Find
Notify
Tools

Pig Hunting With A Difference: Mauritania. PHOTOS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted

Last week I did a hunt in Mauritania for Warthogs.
Mauritania lies between Senegal and Western Sahara, North Africa.
Was the first time I been to any African Country, sure was different.
Interesting place: Where Arabia meets Africa, and where the Sahara Desert meets the swamps and river delta of the Senegal River:

I arrived fist to Nouakchott (Pronounced a bit lik "Knock-shop")
..ahhhh Nouakchott (Knock-Shop) good place. Cracked me up.....
Shambolic desert city, mainly slums strewn in car wrecks and litter. Plenty livestock on the dirt roads, busy as. Flew in with Mauritania Airways, via Madrid and Casa Blanca. The other route is from Paris with Air France. (Better)

http://i70.photobucket.com/alb...itaniaFeb2010003.jpg
Typical "Knock-shop" city road, donkey arsed up.

Won't bore you with details. Cos I know I would rather look at pictures than read text.... Smiler
Anyway got through all that.
And headed for the huntin area. Plenty of interestin stuff along the way, but basically Desert for 4 hours and frequent stops by police to check out my passport and see what a kiwi looks like.

Hunting Camp was near the Senegal River. Bout the only placein the country that has plentiful water. Lots of crops, stock and quite damp. Yet within 1 mile it is barren desert.

http://i70.photobucket.com/alb...itaniaFeb2010112.jpg

Camp well organised. Main facilty building was solid concrete, and had all basics. Accomodation was in permanent tents. These had bathrooms, toilet, electricity. Real Good.

Inside they looked like this:

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Try that again:

Donkey arsing up.......

Big portion of ransport was on Donkey carts or Camels.

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
People was colourful. A mixture of race and cultures. Muslim country.
They had quite a bit of strife there.

Bit of info if you can be bothered reading it:

Independent from France in 1960, Mauritania annexed the southern third of the former Spanish Sahara (now Western Sahara) in 1976, but relinquished it after three years of raids by the Polisario guerrilla front seeking independence for the territory. Maaouya Ould Sid Ahmed TAYA seized power in a coup in 1984 and ruled Mauritania with a heavy hand for more than two decades. A series of presidential elections that he held were widely seen as flawed. A bloodless coup in August 2005 deposed President TAYA and ushered in a military council that oversaw a transition to democratic rule. Independent candidate Sidi Ould Cheikh ABDALLAHI was inaugurated in April 2007 as Mauritania's first freely and fairly elected president. His term ended prematurely in August 2008 when a military junta led by General Mohamed Ould Abdel AZIZ deposed him and ushered in a military council government. AZIZ was subsequently elected president in August 2009. The country continues to experience ethnic tensions among its black population (Afro-Mauritanians) and White and Black Moor (Arab-Berber) communities, and is having to confront a growing terrorism threat by al-Qa'ida in the Islamic Mahgreb.

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post

Warthogs can live up to 15 years.
The typical gestation period is 5 or 6 months and the litter size is 2 to 8 piglets, although 2 to 4 is more typical.
Piglets are weaned at 3 or 4 months of age, reaching sexual maturity at 18 to 24 months. Females may give birth twice a year.

i.e. Breed like Fk....

So no shortage and no need to feel bad about thinning them out a little.

A grouping of warthogs is called a sounder. Warthogs live in family groups of a female and her young. Sometimes two families, often of related females, will join together. Males normally live by themselves, only joining the groups to mate.

The warthog is mainly a grazer and has adapted an interesting practice of kneeling on its calloused, hairy, padded knees to eat short grass. Using its snout and tusks, it also digs for bulbs, tubers and roots during the dry season. They may eat earthworms and other small invertebrates during the wet season.
I also saw them feeding on dead carcasses of donkes and goats.

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
HUNTIN' EM:

Where I hunted it is the only hunting concession in Mauritania.
About the only species you can hunt there is Warthogs. Also the occasional Jackel.
Not a lot of other wildlife to be hunted. It's all been wiped out by encroaching domestic stock and periods of strife where anything edible was eaten.
Fortunate for Warthogs, Muslim's don't eat them.
The Concession area was about 84,000 hectares (200,000 acres) mainly agricultural land. Heavily populated and plenty of livestock: Camels, Donkeys, Goats, Cattle, Sheep, Horses. All running feral, but I guess owned by someone.
Lots of locals wandering about inthe hunting area, so had to be careful when shootin'

Two main hunting methods:

1/. "Spot and Stalk" This is what I enjoyed most. Out in the fields in early morning and late afternoon. I was surprised how good the eyesight was on the pigs. Most pigs I've hunted have poor eyesight. Warthogs can see you from over a mile away, and are off with their tails in the air. So had to use plenty cover.

2/. "Batida" (Driven Hunt) Here I was positioned in an opening/shooting lane and The scrub was beaten by peole and vehicles. The pigs come barreling past in small mobs, you have to do an instantaneous trophy assessment and whack the animal, all in about 2 seconds.
I'm not real good at running shots, but got surprisingly good. Shots were 25-300 yards and always standing "Off-hand"
I was using a camp gun. Remington 770 in 300 Win Mag. 180 gr Winchester powerpoints.
Very effective.
The pigs are solid 100-200 pounds. (Some are bigger, but I didn't see any huge ones.)
300 win mag was perfect.
Not too many exits, so tough little buggers.

My first pig was "Batida Style"
I'd never seen a Warthog before in my life, so just went for the one with biggest tusks, as they barrelled past at 80 yards. Managed to pull off a perfect double lung shot. Was quite impressed with myself, the locals happy that I could shoot.
It was a female:

Females only got 2 Warts on their face. Males got 4.

Ugly buggers.....bit like ya "Mother-in-law".... Smiler

My next shot not so flash. Hit too far back, and spent over an hour tracking the wounded animal. Finally got him:

After that I got stuck in. Got 8 that morning:

Manged a double...Bang...Bang...

Some decent ones there, but quite a few females. (They have good tusks too.)

Anyway got the volume thing out of my brain and from then on just went 'Spot an Stalk" looking for big ones.

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Got around in Toyota Hilux's. Each hunter had his own truck, with driver, beater and guide.

Big female I shot among the Bullrushes logside the river:

Crossing the river on a boat made outta plastic drums....
Not too stable, and nasty lookin water. Crocs???? Didn't see any.

GUIDE/TRACKER: "C-D" He was good:
Couple words english, quite a bit of spanish, fluent french. We got by and had lotsa fun.

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Bigget one I got:

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
COUPLE MORE PIC's TO FINISH UP

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I do believe that was the absolute, most comprehensive hunting report I have ever read -- hands down! Excellent work -- a pleasure to read. Congratulations!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome pics guys and writeup

Thanks for sharing and congrats!!

tu2 tu2

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
You must be one of only a handful that have hunted that country. Great Pix.

The Berbers are a handsome seople,

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow! a wonderful write up. Stunning pictures. It makes want to save my pennies to make the trip. A question please: The tusks of the warthogs had tape of different color on them, was this a way of marking each hunter's bag or a form of permit tag as we are used to in the states? Again, thanks for you narritive and photos. God Bless.
Jon In Tucson

Shoot Straight and Vote!

Posts: 49 | Location: Tucson , AZ | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Great shots and nice report. I, for one, enjoy people's words and descriptions as much if not more than the pics, so no worries there at all. Bloody well done all around, looks like. Agree that there are some handsome people out there; that one little girl around the pile of clothes is going to be an absolute bombshell some day! Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the write-up.....good stuff, looks like a blast(literally and figuratively)!

What a contrast when you see certain African ethnicities that are quite attractive set in a squalid backdrop.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
That's more than a hunt. It's an adventure. Impressive, but I would think more than twice about it before I went there. It looks somewhat frightening to me. It's a place that brings mental images of people (infidels) tied to posts with burning tires around their necks. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I think it's the kind of place to end up with the only way to identify your remains is DNA testing.

I certainly enjoyed the pictures and write-up. It's a great thing to do, for those up to it. There's good, beauty, and interesting things to do and see almost everywhere, especially in a strange and distant land.

One of my dream hunts is a hog/pig hunt adventure for the bush pig, or the red river hog. All I want is one of each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushpig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Hog

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
That was fantastic! Truly a "foreign" experience. I like that.

Oh, and my favorite quote:

quote:
Fortunate for Warthogs, Muslim's don't eat them.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, have to agree with all of the above. Absolutly brilliant!

Posts: 4353 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
great report.how did you find about it and arrange it? got to admit, it's the first time i ever saw a tent with a wooden door!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13269 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2082 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a very interesting glimpse at a part of Africa we seldom see.

Curious why this was moved from the African Hunting Reports section though.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What an adventure. Great report. How did you get onto this hunt? Did you use an outfitter or what?

I damn sure don't understand why it was moved, you can't get any more African Hunting than this. Again, congrats and thanks for the write up.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This a truly stunning report! I am somewhat jealous right now. I have been to Africa twice, and would truly love to repeat your adventure. The close up of the mans face is truly a great photo-art quality in my humble opinion. Well done my friend. Cheers, Luke

Posts: 361 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report and looks like you had great fun.It is the first time I read anyone having gone to hunt there.Your words about the only reason those Wart Hogs are surviving is due to the cultural practices of the natives is a sad testimony to state of wildlife conservation there.Someone is very enterprising there to come up with the idea of sport hunting. Hopefully, with hunters like you visiting there,they may find an incentive in keeping them alive. Thanks for a great post.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 798 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post

Some buddies of mine have been back there this week, they shot 130 for the week including this fantastic female.

Curious why this was moved from the African Hunting Reports section though.

??? Confused
This was not moved and never was posted in the African Hunting Reports...

I do beleive this Forum is labelled:
Hogs, WARTHOGS,Wild Boars,Javelinas Hunting.

For those interested in hunting there:
There is only one concession and one Outfitter:

Sahel Safaris.

I was impressed how well organised the whole set-up was.

I went alone, but would be great fun with a group of 4-6 friends.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing the story of your trip. Fantastic!

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Love to go back. Really was a fun adventure and value for money.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
This is one of the best hunt reports I have read in a while! Thanks for sharing you experience!!

Good Hunting!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
....am curious.......were they people to eat the meat from these several warthogs?

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What an interesting place ,great for photos.
Shame that terrorists are so anxious to destroy. The DAKAR Rally was moved to South America after threats from terrs.
I assume they eat the pork . If so how do they prepare it ?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Great pictures and report! Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
The meat was utilized, but by whom, I'm not sure. They went to quite a lot of effort to dress and butcher the meat, so must be an outlet somewhere....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome write up, thanks.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed the pics and info lines. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of this area.
Only other comment is that your largest hog reminds me of a rap singer.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
very intersting place to hunt ,i would love more info about aoutfitter PHs etc .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
very intersting place to hunt ,i would love more info about aoutfitter PHs etc .

Juan:

Por su informacion y en espanol.....Sahel Safaris

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a great report and photos.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, yes, damm fine account of your trip!! Thank you so very much for the time you spent putting that post together!! Great pics, nice to hear a little of the local history, and some fine shooting as well! Thank you again sir!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 08 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I can't read the spanish on their website, what were the approximate prices/bag limits/ length of hunt for a trip like yours. It looks VERY interesting.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
E-mail Rafael from Sahal. He speaks perfect english, and is a very organised operator. Prices are very reasonable. About 3.000 euro as base price and extra for more pigs. This is a quality operation in avery unique location.

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Regular flights to Noakchot from Casa Blanca. Primary language is french...