New
Find
Notify
Tools

End of hunting in Botswana?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got an email this morning stating that hunting was to be banned in Botswana following this (2012) season.

Anyone hear this, or confirm?

Thanks!!!

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Search through this forum and you will find more specifics on different concessions and the timing of closures, etc.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had some info for a few weeks. Total closure is not entirely true.

It will largely be closed. However ,there will be some limited hunting by 2 companies. These are Calitz and Butler. There is a limited time for them. Unless something has changed, they will hunt at least next year.

If I can figure how to post what I received from my I phone, I will post.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I received the same email. If so, it is quite sad.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It's an insane decision. thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The closing is gonna effect the vast majority of Botswana, a real shame all around! The already grossly over populated elephants, will continue their devastation of Botswana's ecology - until mother nature flips the switch.

I had the great pleasure of hunting Botswana on 4 different occasions, I will not forget those experiences!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the notice I got.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE !!!!!

Hunting is officially banned in Botswana from 2013, except for plainsgame on game ranches and a few elephants that will be auctioned outside the wilderness areas in the cattle areas.

There are only 2 areas that will still have limited quota for 2013 namely, CH 1 and NG 41.

This is a very sad and unfortunate situation.

Best regards,

KGORI SAFARIS
Sir Seretse Khama Road
Plot 374, New Mall
P/Bag 146, Maun
BOTSWANA
Tel: 00267 686 2049
Fax: 00267 686 2048

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
A number of us, including Saeed, have been saying for a long time: Go hunt Africa while you can! Just another confirmation for that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A HUGE Victory for the anti's

What's next??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was looming yet nobody really believed it would ever happen....Amen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
A number of us, including Saeed, have been saying for a long time: Go hunt Africa while you can! Just another confirmation for that.

I don't go for this logic. I can't hunt India, and guess what? I don't miss it.

If I knew Africa hunting would end in five years, I wouldn't go again period. If Africa hunting ends, my trophy room will be a depressing place indeed - who wants to look at the animals you can never hunt again?

Like TuffPaks, I know I am a minority with this opinion.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The document posted by the Hunting Report is the same one I was given a few weeks ago. I am not sure why they took so long to publish it.

I guess I am lucky. We are going in August.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I truly hope the following quotes from the "20 miilion buffalo cow" post are not prophetic.

luan said;

"Im just saying...but watch out maybe oneday SA only place to hunt."

Fritz Rabe said:

"It is true.
In a few years SA will be the only place left in Africa where there will be any hunting beacuse of the Game Ranchers."

I'd like to do a lot more hunting on the African continent in several countries.

One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted Hide Post
This is a perfect example of how when hunting becomes the activity of a well heeled few it is destined to become a thing of the past. Now all you rich guys out there please don't get your panties in a bunch and scream "class warfare" Iam not against having wealth. Point is there were so few to oppose Botswana's decision that it amounted to a whisper in Yankee Stadium. Compared to all wildlife watchers and shutterbugs who cried "don't kill the animals" Botswana knows what side its bread is buttered on and if hunting could generate the same kind of income and support there would be no question that hunting would be there for the future. Did the Dallas SC Houston SC or the main SCI express opposition to Botswana's decision...."First for Hunters" ??????

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgive me if the info I have is not accurate.
Last Sept. I was told some Hollywood director & his wife had been chumming it up with the pres. of Bot. & funneled some $$$$ to him to help him decide to implement more photo safaris & less hunting.
Why worry about winning over the body, just buy the head!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris E Nelson:
This is a perfect example of how when hunting becomes the activity of a well heeled few it is destined to become a thing of the past. Now all you rich guys out there please don't get your panties in a bunch and scream "class warfare" Iam not against having wealth. Point is there were so few to oppose Botswana's decision that it amounted to a whisper in Yankee Stadium. Compared to all wildlife watchers and shutterbugs who cried "don't kill the animals" Botswana knows what side its bread is buttered on and if hunting could generate the same kind of income and support there would be no question that hunting would be there for the future. Did the Dallas SC Houston SC or the main SCI express opposition to Botswana's decision...."First for Hunters" ??????

Chris - In Botswana's case, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with any of that, none! All the hunters in the WORLD could have screamed bloody murder, and it would not have mattered.

Ian Kama - Botswana's president, is a HUGE anti-hunter and always has been. Despite the fact that he was practically raised by the Blackbeard family of Botswana. Not to mention, he's a shareholder in Wilderness Safaris, the largest photographic safari company in all of Africa (conflict of interest wouldn't you say). Thirdly, Botswana is by far - the richest southern African country. One with absolutely zero need for any financial benefit that can be derived from hunting, none. For years now, hunting in Botswana has been EXTREMELY limited by very strict government quotas. Strict beyond reason or rationale

Hunting hasn't had a chance in Bots, to generate the vast amount of money it could have, not for years. The anti-hunting governments of the past couple of decades, have made sure of that. Bots could have, and should have, easily issued 10 times the number of permits for elephant over the past 10 yrs, but they refused. Same for buffalo - other than a couple of places in Tanzania, I've never seen anything close to the huge numbers of buffalo in Bots. Had the goverment been issuing quota as they should have, without question hunting would have been much more reasonably priced in Bots.

This had nothing to do with rich man, poor man - this one has been doomed for along time now.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.africahunting.com/l...botswana-2013-a.html

The amount of money hunting brings into Botswana should not be the only consideration in their decision to close down hunting areas (but apparently it IS!). What should also be considered is the health of the animal populations. We all know what happens to game-rich areas when hunting is shut down - the animals just disappear when they have no commercial value (poached off). Also, will the number of tourists booking photo safaris in Botswana increase as a result of hunting being shut down? I doubt it.

I've always said that a mixed-use strategy for game management works best. Have areas that are dedicated to photo safaris and restrict or close hunting in only those areas. Then have areas where hunting is allowed, which will benefit the game populations. This mixed-use strategy is used here in the U.S. to great effect. To completely close down all hunting except for a few elephant permits seems absolutely insane. Does no one else in Africa pay attention to what happened to the animal populations in Kenya when hunting was shut down?

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

Chris - In Botswana's case, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with any of that, none! All the hunters in the WORLD could have screamed bloody murder, and it would not have mattered.

Ian Kama - Botswana's president, is a HUGE anti-hunter and always has been. Despite the fact that he was practically raised by the Blackbeard family of Botswana. Not to mention, he's a shareholder in Wilderness Safaris, the largest photographic safari company in all of Africa (conflict of interest wouldn't you say). Thirdly, Botswana is by far - the richest southern African country. One with absolutely zero need for any financial benefit that can be derived from hunting, none. For years now, hunting in Botswana has been EXTREMELY limited by very strict government quotas. Strict beyond reason or rationale

Hunting hasn't had a chance in Bots, to generate the vast amount of money it could have, not for years. The anti-hunting governments of the past couple of decades, have made sure of that. Bots could have, and should have, easily issued 10 times the number of permits for elephant over the past 10 yrs, but they refused. Same for buffalo - other than a couple of places in Tanzania, I've never seen anything close to the huge numbers of buffalo in Bots. Had the goverment been issuing quota as they should have, without question hunting would have been much more reasonably priced in Bots.

This had nothing to do with rich man, poor man - this one has been doomed for along time now.

intersting fact. the principle owners of Wilderness Safaris are ex PH'S from Zim/ Bots. i had lunch with them and Greg Butler while passing through Maun about 6-7 years ago on my way from a Kalahari leopard hunt to Greg's hunting camp bordering the Moremi Reserve for a week of video/ photo fun. his concession also bordered a Wilderness Safari photo concession. the 2 Wildernes Safari owners freely admitted that they missed professional hunting but realized they could make more money selling high end photo safaris to well heeled clientel. they also admitted that they never mentioned their PH roots to their customers. while in Greg's camp we visited a Wilderness Safari photo camp to have lunch on 2 occasions. my PH ( Darren Smit) asked me not to mention the fact that i had been on a hunting safari prior to going to the Okavango to anyone who might be at lunch with us. i obliged. we saw more dangerous game( ele, buff, lion, leopard, even cheetah) during that week than i have IN ALL MY OTHER AFRICA TRIPS combined!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Molepolole:
http://www.africahunting.com/l...botswana-2013-a.html

The amount of money hunting brings into Botswana should not be the only consideration in their decision to close down hunting areas (but apparently it IS!). What should also be considered is the health of the animal populations. We all know what happens to game-rich areas when hunting is shut down - the animals just disappear when they have no commercial value (poached off). Also, will the number of tourists booking photo safaris in Botswana increase as a result of hunting being shut down? I doubt it.

I've always said that a mixed-use strategy for game management works best. Have areas that are dedicated to photo safaris and restrict or close hunting in only those areas. Then have areas where hunting is allowed, which will benefit the game populations. This mixed-use strategy is used here in the U.S. to great effect. To completely close down all hunting except for a few elephant permits seems absolutely insane. Does no one else in Africa pay attention to what happened to the animal populations in Kenya when hunting was shut down?

To add further to your point, have you seen the majority of Bots? Its NOT very scenic/photographic terrain, with the exception of the Delta. Its rife with Mopane scrub, from years of elephant destruction, and often times - little else is seen but elephants.

These areas will NEVER be turned into photographic areas, never. Not to mention the fact that regardless of their scenic beauty or not, the photographic market will only support so many photographic companies, period.

Botswana will eventually become another Kenya, in the meantime - just like the lion in Bots. The game dept will shoot hundreds of elephants a year, all for nothing! In 2010 the Bots game dept shot over 120 "problem" lions throughout the country. The local areas where these lions lived, received NOTHING, not one thing. When in reality - limited hunting could have "helped" with animal control, and limited financial gain to the area residents. Shameful!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
To add further to your point, have you seen the majority of Bots? Its NOT very scenic/photographic terrain, with the exception of the Delta. Its rife with Mopane scrub, from years of elephant destruction, and often times - little else is seen but elephants.

These areas will NEVER be turned into photographic areas, never. Not to mention the fact that regardless of their scenic beauty or not, the photographic market will only support so many photographic companies, period.

Aaron makes a great point here. I hunted Botswana back in 1989, and I cannot imagine any photo safari venturing out into the southwest part of the ocuntry, way out into the Kalahari. I spent 8 fantastic days out there, but it would not be a place to take a photographic safari. The time we spent in the north was much better suited to a photographic safari. I was way north, up along the Selinda and Kwando rivers, and I can't really imagine photographic safaris there either, as it was pretty remote too. I wonder what will happen with poaching once hunting camps disappear? We encountered some poachered elephants while I was lion hunting. We tried following them for a while, but it became obvious that they were going to make it across the border into Caprivi or Zambia (I don't remember quite which it is right there) before we could catch up to them. Now, with large blocks that will have nobody there at all, who the heck is going to deter poaching? Oh yead, that's right...NOBODY.

Posts: 3909 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I've heard the private land in the Tuli Block is not affected by the ban. I've hunted on a friend's place on the Tuli, and there was no shortage of game, including elephants.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Aaron. 120 lions would have generated an awful lot of money for that economy. Sad.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The trouble with Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Damn Aaron. 120 lions would have generated an awful lot of money for that economy. Sad.

Ya, absolutely correct - and its been going on for along time!

Certainly the Bots govt as a whole is not in need of hunting dollars, but you don't think that the local villages could use/would welcome that revenue? Many of these areas will never support photographic opportunities, never. So now what??? Poaching, govt game control, out-right lawlessness and total dis-regard for the local game. That's what much of Botswana's wildlife has to look forward to now!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
in reference to my post above about my Kalahari leopard hunt, there was a borehole at camp with a water tank for local wildlife. EVERY night a male lion walked right by my tent to drink. tracks were huge and mane hair on the thorn brush was long and black. 1 night he stopped by the staff quarters and killed a donkey. we heard the ruckus as the staff tried to run him off. he left after eating quite a bit, then walked over to the borehole. tried to get an emergency PAC permit to sort it out before he killed someone. waste of time and effort. Khama could care less about what happens to "his" people

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
AND you thank the jouberts amongst others for their BS horse wallop. thumbdown moon

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
aw come on man!! everyone knows they are foremost authority on lions in southern Africa( except maybe Pam White). i read it right here!! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
aw come on man!! everyone knows they are foremost authority on lions in southern Africa( except maybe Pam White). i read it right here!! dancing

Who's Pam White??

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
pardon me- i meant Paula White

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

This is a shame but elephant hunting although limited will go on. These cattle areas where elephant hunting will continue in some cases offers some super bulls. Also the ranch hunting is the rival of any place in Africa so hunting is not over in Botswana but in '13 it will be a shadow of what it was.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if those of us who bought hunts for 2012 could sell them for a big profit now?

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
One big outfitter was trying to buy back some of the hunts I sold for 2012 at the SCI show. He offered to buy them back at full retail and let me keep my commission, so there was obviously a lot of that going on at SCI. All our clients turned him down, and they're really glad they didn't take him up on it now.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=594

Big Changes Coming To Botswana Hunting For 2013

(posted April 20, 2012)

Word has been flying around the internet for almost a year now that Botswana had closed to all hunting. That simply was not true-and still isn't. However, just as we were laying down copy for our May newsletter, we received this urgent email from Kgori Safaris:

Dear Hunting Friend,

VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE !!!!!

Hunting is officially banned in Botswana from 2013, except for plainsgame on game ranches and a few elephants that will be auctioned outside the wilderness areas in the cattle areas.

There are only 2 areas that will still have limited quota for 2013 namely, CH 1 and NG 41.

This is a very sad and unfortunate situation.

Best regards,
KGORI SAFARIS

Hunting Report publisher and editor Barbara Crown immediately called the Botswana Wildlife Management Association to get the full story. We've included their full statement below, which answers some, but not all questions hunters might have. For the moment, here is the takeaway:

1) As Kgori's email accurately stated, these changes won't take effect until 2013. So, if you have an elephant safari booked for Botswana in 2012, relax, go hunting and enjoy the experience.

2) If you have an elephant safari booked for 2013 or beyond, contact your safari operator immediately to check the status of your specific hunt. Safaris with Butler &Holbrow Safaris in the Chobe Enclave CH1/2 will continue unchanged through the end of 2013; Safaris with Calitz Hunting Safaris in Mababe NG 41 will continue through the end of 2017.

3) The Hunting Report is attempting to ascertain if there are still any possible hunts left for 2012. If we find opportunities, we will let our Email Extra subscribers know immediately

4) As the statement below clearly indicates, elephant hunting in Botswana is not closed, but there are certainly going to be changes. Stay tuned for new information as the situation clarifies.

Editor,
Barbara Crown

Below is the full text of the statement from Botswana Wildlife Management Association:

HUNTING IN BOTSWANA - STATEMENT TO VALUED CLIENTS, AGENTS AND FRIENDS

Over the last 5 years, Botswana's trophy hunting industry has been subjected to some extensive changes to areas available for hunting, and changes in land use in other areas where photographic and hunting operations have been combined - these changes have given rise to much speculation amongst the international hunting fraternity: the Botswana Wildlife Management Association wishes to confirm that from the end of this year big game hunting will continue in the following concessions:

Butler &Holbrow Safaris / Chobe Enclave CH1/2 - end of 2013

Calitz Hunting Safaris / Mababe NG 41 - end of 2017

In spite of draconian cuts in quota for other species, elephant remain the flagship species in Botswana and sustainable offtake of this species will continue under the guidance and direction of the Botswana Government. Recent aerial surveys conducted by independent researchers, in collaboration with Government and the Association, have determined that the Botswana elephant population is stable and in some parts of the country are considered locally over-abundant. The Special Elephant Quota, which is auctioned annually to industry members and stakeholders, will continue in select areas for the benefit of local communities and for elephant conservation and management as a whole. Private research on tusk weights/population distribution and densities, supported by outfitters, is ongoing and will continue to inform Botswana's Wildlife Management Authority.

Assurances have been made to the industry by senior members of Government during the course of the last five years that elephant hunting will continue in Botswana; in the meantime, outfitters remain committed to ongoing discussion and consultation with Government to determine the way forward. Hunting on game ranches is unchanged. Please contact your safari outfitter or the Botswana Wildlife Management Association (botswanawildlife@yahoo.com or debbie@mochaba.net) for any further information or confirmation you may require.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9497 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted Hide Post
Forgive me but this seems like the "Domino Effect" maybe in this case the dominos fall a little slower.

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forgive me but this seems like the "Domino Effect" maybe in this case the dominos fall a little slower.

Unfortunately that could be a very accurate statement!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Here's what I got today from Tharia Unwin with Johan Calitz Safaris:

Good day all,

HUNTING IS NOT BANNED

The wording of Kgori Safaris press release late last week that hunting is being officially banned is incorrect.

Despite a lot of speculation in the press, it is not official, neither has it been banned.

BWMA have been told by Government that hunting elephant in certain areas will continue. Please refer to the statement released by the professional hunters' body of Botswana (BWMA) as attached. It is accurate and reflects the current situation.

Premature and inaccurate news and the distribution thereof is likely to cause operators and booking agents to get cancellations because they think it is officially banned. To the contrary, we COULD find that operators get an extension on their leases, as was the case with us for NG41, for example. Then what?

Please don't over-react and run away with unconfirmed rumours that is still very much under discussion between the government and the hunting industry in Botswana.

Clients who booked elephant in areas that may be affected in future, will be contacted individually if and when this is confirmed in writing by government. In such an event, we will endeavour to re-schedule safaris or find alternatives, such as auction hunts, or if not possible, we shall refund deposits. Johan is appealing to all to allow operators to debate the possible changes further and that clients not put the cart infront of the horses. Rumours such as this can be extremely damaging and it is not in the interest of a healthy hunting industry.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What a shame - as a result of these knuckleheaded policies, wild game in Botswana will be doomed.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately.....a good news for the poachers Mad

Posts: 71 | Location: France close to Paris | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote