New
Find
Notify
Tools

which cases for 300 RUM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone experimented with different cases for this cartridge? Which are most accurate with which load and bullets?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I'm not positive but, I believe only Remington makes the ammo and the brass. If you were really anal, you could get Norma .404 Jeffrey cases and run them through the RUM dies but I don't think it would cost effective or wise.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think so too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a 300 RUM for 4 years now...used Remington Brass that I weight sorted and match prepped that did a good job, no real complaints. The Nosler brass, out of the box, is even better! Forget Federal, way too soft at those pressures, enlarged primer pockets after the first reloading.

My two cents worth.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
I bought 100 Remington cases and I'm disappointed, at least in the first 20. Many of my first cartridges had visible runout when rolled across a flat surface. Going without the expander cured a lot of this but some were still crooked. Great! now I need to get a case measuring device!

I'm blaming the brass but I suppose it could be the resizing die. I'm partially full length resizing with a Lee die right now. I haven't yet had time to dig into this problem but I have a feeling that its the brass.

Several of these cases have a visible wobble in the extractor groove when rolled as well. That is, the rim is straight but the web side of the groove is uneven...if that makes sense? I don't know for sure but this seems wrong to me. I haven't checked other cases for this wobble yet so maybe its pretty common.

I also suspect this brass of being soft. I'm seeing slight ejector marks without much flattening of the primer at all. This is pretty subjective though.

I saw a post somewhere that said Nosler brass was way too heavy, ie. not enough capacity. Anybody know more about that? I'm going to try a different brand and since Fed is supposedly even softer than Rem I may try Nosler.

Looking forward to more info on this.

Reading the Instructions - a sure sign of weakness and uncertainty.

Posts: 147 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I just stated a concern for losing a little case capacity in a .300 RUM

*somebody slap that boy*

Posts: 147 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hank,and Thanks Two tone.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
rem makes is, formed, fedearl makes it LOADED ONLY

and jamison will be making basic sooner or later

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
Fooled around some today. I found I was able to eliminate some runout by turning the neck.

Surprisingly to me, the rest of the problem seems to have been from partial full length resizing. Every time I tried to do that, I got runout. If I FLR'd then the ctg. looked straight.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
fedearl makes it LOADED ONLY

Not true.

I split an order of Federal primed brass in 300RUM last year with another AR member.

The Fed was so much better, I chucked the Rem brass.

I used some Fed brass and was able to dump 3 more grains of Re25 for the 200 Nos. AB bullet and still no pressure signs-compared to the REm brass which was already topped out. The Fed is more concentric, more accurate, and more consistent. It's all I will use.

quote:
Originally posted by Two tone:
I bought 100 Remington cases and I'm disappointed, at least in the first 20.

I'm not surprised. Remington brass is last on my list. Fact is, for me anyway, it sucks. I refuse to use it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,you are a good person to have on this forum.A knowledgeable man you are.

One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks Doc. I will see about finding some Federal or maybe Nosler's brass.

Has anyone tried the Nosler stuff? Not just in 300 RUM but in anything?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Doc,
dang, man, you've got more pull with them than I was able to. This time, last year, I as trying to get rum cases for the AR rounds, and federal told me loaded ammo, only... no brass, and "not even for 100,000 cases" could I get "basic" brass.

glad they changed that, as I believe I would rather use federal cases...

just checked midway... no federal rum brass.. just loaded ammo.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, do a search here for Federal 300 RUM brass. Snowwolfe, in Alaska, and I split an order from DLSports.

I learned of it here on AR though. I sorted all of the brass (which wasn't hard to do), and I sent half to Snowwolfe. This isn't the first time this has been brought up: Wink Here's the thread....if ya'd just read a bit futher, you'd a seen where we got it. Razzer

300 RUM brass discussion about this time last year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what about the Nosler brass I bought some in 300 rum but have not shot any yet. I did weigh it and it is very good at about .1 + or -

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The rumor is that Nosler set the specs on brass they wanted and Winchester got the contract.

Nosler wanted brass that was "ready to load."

The brass is supposed to be uniform in weight (within spec), uniform necks, flash holes deburred, and primer pockets uniformed. All trimmed to length. (These were the original specs that I got from Nosler before the brass was even available).

In other words, if you buy WW brass and do these things yourself, it's the same brass.

But as of yet, it's still heresay. I have no doubt the brass is very good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Doc,
dang, man, you've got more pull with them than I was able to. This time, last year, I as trying to get rum cases for the AR rounds, and federal told me loaded ammo, only... no brass, and "not even for 100,000 cases" could I get "basic" brass.

glad they changed that, as I believe I would rather use federal cases...

just checked midway... no federal rum brass.. just loaded ammo.
I just ordered some Nosler brass as I was told by wholesale sports that federal doesn't make it unloaded.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
DL Sports still lists it on their website but it does have a message that they are out of stock and no resupply info available.

Shoot the Nosler brass. I'm sure it is top notch. When I need more, if Fed is unavailable, Nosler is what I will buy.

Update: just spoke with Federal, they will no longer be selling the brass ("as far as I know") is what she said. They did a couple of years ago.

So, definitely go with the Nosler brass.