Find
Notify
Tools

Mixin' powders...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
Well it looks like your committed to doing this.

Not the best idea.

But if you just gotta.
Make sure that the load is at minimum a 100% case volume to help prevent any seperation of powders.

Rocky Gibbs did some experimenting with duplex loads but he never mixed them. And he also used a "Front Ignition" of the powder column with the slow powder on top (ignited first) and fast powder on bottom ignited last). And even Rocky gave up this foolish idea. So did I.

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
quote:
Well at first I though HB was a troll and shining you all on. Now I see he is drunk, high, or is suffering from a severe case of depression and has suicidal tendencies.

Wrong on all counts, Go. I am interested. I have always been a tinkerer. As a kid, I took things apart only to have my dad lay the back of his hand across my face when I couldn't put his lawnmower back together. Firearms fascinate me. Reloading fascinates me.

I have thoroughly mixed the powders and loaded up 20 rounds in mil-surp and factory, in 5% and 10% concentrations. I think everything will be alright because Steve's Pages lists 26.5 to 28.5 grains of genuine H380 for the 55-grain bullet. I am loading mine to only 23 grains. If I loaded the H380 to the middle value of 27.5 grains, my load is 16.4% lower than that-- considerably under the customary 10% you always load down to when you start developing a load. I hardly think the small dilution of pistol powder will cause my gun to blow up in my face. I am appreciative of your concern. Never let it be said that I am not. What I seek is to use this ersatz H380 as .223 powder. I know 27.5 grains of it does not burn in a short barrel. I am hoping my reduced load with its pistol powder "kicker" will burn all the powder and I can use the alleged H380 as plinkin' powder. I have a jug of H322, a small amount of AA2230 left and a bit of a one-pound jug of BL-C(2). Then I have this nearly full jug of H380. I have about 6,000 cases, damned near most of them primed and ready for the bullet. I can't see not using this powder. I do use it as powder for foulers in my big gun, but I hardly ever shoot that thing. So it's just setting there, unused. Look, gasoline has 10% ethanol in it. You hardly notice it, right? I don't. It's gonna be interesting. If I come back in one piece, I'll give you a full report. If it doesn't dimple the cases, I think I have found a use for the powder. Wish me luck...
still got all your fingers? did you chronograph them ?

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"if Man did not dare to dream and then act on those dreams, we'd still be sittin' in caves an' worryin' about the ainmals comin' to eat us..."

Not quite the same sort of thing fellow, even if you use 'light loads' and survive.

Has it not occured to you that IF such blending of powders offered any advantage the powder companies would be doing so and marketing it? Or do you seriously think you can prove something about powders they don't know? That's not dreaming, that's delusional.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
I appreciate all of the comments and admonishments. But I think just 5 or 10 percent is a pretty small amount compared to the rest of the charge. If the five percenters in the military show signs, I'll not do the ten percenters or any of the commercial. I have to try. Why do men climb mountains, you know?

Wow, Darwin project waiting to happen. While it has & will be done w/ success, w/o pressure equip. you have absolutely no idea what kind of pressure spike you could be generating by mixing powders. Just not worth the risk IMO, but then again, I am not a darwin project either. Roll Eyes There are so many powders available to the reloader here that mixing powders to adjust a burn rate is just foolish. Then again, so is loading a whole bunch of rounds w/o verifying they will work in your gun. Back to basics ny newb friend.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't get it! Why would you buy a huge jug of WC852 to load in .223 Rem? bewildered

WC852 is H414 and is totally unsuited for the .223 Rem. It was used to load military .30 Cal. AP M2 cartridges.

If it were me, I'd sell it or trade it to somebody who loads .30-06 or some other cartridge that would work with this powder.

PS - The military hasn't used WC852 for a LONG TIME. I would guess that stuff is about 40 years old. Eeker

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Too later it's contaminated.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The exercise was a total bust. The 23.0 grains of mixed powder was so weak that the second round would not strip from the magazine with either the 5% or 10% concentrations. The first round would eject, but apparently the bolt would not go back far enough to pick up the second round. And there was ample evidence of dimpling on the cases from unburned powder. I didn't even bother to fire the commercial cases...

In reading all the gloom-and-doom, "you'll shoot your eye out" posts above, I have to say I'm surprised with you gentlemen. I know the risks of mixing powders. I thought about what would happen if I put too much pistol powder in with the rifle powder. So I accounted for that. Looks like I accounted quite well, huh? What was I trying to prove? Do I think I know something the powder companies don't? I'm a Darwin project? Really, now-- give me a break. I pretty much knew the pressure would be tolerable. After all, when the manufacturers design a gun, they pressure-test the breech lock-up system and barrel at usually twice (or at least 50% more) the expected pressure from a properly-loaded round. There I am using a small load of a slow powder. I'm gonna blow the whole range off the map? Really...

Will I try mixing up another batch? No, it's too much trouble. I'd have to try 15%, 20% and on up. Just takes too much time...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Will I try mixing up another batch? No, it's too much trouble. I'd have to try 15%, 20% and on up. Just takes too much time...

Oh, please do it! Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Natural Selection is ALWAYS at work... Sometimes ya just have to get out of the way..

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of people who permanantly trash their liver by taking Tylenol and drink alcohol. A few Tylenol won't hurt you. Drinking several beers won't hurt you. But mixing them together is asking for trouble.

The same logic applies to mixing powders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have compromised your credibility. Really.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have compromised your credibility. Really.

If you are referring to me, I disagree. I related the whole affair from inception to result. Everything put here is the truth. I wanted to see if a small mix of fast-burning pistol powder would help a normal charge of slow-burning rifle powder complete its combustion, and thus allow me to use the powder in my rifle when before I found I could not. Empirical trials indicated my theory was either flawed or not enough explored. The experiment was stopped because evidence indicated that further exploration would most likely not yield the desired results. No one was hurt, no one came even close to being hurt and no equipment was damaged.

In school, I had a class that required me to devise an empirical trial and make a prediction as to what I thought I would see. The above experiment would qualify as one of the better ones had I done it way back when...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will I try mixing up another batch? No, it's too much trouble. I'd have to try 15%, 20% and on up. Just takes too much time beer...

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

The ammo with the proper powder in it, yes...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Mixing powders was commonplace in the reloading of large bore rifle cases where the selection of appropriate powders was not available. What is more the recipes and methods were actually supplied by the ballisticians who worked for the powder manufacturer.

Alf, i UTTERLY disagree with you .. this is an unsafe act, and it INFERS by the word "commonplace" that "anyone" can do it, in that sentence.

Gentlemen and Ladies - MIXING POWDERS IS UNSAFE

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
I would be wary of a pistol flake type powder but not similar powders and for two reasons. One it should be fine in theory and I have done it in practice.

Thde first thing to consider is that with perfect ignition all the granules of powder are ignites at the same time. It is the individual granule that controls the burning rate. The same situation exists with solid fuel booster rockets. the who grain of powder is ignited.

In actual fact a load of 4350 or whatever is a mixed load since no two granules are the same.

If you made a load that was 50/50 of 4064 and 4350 you would get a burn rate (or gas release rate) that would be like a powder that sat between 4064 and 4350.

The ignition of the powder in the cartridge or a solid fuel rocket is not like the ignition and burn of petrol or alcohol in an engine. in that case the flame propogates through the mixture and the last thing you want is for it to all ignite at once.

The major practical problem with mixing powders like 3031 and 4831 is maintaining a common mix. If the proportion of 3031 is too high an overload will occur and if the proportion of 4831 is too high then pressure will be too low.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
pistol flake-type powder

AA #5 is small ball. I liked that fact. I knew I'd get a good mixture because of it. The problem I found with even 23.0 grains of the H380 mix was that even that small amount would not completely burn. No need to try any larger concentration, so the experiment was halted. Cost was a red hair above pocket change and only I was on the non-existent payroll. Now, had the government been involved, $2,786,349 would have been spent and 312 jobs saved or created...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanna see your fake Diploma in fakeing powder mixing from Columbia University and who payd for your fake diploma?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... let's see... if I mix 71.4% of Reloder 50 with 28.6% of Bullseye, this should theoretically give me Reloder 357 which should hit the bullseye every time! I'm gonna try it right now!

Services will be held on Friday.

Posts: 39 | Location: Lynden, Washington | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't fix stupid..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso, duplex loads were common and at one time almost everyone did it. Modern powders have made them needless. Since the "experiment" failed I'd trade the powder to someone who can use it.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wanna see your fake Diploma in fakeing powder mixing from Columbia University and who payd for your fake diploma?

My academic record from Columbia is a state secret. Info as to who paid for it is locked away in the governor's office in Hawaii. I did my graduate work in mixin' powders at Harvard, where I was editor of the Harvard Powder Mixin' Review. I did lots of work in that position but it seems there was an earthquake and a fire, and all my work was lost. Later, I found myself runnin' for state powder mixer in Illinois, but my competition was tough. So I found a way to get them bumped off the ballot for not putting the cap back on the bottle or having two powders open at one time. I'm not going to go on-- you get the idea...

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
BOOM homer You're having too much fun , Homebrewer! digginroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're having too much fun , Homebrewer!

"Yes, I am!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a jug of H322. Would that make a good powder for plinkin' with my carbine? I'd be using both 55-grain and 62-grain bullets in either mil-surp or commercial cases. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Mixing powders was commonplace in the reloading of large bore rifle cases where the selection of appropriate powders was not available. What is more the recipes and methods were actually supplied by the ballisticians who worked for the powder manufacturer.

Alf, i UTTERLY disagree with you .. this is an unsafe act, and it INFERS by the word "commonplace" that "anyone" can do it, in that sentence.

Gentlemen and Ladies - MIXING POWDERS IS UNSAFE

In RSA, it actually was quite common place as they had pretty limited powder reosurces. Often though it was mixing a slow & faster RIFLE powder. Mixing pistol powders w/ rifle powders is just a wee bit stupid IMO. Yes Darwinian. Hoepfully you don't lose a gun ro eye or hand. Better you than me my friend. I don't need to run my car into a wall to know a car crash is a bd thing. Roll Eyes

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully you don't lose a gun or eye or hand.

The test was a unmitigated flop. I used every last penny of the $8.7 million I got from the gummint for the test. No further experimenting is in the offing. But I did save or create 148 make-work government jobs...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HomeBrewer Don't Do It !!!. Others have already stated the reasons .

I'd like to ask this gentleman what price is a Golf Ball really worth ?.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone had shot that reptile or made a belt out of him long ago, the guy would still have his arm. Just make sure the powder used is the right one for the cartridge...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is obvious that many posters on this forum were not physicist at the Manhatten Project nor are employed by NASA. It is also obvious that no one on this forum is/was or would want to be a military test pilot except for Homebrewer.

Go for it Homebrewer. But could you employ a P.I. lawyer to do the test firing for you?

Also Homebrewer, would it be safe to assume that if we don't see anymore post from you that one of you experiments went bad???

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, homebrewer, would it be safe to assume that if we don't see anymore posts from you that one of you experiments went bad???

I'm all done experimenting with the alleged H380. I said that a few posts up. Now I'm asking if using H322-- and just H322-- is a good plinkin' powder in a .223Rem with 11.5 inches of true barrel. That 5.5 inches of flash suppressor (which really doesn't work all that well) stuck on there don't push the bullet worth a damn...

And yes, would I ever have liked to have been a test pilot for the military. Imagine getting to fly the F-15, F-22, F-117 or B-2 on Uncle's nickle? That would have to be the ultimate job next to being an Administrator on a Dubai-based website about guns and stuff...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Also, homebrewer, would it be safe to assume that if we don't see anymore posts from you that one of you experiments went bad???

I'm all done experimenting with the alleged H380. I said that a few posts up..

H-brewer, people like you and I are never through experimenting! You more than I.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Just read this today, I was impressed by the the clarity of vision enabling the powders to be mixed thoroughly, by their appearance alone. rotflmo

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just read this today, I was impressed by the the clarity of vision enabling the powders to be mixed thoroughly, by their appearance alone.

OK, let me tell you how I did it. The alleged H380 is a small, fairly black ball powder. The AA #5 is a small, fairly black ball powder. Each powder (95% H380 and 5% AA #5) was put into a dry, plastic, 8-ounce drink bottle and shaken until they looked to be homogeneous-- maybe 30 seconds. Considering the powders are visually identical, I shook 'em some more. Yes, indeed-- there was a whole lot o' shakin' goin' on. I guess it would be like shaking 5% salt and 95% sugar together. I suspect you'd get a pretty good mix, eh? Would you be able to taste the salt? If so, you got smarter taste buds than me. Take that same concept and apply it to what I did. If the gun can detect the 5% AA #5, it has a more educated palate for one gunpowder hidden within another than I do...

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Latham:
Big Grin

Try it sometime...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you do wrap both hands in duct tape and blindfold your eyes. Then try to walk around and get used to listening to the radio. Try to cook a meal and then try to eat it.

If thats the life you want go ahead and mix the powders.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting approach, the shaking of salt and sugar, but in gunpowder we are talking about a combination of substances/compounds which when ignited produce heat and rapid expanding gasses.
Could also include metal fragments,sharp, jagged edges which can produce injury or even death. Risk of injury in the salt/sugar exercise very low I would think, but very high risk of injury when using gunpowder which you plan on igniting. Seriously, there is no advantage, only disadvantage to mix any gunpowders anytime, anywhere, period!

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote