Find
Notify
Tools

600 pound pig
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
quote:
Durant resident Mark Swearengin sent this note to KTEN News about a the wild hog population booming and creating tremendous crop damage in Bryan County. Swearengin says he received a call from the rancher who has this field on 700 acres of land south of Hendrix along the Red River, practically begging him to kill some of the hogs that were causing the damage.

http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=5891382&nav=menu410_3

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you check Snopes.com you will find this story has been around with other people and places claiming the same thing.
I don't think that you will find any true feral hogs near that large.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'snoped it, not there.

if it's a hoax, he hoaxed a TV station.

that's possible, mind you Wink

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tin Can, It showed up a couple weeks ago with somebody in Fla. with a different name and the website, whom I thought was Snopes, said it has shown up with the same pics and 2 different locations and names. I believe that KTEN is in Ada, Okla.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Well, the video of the TV report clinches it for tin can.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
OK, in his "story," the guy (or whoever)wrote: " I realized afterwards that it had actually been much closer than I had initially thought. It's large size fooled me into thinking that it was further away"

That's bull. If the hog was much larger than he thought, the range estimation would have been in reverse -- he'd have thought it to be FARTHER, not closer.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9371 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to sound skeptical, but, it's too clean, ears are not scarred from fights, tusks should be prominent, and based on an old boar our neighbors had, probably not over 600/700 lbs. It is certainly an impressive pig, would hate to have to maintain the fencing that kept him penned. Don't see evidence of nose rings to keep him from rooting, only sign of maybe feral. For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind shootin' one that size.

Elmer Keith. Enough said.

Posts: 40 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 06 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
It is difficult to tell the exact weight of a Hog from a picture.
However, I have weighed several hogs that I have killed.

I have a 300 Lb scale, the biggest hog I have killed bottomed it out weighing about 325 to maybe 340.

It looked a LOT bigger than the hog in that picture.

Hint... If you can grab the back legs, and drag the hog across the ground it is less than 300 lbs.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen quite a few big hogs go thru the stock sales over the years.

Not many get this big, but, some do every year.

I believe this is a good estimate at 5-600 or there abouts.

I was a long haul trucker about ten yrs back in the 60 & 70"s. Was bobtailing across SD one night on one of the small farm type highways when a huge white hog ran across the road in front of me. Sure glad he made it as I wouldn't have wanted to roll that truck by hitting him and believe I would have.
That one was about the same size as this one near as I can judge.

It would have stood at least four feet high I'm sure. These measurements don't sound anywhere near correct. A pig this big should be closer to 7 or 8' circumference.

At 4 1/2' as quoated, it would only be about 2' or a bit less dia. That wouldn't let it be over 350-400#. Take a tape measure and form a circle and you'll see what I'm saying. I do believe the 6'+ long as his rifle is full size and they run about four feet long. That's a good way to judge and back up your claims. Put the rifle on their backs.

Would a pig this big be any good to eat? That's my question.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5958 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Although this was a sow, the only over-300# hog I've killed had testicles about american-football size, and was totally unedible. The first time I started cooking some of it, it stank up the kitchen so badly I had to open windows for several hours. Even the dogs wouldn't eat it.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote