THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    How I cured my latest case of SDD(Shooting Deficit Disorder) or 13 more bite the dust

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How I cured my latest case of SDD(Shooting Deficit Disorder) or 13 more bite the dust
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had the opportunity to take several guys and their sons to my lease in the Texas hill country last weekend. Between Friday morning and Sunday evening we shot 13 hogs three of which were over 250 pounds. Friday morning between 7:30 and 8:30 we took 5 hogs. First was taken by a sixteen year old who made his first bow kill. Next, one of the men shot 3 hogs during a 30 minute period. Finally a 12 year old made a 120 yd shot on a boar we later weighed in at approx 270 pounds. This was his first rifle kill. Needless to say the dads were ecstatic. I was sitting in my truck next to the stand the 12 year old was in, when the hogs came to the corn. He took aim and shot the hog behind the shoulder with a 243 using 100 grainers. The hog ran into the woods. I told them we ought to wait at least 30 minutes before tracking. After we waited for the hog to expire, the boy climbed down out of the stand. His dad remained. I told him to follow me and we would see if we could find a blood trail. We did. I started showing him how to track looking for blood and hoof marks. We followed the blood trail and tracks for about 70 yds. into a super thick stand of Juniper. I always carry a Glock 36 in 45 acp loaded with 230 gr. Jhp’s with me, but I guess I got careless, as I had it in a fanny pack rather than in my hand. We were tracking along when the hog charged us from under a Juniper bush about five feet from where we were standing. The boy screamed when he saw the hog. I pushed him out of the way and the dammed pig ran right between my legs. When this happened he brushed against me and I lost my balance, did a shoulder roll and came up with my pistol. Lucky for me he decided not to turn around and tear me a new one. Once he calmed down a little bit, the kid said he was too scared to go after the pig. I told him that I would go on and see if I couldn’t find him again and put him down. I followed blood sign for about another 20 yds. when I saw the hog laying against a fallen oak. I yelled at the kid, “here he isâ€. When I did this, the hog got up and charged again. This time I was about 10 feet away when he began his charge. I had my pistol out this time. I put six shots from my Glock into him and he dropped about 2 feet from me. Talk about getting your adrenalin pumping. I started whooping and hollering as an adrenalin release. We carry radios and the boy’s dad called and asked what I was hollerin’ about. I told him what I’ve just describe here about the hog charging the first time and running between my legs, and about the second charge and subsequent downing of the beast. His retort was to say, GW, I saw how big that hog was, and I know how short you are, do you still have your nuts. I replied, “man when you get as scared as I was your scrotum tends to suck up all the way to your stomach, and that the family jewels were intact.â€
The first two pictures that follow are of the biggest hog shot. He was about 300 pounds.

The next four pix are of a hog I shot Saturday evening that had pretty good tusks.

Proud dads and their sons

Reed, with his first hog that I ended up having to put down with a pistol

Proud dads and their sons

A nice sow that I nailed with my 338 ultra-mag

Anyway a good time was had by all, and I am fully recovered from my latest attack of shooting deficit disorder (SDD) for at least three more weeks.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Some of those Hill Country Hogs sure do have a lot of Russian in 'em. Good story and picts. Thanks.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!! Excellent story, and a great bunch of hogs you guys took! Congratulations! beer

You got charged (twice!), and conquered! Man, I need to go hunting hogs -- and it looks like I need to go hunting hogs in Texas!

Great job!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Hogs and a great hunting story.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is a GREAT story and I'm glad to hear that everything is still intact...

These proud dads and kids will be forever changed after a hunting trip like this...

You did an awesome job and showed them a GREAT time...

Those pics show some good looking hogs on your lease...

I wish you continued success!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Great hunt!!

Like SG155 said...a lot of Russian blood in them!!

I am going in 3 weeks......seems like a long time away!!

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
exelent, good stuff.
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote