THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    o.k. varnmits to elephants, one gun, what would you chose (sorry no 375hh to obvious)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

o.k. varnmits to elephants, one gun, what would you chose (sorry no 375hh to obvious)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
i like the 338 lapua in a ar-30 armalite, in fact based only on performance i'll take it over the 375 h+h

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
.275 rigby (aka 7mm mauser, 7x57) shot placement, not raw horsepower, long bullets with straight line penetration and high sectional density while providing excellent accuracy. you can do it all varmints to ele's as long as you do it carefully!!

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
i like the 338 lapua in a ar-30 armalite, in fact based only on performance i'll take it over the 375 h+h

I'll have to go with the obvious. The .375 H&H. I use it for prairie dogs, deer and elk. Couldn't think of a better round. If for some reason I couldn't have the H&H I would go for the .375 Dakota. Same balistics in a shorter package.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

Autoloaders are forbidden to foreign hunters in every African safari destination, and I doubt the .338 Lapua would be legal for Cape buffalo, rhino, and elephant.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416 remington, with 300 grain bullets its a squirrel gun with 400 grain bullets its a elephant gun. Everything else falls in between

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a Marlin 1895 in 45-70? 300 grain softpoints for the small stuff, to 405 grain cor-bons for everything else.

Angering society one University student at a time.

Posts: 114 | Location: Lethbridge, Alberta. | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
O.K., George, the Armalite AR-30 in .338 Lapua is a goofy choice, but it is not an autoloader. It is a bolt action repeater with a detachable box magazine, an aluminum alloy, pistol gripped stock, a tank style muzzle brake added onto the 26" barrel, and it weighs about 12 pounds. Silly, and not legal for DG because it is less than legal minimum caliber.

My choice? A .375 Weatherby On a true magnum Mauser, made by Johannsen with a McMillan stock of walnut brown fiberglass. roflmao

This way I can shoot .375 H&H cartridges as well as some creative .375 Weatherby rounds loaded out to 3.75" COL.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, RIP, I struck out that error. Red Face

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I have used my 416 Rigby loaded with 350 gn RCBS cast flat nose bullets loaded to 1800 fps to take turkey and whitetail I think going up from there to ele or buff with 400 gn solids at 2400 fps should about cover it............JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I choose the obvious 375!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see how anyone can compare the 375 H&H to a 416 Rem or Rigby for an all around caliber, the 416 Rem will push a 300 gr. bullet at 2900, a 350 at the same velocity as the 06 pushes a 280 gr. and a 400 gr. bullet at an easy 2400 plus FPS..

Sorry guys but facts is facts and I love the old 375, always had one and always will..Now if recoil is a factor then perhaps the 375 has that advantage, but I can't tell any difference in the two...

I know the when I am looking at a charge I will pick the 416 everytime over a 375..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I've shot Guineafowl and porupines to Cape Buffalo and Giraffes with my .416 Remington.

Got to go with that! thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have to be a cz .416 Rigby I suppose, I could quite happliy hunt everything with the 340 gr woodleigh''s, the 410 gr woodleigh's and the 400 gr Taipans I suppose. All I would need is Nosler to make something like 290 gr Nosler Ballistic tip.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
From praire dogs to ele there is only one that qualifies! The 375 H&H! Not a WEA or Dakota, or any other bastardized 375. The plain old 375H&H will do. It is legal for everything, has less recoil, and can be shot from any hunting position, and with a change of bullet weight, and type will do it all! I have three 375 H&H rifles, and have never been without at least one in my vault! Though I like double rifles, and can shoot about any rifle/caliber I want, when I pick up a bolt rifle it will be one of two, depending on what I'm about to hunt. One is a Manlicher Shoenauer MCA rifle chambered for 243 Win, and the other will be a 375 H&H Whitworth, of my FN Mauser.

Is the 375 H&H the best charge stopper? NO! Will it stop anything on Earth with the proper bullet, Placed in the proper place? YES! Is the 375 H&H the best P-Dog rifle? NO!, will it work for long range small targets? with the right bullet, and load, YES!

NOW! If we are talking only Africa, then the 416 Remington may be better, but if so, not by much, and only on the top boy, the ELEPHANT. With the proper bullet in the 375 H&H, I'm not sure the 416 is better even on the ele, and I know it is not as good on long shots on small targets!

All only my OPINION, and Not chiseled in stone anyplace I know of! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is really only one choice in a one gun to hunt the world with and it is a 375 of some sort. (if you eliminate buffalo and elephant then a 338 might be ok)

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have to guess a 375 H&H also. The 225 grain Hornady SP at 2000-3000 fps covers small and medium game and the 300 grain'ers at 2500 fps for serious game.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Although I don't own one right now I think I might choose the 375 Weatherby(you only excluded the H&H version). It does everything the wonderful old 375 H&H does but just a little better. Now it is not just a handload proposition as the Weatherby ammo with the 300 gr. NP's is excellent. I chronographed some of this stuff from a 22" barrel at 2780 FPS. Come up with a solid bullet load for little stuff and elephant and your good to go.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. I could make a case for the 458 Win. Mag. but we've been there too many horsetimes.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My obvious first choice would be the 375, but since we're excluding that, I would have to go with the .338WM, as long as I can still hand load.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not a 358 norma mag?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd use my 9.3x62 and try to shoot most of my critters in a size range that falls somewhere between varmint and elephant. Smiler

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I don't plan on shooting too many elephants, so I'll go with a 338 Win. Mag. loaded with 250 gr. Nosler Partitions and another load featuring 250 gr. Barnes solids. Good enough to hunt the world............

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, this started out as "except for a 375 H&H", so how about a 30-06. I know, not legal for elephant etc, so exactly how many elephants do you plan to shoot? It will work, it has worked for DG in the past and probably will in the future. Not my first choise or anyone else's, but the question is will it work.

So, legal considerations asside, most of the game would be deer to eland in size and so an 06 "would do" just fine. 100 gr Plinkers work great for gophers and varmints of any sort or loaded down for grouse. It would be very easy to get any sort of ammo almost anywhere. You can handload just about whatever you might need including cast bullets. The 06 is available in any style of action you might desire and in every price range. Also, the caliber tends to be quite accurate.

My second choise would be a 9.3x62 for similar reasons.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "obvious" wins again as it has since 1912!
clap

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pharaoh2:
How about a Marlin 1895 in 45-70? 300 grain softpoints for the small stuff, to 405 grain cor-bons for everything else.

pharaoh2...i think you are my new best friend...my favorite gun is my 45-70 guide gun thumb

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i dont know why more are not defending the lapua...
160 barnes x @ 3600 fps
300 grain woodleigh @ 2650 fps

that should make a gopher turn into a pink puff and be supersonic @ 400 yards and also give an elephant a headache Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick,

The 338 Lapua does not meet the legal requirements for buffalo and elephant.

The 378 Wby maintains your line of thinking and meets legal requirememts.

The 378 has about the same velocity as the 338 Lapual with bullets of the same sectional density.

Mike

Posts: 517 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the laws will change eventually to keep up with the modern bullets and higher velocities...check out gerards site for the gs custom bullets and see what he says about the 338 win mag and cape buffs

posted Hide Post
338 win mag can do it all

Bill

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would say .375h&h but if that's "not allowed", I would go 9.3x64. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have said many times that I dearly love the .375, but I do know its weaknesses and I would dread the thought of standing a charge from either an Alaskan Brown or a Cape Buffalo with one...The 416 on the other hand will handily handle it all, including elephant and its a heck of an Impala rifle...

So all ye who have fallen into complacency of the gun writters tribe and feel the 375 is the hammer of Thor, then please forward me your particulars, so that I might write letters of condolences to your families in the event no one else cares for you! boohoo sofa jump lol jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i love the 416 rigby too beer

<allen day>
posted
I have a number of local friends who have a whole safe full of rifles, any number of which could be used on everything from "varmints to elephants", the trouble is, most of these guys haven't hunted outside the borders of Oregon, ever. An all-around rifle does not become one until it's used as such............

Jim Carmichel said it best:

"There's no shortage of all-purpose rifles -- where are the all-purpose hunters?"

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leaving the legality side out of the equation I think the 300 Magnum would be best for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, for the couple of big animals like buffalo or elephant you would shoot the way luck could pan out on the day the 300 Mag might do better than the 577. No different to the 223 dropping deer size animals quicker than bigger guns at different times.

But the animals where you will do a lot of shooting are much smaller. Since it is varmints to elephants a 416 might make you pretty groggy after a week of roo and pig shooting in Australia Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 517 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
From praire dogs to ele there is only one that qualifies! The 375 H&H! Not a WEA or Dakota, or any other bastardized 375. beer

Here's mud in your eye, you obnoxious curmudgeon! How dare you bastardize my .375 Weatherby! Wink

The .375 Weatherby is the most classy and versatile cartridge in the whole dang world!

Cheers to you too, Mac.

thumbMark H. Young has got his head on straight. beer

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Here's mud in your eye, you obnoxious curmudgeon! How dare you bastardize my .375 Weatherby! Wink

The .375 Weatherby is the most classy and versatile cartridge in the whole dang world!

Cheers to you too, Mac.

thumbMark H. Young has got his head on straight. beer

jump Objection noted! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're a good man Mac.
Keep at it and you might convert a few of the .375 Weatherby horde to .375 H&H. Wink
Yep, .375 H&H will do ... but a .375 Weatherby can do the same and more. thumb

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
My $0.02, as stated many times previously...375 H&H. But since that is too obvious per post rules, then .416 Rigby since minimum caliber requirements in some countries rule out .338 Win Mag.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personnally, I rather like the 375 Ultra. The more I've shot it, the more I reeeealy like it. When you launch the 300 gr bullet at extra 250 f/s or so, it becomes another cartridge altogether. I had wanted to have one ever since Jon Sundra wildcatted the 300 Ultra and hunted Buff with it. Just ask Saeed about his "375" and he'll gladly tell you he doesn't need to shoot anything bigger for DG.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well since you said one gun and not cartridge the answer is obvious. The Blaser R93 of course! One rifle with fifteen or so barrels from .223 to .416 Remington. Case closed!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see how anyone can compare the 375 H&H to a 416 Rem or Rigby for an all around caliber, the 416 Rem will push a 300 gr. bullet at 2900, a 350 at the same velocity as the 06 pushes a 280 gr. and a 400 gr. bullet at an easy 2400 plus FPS..

Ray,

Don't get me wrong, as I believe your one of the best posters at this site, but the 280 grain in the 06 must be a typo, right? If not, could you give us some info on this slug.

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote