Find
Notify
Tools

Open for debate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted
I was hunting Hogs earlier this year with some friends. Two of which had shots at hogs which were about 100 yards out running from right to left at full tilt according to the guys who had the shots. One was shooting a .308, the other a 7mm Rem Mag. Both got off 3 shots each. The Hogs escaped unharmed. Now the questions are, A. How fast can a Hog run? B.What lead if any should have been applied?
So far I've been told the lead is anywhere from a dead on hold and up to 4 1/2 feet!
Anyone care to commit?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
bullet at 3000fps takes 0.1 sec to go 300 ft.
Pig doing 100yd dash in 10 sec goes 3 ft in 0.1 sec.
Since our reflexes aren't instantaneous, we might need to lead a little more, or less if he's just trotting.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of unmentioned variables. Scoped or Iron sights. What power was scope set on. Freehand or supported on stix or rest. What kind of shots are your friends, do they shoot often and ever at moving targets.

For the most part I use scoped rifles in my old age. Usually scoped with 2.5 x 8 or 3 by 9 variables. If I'm spot and stalk hunting, I set the scope on the lowest power, in order to give more field of view. If stand hunting usually I'm around 5 power to start with.

Last two instances of running shots:
First
I was heading down one of the roads on the ranch where I hunt when I looked to my right along a power line right of way. About 750 yds down (250 yds between poles, 3 poles) was a sounder of hogs at a spin cast feeder. Grabbed my binocs and took a look. About a dozen or so.
I was on my four wheeler and headed that way. I stopped about 150 yds from the feeder. The road ran adjcent to the power line right of way, about 100 yds to the left. This area is very thick with juniper and scattered oak motts. I used the cover to get within say 70 yds of the porkers. I was behind ajuniper, but couldn't get a clear shot without exposing myself. They must have got my wind, cause just as I moved over to get a clear shot they bolted. Well if you know pigs, they don't follow the leader they bust out like a covey of quail running hither and yon. I busted two running left to right in quick succession. Probably more luck than skill. How much I lead them, I couldn't say. Probably more instinct than actual calculated lead.

Pretty much the same on the second set of circumstances. Was sitting in an elevated blind. Had corned the road that ran left to right about 50 yds. in front of me. It was getting late in the afternoon when a sounder of piggies showed up. I had a marlin guide gun in 45-70 on this occasion. I find that a 400 gr. bullet at 1800 fps works great on deer and hogs. Usually DRT with no bloodshot meat.
I dropped the first one. The piggies run up a steep incline in a direction straight away from me. Lots of low brush and cactus, but I get off three shots at them running up the hill and nail two. Once again I'd say the lead is probably a matter of instinct, but probably no more than a couple feet in front of them, from the time my brain says "squeeze, and my trigger finger does.

Best

GWB
Second.

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Here is what I come up with,
A Critter moving @ 25 MPH is doing 51.33 fps.
A projectile doing 1704.54 MPH is doing 2500 fps
A projetile doing 1909.09 mph is doing 2800 fps.
25 mph takes 8.2 seconds to cover a 100 yds.
1704.54 mph takes .12 seconds to cover a 100 yds.
1909.09 mph takes .11 seconds to cover a 100 yds.
Lets assume you are shooting from East to West so the Coriolis effect is not a concern.
I say holding between the Nose and Eye will be a killing shot?
Anyone agree? Dis-agree? Confused

If anyone would invite me, we could do a joint study on this. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still some variables.
Hogs don't necessarily run in a straight line. You also have the time it takes from the moment your brain says "squeeze and you do, lock time for firing pin, etc.

I think close to a foot lead would be better.

Just sayin.................

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion on this one, but from my little bit of experience, use the K.I.S.S. method.

Keep It Simple Stupid. Even though it is shooting with a rifle and not a shotgun, at 100 yards, even with a hog running flat out, hold on the head, roughly between the eye and ear and the bullet should hit somewhere in the rear portion of the neck or in the shoulders.

As Geedubya is saying, hitting running targets hat are fairly low to the ground, moving erractically as hell is not easy anytime.

But just as in shooting flying birds with a shotgun, if it is clear enough and you have time, swing with the pig as it is running, starting at the hindquarters and as the crosshairs reach the neck, back portion of the head, pull the trigger.

If it is a hog of any size the hit should be in the shoulder somewhere and should slow the pig down long enough to put a finisher in it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
A Critter moving @ 25 MPH is doing 51.33 fps.
A projectile doing 1704.54 MPH is doing 2500 fps
A projetile doing 1909.09 mph is doing 2800 fps.
25 mph takes 8.2 seconds to cover a 100 yds.
1704.54 mph takes .12 seconds to cover a 100 yds.
1909.09 mph takes .11 seconds to cover a 100 yds.

According to this, the animal will travel about 1.5 yards in the .11 seconds it takes for the bullet to travel the 100 yards from the rifle to the animal.

So you would need to lead about 1.5 yards(4.5 feet) of lead.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy

"Keep It Simple Stupid. Even though it is shooting with a rifle and not a shotgun, at 100 yards, even with a hog running flat out, hold on the head, roughly between the eye and ear and the bullet should hit somewhere in the rear portion of the neck or in the shoulders."

I DISAGREE with the above. I reckon you MIGHT hit it's ass at best, if not be behind it.

A pig running FLAT OUT at 100 yards, and I was using my 30.06 Win Mod 70, I'd give it a good 4ft lead if not more (and that is lead from the front of the chest, not the nose).

I swing on them from behind and pull the trigger when I get to the point I think is right. I find all guns are different.

Most pigs (and other animals missed) are missed behind.

A lot of shooting over here in Aust, especially pigs is on the run (except maybe the first shot) and it does take some practice to get it right.

That's my HO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
500N,
You are 100 % correct in saying that it takes a lot of practise. The guys that are really good at it always advise to swing through the shot and not stop before squeezing the trigger.
I shot a young sprinting Warthog at 35 yards, passing across me. At the instant of the shot, the crosshairs was a full body length in front of the pig. The impact was square on the shoulder. Looked like a circus pig doing cartwheels. Only then I realised how much lead is actually required on other game.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMG Hunting Safaris:
The guys that are really good at it always advise to swing through the shot and not stop before squeezing the trigger.

That's how i do it. Swing through and you automatically pull the trigger at the right point. It comes naturally.

Re the practice comment - I couldn't count the number of pigs I missed (based on the fact you only practice on vermin, not game) but I can distinctly remember on the trip when it all "clicked" and they started dropping and from then on it just flows.

I now shoot Buffalo on the run with open sights without a problem, the last 2 made me really pleased as one was a head shot just behind the ear at 90+ yards and the other a little bit further back in the spine right behind the neck.

The 90+ yard one, I actually swung onto it but I realised something was wrong so started the swing again.

With running game, you know as you fire whether you are going to hit the animal before the bullet gets there.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I DISAGREE with the above. I reckon you MIGHT hit it's ass at best, if not be behind it.

Disagree all you care to sir, I am just going with what works for me, your mileage may vary.

It might be good to wait and actually see someone shoot before you start telling them they are wrong.

Them Aussie hogs may be faster than a speeding bullet but I seriously doubt it.

Different strokes for different folks, with the practice aspect being the only common denominator.

Everyone's mileage will vary, I am just going with what has been working for me, and the pigs I have been shooting the way I do are probably just as dead as the ones you folks have been shooting.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to this, the animal will travel about 1.5 yards in the .11 seconds it takes for the bullet to travel the 100 yards from the rifle to the animal.

So you would need to lead about 1.5 yards(4.5 feet) of lead.

At 25 MPH a critter will take 8.2 seconds to cover 100 yds. A bullet @ 2800 FPS will take .11 seconds to cover a 100 yds.
In .11 seconds the critter will cover 1.34 yards.
I would put the sight 3 feet in front of the nose. The bullet should strike approx. 14" back. This would be equal to a Skeet target on station 5 low house.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone consider the arc that the hog back bends in the length of ground covered by the pig at 25 miles per hour???????????????

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
A lot can be learned from watching these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLp6DQjDjxw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...fESI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH27qZtzXB8&NR=1

There are others by the same outfit and shooter.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
The last Video was the best. Looks like 3 feet of lead might be too much?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Disagree all you care to sir, I am just going with what works for me, your mileage may vary.

It might be good to wait and actually see someone shoot before you start telling them they are wrong.

Them Aussie hogs may be faster than a speeding bullet but I seriously doubt it.

Different strokes for different folks, with the practice aspect being the only common denominator.

Everyone's mileage will vary, I am just going with what has been working for me, and the pigs I have been shooting the way I do are probably just as dead as the ones you folks have been shooting.

Happy to disagree. No problems.

Good healthy discussion on forums is interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot more than my share of hogs in my day, using both bolt action rifle and semi-auto rifle. I have used iron sights and a 1 x 4 or 2 x 7 rifle scope. Now days I must use the rifle with a scope as eyes are not as good.

I also use now, a FAL-SA-58 in .308 win caliber. I don't know about those video's but I seldom have ever had to lead a running hog or pig more than 2 feet at 100 yards. Most of them are shot in the woods, zig zagging their way through those trees and brush. At 50 or 60 yards there is very little lead at all, hold on the head and the bullet will score a vital hit.

Posts: 334 | Location: America | Registered: 23 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On that last video, which was very good, I don't consider any of those boars to be running "full tilt" as the Original poster described and which I was basing my post on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best way to find out how much to lead them is to go out and bust some running piggies.
Good luck and good hunting.

GWB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I have shot a couple of deer running broadside, and two hogs, all running full out, but within 40 yards. For practical purposes, it's correct to say the bullet hit where I was aiming.

I had one opportunity to shoot at hogs at about 125 yds, running full speed. I emptied the rifle, and didn't score except on the first one, which was standing still. IMO, it's not easy, but the guy in the video makes it look easy, because he's that good. After watching the video, I'm pretty sure I missed those hogs by shooting in front of them. If I ever have another chance, on hogs running broadside within 50 yards, I'll aim at about the ear level. If 100 - 125 yards and running, I'll go for just in front of the nose. I'll have to estimate at the time, but I don't think a 2 or 3 foot lead is necessary, unless way out there. I doubt I'll do that kind of shot anyway, unless the hog is standing still.

Edited: I watched the third video again, and paid close attention to that fast pig at about 125 yds. It looks like the lead was about a hog-length, which is probably 2-3 feet, maybe a bit more. That's interesting, and good to remember.

As geedubya says, practice.
KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Best way to find out how much to lead them is to go out and bust some running piggies.

GWB

I couldn't agree more! Plus, it'll be a public service! Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:

GWB

I couldn't agree more! Plus, it'll be a public service!

+1

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd lead those hogs at least 3 feet in front of snout. I've killed quite a few running. First big boar (325 pounds) I ever killed was running on first shot at about 150 yds and I finally weighted him down at about 350. I hit him 4 out of 6 with a .30-06 but, needless to say, I didn't get a CNS shot in.

Best example I can give similar to yours is I was hunting a feeder with a fairly narrow lane, about 15 yards with brush and trees on both sides. 2 125-150 pounders came out. I waited a bit for a twofer but they wouldn't line up, so I head shot the first and the second one took off running to right, got to edge of woods and apparently thought "Opps, where's old so and so?" and reversed direction. I'm shooting a pre-64 M70 300 WM and while he's doing this I'm working bolt. Due to blind I'm in, I'm sort or restricted in free swinging (opening too low) so I'm resting gun on my hand on ledge.....not a free swing......and by the time I pick hog up he's about 10 feet from edge of brush on left side. I hold six feet in front of his nose and let it go. Hit him amidships, or about 9 feet from point of aim and he died within 25 yards. Feeder is exactly 92 yards from blind and hog was on other side, probably 98 to 100 yard shot.

It's kind of like skeet, it depends on how fast you're swinging, some people (mostly good shooting kids with lightning reflexes) can shoot what appears to them to be a 1 to 2 foot lead on station 4 and some have to shoot a 6 foot lead, average is 3 to 4.

Back to the hogs, it's kind of the same as birds, you can overlead a bit and still hit them in the head, underlead and you're done unless you break a hip.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 'em on the run just like shooting doves with a shotgun--start behind them, swing through and touch the trigger when the crosshair gets to the snout, but DO NOT stop your swing. Works great out to 100 yds. Have never tried it past that.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"