Notify
Tools

I'm sick of loose bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Max,
Did you screw the sizing die down until it was hitting the shell holder after that did you turn the die a 1/4 turn so you have a little bump? Also have you thought about buying another set of dies. I have some RCBS 257 Roberts dies and some 257 Roberts brass they have been sized already if you want them, free of charge let me know. PM your address to me and I will try to get them sent off this week.

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
O.K. I am a newbie so i this is just for what it is worth. Does the depriming pin adjustment look like it is too far out to anyone else? Might be bottoming out in the case and not allowing for resizing? just a thought from the fuzzy pics. please dont bash me if I am wrong, i am just trying to help.Maybe one of the resident experts can take a look and answer that for ya.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many of you have requested that Max let us know what type of die he is using, neck or full length. I can't find a reply from Max that answers this very basic question. If it is here somewhere I missed it. Maybe I can help answer it.

Look at Max's photo of the press with the sizing die installed. The Die has a theaded stem coming out of the top. This is Lee Full Length Sizing Die. Below is a photo of the Lee Neck sizing Collet Die, notice the diff.

Seems to me that the FL Die is out of adjustment. I have a few Lee Die sets and the instructions seem pretty clear to me. Max, If I were you I would find the instuctions that came with the press and dies and see if there isn't some info on FL Die adjustment. My dies came with these instuctions.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, in the pic the die is the full length resizer.
If that is what he's using then the expander is too big or the die body isn't squeezing the neck enough.

Max, if you want to try the collet neck sizing die then you've got to put a whole lot of pressure on the press arm. You don't get good tension unless you can see faint marks from the collet on the neck.
I have a collet die for my 308 and I had to take off 0.001" of the stem to get good neck tension.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a problem with a Lee FL size die once in .270 win. I made some measurements and contacted Lee. They sent me a new decapping spindle and said throw the other away. Been working great for about 10 years now.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If you are lubing the inside of the neck, make sure you clean the cases after sizing to get all the lube off. You shouldn't be putting any lube on a neck size only (collet die) anyway. either way, get all the lube off (tumbling or ultrasonics) before priming, adding powder and inserting bullet.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a thought. Take another shell. lube it inside the neck and outside, then run it into the FL die. Does the shell holder come in hard contact with the bottom of the die? If not, then you don't have the FL die down far enough. Also the tip that the deprimer pin appears to be too far down may be correct. Adjust it back up a little.

Oh and if you're going to take any more pics, stay back a little further. My older olympus can only get 16 inches to an object UNLESS the macro is engaged, then it's 9 inches. You were too close, that's why the pics were out of focus.

I agree, it's a FL die in the pics. The collet is as pictured in the photo provided by Steve4102.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MaxM: Me_Plat, Jackass, Horses ass, troll, MF'er or anything else you want to call me here.
Don't you have anyone locally to help you with "your problem" or are you just wanting to see how many post can be made on a subject that could have been solved easily more than likely at the local range, gun shop or maybe even by someone at work?
Do you know anthing about reloading and the toolsassociated with the process?
Evidentally not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Max, have you tried any of the suggestions from these guys??? Remove the expander plug, adjust the FL die, check your bullet diameter, contact Lee, ask someone local for hands on help, etc, etc, etc... If you want them to help you, the least you could do is to try their suggestions and get back to them.

I have the Lee Factory Crimp Die for several calibers and all came with very clear instuctions. Short version: put the proper shell holder on the press, Raise the ram and screw the LFCD down until it touches the shell holder, Lower the ram and screw in 1/2 turn more , tighten more if tighter crimp is desired. But, as others have stated the crimp die is not the problem, your Full Length Sizer is.

If you truely have the die adjusted properly and are using the right dia bullet, then pull the stupid expander ball and see if this helps, please. If it does not help then we can look in a diff direction.

Nobody here thinks you are an idiot, we are just trying to help. A little more info and some cooperation from you would do wonders.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Max, first make sure you have the correct caliber bullets. Then move on to the sizing of your brass.
The crux of you problem is either the bullet is too small or the neck isn't getting resized to the proper dimesion. This is not a problem with your seating die. When I put a sizing die in my press, (Dillon 550B), I lever my press as far up as it will go. Then I run the die down until it touches the Base Plate and back it off about a half to three-quarters turn. I don't have any neck sizers so all of mine are full length. You should see some abrasion marks on the brass after sizing. At least I can. These vertical marks should be on the body, especially lower on the body towards the base and the Neck. One way to check to see if the neck is being sized is to mark it with a Black marker and see if the die is removing any of the mark.
If thats ok, then order a new decapping pin and go from there.

Don't be intimidated be someone trying to make you look foolish. You've done the right thing by asking for advise here. Try to find someone who is well versed in reloading methods and get a helping hand from them.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Me_Plat:
MaxM: Me_Plat, Jackass, Horses ass, troll, MF'er or anything else you want to call me here.
Don't you have anyone locally to help you with "your problem" or are you just wanting to see how many post can be made on a subject that could have been solved easily more than likely at the local range, gun shop or maybe even by someone at work?
Do you know anthing about reloading and the toolsassociated with the process?
Evidentally not.

So why did you post then? If you don't care?

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people are very helpful and most courteous on this site. What happened to me_plat?

Posts: 48 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
ME_plat, if you can't answer the guys problem, then just don't respond, you are being an ass. shame
Max, PM me & I'll give you my phone number. Maybe I can walk you through it. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with Me_Plat. I think he is one of the type of people that wonder why one would come on the internet and ask a question that could be more than likey answered by someone that could have given hands on experience in person. Just the other day he went about 25 miles to a guys house just to set the guys crimp die on his 44 mag set up. he never charged anything or expected anything in return for the help.
i think he is a little off the wall though thinking in simple terms when everyone else is thinking in convoluted fashions.
I think he has issues with certain things. tho In my experience everyone has issues with certain things also.
i think he feels that the local gunshops, ranges and even co workers that reload can give better help than trying to hash it out over the internet with someone on the other end of a keyboard.
Of course he could be an escapee from the mental word at the local hospital.

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
(Another troll jack-ass...thats AWESOME!)

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max M,I had the same problem with the 7mmrm.It might be best to drop that caliber.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Max M,I had the same problem with the 7mmrm.It might be best to drop that caliber.

What????

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to some locals and they are having me try a few things. If all else fails they are gonna come over and help me even more. Thank you SOOO much to the 2 gentlemen who offered to send me a book and die.. I will be pming you right away. No Chuck, I do not live near PUyallup or however you spell it. I am going out to my bench area as we speak! After I pm the people who offered help. THanks! I will update you shortly

Posts: 53 | Location: Washington | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max, If the directions seem unclear I will scan and fax you highlighted directions for the important parts. I used the same die system and press for quite a while. It was difficult to get set up in that press. The first good thing I did was to toss the Lee lock rings with the rubber in them and get split rings that lock to the die body with screws. It greatly helps repeatability on setup. Secondly, make sure the depriming pin just barely pushes the primer out. Lee seems to have a long expander ball, you may be bottoming out on the case web and you may only be sizing a small portion of the neck. Use the collet die, it is your friend...Make sure it is clean. When using that press I had to give it 1 and 1/4 turns in after it touched the shell holder to achieve the correct tension. I also chucked the expander ball unit up in a drill and got after it with 320 wet/dry sandpaper and flitz as a lube. It polished up beautifully.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Max, Just wondering if you found out what the problem was?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sir,
you have 6mm bullets, please read the box.
I have the same set of 257 dies (left over from a million years ago) and the die is a sizer, which sizes and decaps.

put your calipers ON the bullet

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38501 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with my Lee 30-06 FL sizing die. I could never figure out what was going on. I followed the inst. sentence by sentence. I finaly gave up and brought a different brand of die. I got a RCBS FL die and it worked perfect. Every once and awhile I will get the old Lee die out and try to figure out what is wrong, It still does the same thing. Bullets fall into the cases. I do use a factory crimp die once and a while but, only when I'm working a particular load that won't group well.

Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posts: 28 | Location: lenoir,nc | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Max,

I am new also to reloading. Go to Lee's website
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1170...elpVideos/video.html
And click on the help videos and go to the single stage press and review all the small vidieo clips. This should help.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy smoke! The case neck is too large or the bullet is too small, either one is an elementary diagnosis using calipers that should be on everyones bench. Having had a mini rant, I have seen one box of factory bullets labled 7mm that actually contained .264(6.5mm)bullets! Common sense has a place at the loading bench. cheers

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this thread is 13 months old, I bet that Max has either tossed the loader in the trash OR he has it figured out.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the Lee neck sizer die the part that is the trouble is the mandre is to large. I had the same trouble. Lee will make a custom mandre. I quit using LEE dies should make them right the first time.
Jerry

posted Hide Post
As a new member of this forum, I must say that this is the most un-profesional forum I have ever joined. So many topics turn into school girl pissing matches, I want to puke! Alot of posters need to grow up and lose the ego!

P.S. Some of you good guys need to tune your dies for the best load and shoot that fucking jerk Me_Plat in the fucking head. Before you kick me off, I quit, after one day. NICE FORUM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molar1:
Max, you are getting some good info here. As others have suggested, check once more to insure that the sizer die is screwed down far enough. With the press handle lowered all the way down, screw the sizer die down until it bottoms out on the shell holder and then turn the lock ring all the way down. Lube a case and run it through the die. There should now be enough neck tension that you cannot slide the bullet into the neck. If you can, I suspect a die problem. Also, the once fired brass you are using will grow in length after it is run through the sizer die. Before loading, you should measure it with calipers and use a case trimmer to trim it back to specs(you can find this info in a load manual in the cartridge intro section). One more thing that nobody has mentioned. The way you are establishing the seating depth of your bullets is dangerous. I noticed you are using a round nose bullet. If you are using a factory cartrige loaded with a spitzer style bullet to gauge the seating depth, you can get yourself in serious trouble. The same thing can happen even if you are using a factory cartridge loaded with a round nose of a different manufacturer. You may be pushing the bullet into the rifle's lands, thereby creating an very dangerous overpressure situation. I suggest using the method recommended in the nosler manual as it will be the easiest for you to perform. Take a once fired cartridge that has not been sized. You will probably need to lightly press one side of the case neck against a hard surface, such as your benchtop, in order to achieve a slight amount of neck tension to keep the bullet from completely falling into the case. You want enough tension on the bullet that you can seat it by hand barely into the neck, without being able to push the bullet all the way in. Next, take a black permanent sharpie marker and color the entire bullet. Give it a few seconds to dry and then insert the bullet by hand just barely into the case neck. Insert the cartridge into your rifle's action and gently close the bolt. Gently open the action and remove the cartridge. The will be a visible line on the bullet where it has contacted the lands and was pushed back into the case. You want this mark to line up where the case neck begins. Measure this length with calipers and record it. Now repeat the entire process two more times and take an average of the three measures. I usually subtract .030" from this number and use this as my starting OAL(cartridge overall length). Hope this helps and welcome to the reloading. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.