THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ain't life strange?? A refugee again .....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think I'll run over to CB and the CBA sites for a while, hopefully they're talking about shooting over there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Leftoverdj, I just find it hard to admit that a bunch of "grown men" would sit around acting like a group of women, one of whom bought the blouse all of them wanted... I always felt like men could agree to disagree without holding grudges.

And I don't need to watch a stripper pick up a quarter. I am more man than that, too.

We all got our own notions of entertainment. Just some of have the sense to leave others to theirs.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
45 2.1, my cranky old buddy ....

Yep, I know what you mean. Not only do we know all the best dirt, but between the two of us we set up all the long term mold stocking deals they currently use, we alone still have the ability to get a decent discount on a custom mold run, and finally I also do believe there is this real interesting little fine print boarder running all the way around every single one of their long term bullet drawings ....

(hee hee, you betcha there is - you put it there)

Buckshot alone might be able to try to tally up part of that list, none of the rest of them even know enough to start the pencil going.

But you be careful anyway, these youngsters really CAN BE that knee jerk reactive and stupid -- whichever one of them that is doing the button pushing anyway.

Remember, having 20 little tweety birds on your head and not being able to move or speak, that raises your blood pressure 'way 'way 'way too high to be safe. Feeling that mad isn't good for your karma, much less your health.

Avoid it if you can. If Carpetman can put back on his diplomat face, so can you. You got your shotgun for a backup if you need it.

Kelly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And so it ends, Shooters. Life is strange and if you live long enough you see more than one beginning and ending of a "good thing" that you enjoyed.

The internet and the bulletin boards that it supported have come a long long way, from static raw text listings, to sequential bounced e-mails, to live discussion based on posting to a thread on a live forum.

Forums have changed gradually from places of free expression to restrictive rule-ridden places where sheep go to be protected from hearing nary a bad word said "in public" (nor nary a word that is off topic either).

Shooters gave birth to Cast Bullets, but what the child sometimes turns into is nothing that the parents would want to live with. Indeed, sometimes in the children's view their aging parents sometimes have to be sent off to the old folks home because they are really too much trouble.

That too is the way things are.

And so I go gently into that good night .....

(if God so blesses me to do so)

Oldfeller

one of us
posted Hide Post
All is quiet on the Eastern Front....

(Sorry Wink couldn't help it.)

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Don't you hate it when you get the last word in, all is well, and some smart ass gets it going again?!

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Tim, be quiet, would ya? This whole thread has become like unwanted house guests that won't leave no matter how often you yawn or look at your watch.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry Mark, I'm really not that excitable. You will also notice I started it out polite, tried to keep it relatively calm and ended it gracefully.

==============================

Tim, cast your mind back & think of the profile forms that Veral used to run his old original pre-jail-term tracer lathe up against.

Remember how a very long nosed tiny meplat 270 became a mid long nosed small meplat 30 caliber and a fairly short nosed wide meplat 45 caliber bullet (all cut off the exact same profile tracer)?

Could we pull off the same trick using a "long nosed" 30 caliber coated carbide milling cutter being swung in a 2 axis CNC milling machine?

Do a long nosed 30 caliber, a mid nosed 8mm/338 caliber and a short nosed 45 caliber all off the same cutter? (same looped program with an edit on the radius number and a edit on the number of loops with each loop having all its drilling pecks in it as first operations)

Cutter would only have the nose form up to the first lube band, then repeats of the driver band and the lube groove.

Being a CNC program, you could come back to the last lube groove in the blocks and cut it to a precise straight shank gas check size as the very last operation per loop. To do this the designed lube groove in the cutter has to be "deeper" than the gas check shank (most cases this is true anyway. The lube grooves would not have to be as wide as a gas check shank as you could intentionally leave a full groove and part of the next band at the top of the hole to be trimmed away into the straight gas check shank.

(Yes, Tim has known me for years -- I get bored and tend to think up something neat to do to whittle away all the excess minutes)

===============================

Ok Tim, is this "possible enough" to start a discussion thread upon?

A concievable outcome could be a mold making apparatus that could kick out a multicavty mold of a known (hopefully very good) nose ogive and meplat characteristics that could be any length/weight/diameter size that a member wanted.

Cheap too (my idea of cheap, not theirs). Using standard LEE handles, block could be fairly long that way. Block to be a standard aluminum bar stock cut to length for easy raw material dimensions (use a good material though, not a cheap "ooze extrude" material like LEE does).

Whattya think -- worth kicking the idea around on a named thread?

Oldfeller

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez Tim....I am shocked and surprised at you. I believe that was Oldfellers let it go goodbye speech and I agree. It's done and over with, time to let it die.

Joe

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have a new bucket of wheel weights that needs to get smelted down and poured into ingots.
My problem is I don't know if I need to cuss at them before or after I dump them in the smelter?
Probably bitch while they are still in the bucket, cause it's so d*mn heavy. I just hope I get it all out before I start pouring ingots, or I may be doomed to get burned when dropping them in the casting pot.

I still need to find the right wads for the Lee 12 ga slug.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lars45,

Just make sure when you use those ingots to cast bullets to quench them in holy water. Preferably one-ragged-holy water.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Lar, you still up for trying to make molds? I know I still am.

Kelly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
new thread -- Inexpensive Mold making

see all you miscreants over there ....

bye now

Kelly

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a mudfight, leave for a week and see what happens Eeker

Yes, it is true we don't edit/delete postings here. Well I did delete the first thread ever on the medium bore forum where someone posted a poll to see if drinking improved one's shooting ability Confused

Anyhow, all are welcome here to discuss casting bullets, designing molds, and shooting cast bullets, scrounging alloy etc.

I underderstand the need to discuss items that can't be discussed on other forums, but generally don't care at all for threds that have the sole purpose of complaining about other forums. This thread has certainly run it's course, so lets move on and get back to the topic at hand.

I've always considered the cast boolet forum as the best for discussing casting. I haven't had any time to peruse the forum the past few years so have lost touch with it. I have often directed folks over there, and still consider it the first place to start when discussing cast boolets. I'd love to see more traffic here, but don't wan this to be the refuge of the disgruntled and for hard feelings and bitterness to rule this forum.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 454PB
posted Hide Post
Now I feel like the little kid removing his ear from his parents closed bedroom door.

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Posts: 52 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you two guys need to get a life. I can see why you aren't at the Cast Boolits website anymore...
The one problem with the internet, you get an incredible number of real life PeeWee Hermans talking here (where they are safe from taking responsibility for their actions) like they are Arnold Schwartzeneger. If old feller or starmetal talked like this face to face, they'd both be learning how to operate a motorized wheelchair...if they lived.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote