Find
Notify
Tools

500 Grains Gone Wild!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That's the spirit Ann! A lot of unnecessary time and energy, and venom and bad feelings, etc. etc. were wasted on this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! I just hope he has as memorable experience as Judge G had with the Buff/Lions without the blood stains. Big Grin

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:

** Hey fatboy bite me, my needing to prove myself to the likes of you passed years ago. Let me give you a small piece of advice... lay off the pasta an try a few more salads Wink

And posted by Catmello (Carmello)

"Have you seen what that freak danny boy looks like?"

Anybody else notice that these guys (this guy) have an unnatural and unholy interest in what the guys on this sight look like?

Maybe Cat's and Carmine aren't the same person. Maybe they just have a VERY close relationship.

It's ok though, trolls have a right to diversity too.. roflmao

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Carmelo,

Yet again your post say your trying to get laughs about Dan McCarthy, AKA 500grns. Whats to laugh about. He's actually on his way elephant hunting while you, and me too, are sitting on our asses, typing on a friggin' keyboard.

JPK

JPK

You are so right.

If Dan's plans are successful and he returns with more than a handful of elephant hunts, I think the 'wannabe' will turn a little green and explode.

PS He can tell us about his Zambian (or Botswanan bewildered) safari in relief. With pictures, of course Wink.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good idea Annie. Lests start with a reivew of your last Zim trip in as that is where our friend Dan is supposed to be. I also have an ulterior motive asking this.We might want to start the hunt previous to that one. I have a recent hunt report of a hunt gone bad in the area that I will share. I will omit names only because I am not free to divuldge them yet. Once the gentelman involved gets his personal things sorted out and his hunt report written it we be verry public. The bigger indication along with other factors we are all free to read here and the news sources suggest Zim is going down in a very accelerated manner. You must understand that all of these people involved ph's. owners, game scouts, trackers, clients, landmanagers, magistrates etc are are fairly well known and have had fairly good levels of success a decent reputations. That is all beginning to come apart at the seems. Many good ph's their families and the families associated with them are trying to sell off what ever assets they can to raise cold hard cash. WE have seen some old guns, now some nice ivory. I am certain there will other treasured items before the end.I know 3 Zim trackers who smuggled themselves across the border into RSA. That is how bad it is in Zim. Even a black man cant a job or a bowl of mealie to feed his familie because he isnt from the right tribe, or God forbid the political party.
Upto know they have pretty much the local hunters alone but that has changed in the last year as well. I know several of you personally on these boards who have had major problems starting 2 years ago. Anyone feel free to chime in if your so inclined. Yes The PH's did a pretty damn fine job of keeping the clients isolated and out of trouble but that has broken down more and more over the last year.

"A friend of mine, JJJJ HHHHHH just got back from Zim. He did a buffalo hunt with GGGGG BBBBBB's outfit in the Zambezi Valley. I have known JJJJ H. since before high school (nearly 40 years now). He's a good shooter, relentless hunter, and in outstanding physical condition (he's a cyclist of nearly Olympic class). He's hunted Africa two or three times previously, (Namibia).

JJJJ had a very disturbing hunt. The only good news is he did get a good bull. The hunting was very difficult,(heat and thick brush). The PH he was assigned had only hunted the area they were hunting once before. They encountered two groups of poachers. Shootable impala were non-existent. The truck broke down. The charter plane out had mechanical problems. The Game Scout tried to shake JJJJ H down for money and when JJJJ wouldn't pay, the Game Scout reported to the local officials that JJJJ had wounded a 'buff. JJJJ was taken before a magistrate. J never saw RRRR BBBBBB and was told he wasn't available when he requested to talk with him.

Spoke with JJJJ today and he's going to write up a detailed report on the deal. He got the distinct impression that things are sinking fast there and the hunting operation was just trying to get what cash they could while they can.

MY Reply
MMMM This is truly bad news. The writing has been on the wall for some time but when you see the well known guys who have a good reputation scrambling like rats on a sinking ship it certainly is a bad omen. I have seen several guys in Zim trying to sell off assets lately. Even my friend Ganyana has an add trying to sell elephant tusks on AR. It would appear Zim isnt long for this world, both as a hunting destination or as a nation as a whole. I hope your friend JJJJ will make all of this public once he gets his report written.
This is but one example of numerous complaints and communications that have been circulating between those of us who hunt and fish together. Most of us are SCI members of one type or another and that is how many of us met but this really has nothing to do with the organization. That is, other than the fact that we all network with each other and have a much wider range contacts because of it.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Mike

Exactly the sort of post we need to keep up to date

Thanks for bringing the thread back to something reasonable.

Hopefully when a public hunt report is put out you can post some specifics.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
Geez Ann,

Betcha you didn't think that your thread would end up like this, eh?

Good Luck 500!!

-Steve

Oh, nothing I see on A-R surprises me much anymore. Well, other than a thread like this gets more hits and more posts than someone posting a story and photos of a successful hunt.

I think our reader's energies would be better spent posting notes to congratulate great hunts and asking thoughtful questions about those hunts.

Even better, how about booking some hunts so you have something to talk about?

beer

Ann,

Great point!!! I share your view... however it is clearly a pattern that any post I make whether serious or a goof (as was my involvement in this thread) DEFINITELY generates more interest than Hunting posts. For whatever the reason....

Strange behaviour people exihibit. roflmao

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Dan
Enjoy , keep your eyes peeled and pick the nice ones. May all your bullets hit where you want them to hit.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan is a good "forum Friend" and has provided me with a wealth of current technical information, much of which is unavailable here in the U.K, his knowledge is up there with the best and his numerous trips suggest his theory and shooting is top form also.

It is dissapointing to note that a few see this as raison detre to "have a go," and moreover to air it in the open.

This forum is a teriffic medium for those of us less fortunate in terms of shooting opportunities than you have in the US, please don't spoil it, you all have something useful to offer at the right time and place.

Life is too short to vent one's spleen over things that don't matter. Don't get personal

I for one look forward to Dan's safe return and for a debrief on the trip and as I shalln't be travelling to the dark continent myself for a while at least, to get a full report from him, is for me the next best thing.

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Tomlinson:
Dan is a good "forum Friend" and has provided me with a wealth of current technical information, much of which is unavailable here in the U.K, his knowledge is up there with the best and his numerous trips suggest his theory and shooting is top form also.

It is dissapointing to note that a few see this as raison detre to "have a go," and moreover to air it in the open.

I do think many of you have scorch marks on the top of your heads as a result of what the original replies in regards to 500 are about...not that he doesn't have knowledge of weapons, goes shooting eles,etc. But rather his pompus attitude an replies to anyone whom HE feels does not qualify to be a snob like him.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
What do you call a couple of members (maybe one person only) who wait for a guy to leave home and unable to respond before attacking him?

Maybe the yellow streak is not down the leg but down the back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
What do you call a couple of members (maybe one person only) who wait for a guy to leave home and unable to respond before attacking him?

CHICKENSHIT

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL everyone knows where to find me, including Dannyboy if he makes it back.

Stop your whining fatboy and go back to your usual drivel.
The posts were a joke, no better or worse that the many you and your idiot friends have made about me....

One would think that someone as rotund as you would have a bit thicker skin jump

Oh by the way, someone posted this classic cartoon on another site. I thought I would share it.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Character is doing the right thing, when nobody is looking" and in this case it should also apply to typing on the internet ..... something to think about!!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3486 hits to see any comments posted about 500 grs....law of averages dictates a fair share of them are not to see if anything good is in them Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I highly doubt these big brave men would utter the same words to the faces of the people they are insulting here in these posts.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Knock'em down Dan, enjoy the hunt and make sure to let all of us know how it went!

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
I highly doubt these big brave men would utter the same words to the faces of the people they are insulting here in these posts.

Now I had told myself my last post was going to be it for this thread for me then I read yours.
There you are incorrect sir, I'd love to meet Danny Boy face to face. Preferably in a canvas ring with ropes around it!!! Ohhhh that would be sweet.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:

i was thinking the same thing...there needs to be a "say that to my face" rule unless it is obvious good fun. but i do admit the guilty pleasure of many good laughs reading these posts even though i do not condone all the e-slinging going on. the funy thing is the inherant brovado in the types who would post here and than the other spectrum of great helpful knowledgable experienced people here. i think there needs to be a little more energy focused on fighting the right people (like govt. wanting to take your guns away) instead of infighting because someone might be guilty of snobbery or guilty of being a cowboy. should direct personal attacks be deleted or should we all lighten up a bit and realize this is all for sport and fun. if people are different than you in a way you dont like we should not be calling them "fatty" or hoping they get stomped to death by an elephant but i do think a good game of paintball might be a good idea since it involves shooting, pain and humiliation for the loser. if you attack a person personaly you should be willing to fight the person face to face in a paintball duel clap

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now I had told myself my last post was going to be it for this thread for me then I read yours.
There you are incorrect sir, I'd love to meet Danny Boy face to face. Preferably in a canvas ring with ropes around it!!!

Of course you would Poser. roflmao You being an Alaskan Guide and all. jump We are still waiting for your Annabel like tails of 'crawling through Bear tunnels' after wounded Brownies with your client. clap

Perhaps a made for TV Movie?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There you are incorrect sir, I'd love to meet Danny Boy face to face. Preferably in a canvas ring with ropes around it!!!

cats...how about paintball since it would take away some of the being weight class thing and involve shooting?

but i do admire your willingness to step up to the mat with grains face to face if he would be willing to, maybe we can all watch it on video on a.r. thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
quote:
quote:

cats...how about paintball since it would take away some of the being weight class thing and involve shooting?

but i do admire your willingness to step up to the mat with grains face to face if he would be willing to, maybe we can all watch it on video on a.r. thumb

Oh quit teasing me I'm getting excited. Maybe it could be a tag team type thing and he could bring Mickey along I'll still go solo, though

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
Let's lose all the tough guy bravado and go back to this image below!

Never was there a more fitting cartoon!!!!

A true pig!

jump jump jump jump

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bewildered Ok drop the bravado but I do believe I've come up with a solution:

we should hold what is known in the USA as a GREAT AMERCAN BBQ COOKOFF! Hog being the meat of choice!!!

Keep it off the fire don't want a flare up from the grease dripping out of the BORE..errr boar jump

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh quit teasing me I'm getting excited. Maybe it could be a tag team type thing and he could bring Mickey along I'll still go solo, though

Shoot Poser, I'd love to come along. Not to tag team you but to get the autograph of such a well traveled and brave PH/Guide as yourself. roflmao

Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't we go Bear hunting next Spring? I'll be your 'client' and you can 'guide' me. Don't worry about your license being expired or anything Roll Eyes I have Alaskan resident status and can hunt legally without one. You can just show me how it's done. thumb Don't forget those back issues of Outdoor Life so you can study up. clap

We can hunt out of Chignik and maybe Dan will come along and you guys can strap 'em on. roflmao

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:

We can hunt out of Chignik and maybe Dan will come along and you guys can strap 'em on. roflmao

Uh Uh!
No inciting brawls Mickeyboy....
This is all about PIGLET now.

jump jump jump jump jump jump jump jump

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh Uh!

Well C, you, better than anybody, would know you can't hurt a Bag of Wind. lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not legal to hunt over bait for brownies anymore so why would I take you 2 cup cakes along?
Carmelo is correct this is about that greasy spoon fry cook ( got to admit that is a good cartoon) who claims to be from down under now

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
not legal to hunt over bait for brownies anymore so why would I take you 2 cup cakes along?
Carmelo is correct this is about that greasy spoon fry cook ( got to admit that is a good cartoon) who claims to be from down under now

Gee Poser, I thought sure you would jump at the offer. Frowner Bait? don't you know how to hunt for them? bewildered You wouldn't have been fooling us with your Alaskan Guide talk would you? Confused Not lying.....again? Eeker

I don't blame you. I guess the old pucker factor is a lot greater in the bush than on the couch with Outdoor Life. Too bad, it might of made a man out of you. clap

Naw.roflmao

Just a Poser. jump jump jump jump

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh Uh!
This is all about PIGLET now.

All right Carmelo. You're being thrown off the thread.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I find the kindergarten (age 4) level cartoon of Cami-Girl quite amusing.

It says more about "Carmelo/Cats" than about me. Wink

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Mick

Well done on the clown photo. Perfect. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh c'mon guys, you just had to go and ruin what was otherwise a funny thread with lamo mediocrity????

sleep

I mean jeeez! The Carmelo Pink suit photo was funny, the dannyboy getting squashed was funny, the Pig-Face NitroX was Hilarious ( the guy actually looks like a pig)

But the clown picture is just borrrring attempt to respond to the piglet postings with no style at all....

yawwwwwwwn this thread has grown stale.

Ok boys you have MY PERMISSION to throw in your last digs make whatever "face saving" comments you can come up with... whatever it takes.

I'll kick back until the next humourous opportunity prevents itself Smiler

This thread is dead.

Try a little harder next time will ya fellows?
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carmelo,

No one is laughing with you. And you're still sitting on your ass behind the keyboard while 500grns is hunting elephants in Zim.

JPK

PS: made this post a) because its true and, b) because Carmelo is always trying to get in the last word.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Come on Carmen. That is not a pig. This is a pig.

I eagerly await a pig hunting photo of your own ;.

One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed posts made by 500 Grains.

I think that Carmello is just angry that Dan won't be using a 45/70 to hunt these elephant. (It being an inferior cartridge and all that!!!)

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Wow...

I haven't been on AR much lately, so I'm not up to speed on the petty squabbles that are going on right now.

500 grains is going elephant hunting.

That is the intent of the thread, and I'm happy for him.

I diddin't always agree with all he had to say, but that is beside the point.

He is goign elephant hunting, and I wish him well. I've still not made ot to Africa, so I am doubly envious.

Envious, yes. Talk him down because I haven't done what he is goign to do? No way.

SOme of the posters here need to grow up a bit... Wink

Good luck 500gr, and I hope you get a big elephant! Smiler

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Come on Carmen. That is not a pig. This is a pig.

I eagerly await a pig hunting photo of your own ;.

SSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEE!that's some porker and the hog is a nice one too!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The jungle drums tell me there is blood on the ground - and it aint 500's. At least 1 down and 5 to go, so he is off to a good start.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Great news!!!
5 more eles ??? wow Eeker

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote