THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Comments on leading scope manufacturers and their latest offerings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comments on leading scope manufacturers and their latest offerings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LEICA MAGNUS 1 - 6.3 x 24 mm riflescope

http://en.leica-camera.com/spo...s/Magnus%201-6.3x24/

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Leica CRF 1600 is on show currently:-

Leica Laser Rangefinder Ratings

"The Leica Laser Rangefinder lineup currently consist of only one series of rangefinders the Lecia Rangemaster CRF and is available in two versions: the Leica CRF 1600, and the Leica CRF 1000

CRF 1600 - Update: Cabela's has these in stock. This is a new addition to the Leica Rangemaster series of rangefinders. While it looks like these are finally starting to become widely available, details are a little hard to come by right now. Here is what is being said, the Leica CRF 1600 will give readings out to 1600 yards, and give the user a reading within a third of a second. Unlike other Leica CRF rangefinders, this has ballistic holdover tables to choose from to aid in accurate long distance shooting. The CRF 1600 also is able to measure and account for temperature and barometric pressure and is cabable of making readings and holdover corrections in either yards or meters.

CRF 1000 - This is pretty much the little brother to the CRF 1200, the same basic features, size, and weight. The CRF 1000 has a maximum range of 1000 yards which is only 200 yards less than the CRF 1200; and appears to currently be the closest substitute for those wishing to buy the now discountinued CRF 1200. One noteworthy feature of the CRF 1000 is its ability to measure in either yards or meters, many previous versions of the Leica CRF had to be ordered in either yard or meter versions.

CRF 1200 - While not very feature heavy, the Leica Rangemaster 1200 keeps things pretty simple. Its 4.5" x 1.3" x 3" size makes this a very compact rangefinder, and at only 7.8 oz it is very light weight as well. Maxumum distance as you might expect is 1200 yards and its 7x magnification makes sure that you can see find those long distant targets downrange. Unfortunately, this highly respected rangefinder has been dropped from the Leica line up, one can get a very similar model in the Leica CRF 1000, or a slightly more powerful and feature rich model in the Leica CRF 1600."

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CRF 1600 - Update:-

Its superior quality optical system with 7x magnification and an extra-wide field of view also makes the Leica Rangefiner a useful monocular glass for detailed, high-contrast viewing.

The AquaDura coating on the exposed lens surface lets water just run off and makes dirt particularly easy to remove.

The brightness and sharpness of its LED display have been decisively improved too. The figures remain clear and distinctly legible even in the dazzling brightness of snowscapes. Its red LED display is as bright as day and absolutely tack-sharp. Its display brightness adjusts automatically to ambient lighting conditions. This effectively prevents dazzling in the dark and improves legibility when it’s bright.

The display is not cluttered like the top of the line Leupold.

My friend just bought one at the show - I think Leica has a winner here.

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sniper scope KAHLES ZF-95 6x42 mm for sale - $726

The ZF-95 scope has the necessary features of a one inch diameter (26mm), one-piece steel tube nitrogen purging for fog and water resistance a matte black, heat cured enamel finish 42mm objective objective diopter adjustment #22 Ranging reticle; and clearly marked, externally adjustable turrets for both windage and elevation. The ZF series also has pre-calibrated elevation turrets available for 69 grain .223, 168 grain .308 Win, 165 grain 7mm Rem Mag, and 190 grain .300 Win Mag cartridges - as well as a blank turret. The Kahles ZF-95 is a scope worthy of VERY serious consideration for use on an urban tactical rifle. It offers the best of all worlds at a price that is competitive with similar domestic tactical scopes.

http://www.hydroponicsonline.c...EW_260747083679.html

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Bushnell Elite scope:

Bushnell has dropped the 3200 line for 2011.

The new Elite scopes are essentially the same old 4200 scopes, with the very same specs, but with an upgraded broadband coating to improve color perception, and instead of using dry Nitrogen, the new Elite scopes will use Argon gas to prevent fogging, which is considered an improvement. There is unfortunately no difference in eye-relief, which is a bit short (3.3 inches or 83 mm) for use on very high recoiling rifles such as the .416, .458 and .510 calibers.

The build quality is good, and the glass is very clear.
Scope mounting is flexible, offering 6 inches of mounting space.
They now offer the popular number 4A reticle as well with illumination - etched on the lens.

I am waiting for their new catloque to see the detailed specs.
The Elite 6500 is their top of the line scope and only available in a 30 mm tube, offering a 100 mm eye-relief.
Bushnell is famous for its Rainguard water-repellent coating, the world's most effective anti-fog rechnology.

The original Elite line was made by Light Optical Works in Japan, and that may just be still the case. The other Bushnell series (Banner, Legend & Trophy) are being made elsewhere such as in the Phillipines, Korea and China.

The Bushnell is still the number one selling scope in the USA, despite Leupold's good reputation.

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my upriver Indian buddies is staying over for weekend (big divari & conquest guy) and I showed him a new VX-3L Illum scope I got. He walked out on the porch and then told me his divari is 30 times better than the Leu, ha ha. Told me his divari didn't need to be illuminated, can see after dark with it just fine. ha ha. I'm about afraid to take a look at one now; might not like all my leupolds as much, ha ha.

Anyway, those divari's Are they really that much better?

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WARRIOR
one of the biggest draw backs with the leica rangefinders is that they do not have angle compensation/correction when shooting up/or down steep hills...we came un stuck a bit in N.Z last year when hunting THAR , and shooting at long distance up steep hills 500 yards plus
Daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warrior:
The new Bushnell Elite scope:

The Bushnell is still the number one selling scope in the USA, despite Leupold's good reputation.

Warrior

I reckon price might have something to do with that.

--------------

I bought a Zeiss Conquest 3-10x40 a couple of weeks back, partly to see how it compared with my Leupold 3-9x40 VX-3/III scopes.
IMO there is little if any difference in full daylight but the Leupolds have a definite edge as light levels fall & the turret adjustments & markings are significantly better than those on the Zeiss.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zhurh:
Anyway, those divari's Are they really that much better?

Zhurh,

I own both a Leupold and a Zeiss Diavari and like both of them for what they are.

Yes, my Zeiss Diavari 6x42 mm is very clear and brighter than the Leupold.

Many may think a fixed scope is a relic of the past.

I like the Zeiss Diavari 6x42 mm in particular, as it is a 1" tube, sleek and light.

The Leupold remains the scope of choice for most people and is more affordable.

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Warrior, I'm going to look up that 6X42 Divari. Your opinion is appreciated, always read your posts. My buddy is from Yukon Territory, I'm here in Alaska. Most Alaskans I know buy Leupolds, most Canadians I know buy the Zeiss. I'm working on the buddy to trade guns for huntin season; maybe get to actually use a divari up on the summit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to look up that 6X42 Diavari.

In my humble opinion it is the best 6x scope money can buy. It is not expensive, far cheaper than the Zeiss variables.

Also, it is good out to 200 yards for the hunting of medium to large game. It is my default setting for medium distances in any event, as I get a 7x exit pupil (42 mm objective divided by the power of 6). Best view that the human eye can get and target acquisition is quick.

Eye-relief is constant, so you head position is the same position every time when you shoulder the rifle. Also, you never have to fiddle with any settings like power or parralax and your field of view (FOV) is large enough to follow a moving heard at 100 yds (as the power is turned up the FOV will reduce).

All in all it's very good for the conditions as I outlined above.
It is not a long-range scope or to shoot the best groups at a target.
But for most hunting it is great - I took a head shot at 145 yards, and it was good enough for that.

Basically the fixed-power scope force you to concentrate on the game and not on the scope itself.

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Warrior,

I agree with you on this! I also have a Zeiss Diatal ZA 4x32. For me the BEST 4x scope I have seen. The only "problem" is it has a 26 mm tube. A near perfect scopes for general Big Game hunting.

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the Website of Safari & Outdoor:

Zeiss Classic Diatal 6x42 T* Riflescopes are lightweight, high quality riflescopes that are perfect for any hunting application. The Zeiss Classic Diatal 6 x 42 Riflescope features a 42mm Objective Lens making it an ideal sized rifle scope that will give you a great view of your shot. The Classic Diatal Riflescope also has a fixed 6x magnification for close shots and a wide field of view.

In addition to these technical features is the brilliant image quality and high detail recognition of Zeiss Classic Riflescopes. The Classic Diatal 6x 42mm Rifle Scope contains Zeiss T* MultiCoatings, which increases light transmission and gives off a higher contrast. The Zeiss Classic Diatal 6x42mm T* Riflescope also features a rugged construction that is built to survive the toughest of conditions. The Zeiss Riflescope 's housing is made of solid aluminum making it strong and lightweight. The aluminum housing has an anodized surface that will protect the riflescope against scratches. The rifle scope is sealed tight, preventing dust and moisture from entering, and is also nitrogen filled to prevent the lens from fogging.

The performance of the Classic Diatal 6x42mm T* Riflescope by Zeiss does not disappoint as it is recoil-proof, and has an easy and precise sighting-in using the zeroed reticle adjustment and wear-resistant click mechanisms. These features of Zeiss Classic Diatal 6x42 T* Riflescopes make them high optical and mechanical quality rifle scopes that meet the requirements of serious hunters.

Magnification: 6x

Objective Lens: 42mm

Exit Pupil: 7.0mm

Twilight Factor: 15.9

Field of View / 100 yds: 21 ft

Eye Relief: 80mm

Dioptre Adjustment: - 4 / + 2 dpt.

Square adjustment range / 100 yds: 5.1 ft

Adjustment per click / 100 yds: 0.36 in

Parallax Free: 110 yds

Reticles Available: #4, #8

Diameter objective tube: 48mm

Diameter center tube: 1 in (25.4mm)

Diameter eyepiece tube: 41mm

Length: 12.7 in

Weight: 14.8 oz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Classic Diatal 6x 42mm Rifle Scope contains Zeiss T* MultiCoatings, which increases light transmission and gives off a higher contrast.

From Zeiss:

The unmatched T* (T-star) coating

The fact that lens coating technology – vapor deposition of a thin, even coating on the lens surface to reduce reflections and maximize transmission – was originally a Carl Zeiss patent is well known. The Zeiss company also developed and proved the efficacy of multi-layer coatings for photographic lenses, and this is the technology that became the T* coating.

Until the introduction of coated lenses, the lens surface would reflect a large percentage of the incoming light, thus reducing transmission and making it difficult to use multiple of elements in lens designs. Effective coatings made it possible to design more complex optics that delivered significantly improved performance. Reduced internal reflection contributed to minimum flare and high contrast.

The Carl Zeiss T* coating is not simply applied to any lens. The T* symbol only appears on multi-element lenses in which the required performance has been achieved throughout the entire optical path, and it is therefore a guarantee of the highest quality."

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked in Midway, Brownells, SWFA, Graf, and couldn't find a 6X42 Zeiss. They had variable divaris and zeiss but no straight 6X42. Where can I find one in USA?

I saw a zeiss 3X9 used for $350 on AK list but missed it.

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
I have to say i dont buy to many scopes. I used to, swapping them out when i got fed up with the annoying characteristics of whatever I was using, but now I have Zeiss Daivari's on all my rifles except my .22lr and one other.

I know they are frighteningly expensive but i look at it as an investment, I don’t anticipate ever having to buy another scope except if i acquire more rifles.

What you like in a scope is very subjective but for me and the shooting I do I love the Diavari's. I love the optical clarity and the superb performance at dusk, my favorite one being a 72mm objective monster, heavy but what a joy to use.

Posts: 7247 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*NEW* Vortex Viper HS Rifle Scopes:

An evolutionary upgrade, Vortex Viper HS riflescopes offer hunters and shooters an array of new-for-2011
features sure to be well received...

http://www.longrangehunting.co...es-65882/#post456741

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
EL50 Swarovision:

The new EL50 Swarovision binoculars by Swarovski Optik will appear in stores at the beginning of April 2011.

http://www.leicabinoculars.org...test-swarovski-optik

Warrior

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I just started looking at 6x scopes about a week ago. I never saw a Zeiss 6x at any web site (USA). Not too many 6x out there.

Leupold - FX-2 299.99
Weaver - K-6 149.99
Vortex - Crossfire 114.00

Leupold - FX-3 399.99
Sightron - SII 398.44
Sightron - SII 225.25
Schmidt-Bender 1189.00

quote:
Originally posted by Zhurh:
I looked in Midway, Brownells, SWFA, Graf, and couldn't find a 6X42 Zeiss. They had variable divaris and zeiss but no straight 6X42. Where can I find one in USA?

I saw a zeiss 3X9 used for $350 on AK list but missed it.

Posts: 6435 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The following notice appears on Gamo's website having been the US distributor for Kahles products for just about a year or bit more:

http://www.gamooutdoorusa.com/Announcement.html

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Kahles. As of April 19th, 2011, Gamo Outdoor USA is no longer providing distribution, customer service or warranty service for Kahles Optics.

For any question please contact Kahles directly:

By phone: (866) 606-8779
By email: info@kahles.at
Through the web: www.kahles.at

For repairs please send your product to:

Kahles Service Center
2 Slater Rd.
Cranston, RI 02920

Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KAHLES History

1898 - Karl Robert Kahles merged the Simon Plössl Company and the Opto-Mechanical Workshop of Karl Fritsch in Vienna and found the KAHLES Company.

1900 - KAHLES introduced the legendary TELORAR riflescope in five different magnifications. Precise and reliable, these early KAHLES riflescopes soon became highly respected by hunters everywhere. At the same time, KAHLES offered binoculars and telescopes for astronomic viewing.

1908 - Following the founders sudden death, the second generation - Ernst and Karl Kahles - took charge and expanded the product range. Some of the MIGNON scopes produced during this time are still used by hunters.

1926 - Kahles introduced the first HELIA-series riflescope - a brilliant scope with a wide field of view.

1939 - An economic regime is imposed on KAHLES to produce military products for the ‘Wehrmacht’. KAHLES products of that time are marked with the military code ‘CAD’.

1945 - Following severe damage during the World War II, Friedrich Kahles III undertook the task of rebuilding the company. This skilled physicist, specialized in rifle scope production led the company to new levels of success again.

1949 - KAHLES developed one of the first variable power rifle scopes.

1960 - Kahles as the first optical manufacturer introduced the waterproof rifle scopes by utilizing O-rings for
sealing (a KAHLES-patent). Soon KAHLES improved the HELIA-model further presenting the legendary HELIA SUPER-series.

1972 - KAHLES was the first rifle scope manufacturer implementing multi-coating on all air-to-glass surfaces in
series production. The new KAHLES-AMV coating (Achromatische Mehrschicht Vergütung) for the very first time, allowed light transmission of more than 90% which is a standard for fine rifle scopes up till now. The new generation of HELIA scopes continues to set higher standards for precision optics, even under extreme conditions.

1998 - On the occassion of their 100 year anniversary, KAHLES again set a new milestone in rifle scope history, presenting their new HELIA COMPACTS. With high optical performance, and incredible wide field of view, advanced compact design and typical KAHLES-Ruggedness, hunters everywhere quickly make KAHLES their first choice.

2000 - A new line of KAHLES binoculars once again reestablishes the long tradition of precision optical performance, rugged construction and a strong price value relationship that many have come to respect on Kahles products.

2003 - The new HELIA CSX-line with digital dimming control sets new standards in optical performance and ergonomic design.

2005 - The new HELIA CS-line with the innovative multizero™ elevation adjustments opens a new era in ballistic drop compensation for hunting. The new HELIA CBX-line with digital dimming control for night hunting is the specialist on the edge of physics.

2006 – The new HELIA CL-line with serially parallax adjustment and optional multizero™ micromechanics allows the shooter to zero the riflescope in up to five different shooting distances.

2007 – The new innovative on- and off-automatic mechanism for all HELIA CSX and CBX models. A HELIA generation of riflescopes that sets new standards. New standards in optics, electronics and ease of operation.

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding Kahles. As of April 19th, 2011, Gamo Outdoor USA is no longer providing distribution, customer service or warranty service for Kahles Optics.

Further to the above notice, it seems that Bear Basin Outfitters is selling scopes by mail order in the USA.

http://www.bearbasin.com/kahles-scopes.htm

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
July 29th, 2011

Schmidt & Bender Wins $34 Million U.S. Military Scope Contract

There are many quality rivals in the high-end tactical optics market, but it appears that Schmidt & Bender remains “top dog”, at least for the U.S. Special Forces community. Schmidt & Bender, was awarded a $34,209,500 firm-fixed-price contract for precision sniper rifle dayscope, mounting rings, spare parts, repairs and upgrades. The scope will be a special version of S&B’s 5-25x56mm PMII.

It’s not clear how many scope units are to be delivered under the contract, which had five bidders. The Naval Surface Warfare Center is the contracting activity (N00164-11-D-JQ31), and the contract is expected to be completed by June 2016. The scopes will be built in Biebertal, Germany.

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New scope from Meopta - MeoStar R1 1,5-6X42 RD:-

http://www.meopta.com/en/meost...2-rd-1404043230.html

Warrior