New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After reading a post on another forum... Got me curious about lion hunts...

How many have gone lion hunting and actually shot a lion?

How many without?

Thanks!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Two 21 day hunts for Lion; one Lion. But I turned down a PH offered young male in the Selous some 11 years ago. Got my big male 3 years later in the Mwanya concession of Zambia on day #11. Finding a mature male Lion may take some time and multiple hunts.

BTW, leaving for my place on the north shore of Kauai in two weeks. Anything to hunt there?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me think.

In 4 trips to TZ, I took one lion. I turned down immature males on one trip.

In 4 attempts in Zim, I took 4. Granted, 3 were cattle killers taken on a single night.

In one other attempt, I took one.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
21 days in Zambia - 0 lion.

Hopefully trying again in 2013 or 2014.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
L-B, you might be referring to the post I made on the "Mokore lion for sale" thread?

As I mentioned there, I am personally 11 for 14 - 85% (sorry, as hunt99 pointed out - its actually 78.57%) plus I have participated in 5 lion hunts with clients, all successful. So, the 19 lion hunts I have been on, we killed 16 lions (82.4% success) Clients of mine over the past 10 yrs, 80% plus - successful.

1. Certainly some guys have gone to very good places, and just had bad luck - that happens! I know I have, and I know Larry Shores has too - for example.

2. More often, I have seen guys hunting places that lion success is marginal at best, but maybe the price was right, etc.

3. Other times I've seen guys hunting places that, as a general rule, do not produce the kind of lion they are really looking for, but for some reason - they booked the hunt to this location?

4. Just because someone has a "PH" license, does NOT instantly make them a good cat hunter. I've seen alot of good ones, but I've seen a couple that didn't have the 1st clue how to kill a cat!

5. Lastly, as an addition to #2 - take Zambia for example. I've taken a couple of great lions in Zambia, and my clients have taken some exceptional lions in Zambia, at a success rate of over 90%. But without question, there as many GMA's in Zambia that I WOULD NOT book a lion hunt in, than those that I would. Just going to Zambia, means very little as it pertains to likelihood of success. Its mostly about location, some luck, and lastly - a good cat hunting PH.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could have shot a maneless lion in Kigosi but did not. Then again, it was a deal where I essentially paid half and if I shot a lion, I "upgraded."

Instead, I watched the lion mate.

Second trip I shot a lion on Day 16 of a 21 day.

I am thinking hard about going to Zambia. As MR said once, there is nothing like a 21 day full bag hunt.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
10 days in Zimbabwe and I got my lion (lioness in my case) on day 9. Funny how thing work out... baits were getting hit by male lions and female leopards until the end of the trip and I had a female lion and male leopard on license.

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 hunts, got one on the second try.

Posts: 10769 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real interesting stuff here folks tu2

I have great admiration for your dedication to hunt them... especially in regards to knowing it may take MULTIPLE safaris, many days afield, and of course your hard-earned dollars.

Thanks for sharing AWESOME beer

Administrator
posted Hide Post
About 20 lions hunts and only managed to shoot 6.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67383 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
As larrysellers said on another thread, Lion hunting is expensive. I'd bet that most who hunt seriously for a large, mature male Lion, will spend many days afield before they have success. Settling is probably easier than going home empty handed, in most cases.

Almost all the Lion hunters I know are at or below 50% on "good" Lion. Even Saeed is below 50% on Lion.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I now realize it's a SUPER major investment to HUNT the African lion.... and it should be all things considered!

I'm not in this league...

But if I was...
dang, PERSONALLY I would want proof by order of a game-cam that there is a mature lion on bait in the area before my boots hit the dirt rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
My only lion is shown with my posts. It was a 21-day hunt in Zambia's Mumbwa area near Kafue National Park in 1994. I shot this big male the second day.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
My only lion is shown with my posts. It was a 21-day hunt in Zambia's Mumbwa area near Kafue National Park in 1994. I shot this big male the second day.

Bill Quimby

Bill obviously knows the game - Mumbwa is an AWESOME lion area! One I have rarely seen mentioned on AR! Hunt places like this, and you will mostly likely get your lion, even the 1st time around, and even in 2012.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW Aaron,

I appreciate you knocking out those 5 points for me in your first post... I gathered MUCH from it! tu2

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
One lion hunt - no lion. It is hunting after all...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
2 lion hunts, 7 lions

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
2 lion hunts, 7 lions

Why did you leave out the hunt where you killed 24 lions in one sitting? How did you forget that one?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
One hunt--one lion. AND I fell for the BS line. My PH told me my lion was a 5 1/2 year old male with little mane from living a life in the bush (L1 I believe in the Selous). He was a 2 1/2 year teenager who should have not been shot. It was on day 6 of the hunt. If I'm ever called to task on what was told me it is not from memory--I have it on video tape. Perhaps another day......
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

ZAMBIA

Its mostly about location, some luck, and lastly - a good cat hunting PH.

I think I got at least two out of three covered. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
One hunt--one lion. AND I fell for the BS line. My PH told me my lion was a 5 1/2 year old male with little mane from living a life in the bush (L1 I believe in the Selous). He was a 2 1/2 year teenager who should have not been shot. It was on day 6 of the hunt. If I'm ever called to task on what was told me it is not from memory--I have it on video tape. Perhaps another day......
Cheers,
Cal

Dang that's a real tough one right there Cal... I wish you only good hunting! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of this confirms what has been suggested in the past - pay a normal daily rate ($500to $1000) and a large trophy fee ($25k to $50k) rather than an exorbitant daily rate ($2000 to $3000) and small trophy fee ($5000 to $12000).

Part of the reason is that lions are not shot everytime and the outfitter re-sells the lion tag each season. I do not think this is right, but it happens. I prefer to the safari outfit "motivated" to put you on a lion.

Posts: 10263 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
...and the outfitter re-sells the lion tag each season.

Oh wow...wasn't all that aware of that being common practice... dang, that's a tough one right there too Eeker

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
2 Lion hunts, 2 Lion.
Great PH's, great venue's and great hunts.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
One lion hunt in Tanzania , 21 days. I took 7 years old lion on 19th day.

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.....I prefer to the safari outfit "motivated" to put you on a lion.

Why would you think that an outfitter would not be motivated to get you a lion? For many, client success = exposure in the market.

A reputable PH/outfitter will ALWAYS be motivated to make you successful. The "others" will skim you whether you use one system or the other. Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would you think that an outfitter would not be motivated to get you a lion?

umm, maybe because they sold more lion hunts than they had tags. Or, maybe they had a "high profile" client coming in the hunt after you and wanted him to shoot the lion. sofa

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why did you leave out the hunt where you killed 24 lions in one sitting? How did you forget that one?

My apologies, I didn't know we were counting cubs as "lions".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:
.....I prefer to the safari outfit "motivated" to put you on a lion.

Why would you think that an outfitter would not be motivated to get you a lion? For many, client success = exposure in the market.

A reputable PH/outfitter will ALWAYS be motivated to make you successful. The "others" will skim you whether you use one system or the other. Wink

Dogcat & Others - That really is true! The outfitters you "should" be booking with, are always looking out for the client's best interest.

Guys, take no offense - but I think there's alot of the scenario you are not considering, or are simply not aware of - and rightfully so.

1. I see examples thrown around here about the "tag/quota" gets resold 2-4 times, like its common-place? When nothing could be further from the truth, NOTHING! I can't recall the last time I had that situation arrise with a lion hunt I booked, or an outfitter I booked for, ever! I'm not saying its never happened, I know for a fact, an outfitter or two who made this common place in the past - thus I stayed away. But to insinuate its a common practice, is false!

2. Often times your GOOD outfitters are very busy/booked throughout the year, they don't have time/days available to re-sell a lion (18 - 21 days) hunt 2-3 times, its impossible. And because of that, its important to them to get that 18-21 day hunt conducted at a prime date/location. Again, not saying it doesn't happen, but its NOT COMMON, and to insinuate otherwise, is false.

3. Tie #2 into this one, and then consider the cost factor to the operator for example. For obvious reasons I will NOT get completely specific about another outfitters finances, but suffice to say - a very reputable Zim PH, one used frequently by AR members, has a lion available in the Save for 2013. His cost to buy/lease, call it what you will, that 1 lion quota authorized to the property owner, from which he leases the ranch, is "trust me on this", tens of thousands of dollars, period!! He pays that, along with all of the outfitting costs for the hunter, regardless of the hunter's success on the LION! So, as is often the case in the Save - the best outfitters are booked throughout the season, thus getting the lion during the time frame he's allotted, is often - crucial!

The Save issued 5 lions on quota in 2012, the landowners who received them, value them highly. If they lease their ranch to an outfitter, they are gonna expect a pretty penny for that lion quota, in addition to the normal lease price, and the rest is the outfitters responsibility, period!! Guys, its a really simple arrangement, pay to play - that applies to the outfitter too. So to assume that the cost of a Lion hunt is the same as a buffalo hunt, and why can't the outfitter just charge the same daily fees, and a much higher trophy fee for the lion - is FALSE! Its the same sort of scenario here with the 250,000 acres we lease in eastern Colorado for deer - our landowners get paid the same, whether we sell hunts or not, and whether we kill deer or not. Its not their problem, and they don't care!

4. I gotta speak honestly, and say what most outfitters/guides/agents won't say - but we all talk about it, and we've all dealt with it many, many times. Look, after gaining a few years worth of experience as a "guide", many years ago - I learned exactly why guides can be/are so important. More times than not, the average client is not exactly what I would call a "killer"! On at least two occasions out of the 5, that I hunted with my clients for their lion - my lord, it was an absolute miracle we actually got the lion! They couldn't see him (really?), they couldn't find him in the scope (really, he's only 50 yards away?) they didn't have a clear shot bewildered, the angle was bad (by the way, the angles might change - but the anatomy never does) on, and on! In each case, the PH was starting to panic, I was pulling my hair out, all while the client was apparently on a different planet! Folks, I could write a book on all the times I have seen these sort of things happen when guiding clients - its amazing! I can locate em, I can judge em, I can stalk em, and I can point em out, but I can't make you see em, I can't carry you there, and I can't shoot em for ya - period! Thus, outfitters are often times hesitant to tie hunter's success, to their success!

I hope you guys know, I mean NO disrespect - I am simply trying to shed some light on the situation, from the opposite dug-out!

If you want a lion, go get one! But do it right, with the right people - in the right place, and odds are pretty good.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The "multiple sales of tags" by unscrupulous outfitters does happen on mixed or full bag hunts.

For example, it happens in Tanzania when an outfitter books eight consecutive 21 day safaris in one hunting block, where there are only a few lion on quota, and yet the outfitter does not tell his hunters about the quota limitation.

Hunters who are truly after lion should be given that information, i.e., they should be told that lion (or anything else they truly want to hunt) may be not be available when they arrive.

Unless the hunter has that information, and is careful to insist that his booking take place before the quota is exhausted, he may think he's getting a lion hunt, and his PH may even go through the motions, but that hunter is not really going to be hunting lion.

I have killed a couple of lions in three honest tries. Other times, we weren't really after them as a priority. That is lucky beyond belief, as compared with most.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
The "multiple sales of tags" by unscrupulous outfitters does happen on mixed or full bag hunts.

For example, it happens in Tanzania when an outfitter books eight consecutive 21 day safaris in one hunting block, where there are only a few lion on quota, and yet the outfitter does not tell his hunters about the quota limitation.

Hunters who are truly after lion should be given that information, i.e., they should be told that lion (or anything else they truly want to hunt) may be not be available when they arrive.

Unless the hunter has that information, and is careful to insist that his booking take place before the quota is exhausted, he may think he's getting a lion hunt, and his PH may even go through the motions, but that hunter is not really going to be hunting lion.

Michael,
Are you speaking of something like what mich posted below?

quote:
originally posted by Bwanamich:
If you restrict yourself to shooting only >6 yo lions, you don't need a quota! So if you have a quota of 1 lion (which would probably be what is required!) and you shoot it on the 1st hunt and the next 3 hunters along do see a >6 lion on their trip but are not allowed to shoot it because your quota is done, is that desirable?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does happen in TZ whether anyone here wants to admit it or not. This 6 year rule makes this even easier to pull off.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
This 6 year rule makes this even easier to pull off

shocker
I wonder if some of those pushing for the 6yr rule were doing it for that reason? sofa

One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
What Aaron said : good area good PH

I've been on one lion hunt and killed a great

cat on day 14 of a 21 day hunt. We passed on

four different males before shooting the one

I got.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think about it for a moment. If one has oversold the quota, all they have to do is age any lion that is seen as less than six years old.I'm not saying anyone has done it. I'm saying is possible.

I heard reports of many many 2011 lion hunters going home without lions. Is this truly because a lion seen with less than six years old or was it because the quota was oversold?

One of Us
Picture of Dmitriy
posted Hide Post
One 12 days hunt for cats in Niassa, Moz. Lion was killed on day 6.

Posts: 43 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Think about it for a moment. If one has oversold the quota, all they have to do is age any lion that is seen as less than six years old.I'm not saying anyone has done it. I'm saying is possible.

I heard reports of many many 2011 lion hunters going home without lions. Is this truly because a lion seen with less than six years old or was it because the quota was oversold?

Guys - At this point, its looking like roughly 80 lions were killed country wide in TZ, in 2011/2012. Down from 150 lions killed the previous year, that's almost a 50% decline in success! An obvious outcome from the new law - be it good, or bad!

So, you think the brilliant marketing strategy devised by the Tanzania hunting industry, and outfitters individually, was to drop the success rate by 50%, use the 6 yr old law as the excuse, and hope that'll be a good way to sell $80k - $120k lion safaris the following year? Ya, let's do think about that for a moment?

I too work with several TZ outfitters, of which, they all have 15 plus lions per year on quota - with their numerous hunting blocks. I can't think of the last time any one of them sold ALL 21-day lion hunt safaris they had available in a single year, ever? Much less over-selling the lion hunts they have available each year. Fact is, not I or any of them - have ever found it that easy to sell 15 - 20, $80k - $120k lion safaris each and every year.

So now, some of you guys think the idea was to push for a 6yr old or nothing law, knowing full well the success rates would drop, and hoping that would be the holy grail towards selling even more "big money" safaris, REALLY????? Somewhere along the lines, I obviously must have been absent that day in business/marketing class?

Folks, like alot of these threads, this one too has degraded to accusations, insinuations, and plain out speculation - as it pertains to the evil Tanzanian outfitters who are simply out to steal all your money, and send you home empty-handed. All from a guy asking about how many of us have lion hunted, and got one or not?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron:

All I said was that the six year rule would make it easier to oversell lion quota. That should be fairly obvious to anyone who gives it thought.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
There were 250 lions killed in TZ in 2009, 150 in 2010, & 80 in 2011/12 season. The maximum quota allowed was not approached in any of those seasons. Not having a lion available for a hunter with a tag was not an issue in 2010 or 2011/12 for sure as the quota did not change.

According to my sources...you have about a 20% chance of killing a 6 year old lion in TZ in this day and time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36839 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like my PH said in Jan, it should be great hunting in a few more years!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote