Find
Notify
Tools

Age this lion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted
and just for giggles, admit whether you would shoot him or not...

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
4 years, no shoot.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'm with TJ.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post

Im with TJ and SBT! That lion looks like he is just out of a Mickey Mouse Club meeting and still has his mouse ear hat on!

...............No shoot, let him roam around for another 3 or 4 yrs!

....................................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm clearly no expert, but obviously a youngster. I'd welcome the professional's opinions on age, but 4 years? Really? I defer to the experts.

Posts: 10128 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Nope! No matter how much Andrew begs me. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
OK, Brad, and his real( documented) age is????

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13239 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I'm sensing a "Gotcha".

Posts: 10128 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I would have thought it was old (7 to 12) with its broad nose, pail colour,droopy lips, darker nose, nicks in its face and hair fully around the ears??
I would shoot it provided that was also what the PH thought, it was a good hunt and I had the $$$ .

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Oz my thoughts exacty - old lion - tho it does not matter much, since I would not shoot any lion unless I would have to.

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based purely on what the 2nd pic exposes, and assuming no dependant young in tow, BANG!

Other pics from different angles or showing the entire body might indicate the contrary. If you have them, post them.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6,5 years old BANG !!!

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Though he does not have much mane his face has an 'old' look to me. I would shoot him.

~Ann

Posts: 19234 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Based purely on what the 2nd pic exposes, and assuming no dependant young in tow, BANG!

Other pics from different angles or showing the entire body might indicate the contrary. If you have them, post them.

One very distinctive characteristic gives away his elderly state - his sunken eyes! I would like to see his whole body too?

I think he has a beautiful mane personally. I start lion hunting May 24th, if I see him BOOM

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't know, but if the PH said shoot, well, he wouldn't get any older.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1927 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for the expert before I reveal further info....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
based on his k-9 profile....young cat 3-4

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I really don't know, but if the PH said shoot, well, he wouldn't get any older.

Well said. Me too.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt there is anyone on this forum who could truly judge a lion's age "on the hoof" to within a year unless he stumbled across the weaning pride and kept tabs on it thereafter.

At face value, the pictured lion is a shooter and would guess it to be over 6 but less than 9yrs Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There is something I don't understand about these "age the lion" threads. If I were to post some pictures of young women and ask you all to tell me if they are over or under 18 years old, what would be the point? Of course I am assuming that some of you have previously seen a young woman.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:

Hey Brad, rather than always being a shit-disturber, try being part of the solution man! Just when I think maybe you're trying to offer some useful/helpful info, out comes you're under-lying motive, trouble!

If you have further info, please tell us, hopefully we can all learn from it. Without trying to turn this into another shit-slinging argument, that really accomplishes NOTHING!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
I doubt there is anyone on this forum who could truly judge a lion's age "on the hoof" to within a year unless he stumbled across the weaning pride and kept tabs on it thereafter.

At face value, the pictured lion is a shooter and would guess it to be over 6 but less than 9yrs Big Grin

Fujo - You are absolutely correct, and certainly not with any real frequency! Could some do a better job that others as being fairly correct, more often than others - yes I think so. But, always correct - hell no! Nobody on the planet can do that, especially under real-life hunting conditions. Not some lion lying under a tree in the Serengeti, that you've studied, photographed and observed for the past 3 months.

Exactly why I am so stead-fast again the Tanzania LAW that says 6 yrs old or lookout, trouble is coming. I believe the optimal age is 6 yrs plus, and everyone should strive for that, period. But there's a reason IMO that Dr. Begg and the Niassa Carnivore Project have been so successful since 2004 - with their points system.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

At face value, the pictured lion is a shooter and would guess it to be over 6 but less than 9yrs

good post
quote:
Hey Brad, rather than always being a shit-disturber, try being part of the solution man! Just when I think maybe you're trying to offer some useful/helpful info, out comes you're under-lying motive, trouble!

If you have further info, please tell us, hopefully we can all learn from it. Without trying to turn this into another shit-slinging argument, that really accomplishes NOTHING!!

Aaron Neilson

Hey Aaron, stop being such a self righteous, stodgy old curmudgeon. You take yourself, your cause and this forum entirely too seriously and it borders on rediculous. There is nothing wrong with having a little fun (even at your own expense sometimes) and stirring the pot. Besides, I was actuallly hoping Lane would scan this youngster into his super computer and spit out a DOB.
quote:
Fujo - You are absolutely correct, and certainly not with any real frequency! Could some do a better job that others as being fairly correct, more often than others - yes I think so. But, always correct - hell no! Nobody on the planet can do that, especially under real-life hunting conditions. Not some lion lying under a tree in the Serengeti, that you've studied, photographed and observed for the past 3 months.

Exactly why I am so stead-fast again the Tanzania LAW that says 6 yrs old or lookout, trouble is coming. I believe the optimal age is 6 yrs plus, and everyone should strive for that, period. But there's a reason IMO that Dr. Begg and the Niassa Carnivore Project have been so successful since 2004 - with their points system.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources

preserved for posterity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, I'm really bad at judging cats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Straight to the Wildlife Gallery, left turn, mouth slightly open. Have just the spot picked out.
Dave

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I admit to knowing absolutely nothing about aging lions, but am a pretty good ager of whitetail deer. It would be very helpful to see more of the body, but he just does not look old in the face to me.

Under 6, NO SHOOT.

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Het Brad,

How big are those picture files? My connection her is very slow - but normally I can manage a picture or two. These seem to be downloading forever, and the best that I could do is getting up to just the eats of the first picture. Any hope of compressing them into a JPEG format, just for the benifit of the few of us with inherently slow Internet connections?

Keep well.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, this thread really highlights the absurdity of folks calling out others for shooting lions that are perceived to be "too young". Fact is that even when folks have the luxury of staring at several pictures for as long as they want, the opinions are all over the map. Compare that to sitting in a blind in dim light, with fleeting glimpses, at the tail end of an 18 or 21 day hunt, running on a few hours of sleep . . . just too many variables in my view to suggest that someone should be judged or ridiculed after the fact.

Mike

Posts: 21380 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
Mike my thoughts exactly. Good post!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
In my opinion, this thread really highlights the absurdity of folks calling out others for shooting lions that are perceived to be "too young". Fact is that even when folks have the luxury of staring at several pictures for as long as they want, the opinions are all over the map. Compare that to sitting in a blind in dim light, with fleeting glimpses, at the tail end of an 18 or 21 day hunt, running on a few hours of sleep . . . just too many variables in my view to suggest that someone should be judged or ridiculed after the fact.

+1

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said Mike, agree 100% !!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

Aaron,

Lighten up man! I think the thread is valuable to show just how difficult it can be to age a lion. 505's post appears to accomplish its purpose.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Het Brad,

How big are those picture files? My connection her is very slow - but normally I can manage a picture or two. These seem to be downloading forever, and the best that I could do is getting up to just the eats of the first picture. Any hope of compressing them into a JPEG format, just for the benifit of the few of us with inherently slow Internet connections?

Keep well.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew,
Would do, if I had any idea how to do what you ask, unfortunately I do not. My apologies, perhaps if you tried about 3am when none of the other villagers were tying up the party line. Wink

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
6-7 year old if in a hunting area. If he is a park lion...maybe a little older.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36843 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Lane,

What is the difference between a hunting area and park in aging this lion? Not a gotcha question. Just trying to learn.

Todd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about lions from Africa but he looks well past his prime, I would guess eight if I had a gun to my head.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and just for giggles, admit whether you would shoot him or not...

might depend if he was chewing on my foot!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK; I'll bite. Young ... maybe 3 1/2 years, based solely upon jowls condition (whether or not that's even a determinant). Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

i agree 100%- but it sure doesn't stop some folks here from hammering the hell out of others for doing just that.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13239 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Lane,

What is the difference between a hunting area and park in aging this lion? Not a gotcha question. Just trying to learn.

Todd

Based soley on the one picture...I believe this lion to be "aged"...based on facial features, the color of his body coat and the atrophied appearance of his skin that I can see.

The shear odds of finding a lion in a hunting block >7 are not great. Life in a hunting block is harder as well...but mainly the fact that their just ain't many 8 and above lions roaming hunting blocks. I have seen some teenage park lion that were still fairing fairly well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36843 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote