New
Find
Notify
Tools

hadn't posted in a while
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't posted in a while because I haven't done a lot of hunting as of late. Family issues, some minor health issues, and the turkey season put a dent in my hunting. Frankly didn't have too much success when I did hunt for much of this spring.

Hopefully my luck may have changed. We went hunting last weekend and got off to a slow start, I said to myself here we go again.

But suddenly things changed, the dogs took took off on a scent and we caught two hogs and I killed another with my knife. I had to kill that one because it was down in a creek with the dogs and there was precious little bank for me to work with. I had trouble just not slipping into the creek as it was as slick as owl manure, no hope of getting control of the pig. So I sliped my bowie between her ribs as she swam by me with Dogo and others clinging on to her. The dogs had tore her up pretty good and I don't think she would have made it anyhow. She was a nice sow close to a hundred pounds are so. It was good to get some blood on the blade, it had been a while.

I only took one picture of this hunt as we just got real busy. It is with my friend Neal, and the two pigs we caught alive.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday evening Son-in-law and I made a patrol on the back 200 acres. There had been a pile of rain in the area lately and we figured the bottoms would be full of water forcing the hogs onto his pasture. Sure enough, as we walked into the back pasture we observed a large black object in the middle of the pasture some 350 yds from our position. We scoped it out and sure enough it was a single hog rooting up the pasture.

We began to stalk the hog across the open field, the grass was about knee high in most places giving us little cover. I got behind Stuart and got as low as posible. When we got to the wet areas I made sure my steps hit the water at the sametime his did in an effort to reduce the sound as much as posible. When we closed to about 120 yds or so, Son-in-law held up and said that I should shoot from here and he would back me up. I tried to kneel but the grass was too high, so I took the shot off my hind legs. At the shot, I felt it was a good one, but the hog spun around and Stuart fired two quick shots from his Remington semi-auto, the hog went down right after his last shot. I put a round into my 6.5 Italian/Jap scout scoped rifle as I walked up. The hog was taking his last breaths when we found him. It was a big boar with nice ivory, easy 200 lbs +. There was a single bullet wound right in the boiler works, somebody made a nice shot. I think it was me.

I knew it was just work it a way, making that little patrol, but it was fun!!

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your back. Great report and pix. I'm champing at the bit right now, ready to go.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Good job, Larry! And welcome back! I too need to get out and do some hunting.......going a little stir crazy. beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, good to be back. By the way, have y'all been having trouble with the site? I have had quite a bit lately, getting error messages, often unable to get into a forum, getting a message to visit the online store, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem here in Pearland, Tx.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may have told us before, but what is a 6.5 Italian Jap?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Them Louisiana fellas sure do a lot of shootin' off their hind legs. hilbily

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
Thanks guys, good to be back. By the way, have y'all been having trouble with the site? I have had quite a bit lately, getting error messages, often unable to get into a forum, getting a message to visit the online store, etc.

No problems with the site on this end, Larry -- ecept for the ammount of time I spend on it..... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry, glad you are back.

BUT "6.5 Italian Jap Scout rifle... Eeker there has got to be a story there, with pictures. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Larry-

Glad to see you are back and giving the hogs some heck... Big Grin

Here's hoping to see more of your hunting pictures very soon...

Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, but I have been unable to get onto this forum until today. I am in La, and not Ar. now, and things work great here, the suburbs, as opposed to the sticks. Love the sticks by the way.

The rifle I'm describing is a war souvenir given to me by a cousin who was in the Navy during WW2. It is chambered for the 6.5 Jap. a version of the Carcano (sp) made by the Italians for the Japanese during the war. The Japs called it the type I. My cousin got it and unfortuantely bubarized it by cuting the stock and bending the bolt. As it was already modified when I got it and I could not find a stock to refurbish the rifle, I had the barrel cut to 20" and had a scout scope mounted, and it makes a handy little carbine. I have found it to be accurate and pleasant to shoot, contrary to what I've heard about Carcanos (sp)

Again thanks to everybody for their responses and comments.

Regards,

Larry

ps the type I is the bottom rifle (of course).[/QUOTE]