Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Detachable Rings for Picatinny Rails
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted
I now have several takedown bolt-action rifles with Picatinny Rails. (An HS-Precision in 338 WM and Merkel Helix in 308). I used Warne Quick Detach Rings, specifically these:

They seem to work OK, though neither rifle is shooting particularly accurately yet. And, of course, one possibility is the rings' fit to the rail. Again, it seems OK, but I thought I might consider another ring type when I put on different scopes.

Any recommendations or thoughts?

Thanks.

Posts: 721 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, this is my first message.
I would recommend Recknagel.

Best regards.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff

Thank you very much for your welcome.
I want to tell you, that I am not an expert in technical matters, I know friend cases that use Apel and have been disgusted by slight marks on the tube; something that did not happen with these rings.
Mechanically they are highly recommended and robust.
I hope it serves.

Best regards.

Manuel.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I found an article on detachable mounts by Terry Wieland and he seemed to like the Warne mounts but warned Smiler they need to be put on very tight, after which you might need a small tool to release them.

They should be fine on a medium calibre like the 338 WM. Manuel's Recknagels might be even better on heavier calibres but I bet the price would rise exponentially.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree that the QD's from NECG is a great system but yes they are pricey. That happens with quality. Unfortunately, no one makes the old claw mount German base + ring sets for an instant Q.D. That is the arrangement on my 1920's Mannlicher Shonauer rifles. It works, easy to remove scope with no tools + one can do it with gloves on. A lot to be said about German old world quality design.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hannay:
Sambarman,
Thanks. When I get back to the USA, I will try tightening them more to see if that helps. You don’t happen to remember where the article appeared, do you?
Jeff

It was in The Classic Rifle magazine, Jeff, the only edition ever published IIRC from July 1995.

I only have a photocopy of the article but my buddy who has the magazine says he will bring it over. PM me your email address and I'll scan some pages and send them to you.

Better still, PM your postal address and I'll send a copy of my book on scopes called Light at the Start of the Tunnel as well.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
You're welcome, Hannay. Your book and article review are on the way.

Having got it back, I see the real name of the magazine is The Custom Rifle Gazette and that it came from Enid in your own state. J.J. Perodeau was the Technical Adviser on it and might know where you could find a copy.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Having that background, I'd give him a ring Smiler