New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caldwell lead sled?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy Crap...that is an IMPRESSIVE FRONT REST!

Are you sure that thing couldn't be used to cap off the oil well down in LA?????

Kidding aside though...I can afford a lead sled....I don't think I can justify that sucker.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:

If you do not understand why the Sled is not conducive to accuracy then it is a waste of time to try and explain the subtleties of why it is important to have the rifle absolutely level in the rest, the slide test to make sure POA is constant when the rifle is slid rearward back in the rest and rear bag and is returned to the front stop, etc would be lost.

I also understand that others are not tolerant of recoil and flinch---I do not but that still does not change the fact that the Lead Sled is not conducive to greater accuracy that a proper rest such as the one below will provide. I had more than one top made to facilitate my match guns as well.

I agree. There is absolutely no way a lead sled can be compared to a bench rest set up with the quality your rig. I shoot off a Bald Eagle Windage Front Rest, and Bald Eagle Leather Rear Rest. Keeping everything as level as possible is paramount. A lead sled will do absolutely nothing to make a rifle "more accurate", regardless of the cartridge fired in it. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
so, you got 2 idiots not reading instructions, and breaking their guns by abuse?

You're not even making sense. Everyone is an "idiot" who has damaged a rifle in these things, based on nothing more than you haven't. Grow up. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billt:
quote:
so, you got 2 idiots not reading instructions, and breaking their guns by abuse?

You're not even making sense. Everyone is an "idiot" who has damaged a rifle in these things, based on nothing more than you haven't. Grow up. Bill T.

Sorry you are having difficulty keeping with with the converasion. you might start by making your own statements, rather than using the chickenspit tactic of putting words in my mouth. unless leaping to conclusions is your normal mode of interacting with people

yes, these two persons were IDIOTS for not reading the instructions. I didn't say everyone that breaks the gun in a leadsled is .. however, any that willingly overweight it and then complain are idiots .. sorry you can't keep up with the direct line of reason.. you gave an example of 2 persons willfully disregarding instructions .. and blame the product.

they are complaining about "getting caught" being stupid.

but quoting out of context tends to make the posts choppy ... one hopes that you are merely being difficult ..

"grow up" indeed .. great advice .. why don't you help me out by showing me the way? I aint seen it yet, just someone that can't get their foot out of their mouth and wants to point and shout at someone else.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would seem to me if a person feels they "need" a Lead Sled, they would be better served with a smaller gun they could actually shoot. Bill T.

here's the point where you stuck you foot in your mouth ...
Do you feel you "need" a muzzle brake on your 460, or a recoil pad on your 458s?

take em off, macho, show us how its DONE by a real man . or, perhaps, you
quote:
would be better served with a smaller gun you could actually shoot.

476AR,

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm not about to join the warm to heated arguement. I've use a lead sled. I found it as accurate as using sand bags at the range. Heck even as good as my normal range. Would I rate it in the Bench Rest front rest category NO WAY. Between mny buddy and I we have shot 100s maybe a 1000 rds from his. We never add more than 25#. We also make sure there is clearence behind the rear tang.

We started using it because he has a bone issue and must avoid a lot of heavy recoil for sure from the bench. I was using it for a lot of load work up the 6-9 months after open heart surgery. Between the surgery and the 9 months of infection afterwards my sternum didn't heal. So no heavy recoil. If using a lead sled makes me a wimp so be it. I'm more than happy to admit to having used one. An the next time I need to shoot 100+ heavy recoil loads in an afternoon I'll probably use it again.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

here's the point where you stuck you foot in your mouth ...
Do you feel you "need" a muzzle brake on your 460, or a recoil pad on your 458s?

No, here is the point where you "need" to learn to comprehend what you read. I never said recoil reduction wasn't needed or of a benefit to the shooter. I said I don't like "lead sleds" because they have shown they can, and in fact DO, damage wooden rifle stocks. There is nothing wrong with muzzle brakes. They work, and they work well. And most important, they do so without causing any potential damage to the rifle.

I have several big bore rifles that have ineffective recoil pads installed from the factory. Many of these factory pads are constructed of very hard rubber that doesn't benefit the shooter much, if at all. The older they get, the harder they become, and the more ineffective they are. Some like the Limbsaver which I have installed on my .50 BMG rifle offer some benefit. Again it does so without endangering or causing any damage to the stock.

No one is talking about "being macho" except you. That, along with having difficulty comprehending the written word. Bill T.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Holy Crap...that is an IMPRESSIVE FRONT REST!

Are you sure that thing couldn't be used to cap off the oil well down in LA?????

Kidding aside though...I can afford a lead sled....I don't think I can justify that sucker.

For 1K the sport it was built for it works great -- look closely at the front. It is a Punisher Skull and my initals. It is a nice piece of work---thanks.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, here is the point where you "need" to learn to comprehend what you read. ...

No one is talking about "being macho" except you. That, along with having difficulty comprehending the written word. Bill T.

So, Bill, it seems i am having difficulty with this rather macho statement
quote:
It would seem to me if a person feels they "need" a Lead Sled, they would be better served with a smaller gun they could actually shoot. Bill T.

Please tell me how to "comprehend" it, as it reads to EVERYONE else, but perhaps yourself,
as a statement of your machismo.

Don't bother crawfishing on the recoil pads .. and not answering when you are cutting off YOUR muzzle brakes, as obviously your statement .. here, let me remind you what you said
quote:

would also apply to brakes.

USERS of leadsleds can break stocks .. but, like the idiotic phrase "guns kill people", its without merit to blame the leadsled for user's mistakes.

In MY case, seen repeatedly, shooting benches can ALSO "break wooden stocks" .. can and DO, due to user error .. in my case, MY error.

RTFM is fantastic advice.

btw, here's how *I* read this statement
quote:

"hi, i am an arrogant macho who looks down on anyone doing anything other than the way I do it."

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can certainly now understand how you average 8.3 posts a day here for the last 8 YEARS. If they had any substance, you'd be all set! Bill T.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can certainly now understand how you average 8.3 posts a day here for the last 8 YEARS. If they had any substance, you'd be all set! Bill T.

that's it?

rotflmo

I asked you what you meant by your post, and you reply "calculator" ..

you don't like that i take you to task over an assinine post, and you reply "calculator" .. i LOVE it .. goodness, let me wipe the tears from me eye from LAUGHING ...

animal

someone pass me a tissue..

jumping

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just think about it. Over 8 posts a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, for 8 YEARS. Son you need a life, some Sun, and some air. And that is coming from someone that thinks I spend too much time here..... Bill T.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just think about it. Over 8 posts a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, for 8 YEARS. Son you need a life, some Sun, and some air. And that is coming from someone that thinks I spend too much time here..... Bill T.

calculator!
again!!

jumping jumping

its just not quite as funny the second time.

I'll ask,. AGAIN, as you seem to be struggling to keep on point ,,,,

So, Bill, it seems i am having difficulty with this rather macho statement
quote:

Please tell me how to "comprehend" it, as it reads to EVERYONE else, but perhaps yourself,
as a statement of your machismo.

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your right, you deserve an answer. This time try to read slow........READY??????...OK, this is "what I meant":

quote:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I'll explain. If a person feels they actually "need" a lead sled, they may in fact be trying to shoot a gun they can't shoot very well without one.

Let's go over it again. If they "need" a lead sled, you know, someone like yourself, they could actually buy a smaller gun they could shoot well without one. Are you following me so far? Then they wouldn't need a lead sled to begin with......Got it???

If you're still having trouble respond, and I'll try again to help you along. You seem to have as much or more trouble reading and understanding, as you do shooting big guns. Perhaps you should stay away from both for a while. At least the shooting. The reading I can help you with. Just reply back, and I'll see what I can do. OK big guy?? Bill T.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, when you get a chance, give this a shot. Many like yourself have had really good success with it. Bill T.

http://www.hookedonphonics.com...a0gKICFRYBiQodE3PZFQ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz:
... I just bought a led sled, the new "improved" version. I haven't had time to try it out yet. ...
Surely you are kidding to stir up jeffee.

quote:
Posted by the always kind Kraky:
Hopefully Hotcores "arsehole pill" has worn off by now.
Went to get a few more and the Drug Pedler said he had sent all of them to you. Obviously so. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Surely you are kidding to stir up jeffee.

Don't encourage him. If the lad is using this time to hone his reading and comprehension skills, this is a good thing. Bill T.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sure seems we have lost the ability to say "you are full of $hit" and not take it personal.

Why does a difference of opinion have to lead to a name calling thread?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of the Sled BUT------if you want to subject your rifle and not your shoulder to the energies generated during recoil that is your call. I personally am not very recoil sensitive so I choose not to use one (there is one in our shooting tower) but others I hunt with do not compete with do use it. Accuracy is what I am about even on the big boys and shooting is a very mental sport and I feel comfortable in my program so I move forward and deal with the sore shoulder.

To suggest that just because someone who would rather use the sled rather than beating up the shoulder where they just might be flinching so bad that they would be Worse Off “accuracy wise” is rather cold IMHO. This has degraded to a petty trading of barbs however; there should be NO misunderstanding that the use of the sled is detrimental to accuracy when compared to the use of a proper system such as the one posted above.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bill,
thanks for clearing that up. I do appreciate you taking the time to say what you REALLY meant.

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a Lead Sled to get a rifle sighted in. After that there is no point since one doesn't hunt using one. End of story.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
A long history of having to tolerate insults from them eventually brings forth similar postings from me. I much prefer to be civil, but it is not possible with some.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a sled...never used one. But then again, I just personally don't have a rifle bigger than a 30-06, so I don't need one. What I don't understand, and never will, is the thought that ANY tool (what it really is) that might get someone shooting more, or having more fun doing it, is a bad thing and is subject to ridicule. I don't care whether it is a sissy bag, muzzle brake, PAST pad, Decelerator, or sled. If you want to use it, you can shoot by me any time. I have found that all of the tools have a use for somebody, even if it isn't me.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
A long history of having to tolerate insults from them eventually brings forth similar postings from me. I much prefer to be civil, but it is not possible with some.

actually, hotcore, this thread is where you decided to ride my back about leadsleds. You have been a pain in my backside for YEARS, over something you decided to make a mockery of someone properly using a tool

I tried to explain its use then, and then again here recently. YOU decided to run around, dogging my like i had a porkchop around my waist.

I tried to help you understand the purpose of the tool.. you decided to turn it into a running insultfest.

One generally gets the interaction with people that they demand. and thanks for pointing out that years of insults gets a nasty reaction.

Ya'll take care, now .. you might reread the thread before you get all nasty again.

I even asked for clarification and tried to be nice, repeatedly.

Oh well, appologes to those who would accept them.

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lead sled DFT and use it when target shooting my 375H&H and 12 gauge with sabot slugs.

It turns shooting sessions with these higher recoiling firearms into a joy.

I ware shooting glasses to protect my eyes, hearing protection on the ears and the lead sled to protect my shoulder.

I hope to still have a working shoulder joint when I'm 60.

Is the lead sled (DFT) perfect, no. I wish it was build with a higher level of precision in the elevation control.
The sloppy machining and fit of this part makes quick elevation adjustment a little fiddly you have to over correct because the parts move to a slightly different position when tightened down. It all quite do able but just a little fiddly.

I know if this part of the rest was made better I probably couldn't afford to buy it.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hotsh$t..... I much prefer to be civil, .

Now that is funny!!!!!!

jumping jumping jumping

jumping jumping jumping

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that I study that photo it seems as either:

1. Hotsh$t is lining up a "butt shot" and can't see his front site or

2. He's is pain and trying to pass gass!!!!

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
quote:

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What a beauty!!!!!! middlefinger

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What a beauty!!!!!! middlefinger

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
I just got a Lead Sled Plus and used it to pick loads for two rifles. It did a decent if not excellent job holding on-target. It also did a very good job of dampening the recoil.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote