THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Comments on leading scope manufacturers and their latest offerings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comments on leading scope manufacturers and their latest offerings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 mm Illuminated Rifle Scope (the 1-inch tube version) is in deed a popular choice for most American and South Africans, as they have been well presented in both countries with a full lifetime guarantee. It also comes at a more affordable price than the mostly 30 mm tube European dangerous game scopes such as Zeiss, S&B and Kahles. This model sells for $600 at Optics Planet.

The whole of the VX3 line has been upgraded with:

an Extended Twilight Lens System,
Diamond Coat 2 lens coating,
blackened lens edges,
second generation waterproofing,
twin bias spring erector spring exerts up to 30 percent more holding force on the erector,
cryogenically treated adjustments.

The reticle might still be a wire reticle and not an etched one on the lens.
The etched reticles are superior on hard kicking cartridges though.

I would have no hesitation to buy this scope as it has been upgraded recently to make it more attractive.
The 30 mm tube may offer certain benefits but the for sunny Africa the 25 mm tube is adequate.
The Kahles may be superior in many respects because of the extra mile they have gone in their CSX version.
But I do believe most hunters will go for the Leupold because of service and warranty.
I think value for money the VX3 is as good buy even if it is a compromise on certain features.
I believe most Americans and South Africans still prefer by and large 1-inch tube scopes.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
My remarks were aimed at the quoted comparison.

The cost aspect IS very important when making a comparison, otherwise it would appear reasonable to use Kahles & Hawke to show the superiority of the former.
Your suggestion the Mk4 still doesn't equate to comparing like with like - a balanced match for the Kahles would be against the Schmidt and Bender Zenith 1.1–4x24 or Zeiss Victory Varipoint 1.1-4x24

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite so buddy.
Leupold is not quite up there yet, but at a price.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NightForce NXS 1-4x24 mm is a new addition for Nightforce and may be not so well known amongst hunters. It is a 30 mm tube scope and it sells for around $1200 to $1250.

The scope has an objective lens assembly that focuses light rays more precisely for exceptional image clarity and color accuracy. Nightforce scopes also feature multi-coated lenses and convenient target turrets. Illuminated reticle models run on a CR2032 battery. It was designed for running shots, dense brush and hunting of dangerous game.

Features:

•Compact, Rugged Design
•Unique Side-Mounted Adjustable Illumination Turret
•Speed and accuracy in all hunting situations, from close to long range
•Rigorously tested for perfection
•Composed of 6061-T6 Aircraft Grade Aluminum
•Completely Waterproof and Weather Resistant
•Proprietary titanium beta erector spring that delivers three to four times the spring pressure of other scopes

SPECIFICATIONS:

• 1-4x24 NXS
• Magnification: 1-4x
• Objective Diameter: 24mm
• Exit Pupil Diameter: 16mm @ 1x 6mm @ 4x
• Field Of View: 100ft @ 1x 25ft @4x
• Eye Relief: 3.5in (90mm)
• Internal Adjustment Range: 100moa elev. 100moa wind.
• Click Value: .250moa
• Tube Diameter: 30mm (1.18in)
• Ocular Diameter: 33mm
• Mounting Length: 5.4in
• Weight: 17oz (1-4x)
• Overall Length: 8.8in
• Reticles: NP-1, FC-2, Mil-Dot

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold VX-7 range is being discontinued, and this includes their dangerous game scope as well - the VX-7 1.5-6x24 mm scope, also a 30 mm tube scope. This range is going to be replaced by the 6x erector version and will most probably go by the name of VX-6.

Warrior

PS: I do believe that the VX-6 has in fact been launched at the Shot Show in Vegas.

"VX-6 scopes replace the discontinued VX-7 as the highest end hunting scope line Leupold makes. As the name suggests, these are scope with 6x erector ratios and they come, for now, in two configurations: 1-6x24 and 2-12x42, both built on 30mm maintubes with fast focus eyepieces. 1-6x24 is available with duplex and #4 non-illuminated reticles, while the 2-12x42 comes either with duplex or B&C. These scopes will retail for a touch under $1000, I think. Glass looked pretty good and all mechanical controls seemed to be well sorted out. They kept the weight under control nicely and I expect these to do well in the market place. Every time Leupold has tried to market a high end hunting scope, it ended up crossing into $1k+ price range and not doing too well. I really hope that VX-6 will do better. Here is the rather trim-looking 1-6x24 VX-6."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention, the impressive thing about the VX-7 was the fact that they had the following feature built in and I quote from their website ... "Dual Spring, 4x erector system is designed to withstand the most devastating recoil. It virtually eliminates erector system backlash and stress on the internal workings of the system, for longer life."

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...i saw this write-up on scope offerings at shot 2011 on the 24hr campfire website...

...apparently, khales is still being distributed state-side (through gamo, its us distributor)...

http://opticsthoughts.com/inde...w-write-ups&Itemid=8

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JHunter,

Thanks for sharing the link.

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warrior, I sent you a message

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good article for the beginners. Once you have spent hours and hours going over reticle mark subtensions and putting data into ballistic programs for almost all the different reticles, it seems pretty simplistic. Before the Zeiss RapidZ Calculator I used to give myself headaches trying to figure out predictable POI at the longer ranges for certain trajectories at different power settings.

With SFP just remember "to impact lower raise the power". IIRC bewildered Or was it "to raise POI lower the power"? Oh....same thing! Big Grin

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods,

Technology is marching on, hold-over reticles are becoming redundant and no longer do we have to face the clutter. On You Tube we can see a video clip of what Zeiss is doing with their ballistic turrets to adjust for different ranges and belief that is the way of the future and other scope manufacturers will follow.

I have never liked the various cluttered up reticles. The Mill-Dot application in the tactical scenario is another matter, but for hunting at practical distances I simply do not need hold-over reticles, as I know the trajectory of my bullet/load combination as well as the PBR technique as to my rifles capability as very practical guideline.

I am not saying there is no place for these hold-over reticles, but personally I do not like them.

Warrior

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I can understand if you don't like the reticles. Different strokes for different folks and it takes all kinds to fill the freeway kinda stuff. I have been working with them for years and years and have got used to them. The "clutter" is non existant for me and has never caused a problem.

For me it makes me feel uncomfortable to have just a plain reticle, like getting in a vehicle and going somewhere without a mobile phone. Like an itch I can't scratch. Guess for me it is worrysome about "what if" I wanted to shoot at something that was at long distance. For years before ballistic reticles I shot by guessing at hold over and know that it doesn't always work.

What makes me feel uncomfortable is turrets but I am working on it. It worries me that if I want to take a long shot I won't have time to "crank". It worries me that if I have to take a quick shot that I won't have time to check the turret to see if it has moved from incidental contact with clothes or brush. It worries me that the tall turret could catch on brush and be rotated full circle or more (besides extra tall turrets like on Loop-olds are just plain ugly! stir ).

You'll notice that all of these personal problems stem from worries correlated to field or hunting use. If I had a dedicated bench gun or target gun then turrets wouldn't bother me.

There are a couple of things that take the worries out of cranking and hunting for me. One is to have a turret cap and the other is to have a zero stop. I have 2 of the Kahles 4x12x52 Multi Zeros and don't mind cranking at all with them, although I have taken a shot (at the range) and discovered that I had not returned the turret to zero after the last shot.

So for me a reticle looks naked without some kind of dots or lines for holdovers. Life is a compromise. You can choose to have the simplicity of a plain reticle with the complications of tall turrets, plugging variables into ballistic programs, figuring out number of clicks and twirling turrets. Or you can have a complicated reticle and not have any other complications at all except for verifying POI at the range.

To each his own and choices should be made according to use.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Various systems are coming our way by way of technology improvements, unthinkable just some 40 years ago taking us back to the - Kahles offers the Multi-zero system, Zeiss have their system and so does Swarovski to which I provide the following link - interesting to watch and amazingly easy to use once set up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKegyDxukHc

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the Multi-Zero of Kahles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmsI8L73rFw

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Life is a compromise. You can choose to have the simplicity of a plain reticle with the complications of tall turrets, plugging variables into ballistic programs, figuring out number of clicks and twirling turrets. Or you can have a complicated reticle and not have any other complications at all except for verifying POI at the range.

To each his own and choices should be made according to use.

Tee hee hee!...woods WRONG AGAIN!

That's exactly why I have 2 VX3 6.5-20 Varmint Hunter's Reticle, Long Range (30mm tube), Side Focus, WITH TARGET KNOBS...AND CAPS on my hunting rifles!

Here's the one on my .264 Winchester Magnum

I have the same scope with the Varmint Hunter hold over reticle and target knobs on my .243 WSSM.

No compromise or worries at all!

For a quick shot, hold over with the reticle that you have confirmed at range.

For an instance where precision is needed and time is no concern, remove the cap and dial accurate data! You don't "count" clicks! If you have a scope made by someone other than the Ray Charles Scope Co., the knobs have numbers on them! You don't plug variables into a ballistic program while hunting; your data is taped to the stock!

Range the target with your Leicas, look at your data, dial it to the proper number, and fire!

Caps cover the knobs...no screw ups.

As for forgetting to return the knob to -0-, that seems like a case of "sometimer's" and maybe some ginko biloba is in order!

jumping

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post

=

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

=

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods,

2 beauties that you are showing here.
Give us a comparison and which one you prefer.
Or is is like two beauty pageants and you just cannot choose?

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

=

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

=

Big Grin

You're right Warrior! Anyone would have a tough time choosing between those two beauties!

jumping

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warrior:
Woods,

2 beauties that you are showing here.
Give us a comparison and which one you prefer.
Or is is like two beauty pageants and you just cannot choose?

Warrior

2.5x10x50x30mm Zeiss Diavari V/VM T* on the top rifle - I have had that one for 15 years or so and it was my main scope until lately. The reason I bought it was because of a couple of hunting experiences that caused me to reassess my ideas on scopes regarding field of views. Before that I was into high powered hunting scopes like 6x24's or so and had a couple of times that I found it hard to get a sight picture on game animals with monochromatic backgrounds and moving game animals at close distances. The Diavari had the widest FOV at 43.5' at 100 yds on 2.5 power and you get an instant sight picture when you throw up the rifle. It is also very very bright in low light when the higher powered scopes were pitiful! It is a first focal plane 4A reticle and the reticle gets large enough at 2.5 power to actually see in the twilight when other scopes are unusable. For the above reasons it is unparalleled for use when you have
  • Shots that must be taken in seconds
  • Shots when you have very little light
  • Shots that are on moving game animals
  • Shots in thick cover or on hard to pick out animals

However the thick crosshair at 10 power make it less accurate at distances of 300 yards or more and may obscure so much of the target it is hard to "aim small". Cost then was $1500 and now is $1800 with resale ~$1,000

The 4x12x52x1" Kahles MultiZero (I have 2) on the lower rifle I bought for $600 about 4 years ago on GunBroker. The glass on it is as good as the Diavari and it is just a touch brighter. On a sunny day at the bench I have to put on my sunglasses to shoot through it Wink kind of bright! It is now a discontinued but IIRC the FOV was ~35' or so. Again, FOV is very important to me on a hunting scope, the first thing I look at before purchasing (hunting experiences).

The MultiZero system is easy and I have had no trouble on either of the scopes I have. On the elevation turret there are 3 modes that you can move the pointer to, A, B & C

Move the pointer to mode A and zero your rifle as normal. The reticle will move up and down without the zero stop being set. After zeroing move the pointer to mode B and rotate the turret counter clockwise until it stops. You have just set the Zero Stop at your chosen distance. Then move the pointer to mode C and you are ready to set the marks and shoot away

Now there are 6 marks on the turret that you can set anywhere you want. For instance I zero mine at 200 yds (no mark needed since the turret will always stop there) and put the marks at 300, 400, 500 & 600 yards. Pics may help almost anyone except rc who refuses to see the benefits and calls them the "Ray Charles" scopes

turret pointer on zero stop and 300 yd mark showing to the right

pointer set on 400 yds and 300 yd mark showing on the left

but you can also interpolate between the marks for any yardage

the silver levels with the marks on them are indented and are under a little pressure so they do not move unless you physically do so but can be moved with the point of a pen or the tool that comes with the scope

The turret comes with a cap and is not extra tall like in rc's example.

The Kahles is on my main hunting rifle a 280AI built on a Sako SS action with a Hart barrel and I love to take it hunting.

Bash away rc!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bash away rc!

It will be my pleasure!!

quote:

For instance I zero mine at 200 yds (no mark needed since the turret will always stop there) and put the marks at 300, 400, 500 & 600 yards. Pics may help almost anyone except rc who refuses to see the benefits and calls them the "Ray Charles" scopes

turret pointer on zero stop and 300 yd mark showing to the right

pointer set on 400 yds and 300 yd mark showing on the left

but you can also interpolate between the marks for any yardage

the silver levels with the marks on them are indented and are under a little pressure so they do not move unless you physically do so but can be moved with the point of a pen or the tool that comes with the scope

First of all, I challenge ANYONE on the board to tell us what any of the above scopes are set to in the way of yardageor units dialed either up or down without the doctored pics.

If anyone says they can they're fibbing. Ray Charles has an equal chance of getting it right.

This is a HUGE problem in any pressure situation like getting a once-in-a-lifetime shot at a trophy at an extended range or shooting targets in a timed situation. You want things you can see and are obvious as to their meaning, not something like Braille....

Second HUGE problem with the "target knob" is "interpolating" what to dial for yardages in between the 100's.

You mean "guessing".

This scope is a far cry from the best alternative scope if you actually want to hit a target that isn't within PBR.

Can anyone imagine a Marine sniper outfitted with a scope with such an elevation knob? There would be absolute mutiny!

The proper way:

• Develop an accurate load
  • Chronograph the load
  • Plug all the variables of the load (Bullet BC, Velocity, Atmosphere etc.) into a ballistic program such as JBM (free) or one run on a PDA.
  • Go to the range, sight in, dial outputted data on a scope with target knobs marked in MOA or mRad and confirm drop/wind data by actual shooting out to whatever range you want.
  • Print basic data and attach to your rifle for quick reference.

Now this is for those who actually want to hit what they aim at as far as their rifle will shoot. Others may have better ideas.

woods,

I don't know how many times I've offered/posted this, but please come to one of the Sporting Rifle Matches and put your method/equipment to the test. There's no better way that I can show you the err of your ways!
  •  
    One of Us
    Picture of woods
    posted Hide Post
    rc, rc, rc ...... shame

I would love to come shoot with you for the fun of it and maybe one day I will, have way too many old dogs and old women around here to get away. But you want me to come play your game.

Look Warrior has posted much excellent information, much of it on dangerous game scopes. Why don't you challenge him to come shoot your course with one of the low power DG scopes? That would be ridiculous, right!

Well, I am discussing and showing scopes that are about 1/2 way between the purposes of a DG scope and your target shooting scopes. I'm sure that you do not think your 6.5x20 VX3 (FOV of 14.2' at 100 yds Eeker ) would be applicable when hunting Lions in thick brush in Africa and also wouldn't think the aforementioned Nightforce 1x4x24 scope (FOV 100' at 100 yds) would do much good at your course.

For my purposes of Elk, Deer and Hogs at ranges from 25 to 600 yds, I much prefer the 25' to 45' FOV scopes I use. Where I hunt shots can happen quick and sometimes at close range.

You use yours for your purposes, I'll use mine for mine.

Have I ever said that my scopes would be the best for your course? Don't think so. But don't think you would have been able to make a shot I have made at a running buck at 30 yards across a sendero, it happened in 5 seconds and you wouldn't have been able to get a sight picture, but then again maybe you would. Maybe someone will come out there and win your course with a DG scope too.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    About 90% of the targrets are within 500 yards at the SRM. It's designed and set up to simulate hunting shots. You seem to have the notion that we are shooting rediculously long ranges where a dedicated target rig is the only thing that works.

Not so

Your rigs will do just fine, EXCEPT FOR THE SCOPE. That's what this thread is all about and what being able to accurately put bullets on target is all about whether it is a 10" vital of an animal or a 10" steel plate...

What's the difference?

If I were hunting DG where shots are within shotgun range, I wouldn't even clutter my receiver with a scope when my life and others depend on it.

I can't believe you didn't like my picture analogies!!

They were funny as hell!!

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    BTW, the offer to shoot together has nothing to do with competition at all or some need to beat you. It's truly a forthright offer to shoot with a buddy

I consider you a buddy Big Grin

We would have a blast and a great day in the field!

One of Us
    Picture of woods
    posted Hide Post
    We're cool rc

Yeah your pics were funny just like my pic of those high handle bars were funny

BTW, since you are having a hard time with un-numbered markings, what time does this clock say?

A certain amount of familiarity with equipment is assumed, no? Big Grin

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    We're cool rc

Yeah your pics were funny just like my pic of those high handle bars were funny

BTW, since you are having a hard time with un-numbered markings, what time does this clock say?

A certain amount of familiarity with equipment is assumed, no? Big Grin

Sure.

But when you put it to the test, you'll see that there are better alternatives.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Here is a nice target for sighting in that assists to line the cross hairs up, even for lower power scopes, as the subtensions of your scope can be 1" wide at a hundred yards, and still fit into the white spaces forming a plus sign (+).

http://www.protargets.com/targets/cross-6.gif

Warrior

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Hey woods!

Have you seen this new March Scope; the link was on HC's Mildot thread. Looks like what the doctor ordered for you!

When I was surfing the March site, I never could find a FF plane offering.

Does anyone know if this is their first?

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    The new Bushnell Elite 6500 range is out already and being advertised in the local press, but there is no update on the Bushnell website as yet ... strange.

From the advertisment, evidently there are 4 models, all 30 mm tubes & 6.5x erectors:

1-6.5x24 (FOV= 35.7 m @ 100m)
    1.25-8x32
    2.5-16x50
    4.5-30x50

Here we have a new contender in the DG category with the 1-6.5x24. This model comes out with an etched reticle and has been designed with moving game in mind (driven hunts). Bushnell may have a winner here, but only time will tell.

Two models will have illuminated 4A reticles, this is new and a welcome offering, and should be just what many is looking for (the popular 4A reticle is not being offered widely by Japanese, Philipine, Chinese made scopes, and not even by Leopold in most of their models, save for a costly retro-fit:

1-6.5x24
    2.5-16x50

The illuminated reticle also offers gigital intensity adjustment.
    Recoil tested - 10,000 rounds of 375 H&H

I am getting the impression that Bushnell, who holds the biggest scope market share in the USA, is stepping it up. So far we have not seen or read about any other Elite models.

Warrior

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by rcamuglia:
    Hey woods!

Have you seen this new March Scope; the link was on HC's Mildot thread. Looks like what the doctor ordered for you!

I wonder if March would charge an extra fee to "upgrade" the factory numbered elevation and windage turrets with some blank ones? stir

jumping

One of Us
    Picture of woods
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by rcamuglia:
    Hey woods!

I like it

but don't see a price. What do you think they mean when they say

quote:
    Additionally, with the capability to set any position as the zero point in elevation, the shooter will never lose their starting calibration.

Sounds like a zero stop to me

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Yep!

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Has anybody bought one of Weaver's 80th Anniversary K4 steel scope?
    Would like to hear how this commemorative scope rates.
    They were ib limited supply, and I see some are advertised on close-out.

Thanks
    Warrior

One of Us
    posted Hide Post

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Perhaps a little known fact is that Karl Kaps made the scopes for the German Army's G3/HK91. Kaps also made the 4x24 G3 "sniper-scope" alongside Hensoldt for the German Army. They also offer a new KAPS 2.5-10 x 50 FFP tactical scope for the military and the police service. Their variable scopes are all FFP. Anyway here is another piece of information on this quality scope manufacturer:

"Karl Kaps GmbH was founded in 1946 in Asslar, Germany near the city of Wetzlar, an area known for producing world-class optics. During its proud 50 year history Karl Kaps GmbH has built an excellent reputation in over 70 countries as a leading manufacturer of surgical and operating microscopes used in various microsurgical disciplines such as Dental, ENT, Ophthalmology, Gynaecology, Neurosurgery, hand and plastic surgery and the dental field. Today the company is in its third generation of family ownership and is managed by Mr. Holger Kaps.

In addition to producing examination and surgical microscopes, we also produce colposcopes, slit lamps and rifle scopes. The company also produces a full range of optical and mechanical OEM replacement parts according customer specifications.

The strength of our company lies in providing unique solutions and technology to suit the customers' individual requirements by utilizing state-of-the-art design, development and manufacturing facilities, which are approved to ISO 9001 and CE standards."

Address:
    Karl Kaps
    Europastrasse
    35614 Asslar
    Germany

Phone: +49 6441 80 70 40
    Fax: +49 6441 85 98 5
    Internet: http://www.kaps-optik.de
    E-Mail: info@kaps-optik.de

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    New bushnell Elite scope for 2011

"I just got off the phone with Bushnell and will answer My own question for those who would like to know. The Bushnell guy said that the Elite scopes are nothing more than the old 4200 scopes with an upgraded broadband coating to improve color perception and instead of useing dry nitrigen the new Elite scopes will use Argon gas to prevent fogging (also an improvement) no difference in eye releif or scope specs at all other than these two improvements, the new Elite scopes will stay in the same price range as current 4200 models, he also said that Bushnell has dropped the 3200 line for 2011 which is a little sad to Me, I love the little 3200 3-10x40 SA scope I have on My coyote rifle" ...... Hillbilly.

There is a change in that some models, apparently 2 of them, will now be in China.
    The rest will still be made in Japan.
    These are the 2 models made in China.

3-9x40 mm with side-focus and the 3-9x50 mm with side-focus

The 4200 Elite 2.5-10x40 mm model is still made in Japan and the preferred one obviously.

The China models are selling for far cheaper than the Japanese ones.
    Looks like a test run to me, but getting the top-line of Bushnell made in 2 countries
    will create confusion if not discontent with would be buyers, I think.

Warrior

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Oldtrader306-28-2010, 09:14 AM

"I would choose the Model 70 Winchester but that is because I have owned 20 of them during my lifetime. The Vanguard and Vanguard Sub-MOA are great rifles though and I like them from what I have seen and heard, never having owned one.

Pricing seems to be softening on the 3x magnification range of riflescopes. Zeiss is already selling the 3-9x40 Conquest for $300. and Leupold has broken pricing controls on the VXII models. I think that the 3-9, 4-12 and 4.5 -14 scopes will soften in price. The reason that I say that is because the premium makers (ie the Austrian and German makers) have moved on to 5x and 6x magnification.

This puts the VX3 and Conquest behind the technology curve for magnification ranges. This will cause discounting in the future. Now I really don't care a whole lot whether my scope is 4-12x42 or 2-12x42. The European 3x scopes have already been discounted and are largely gone, unless you can still find one somewhere.

So, hide and watch. Technology marches on!"

Warrior

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Battle of the 6x scopes: - Leupold FX-3 vs Zeiss Diatal

We were just having a discussion here in a gunshop this morning as to the applicability of fixed scopes, as the variable scopes are much more reliable today than 30 years ago. I was surprised to still hear that some would not consider throwing off their 6x scopes. The 6x scopes are still ideal for mid-range hunting where it is unlikely that game will be encountered under a 100 meters, but obviously not as flexible than the traditional 3-9's. The fixed scopes offer constant eye-relief and maximum exit pupil; all assisting quick target acquisition.

In 1-inch tube configuration, the 2 best choices in my opinion currently available here in SA is the Leupold and the Zeiss, having looked at the Sighton and Lynx. We have 3 options in these two brands:

Scope Brand ------ Retail ------ Length --- Weight ---- FOV @ 100 yds ---- Eye-relief ----

Fx-II: 3x36 mm --- R4,282 ---- 11.4" ----- 10.0 oz ------- 17.7 ft ---------- 4.3" or 109 mm

FX-3: 6x42 mm --- R5,442 ---- 13.2" ----- 13.6 oz ------- 17.3 ft ---------- 4.4" or 113 mm

Zeiss 6x42 mm --- R8,500 ---- 12.7" ----- 14.8 oz ------- 21.0 ft ---------- 3.1" or 80 mm

One criticism though, the Zeiss has a short eye relief, limiting its use at 375 H&H level of recoil to avoid getting punched on the eyebrow. However, the Zeiss is very bright and target acquisition is very quick, whilst offering the best FOV by far. Zeiss is legendary for its T* (Star) coatings which ensures to let more light through per each lens. Its No.4 reticle is also the best in comparison with what Leupold offers. The price differtial is 56% more, but the Zeiss is arguably the best money can buy. The S&B 6x42 mm is also top class, but comes in a 30 mm tube and it is heavier and bulkier.

It is clear from the above that FOV and eye-relief are two conflicting goals; the one robs the other.

The FX-3 offers slightly better optics though than the much sleeker FX-2 scope.
    Leupold offers a much longer eye-relief and so can be mounted on higher recoiling rifles.

IOR offers a fantastic 6x42 mm scope, but is not being imported into our country, but it is also a 30 mm tube scope and weighs 20 oz. Unlike other European scopes this Romanian product offers a 4" eye-relief, and they offer a highly acclaimed tactical version as well for the military. However, the 35 mm tube Benchrest versions are now coming into the country. IOR is using high quality glass made by Schott Glasswerk, Germany. If you want to know more, go here: http://www.valdada.com/

The unmatched T* (T-star) coating: -

The fact that lens coating technology – vapor deposition of a thin, even coating on the lens surface to reduce reflections and maximize transmission – was originally a Carl Zeiss patent is well known. The Zeiss company also developed and proved the efficacy of multi-layer coatings for photographic lenses, and this is the technology that became the T* coating.

Until the introduction of coated lenses, the lens surface would reflect a large percentage of the incoming light, thus reducing transmission and making it difficult to use multiple of elements in lens designs. Effective coatings made it possible to design more complex optics that delivered significantly improved performance. Reduced internal reflection contributed to minimum flare and high contrast.

The Carl Zeiss T* coating is not simply applied to any lens. The T* symbol only appears on multi-element lenses in which the required performance has been achieved throughout the entire optical path, and it is therefore a guarantee of the highest quality.

Warrior

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    In 30 mm-tube configuration we have:

Scope Brand ------ Retail ------ Length --- Weight ---- FOV @ 100 yds ---- Eye-relief ----

S&B: 6x42 mm --- $1,139 ---- 13.20" ----- 18.0 oz ------- 21.0 ft ---------- 3.27" or 83 mm

IOR: 6x42 mm ----- $695 ----- 12.75" ----- 20.0 oz ------- 29.0 ft ---------- 4.00 or 100 mm

The IOR beat all brands in terms of FOV by far, despite a long eye-relief.
    The IOR Tactical version offers the highest spec, complying with military standards and can be seen here:

http://www.valdada.com/product...7b-0de60f51c636.aspx

Warrior

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    ...fwiw, i received this email from leica today:

Dear friends of Leica,

The LEICA MAGNUS riflescopes with their innovative illuminated reticle set new standards in terms of zoom range, transmission, field of view and ruggedness.

Subject
    Leica Magnus Rifle Scopes

The Premium Class for All Hunting Needs.
    Magnus Riflescopes.

Get to know our latest development. Magnus riflescopes with red-dot technology. The ultimate in premium quality, with uncompromising optical precision and mature engineering – to ensure that you are best equipped for any hunting situation. Even on big-game hunts in Africa. In addition to their fantastically sharp, high-contrast red dot with finely adjustable brightness, the most important features of all three models are a 60-step day/night mode, excellent light transmission characteristics, and extraordinarily high contrast. All of which guarantee an accurate aim even under the most unfavorable lighting conditions. A wide field of view, a zoom factor of up to 6.7×, and smart, battery-saving on/off electronics round off their outstanding set of performance characteristics. For more information click here.