New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell Firefly Reticles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How long do these stay bright after hitting them with the flashlight?

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kinda depends on the power of the light and how long you leave it on. the more powerful the flashlight and the longer you hold it the longer the illumination. One of the things i don't like about the system. shinning a light when prime hunting time is on.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not real fond of them myself, you have to "time" when and how much light to hit them with, otherwise, they're too bright for dim light conditions and if it isn't really dim, you don't need them to start with. Obviously much more expensive, but a variable illuminated reticle is much better IMO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I think I'll pass. The shining a light when the game's afoot doesn't seem too good.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think if you were out in the open, charging the reticle with a flashlight would be detrimental to stealth.

I use one, and with a tiny 1 LED (white) flashlight I can charge one up for use from dusk until the walk home.

I just cup my hand over the occular, and shine the the LED into the lens for 30 to 60 seconds (60 seconds is better, but I'm lazy).

I like them better than a battery powered reticle just due to the fact that I don't forget to turn them off. I do that all the time with battery powered scopes.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one rifle with a Firefly reticle, & find it quite useful in black timber. I agree with Garrett; you don't have to remember to turn them off. It also does not add weight like the battery units do. It's easy to charge, & has not weakened or changed over time.

Posts: 70 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Good scope EXCEPT for the fire-fly part. To me, the almost white-light of the reticle decreases what you can see to shoot at, and having to shine a light to activate it while in a blind is tough to do without the chance of alerting the game. I shot a leopard out of a blind with mine on a 375 H&H. It was so dark, I would have to close my eyes, and open them for a moment to see a sight picture. When a leopard was suddenly in the scope, the UN-illuminated crosshairs were easily visible behind his shoulder.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote