Lion Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
The "multiple sales of tags" by unscrupulous outfitters does happen on mixed or full bag hunts.

For example, it happens in Tanzania when an outfitter books eight consecutive 21 day safaris in one hunting block, where there are only a few lion on quota, and yet the outfitter does not tell his hunters about the quota limitation.

Hunters who are truly after lion should be given that information, i.e., they should be told that lion (or anything else they truly want to hunt) may be not be available when they arrive.

Unless the hunter has that information, and is careful to insist that his booking take place before the quota is exhausted, he may think he's getting a lion hunt, and his PH may even go through the motions, but that hunter is not really going to be hunting lion.

Michael,
Are you speaking of something like what mich posted below?

quote:
originally posted by Bwanamich:
If you restrict yourself to shooting only >6 yo lions, you don't need a quota! So if you have a quota of 1 lion (which would probably be what is required!) and you shoot it on the 1st hunt and the next 3 hunters along do see a >6 lion on their trip but are not allowed to shoot it because your quota is done, is that desirable?

Brad has taken the Bwanamich quote out of the context of that thread.

Bwanamich was simply stating that with the 6 year old rule...quotas become non-important. Bwanamich was adhering to the 6 year old rule 10 years ago...hence you saw all the lion in Kizigo Game Reserve ( http://forums.accuratereloadin...961072861#6961072861 ) after it was managed the 10 preceding years by TGTS/Wengert Windrose standards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36839 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I heard reports of many many 2011 lion hunters going home without lions. Is this truly because a lion seen with less than six years old or was it because the quota was oversold?

Larry:
I believe somewhere in the region of 25% of the allocated Lion quota was shot - the survivors owe it to the reluctance on behalf of the PH who was not going to take a risk on it being a borderline animal. IMO had this not been the case the kill ratio may have gone up to about 40%.
One also needs to bear in mind that the quota is never achieved.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why would you think that an outfitter would not be motivated to get you a lion?

umm, maybe because they sold more lion hunts than they had tags. Or, maybe they had a "high profile" client coming in the hunt after you and wanted him to shoot the lion. sofa

Good points..... but I doubt that such an outfitter would be more inclined to "work hard" to ge you a lion if the TF were high and daily rate low. Roll Eyes

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

Brad just likes fishing... Wink fishing

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Think about it for a moment. If one has oversold the quota, all they have to do is age any lion that is seen as less than six years old.I'm not saying anyone has done it. I'm saying is possible.

I heard reports of many many 2011 lion hunters going home without lions. Is this truly because a lion seen with less than six years old or was it because the quota was oversold?

Guys - At this point, its looking like roughly 80 lions were killed country wide in TZ, in 2011/2012. Down from 150 lions killed the previous year, that's almost a 50% decline in success! An obvious outcome from the new law - be it good, or bad!

So, you think the brilliant marketing strategy devised by the Tanzania hunting industry, and outfitters individually, was to drop the success rate by 50%, use the 6 yr old law as the excuse, and hope that'll be a good way to sell $80k - $120k lion safaris the following year? Ya, let's do think about that for a moment?

I too work with several TZ outfitters, of which, they all have 15 plus lions per year on quota - with their numerous hunting blocks. I can't think of the last time any one of them sold ALL 21-day lion hunt safaris they had available in a single year, ever? Much less over-selling the lion hunts they have available each year. Fact is, not I or any of them - have ever found it that easy to sell 15 - 20, $80k - $120k lion safaris each and every year.

So now, some of you guys think the idea was to push for a 6yr old or nothing law, knowing full well the success rates would drop, and hoping that would be the holy grail towards selling even more "big money" safaris, REALLY????? Somewhere along the lines, I obviously must have been absent that day in business/marketing class?

Folks, like alot of these threads, this one too has degraded to accusations, insinuations, and plain out speculation - as it pertains to the evil Tanzanian outfitters who are simply out to steal all your money, and send you home empty-handed. All from a guy asking about how many of us have lion hunted, and got one or not?

I know for a fact this happens. I hunted with a PH who spent 30 days with a client at the direction of the outfitter hanging baits, checking baits but "Fisi...no lion" was the answer for the entire hunt. Oversold, no lion available. No cat was to be taken at any cost. The other PH that was in camp at the same time as the 30 day guy confirmed this story a year later.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
There were 250 lions killed in TZ in 2009, 150 in 2010, & 80 in 2011/12 season. The maximum quota allowed was not approached in any of those seasons. Not having a lion available for a hunter with a tag was not an issue in 2010 or 2011/12 for sure as the quota did not change.

According to my sources...you have about a 20% chance of killing a 6 year old lion in TZ in this day and time.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

It would seem to me that a better statistic for the possibility put forward by myself and others would be how many "lion hunters" there were in comparison to your "kill" statistics above.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There were 250 lions killed in TZ in 2009, 150 in 2010, & 80 in 2011/12 season. The maximum quota allowed was not approached in any of those seasons. Not having a lion available for a hunter with a tag was not an issue in 2010 or 2011/12 for sure as the quota did not change.

According to my sources...you have about a 20% chance of killing a 6 year old lion in TZ in this day and time.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

It would seem to me that a better statistic for the possibility put forward by myself and others would be how many "lion hunters" there were in comparison to your "kill" statistics above.

All I can say Brad...just like Aaron has stated, Fujo has stated, and others...is that there is always quota left over on lion. Of the outfits I have access too...they would be HAPPY if they sold hunts for 2/3's of the lion they had on quota in TZ.

The overselling of quota may happen...but not with the reputable outfits and it is NOT common place. Book with the company who holds the block NOT someone who is buying quota and hunting privileges from a block holder...I am sure this is where the majority of these instances take place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36839 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3 lion hunts

1st got lion
2nd never lion on bait
3rd turned down young lion couldn't get big lion on bait.

D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

J. Lane Easter, DVM

+1

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The above quoted by 505 Gibbs.

It is also true to say that not all these hunts were restricted to a Lion hunt,ie. any 21 day full bag hunt will automatically include both cats unless they are declined by special arrangement.
"Strictly Lion Only" hunts are IMO few and far between as the game included is also restricted and tantamount to a somewhat glorified buffalo hunt; but, with a bit of 'pushing and pulling', most outfitters will accommodate the client on a mutually beneficial deal where the hunter gains the privilege of the above mentioned full bag safari which includes all the available species of game - not a bad deal if you ask me!

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aaron:

All I said was that the six year rule would make it easier to oversell lion quota. That should be fairly obvious to anyone who gives it thought.

I think the 6 year rule would make it easier to count on quota being left over at the end of the year regardless of the number of lion hunts sold, but I'm not sure that equates to selling more lion hunts. As Aaron said if you half the number of lions killed per year that's not going to be the best PR for selling lion hunts at Tanzania prices. It's like saying if the queen had balls she'd be a king.....yeah well she still doesn't have balls and the lions hunts still aren't any more easy to sell.....

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I guess my point is that if you have 15 lion on quota weather you goal is to sell 15 or 50 "lion hunts" a year it really doesn't matter if you can only actually sell 6 "lion hunts" in a year.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
My Zim PH last year had good friends(other PH's) which were hunting lion in Tanzania and were under strict guidelines that if they killed a lion under 6 years of year they were fired immediatly period. If a lion hadn't been on trailcam for the previous four years as an independent he was not to be shot under any circumstances. Some old lions were not shot and the client told too young because of those rules. The PH's hated it but were forced to lie because their livelyhood was at stake.Tanzania no thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"If a lion hadn't been on trailcam for the previous four years as an independent he was not to be shot under any circumstances."

it would be important to know who the operator was as that, to me, sounds like there is another side to the coin....

one of us
posted Hide Post
One 21-day hunt in the Zambezi Valley. Killed lion on 18th day.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So if you were on a plains game hunt in a good Lion area and they had one available on quota would you be allowed to shoot a Lion if you happened on one? Would you then be charged the daily rate for the minimum number of days plus the trophy fee? Is this even possible with athe permits required?

Posts: 765 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote