New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4350 in a 458wm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody ever use imr or h4350 in 458wm. I did a little searching on the net and didn't see much.

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
No.

IMO, IMR-4350 is just too slow for a 458WM.
Think you should look to something faster than IMR-4064 to slower than IMR-3031. Even that encompasses a lot of powders.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kinda figured since I couldn't really find much info on it. I was just wondering because I have a couple pounds at the house.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
way way way too slow ... h335, rel7, littlegun are your friends here

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38569 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. What powers best for a full house load with 480gr or 500gr bullets?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go online to Hodgdon...http://www.hodgdon.com/...it has lots of good loads for the 458 WM.

I ran some of Hornadys 500 DGX/DGS loads through Quickload but some of the numbers just didn't seem anywhere near being safe...The A2230 load showed in excess of 98KPSI, so be careful.

I don't know what is going on...either Quickload took a shick or Hornady is way the heck off.(not likely)

You need to pick a specific bullet first as bullets have different characteristics and will give different velo's and pressures with different powders.

WW748, Varget, Benchmark, 8208, AA2230 and AA2460, and RL10X are also good ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
98k psi.... shocker

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe21:
Thanks for the info. What powers best for a full house load with 480gr or 500gr bullets?

You will be hard-pressed to find a better powder for the .458 WM than A-2230. It has been tested in pressure barrels by Michael458 from AR as well NF Mike (Mike Brady the originator of NF bullets).

IMR 8208 may be just as good...but I have not confirmed that for myself yet.

X-Terminator (maybe exact same as A-2230), TAC, are other powders to try.

H-4895 can be good with conventional bullets too.

Benchmark also has potential.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36817 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tested AA2460 and AA2230 in two of my 458 Americans, a Marlin and a SMLE 2a Ishapore conversion with 458 WM chambers and cases trimmed to fit a 435 TS bullet seated in the crimp groove ,2.65" length to work through the lever action and 3.05" fit the 308 10 shot mag, and also 300 and 400 jacketed and 500 gr cast...keeping below 42Kpsi.

AA2460 always produced slightly higher velos but required a tad more powder...I contacted Accurate Arms and they said that sounded right as AA2460 was about 5% slower...case life was also a bit longer...I tested two cases with each powder and a box of 300 gr Sierra's until they went belly up and the AA2460 went 3-4 more reloads before case head separation was imminent.

I use different length cases in each rifle but Varget and AA2460 are the powders I use for the 300-450 gr jacketed and cast and Varget for the 500 plus cast.

I haven't tried any 8208 or benchmark in this caliber but the data kooks very good...I user both of those powders in several other calibers. Benchmark and H322 are the goto powders in my 450 Marlin and should also do well in the 458 Am and 458 WM

I also load full length 458WM cases with 500 gr jacketed and cast, single load, as the chambered round in the SMLE, with 6 of the slightly shorter 458 Am rounds in the mag.

The 458 WM load is NOT loaded to the higher Mag pressures, but if you study the "standard" 458 Mag loads you will find the one I DO use and it is well within the pressure constraints of the 2A receiver.(HINT--look at the 400 and 500 gr Varget beginning loads)

Studying pressure/powder/bullet weight tables with an eye to stay within the constraints of your rifles RECEIVER is a good way to find excellent reloads at the highest velo for a given powder and bullet.

Really the only way to know for sure is to test a few combinations in YOUR rifle and see which one it likes.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:
Do you think the 450gr .500 NF FPS would give similar results?

Jim, I am very impressed with the 450 gr .500 caliber North Fork FPS.... This is the new nose profile
Solid, and I believe it will give similar results.

Off the range for today.... Good results with 450 #13 Solid and AA 2230.... I am on the fly, data has not been entered yet, and will try to get that later this afternoon. I can tell you 77 grs 2311 fps and 59000 PSI....... Which is very good... I will next carry this to the 420 #13 HP at probably 78/AA 2230, and then to the 450 North Forks. Now, when you get to the North Forks, you gotta cut that load down a few grs as they run a tad more pressure, mostly because I seat them deeper than the #13s and pressure runs up a bit, normally 2-3 grs less. I will probably start the 450 North Forks off with 74/AA 2230 and see how that works in......

The AA 2230 equals velocity basically with the IMR 8208.... But IMR 8208 is running I think about 60000 PSI< and the AA 2230 59000 PSI, so a tad less pressure on average it seems. Both of these are the only ones so far to top over 2300 fps and stay under pressure with the #13s...........

Just a tid bit of info..... Hopefully will tune in a little bit later...... I got an incredible safari report today from one of my B&M guys, a 458 B&M guy returned from Tanzania about a week ago. He used the same combination of bullets I did in July with my 458 B&M. 250 Socom for plains game, 450/420 #13s for the big stuff, and his success was 110%....... I hope that he will post a report for us at least on the terminal thread, but I am going to leave that up to him. He is an incredibly great fellow and I think the world of him........ But I must leave the report to him........... But rest assured any doubters out there, you can do ANYTHING you ever need or desire to do with these bullets that we are working with right now....... ANd then some...........

M

The above was taken from this thread. A good read if you reload the .458 WM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36817 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I just spent a week in Anchorage,, searched for powder every day.

I bought 2lbs of Accurate 2495 thinking this would work in my 458,has anyone here used it??

I know it can be used in my 308 if not.

Thanks in advance!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used it in my 50-90 Sharps with 475, 525 and 590 gr cast bullets.

It's burn rate falls between RL12 and IMR 4064.

Quick load shows 450 gr Swift A-Frame SS, 68.02 gr, 100% density, 2208 fs/51546 psi at 3.34" OAL.

I've tried it in my 50 cal Rigby wildcat with cast 660 gr... does OK at 2225 fs plus.

Works just OK in my 45-120 with 720 gr cast...but other powders work better, also 45-90, 100, 110 depending on bullet, pressure limits, etc.

Again, it's one of those powders that might work well depending on caliber case, bullet, OAL, etc. Just have to try it and see.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Thanks,,Non

I'll try 65grs and go from there.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best to "Start low and work up slow".

Each reloading manual is rifle/bullet/powder lot specific and you've been around long enough to know how much trouble you can get into by going the other way. Can't seem to get that fact across.

Way back in the day I had the first and only Oehler 33 chrono in a hundred mile radius. I quit bringing it to the weekend shoots because of all the hoorahs that got started over the resulting velo numbers.

NOBODY likes to see the REAL numbers from their favorite 24" 264 Win Maggy that's getting whipped by a 26" 6.5 Rem Ma and even WORSE when a competitors 26" 6.5 Gibbs or 6.5-06 is running by them...something like the roadrunner and the coyote in the cartoon.

Quickload is a very excellent interior ballistics program but it suffers from the same sort of human 'garbage in/garbage out". I trust it insofar as I can corroborate the data with at least two other reference sources or my own testing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys beer

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe21:

I'll echo some of the same above - For "full power" loads:

My 458WM likes H4895 with the 400 grain bullets
A2230 for the 450 to 500 grain bullets.

PS: A power funnel drop tube is also very helpful when reloading for the 458WM.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote