New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caldwell lead sled?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone use this product?I want to shoot my .338 from the bench with quite a few rounds and don't want a sore shoulder.I can buy it for $99

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lead sled is fantastic. I shot all of my 458 Lott ammo the first day I had mine at the range. If you are at all recoil sensitive it makes load developement enjoyable instead of painful. I loaned mine to a buddy who had shoulder surgery and it allowed him to work up some loads for his 500 Jeffrey.
Highly Recommended......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
They should work well, but realize that with a lot of weight on them, they put MUCH additional stress on the stock. Nothing gives when the recoil comes, and the stock has to take it. There have been some anecdotal reports of stock failure on big boomers. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I use my Lead Sled when I shoot my 416 Rigby and it does allow one to totally ignore the recoil. Depending on how recoil sensitive you are this may or may not help you zero a scope or iron sights. By the way, there is a new version of the Lead Sled with some additional bells and whistles according to recent Midway ads.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the lead sled cause accuracy problems?For example,since the rifle does not recoil the same as off the bags,will accuracy be altered?
Thanks,
Jimmy

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i made my own, but there are no accuracy problems, in fact it probably enhances it. its really a simple thing to make yourself especially if'n you're cheap like me, then you can also have a rear sling fabricated so that you don't put any undue stress on the stock. Even with the factory one, if you're going to get a stock split from using the rifle in the sled, i believe you were headed for trouble anyway.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I laugh,(silently), when I see someone show up with one at the range. No pain, no gain!

If your rifle inflicts pain above what you can tolerate, then there's several things you can do. Get a good soft recoil pad installed, or do it yourself. Or get a past recoil shield that you can strap on, or do both. That's what I did, a decelerator pad on the rifle, and a past magnum pad on my shoulder. In addition a Caldwell "the rock" front tripod rest, and a Caldwell rear bag. That's with a Browning 300 WSM with heavy bullets. I never tried a .338 or a lott, so maybe I'm not one to be giving advise? Confused

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
The Lead Sled works great. I only use about 30 lbs of sand and that has been enough for everything up to 338.

grizz, The next time you see someone with one at the range - try it. It will do much more then the pads.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one that I thought was the cat's meow for controlling recoil on hard kicking rifles such as my 338RUM, but I just couldn't get the rifle to group as well shooting off of it compared to shooting off of bags or a tri-pod front rest/rear bag combo. I tried different rifles both ways and had my soon to be S-I-L try it also and neither of us could get the better accuracy using the sled. Ironically, I sold the sled to him for half the price of a new one, I guess he will mess with it some and try to figure it out but I am done with it.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one this past year. My groups did open up vertically when using it. Also, It was very hard to settle into a good position when using my scope. Seemed that it pushed the scope too far away from my eye for comfortable viewing. I ended up looking through a very small part of the field.
That said, with only 50# of weight, it did the job reducing recoil. I will defineately be using it to pattern my turkey guns!!

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would definately suggest that you shoot at least shoot a few shots from normal bags and field positions before I hunted with a gun. But if you have a lot of load developement work to do there isn't any real reason to hurt yourself any more than is necessary.
I usually shoot 300mags and 338 Win mags for a good part of the day without undue distress. But if you can shoot 50-100rds of 458 Lott off a bench in one day with nothing but the recoil pad you are simply a tougher man than I am. Why take the pain if there's no Gain?.............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
R7

The Lead Sled is great for load development with just about any caliber. However, I always check the POI w/o the sled prior using the rifle for hunting just incase there might be a shift...but never found that to be the case.

Get one, you'll love it.

WN

Fill your boots, man!

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I bought one for when I am fine tuning a new load for my .470. I don't shoot such a caliber well from a bench rest; I have no problem with it when standing. When trying to determine a load's precise accuracy, standing shots just aren't as accurate as from a bench, and that's where the Lead Sled comes in. I put a 25 pound bag of shot on the sled and the heavy caliber is then easy to shoot.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
They should work well, but realize that with a lot of weight on them, they put MUCH additional stress on the stock. Nothing gives when the recoil comes, and the stock has to take it. There have been some anecdotal reports of stock failure on big boomers. HTH, Dutch.

I shoot 550s, 500s, 470s, and 458-down on them. If one does not try to STOP the recoil (stay around 40-50# of stuff in the big ones) you won't inflict the damage that benchresting a big bore will do. if you benchrest a bigbore, and put the toe firmly on the bench, you have a chance of breaking the stock.

remember, the leadsled acts as "you" and is your agent in recoil. it HAS to move, but you don't have to take all the WHACKS!!

quote:
Originally posted by grizz:
I laugh,(silently), when I see someone show up with one at the range. No pain, no gain!

If your rifle inflicts pain above what you can tolerate, then there's several things you can do. I never tried a .338 or a lott, so maybe I'm not one to be giving advise? Confused

Yeah, kinda... if someone had to use a leadsled for a 338 and down, i would think about snickering... but, there are some rifles that are too light to be shot from the bench.

if he has a .458 or so, he's trying to make the gun as accurate as possible, and willingly making yourself have an induced flinch is, well, stupid

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I bought one for working up loads on my Lott.

Before that I could stand about 10-15 round off the bench before the groups opened up and I was getting pretty twitchy. At that rate it was taking me several trips to the range to work through just a few powder/bullet combinations.

The Sled just made it all so easy. I now use it for all my rifles. Like everyone has said, just don't load it down too much.

The new one has a windage adjustment. This addresses my main gripe and I might pick one up to try it.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I laugh,(silently), when I see someone show up with one at the range. No pain, no gain!...
Hey grizz, Gotta admit, I do that too. And I generally keep a REAL CLOSE EYE on those folks, plus ear plugs and muffs.

Which brings up a few questions, for all of you advocating the use of the Lead Sled:

1. When do you finally accustom yourself to the actual recoil? Is it after you find the SAFE MAX Load?
2. How many actual shoulder fired shots do you think it takes to become accustomed to the Large Bore's Recoil - 50, 250?
3. How much actual "time" do you believe it takes to get conditioned to shooting the Large Bores - 1hour/30 times, 30min/90times?

I know it can't be when you are finally ready to hunt with the Large Bore. And I also know it can't be just a few boxes of cartridges with a couple of trips to the range. Otherwise, it gives me the impression that the Lead Sled will induce "Fear of Shooting"(aka: Super FLINCH) in the user.

Best of luck to you folks.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hot Core
Adjusting sights and doing load dev is not training. it's taking a beating... and most of the rest of your comments I apply to 1 box every 2 year shooters... regardless of caliber

training for a big bore? well, if you aren't used to shooting one, it takes some time. probably 10 trips to the range, working up loads to standard... i have LITTLE interest in "max" loads... i shoot a 500 jeffe... MAX loads in it will make a 500a2 look like a pop gun.

building a rifle, getting the sights in, getting the load work done, and testing different loads is best done with a leadsled and/or a chrono.

I find it FUNNY that someone would think any different of a shooter using a lead sled than one using a recoil pad, a chrono, or a front rest.

I HUNT with big bores, I practice like all get out (bubba shoots are EXCELLENT big bore practice.. off hand, various distances, multipule reactive targets, and someone to load your gun with a dummy once in awhile) but it took me roughly 3 or 4 months to get used to a 500 jeffe, after that, well, all of them kick, none of them slaughter you.

your questions really can't be answered in your sequence, unless you compare a casual shooter to a benchrest shooter, with the same questions.

how much training does it take? work up loads from light to full bore, and keep all your shots in a 3" target at 50, off hand, you are ready to hunt the world.

but, here's something that bugs the CRAP out of me... guys with 300 superwhizbangs and 24X scopes, that ONLY shoot from sandbags, and when you finally get them to pick up there rifle and shoot off hand, they takes 3 mins to pull the trigger and MISS.

"fear inducing"... it's a question of experience... there's ZERO fear induced by a lead sled. It's a tool to get your gun sighted in and loads worked up.

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, kinda... if someone had to use a leadsled for a 338 and down, i would think about snickering... but, there are some rifles that are too light to be shot from the bench.

if he has a .458 or so, he's trying to make the gun as accurate as possible, and willingly making yourself have an induced flinch is, well, stupid

I would have no problem with someone using a leadsled for a boomer from .338 on up. My snickering was for a 120 pound yuppie wimp toting a 30.06 AND a lead sled to the shooting bench. The heaviest thing he was used to lifting was probably papers and a pencil!

Back a bunch of years ago, I tried to perfect a slug load using lyman foster type cast slugs. The necessary testing was beating me up pretty bad. I toted a 25# bag of shot to the range, put it between me and the 12 ga., preceeded to test without a bit of pain. So if I ever got a big bore, I would MAYBE consider a caldwell lead sled. I really like my "the rock" rest, having just bought it, after 20 years of a hoppes cast aluminum tripod. The rock demands you carry it alone, it's heavy enough not be included in an arm load of other "things".

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was considering a lead sled but my 300 win mag isn't that 'bad' to shoot even with 220gr np's.One won't feel the recoil when shooting at deer,elk,bear,etc.I just ordered a Marlin 1895 XLR in 45-70 with a 24" SS barrel I'll see how my 72 yr old frame adjusts to it and my Encore Rifle with the 20" Bullberry Barrel in SW 460 mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Grizz,

If you're into pain that's your psychosis, not ours. What exactly does one “gain†by being unnecessarily hammered by a rifle? A detached retina? Loose fillings? The same thing one “gains†by being whipped by a dominatrix?

As someone who’s had two surgeries to repair a partially detached retina, I’d rather have the lead sled absorb the recoil, except at show time when I’m aiming at a deer. If I want to practice off-hand shooting I use a .22.

I question the priorities of those who value their rifle’s stock more than they do their own body. Nevertheless, a lead sled isn’t an unmovable object; the degree to which one wants it to move is up to the user. Put as much or as little weight on it as one chooses.

But don't laugh at folks smart enough to protect themselves unless you're similarly prepared to be laughed at for you whips-and-chains lifestyle. And by the way, do you use hearing protection at the range? If so, isn't that similarly detracting from the experience? After all, it could just as legitimately be argued that "no hearing loss, no gain."

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wismon:
quote:

Grizz,

If you're into pain that's your psychosis, not ours. What exactly does one “gain†by being unnecessarily hammered by a rifle? A detached retina? Loose fillings? The same thing one “gains†by being whipped by a dominatrix?

As someone who’s had two surgeries to repair a partially detached retina, I’d rather have the lead sled absorb the recoil, except at show time when I’m aiming at a deer. If I want to practice off-hand shooting I use a .22.

I question the priorities of those who value their rifle’s stock more than they do their own body. Nevertheless, a lead sled isn’t an unmovable object; the degree to which one wants it to move is up to the user. Put as much or as little weight on it as one chooses.

But don't laugh at folks smart enough to protect themselves unless you're similarly prepared to be laughed at for you whips-and-chains lifestyle. And by the way, do you use hearing protection at the range? If so, isn't that similarly detracting from the experience? After all, it could just as legitimately be argued that "no hearing loss, no gain."

The confrontational tone of your post is noted! But it's of course ridiculous as well!

I'm no massocist,(sp?), I don't "get off" from pain. But I am a man, not a whimp. Having had eye surgery myself, I know the fear of losing one's vision. It was NOT caused by a shooting accident,(beware of bungy cords).

Asking a question like "do you wear hearing protection" is another smart comment. Who doesn't? Those that don't will loose some of their hearing.

When I first shot my 300 WSM, it was intolerable for more than 20 shots. The solid rubber pad offered no reduction in felt recoil. So the next time I went to the range, I bought a past magnum shoulder pad. It tamed the 300 to the point it was no-longer a factor. Since then I installed a decelerator pad, I don't need the past pad anymore. I don't flinch at all. Mind over matter. But I don't enjoy pain either. There's other ways to shoot comfortably, as I stated in my last post.

Anything that changes how a rifle recoils is going to change it's point of impact. It MAY change the group size and shape as well. Is the trade off of reduced recoil sensation worth the possibility that your results don't mean anything? As was stated, bench groups are nice, but, how does the rifle shoot off-hand? What if you have to shoot a game animal off-hand?

I see on some hunting shows on TV where a PH carries crossed sticks for their hunters to shoot from. A crutch or a shooting aid? Most people don't practice much off-hand shooting. They probably need that crutch.

Your faithful dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Which brings up a few questions, for all of you advocating the use of the Lead Sled:

1. When do you finally accustom yourself to the actual recoil? Is it after you find the SAFE MAX Load?
2. How many actual shoulder fired shots do you think it takes to become accustomed to the Large Bore's Recoil - 50, 250?
3. How much actual "time" do you believe it takes to get conditioned to shooting the Large Bores - 1hour/30 times, 30min/90times?

....................... Otherwise, it gives me the impression that the Lead Sled will induce "Fear of Shooting"(aka: Super FLINCH) in the user.

Best of luck to you folks.

I think you aren't really asking the right question relating to shooting with the lead sled. For me it's:

"How many shots can you enjoy shooting off the bench".

When hunting if you fire more than a shot or two something is wrong. But it's not uncommon for me to go the range and fire a couple hundred rounds. With my 458 Lott's, I don't enjoy more than a dozen or so rounds off the bench, which isn't enough to get much load work done. With the Lead Sled you can shoot as much as you want on any given day.
And frankly Macho BS aside, everyone has different levels of recoil tolerance. If someone needs to use a lead sled for his 243 so what? I don't need to make myself feel better by demeaning someone else....................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of curious as to how many scope failures have happened with a bench-rest fixture; whether it be the lead sled or some other type of immobilizing rest.

Someone mentioned that the stock could be damaged by removing all of the free recoil, but couldn't the scope be just as easily damaged? It's exposed to the same forces as the rifle and might be exposed to forces that are above and beyond the designed limits

Brand and perceived quality of scopes notwithstanding, has anyone had an unexpected scope failure while using a setup like the lead sled?

Does anyone bother to remove the scope when bench-resting? I know that sounds pretty stupid, but is it reasonable to limit the extreme stresses on a swarovski?

Maybe put a warranteed scope (LEU) on for load development and then install the normal hunting scope for practicing without the rest?

Sorry, just something that got caught between my ears.

thanks,

irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a scope is going to break I'd a lot rather find out at the shooting range than when hunting.....................DJ

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

training for a big bore? well, if you aren't used to shooting one, it takes some time. probably 10 trips to the range, working up loads to standard...

building a rifle, getting the sights in, getting the load work done, and testing different loads is best done with a leadsled and/or a chrono.

I HUNT with big bores, I practice like all get out (bubba shoots are EXCELLENT big bore practice.. off hand, various distances, multipule reactive targets, and someone to load your gun with a dummy once in awhile) but it took me roughly 3 or 4 months to get used to a 500 jeffe, after that, well, all of them kick, none of them slaughter you.

how much training does it take? work up loads from light to full bore, and keep all your shots in a 3" target at 50, off hand, you are ready to hunt the world.

but, here's something that bugs the CRAP out of me... guys with 300 superwhizbangs and 24X scopes, that ONLY shoot from sandbags, and when you finally get them to pick up there rifle and shoot off hand, they takes 3 mins to pull the trigger and MISS.

"fear inducing"... it's a question of experience... there's ZERO fear induced by a lead sled. It's a tool to get your gun sighted in and loads worked up.

jeffe

Interesting points all, Jeffe. In fact this whole thread has been rather interesting. A lot of valid points made on both sides.

I particularly agree with your last comment, about the folks who never shoot offhand, except when wounding a deer (or six). Of course, there are lots of shooters who are NOT hunters, and for them that is perfectly okay. In fact, for them, better bench technique is possibly developed by not wasting time shooting without the bench. In the long run, I think it is probably "rounds down-range" with the equipment and position you use the rifle for, which count the most. Presumably all are enjoyable or one wouldn't be shooting that way.

For my own self, I have made the circuit...hunter, soldier, LEO, then guide, then prone high-power competition, then benchrest, now back to off-hand shooting only.

For me the lead sled is not useful because:

1. In my bigbores, I don't CARE what the most accurate load is. What I want is a load that is SUFFICIENTLY accurate for its intended purpose. Nor do I care how fast the bullet is going, once it hits a certain minimum "floor" level for the work at hand. That's why I prefer a .450 Nitro to a 460 Weatherby. The Nitro moves a heavy enough bullet fast enough, so why put up with the relative discomfort of the Weatherby? (So, I sold my .475 A&M too).

2. As my big boomers will NEVER be benchrest guns, once I have a sufficient load, which usually takes almost no work to find, I don't shoot them from the bench. That's not what they are in my possession for.

3. The lead sled CAN lead to flinching, depending on why one uses it to start with. I.e., if one uses the lead sled to avoid EVER feeling the full recoil of his rifle and loads, he MAY build up bit of subconscious dread of what the recoil may be like when he fires the rifle without the sled. He also won't be learning how to relax and flow with the recoil from a field position, how to hold the pistol grip to keep his hand from getting smacked, etc. At that point, his first few shots with the full-power loads he has so carefully "developed" using the sled MAY very well cause enough discomfort to teach his subconscious a very pronounced escape mechanism we all call "flinching".

I guess in sum, then, I'd hav'ta conclude that sleds can be useful, in limited circumstances and applications, IF really needed. BUT, if used as crutches in instances where NOT really needed, they can actually harm a shooter/rifle system's performance.

Does that sound like a fair bottom-line assessment?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's something that bugs the CRAP out of me... guys with 300 superwhizbangs and 24X scopes, that ONLY shoot from sandbags, and when you finally get them to pick up there rifle and shoot off hand, they takes 3 mins to pull the trigger and MISS.

That is the truth! Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch: They put MUCH additional stress on the stock. Nothing gives when the recoil comes, and the stock has to take it.

This is the main reason I don't use one. I prefer the round, cylinder type, leather sissy bag by Protektor, (thats the way they spell it), filled with fine sand. It helps both the shooter and the gun. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm kind of curious as to how many scope failures have happened with a bench-rest fixture; whether it be the lead sled or some other type of immobilizing rest.

Someone mentioned that the stock could be damaged by removing all of the free recoil, but couldn't the scope be just as easily damaged? It's exposed to the same forces as the rifle and might be exposed to forces that are above and beyond the designed limits

Brand and perceived quality of scopes notwithstanding, has anyone had an unexpected scope failure while using a setup like the lead sled?

Does anyone bother to remove the scope when bench-resting? I know that sounds pretty stupid, but is it reasonable to limit the extreme stresses on a swarovski?

Maybe put a warranteed scope (LEU) on for load development and then install the normal hunting scope for practicing without the rest?

Sorry, just something that got caught between my ears.

thanks,

irwin

There is no such thing as 'too much syrup' on pancakes.

The destructive force on a scope is caused by the sudden and violent movement of the gun, which then tries to "yank" the scope along with it... Slow down the recoil and your scope will live longer and happier!

Conversely, the destructive force in a stock is reduced by allowing free movement of the gun because it is stuck between a "rock and a hard place"... Allow your gun to roll with the recoil and the compressive forces in the stock will be reduced.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeff, Nice response. Interesting that you are the only person in the thread able to come up with any answers to those simple questions.

It did surprise me to see a member of the "Band of Bubbas" using a Lead Sled though. Just creates a different(funny) visual image for me of how you all go about firing the BIG Bores.
---

Hey DJ, I had no idea it took that many shots to Develop Loads for a BIG Bore.

1. What kind of accuracy requirement do you have?
2. What is the MAX distance you plan to fire your BIG Bore?
---

Hey AC, It looks like that once again you and I are in close agreement.
---

To show you all that I'm now "all for" you all using those Lead Sleds, I've found something that will help you with them.

Flipped through the 2006 Cabela's Shooting/Reloading catalog and on page 48 is a device I feel sure most of you will want. It is a Power Aisle Remote Hydraulic Trigger Release, Item # XT- 22-6084 for $19.99. The description says, "blah...allows you to release the trigger from more than 3 feet away."

Looks like a simple small hose running from the Plunger to the Trigger Pusher. So the hose could probably be extended w-a-y out there if it would help you all with "Load Development".

(Laughter withheld so as not to offend anyone's delicate feelings. Big Grin)

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made my own for one reason. To test BPCR loads at long range. It is nice to dial the crosshairs into the bullseye. Mine recoils with the rifle and I can hold it very still and snug. I do have to reposition it after each shot. A few small sandbags on the legs does help to keep it from coming back too far.
Recoil does not bother me so that was not the purpose.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I happened to surf accross the American Rifleman NRA TV show last night. They had a segment on the venerable 870 remington, all it's various models and uses. One was concerning their slug gun, the host was using a lead sled to fire some slug loads.

He wasn't too specific what exact load it was, but he fired a string of 3-4 shots at a target in an inside range. We never got to see the target, as for what kind of group, but the lead sled hardly moved from the recoil of the slug loads! It looked to have 2 bags of shot in the "tray".

Caldwell was one of the sponsors of that 1/2 hour show, I bet they sold a few of them that day! It would have helped to know what the ammo was, and to see the group, but I'm aware of the time constraints on a half-hour show.

Your faithful dog

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Jeff, Nice response. Interesting that you are the only person in the thread able to come up with any answers to those simple questions.

It did surprise me to see a member of the "Band of Bubbas" using a Lead Sled though. Just creates a different(funny) visual image for me of how you all go about firing the BIG Bores.
---

HC,
are you inferring that we shoot big bores from a leadsled once they are sighted in or in testing loads? I can't "hear" the inflection in the note, so I am asking. pull down my avatar image and have a look... that's a fireball from a 550

do you use a scope, when you "should" be using irons? or do you use sights when you "should" be aiming down the barrel? Use the right tool, for the right job, and get the gun sighted in or chrono your loads.. then PICK IT UP.

should you like to shoot my 550 off the bench, feel free to come on down.. i'll supply the gun, the ammo, and the tylenol

quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
I guess in sum, then, I'd hav'ta conclude that sleds can be useful, in limited circumstances and applications, IF really needed. BUT, if used as crutches in instances where NOT really needed, they can actually harm a shooter/rifle system's performance.

Does that sound like a fair bottom-line assessment?

perfectly, an in total agreement with me!

here's a funny...
saw a show the other night with an OBESE guy, a lefty, shooting a 1903a4 off a leadsled, after stating how "powerful" the recoil of a 30-06 was.

i think that until you get into 60# or recoil, you can do most of your work... but I also think that shooting a gun off the bench makes FELT recoil worse, which DOES inducing flinching...

here's group from my 416AR, with the rifle sitting on sandbags... while a mild kicking rifle, it is UNPLEASANT to shoot off bags...

most people can't do this type of shooting with a 308... i expect the group would have been BETTER with a leadsled, but, well, a 416 don't kick enough to bother.

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
HC,
are you inferring that we shoot big bores from a leadsled once they are sighted in or in testing loads?

quote:
do you use a scope, when you "should" be using irons? or do you use sights when you "should" be aiming down the barrel? Use the right tool, for the right job, and get the gun sighted in or chrono your loads.. then PICK IT UP.
Well, I just had a "rousing answer" whammed in and my thumb hit the touch pad and it is gone. Maybe I can do it again later, but I will say the "mental image" I have is FUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNY!!!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sorry, still not clear. You do understand shooting 100#+ recoiling rifles FROM THE BENCH is physically damaging, right? And having a accurately sighted in rifle is important...

say, have you ever shot anything bigger than, say, a lott? if not, we may not have a point of reference for you to understand exactly WHY you use one to get your rifle turned in.

I am assuming good intent here, but you are welcome to become a practicing big bore SHOOTER, where 30-50 rounds of DGRs are shot in an afternoon.... no leadsled, sir... pick it up and take your beating Smiler

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I was going to make the same suggestion. HC can come out to my range and shot my Lott. 100 rnds, tee shirt, off the bench in less than 3 hours. I have a nice crisp $100 bill for him at the end of the session. I'll even drive him to the orthopedist or opthamologist after. His choice.

-Steve

P.S. I'll even let him use my sissy pad.

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
BTW. I only use the LS when sighting in and working up loads. For practice its everything excpet the bench. Prone hurts.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to get this in again and see if I can do it WITHOUT Deleating it! Mad

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff:
HC,
are you inferring that we shoot big bores from a leadsled once they are sighted in or in testing loads?
From what I've read above, it sounds like you all are using the Lead Sleds while Developing Loads.

That is Totally Different from the hillarious mental images I now have of the "Band of Bubbas" using their firearms though. In fact, the more I think about it, the more Mental Images pop up and to me they are all FUNNY!!!

Here are a couple of MIs(Mental Images):
1. The Band of Bubbas get together for a joint firing session(notice in these MIs the term "shooting" just doesn't seem to fit). The pre-firing Bubba discussions go something like this,
Bubba7 asks, "What Load have you Developed for your 750H&H, Bubba4?"
Bubba4 replies, "Well Bubba7, I use 51.234 pounds of Lead, Seated 11.66" from the barrel and the trigger is lightly adjusted to a 22.6 foot Release Hose!"
Bubba7, "What a whimpy Load, I use 53.98 pounds of Lead and Seated it 10.603" from the barrel. Of course we both use the same length Release Hose."

2. While "Checking-In" at the Airport the Ticket Agent asks, "Hey Bubba,what do you have in that wierd shaped rifle box?"
Bubba, "That is my 750H&H."
TA, "Oh yeah? Let me open this thing up and look at it. Good gosh Bubba, what do you have in this thing - a Lead Sled and sacks of Lead still attached to the rifle?"
Bubba, "Of course I do, don't you know nuthin `bout huntin BIG Game???"
TA, "That will be an additional $345.99 for the excess weight!"

3. While enjoying some Sundowners the PH asks, "Hey Bubba, it seems like you weren't too accurate today."
Bubba, "Well, the Trackers are to blame, especially Jugabuggers."
PH, "What do you mean, he is one of my BEST Trackers and can find Game for ANYONE who can't find it for themselves."
Bubba, "No, he found all kinds of Game I couldn't see. The problem was he kept wiggling."
PH, "What do you mean wiggling???!!??!!?"
Bubba, "I got the Lead Sled with the 750H&H up on his back, but he wouldn't hold still long enough for me to back off the 22.6 feet to the Release Trigger!"

quote:
...do you use a scope, when you "should" be using irons? or do you use sights when you "should" be aiming down the barrel? Use the right tool, for the right job, and get the gun sighted in or chrono your loads.. then PICK IT UP.
I do use a Scope for probably 99.5% of my shooting/hunting. But, the last firearm I swapped for was an Iron Sighted 444Mar. I do want to use it for things I hunt - up close.

I don't "Shoot Chronographs" anymore. I determined a l-o-n-g time ago that was a complete waste of time and effort. Did see a post the other day where a chronograph was put to good use though. A guy shot a 243WSSM and a regular 243Win over one on the same day - 50fps difference between the two. Kept the guy from going out and buying a new 243WSSM when his old 243Win was doing just fine.
---

I do appreciate "all the invites" to come shoot(instead of fire) the BIG Bores. I'll have to take a Rain Check on it though. If I ever get a Lobotomy though, I'll look you all up. rotflmo

The current firearms I have with any appreciable Free Recoil don't compare in any way at all to the cannons you all are firing(from the Lead Sleds Big Grin).

Lets see now, I have a 21" barrel 3"-12ga M870SPS and it weighs 7.5 pounds. And a 20" 350RemMag M7KS that weighs in at 5.25 pounds wearing it's Iron Sights. Heck, I may not even use half the Powder or Bullet Weight you guys are firing. They are the heaviest Free Recoil firearms that I currently own.

But, I actually "shoot" them. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The confrontational tone of your post is noted!...Asking a question like "do you wear hearing protection" is another smart comment.

No shit, Sherlock; you must be a genious!

But the first person to make a confrontational post on this thread was...you with your comment about laughing at others.

You laugh at those smart enough to protect themselves and I laugh at those who aren't. How is that unfair? What's the problem?

quote:
Having had eye surgery myself, I know the fear of losing one's vision. It was NOT caused by a shooting accident...

But the next one might be! Good grief, dude, let me get this straight: you've had eye surgery yet you laugh at those who take measures to protect their vision????!!!!

The retina of your eyeballs cares not one whit for how much you thump your chest and act like a he-man macho gorilla, as Ted Nugent once put it (on a different issue). Being tough and having enough sense to protect yourself are not mutually exclusive traits.

Someone needs to give you a dose of tough love, put a boot in your ass, and tell you to quit risking your eyesight, as that is exactly what you are doing. I presume a repaired retina detaches all the more easily, as repaired things usually do.

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I ever get a Lobotomy though, I'll look you all up. rotflmo

Another one??????????..........................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the next one might be! Good grief, dude, let me get this straight: you've had eye surgery yet you laugh at those who take measures to protect their vision????!!!!

The retina of your eyeballs cares not one whit for how much you thump your chest and act like a he-man macho gorilla, as Ted Nugent once put it (on a different issue). Being tough and having enough sense to protect yourself are not mutually exclusive traits.

Well apparently I have to be more specific. Since you're apparently too dense to understand. The bungee cord was holding the trunk of my firebird down so the baby carrage could be inside it. It came unwrapped from the trailer hitch, hitting me in my glasses with the steel hook, breaking them and sending a piece of glass into my cornea. I had surgery the next day to remove the glass and stitch the cornea closed. It was six weeks of agony until the last stitch was removed. That was 23 years ago, I still have blurred vision in the left eye, the scar is dead center in the cornea.

If I thought there was a remote chance I could suffer a detached retina, I would take measures to reduce recoil further. The 300 WSM is the biggest bore, most recoil rifle I own. I'm never going to Africa, those dangerous game animals are safe from me. There's no grizz in WI, so they are also safe. If you go looking for trouble, you're apt to find some!

I'm sorry you've had a partially detached retina. I hear the surgery is extreme. If I were you I too would use the lead sled. I have no use for it though, to each his own.

Your faithful dog