. In doing so, typically even the stick powders don't vary over a couple of tenths if my method of throwing is consistent. With ball powders, typically the measure is right on, certainly no more than 0.1 grain, and that is plenty close enough.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
When working up loads, I use a powder measure to get close, then trickle the remainder of the charge. Once the load is worked up, I set the powder measure and forget about the trickler.

I currently use a Belding & Mull clone made by Vega Tool and have found that it throws charges equal to + or -.1 grain, and usually it's dead on. That + or - .1 grain won't make a bit of difference at any range. It's still slower than a drum-type charger. Once I get my second bench finished (this weekend), I will be attaching a Lyman #55 to it and will see how accurate it is. jumping

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Kevins method, work them up, set the measure and forget about it. I have said many times and had many arguments about it, but my finding has been that the powders stay more consistent by volume than by weight from lot to lot. In other words, if I work up a load, set my measure, then eventually change lots of powder, the velocity will vary less if I go back to the measure setting than if I use scales. I get a lot of people questioning this, but none who ever try to prove it wrong. I suspect this is due more to moisture content and drying out than anything ese, but that is a guess. I do know that I can almost always duplicate velocity by recording measure settings and going back to that when changing lots. A .2 grain plus or minus variation seems to have no effect on accuracy, at least in a rifle capable of .5MOA at least. I have always heard that the bench rest guys don't weigh every charge either, but have no personal experience as a BR shooter.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I just count each individual grain, if it broken I count it as 1/2 grain. Time consuming especially with big magnums, but when you want the best...... Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo
How silly. You don't KNOW that the little powder log is EXACTLY half and thus could screw up your load. If you were REALLY SERIOUS about accuracy, you'd thow the broken logs out. Like I do..... neener, neener, neener wave

I read an interesting post, at least to me, where the fellow said when you work up a load usinng the Audette method, to try to select a final load that was as close as possible to the center of the accuracy node. That way, slight flucuations in powder weight would have little or no effect.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I weigh all my load development stuff up and on my high intensity stuff like my 204's and 20 Tactical.

If it is over 20 caliber then I will just throw the charges. If I weighed every charge I'd be way past Social Security before I got to the range. Loading 1000 pieces of 223 or 9X21 does not lend itself to individual weighing of charges.

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load every one on a 505 scale from RCBS.. using Lee Dippers and a trickler..

I don't have to worry about accuracy doing it that way..

I don't like using a Powder Thrower...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do weigh every load every time... but I have the Rcbs Chargemaster so its not at all painful

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the PACT system for my dispensing on the load work up and the stuff that is sensitive like the 20's. I have not felt the need to do it on my 223's and 6X45's. My targets for them are pretty generous and a 4" plate at 200 yards is not a real challenge even with the "thrown" charges.

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote