THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    Congratulation to Chris Hughes for his Trophy hog kill!

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Congratulation to Chris Hughes for his Trophy hog kill!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted
One of our newest members (DRSS) now has bragging rights to having killed the largest (free ranging,fair chase,non baited) hog with a Double. Saturday the 20th I called Chris Hughes to invite him down for a Sunday stroll in the 95 deg MS Delta heat in hopes of getting a little practice with the Doubles. Chris was game so the next day we met at 2pm and drove out to the hunt area. Chris brought the ole hog slaying Merkel 470 NE that I bought from Bal and sold to Chris (regretfully!!! he wouldnt take the 500 Mad) and I was packing the Merkel 500. After walking a couple of miles I began to pick up the scent of the beast and zeroed in on their location. Many grueling hours passed, Chris was beginning to hallucinate (he was in the Navy, cant take the tough conditions as a Marine) and I was getting a little thirsty myself, but we pressed on. With evidence of hogs increasing we went into full stalk mode. During this time of day, in this kind of heat, the hogs are going to be lounging in the mud and if one is not careful, walk right up on them and blow the ambush. Having spotted a nice aray of honeysuckle vine I stopped to freshin the bouquet arrangement in the spare loop on my Mike Jines multifuntion wrist band ammo caddy when out of the corner of my eye caught sight of what appeared to be a large beast!! Chris quietly made his way to my position so we could discuss the plan of engagement. The hog was sleeping in the mud about 30 yards away with its back to us so we had total element of suprise. Ten minutes of "rock,paper scissors", Chris wins the right to shoot so we both agree to allow the beast a fair chance. I remain in place next to the honeysuckle, filming with my phonecam and Chris slowly makes his way to the animal. Within less than 20 yards the beast stands and just as it got one foot on the bank of the ditch Chris drilled it between the shoulders with a 500 gr woodleigh! A split second follow up seals the deal! At this point we still do not realize just how big this hog is until we cross the ditch and its at our feet! shocker Long story short we recruit the help of friends with a tractor, get the hog to my hanger and weigh it, 430# beer. The Taxidermist weighed it at 440#, either way it is a big animal and wonderful trophy for Chris to display in his new home! May I also mention it was Chris' first kill with his Double, and first kill using ammo loaded himself! Needless to say we were both very excited!! Enjoy the pictures.......

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
you guys and your trick photography ha ha just kidding! Congrats Chris that is an awesome beast!!! you done the Navy proud beer,
It would have been nice to see a picture of the Mike Jines ammo caddy honeysuckled wearing Marine,might a started a new fashion trend Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work, that is a monster!! Congratulations! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a huge hog!! Congratulations to the hunter!!!

So much for all those people who say how they can't get that big in the wild.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris--Congratulations on a really big hog. Well done. When they get that big, they qualify as DG by anyone's definition.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
What a honker!!

Congrats to both of you on a great hunt!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That hog is a blimp--and you guys just gave me the incentive to get off my duff and go kill one myself (or two or three).

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Super Hog, and Good Story.
I think Mississippians learn "Story Tellin'" beginnin' just before their ABC's.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, once again, Chris! Well done both of you!
And welcome to the DRSS!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
That is one big hog. Great story and great photos, thanks for sharing. I'm going hog hunting in Nov and this is getting me pumped up.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
What a hog!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pig! Hellava lot of pork chops! Big Grin

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Wow, that guy is huge. I suspect this record may stand for a while.

Good job!

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Hell of a hog for sure and for certain

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote