New
Find
Notify
Tools

Botswana Elephant
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's the latest on elephant in Bots, say in July of this year. Asking for a friend.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Meaning how the hunts are going? Botswana still churning out big bulls. Probably not as big as the first year or two they reopened hunting on average, but still pumping out big ivory as a whole in the prime areas and some of the areas are doing extremely well.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine working up in the northern boarder between Bots and the Caprivi Strip in CH1 out of https://svsafaris.com/ are banging a good bunch of ele and buffalo.

They've got a client in now that is booked for taking 5 elephant over 14-days. Half-way thru and he's got 3 down. All over 50#.

I know they have a couple of ele and a couple of buff still available on quota and could maybe work someone in in July.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine guides for Clive Eaton, he took a 98.5 x 98.7 last week

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5 ele in 14 days. Ethical in this day and age?

Posts: 367 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Pom:

Yes need to get those numbers up, I remember PH at SCI Show showing me a photo of Ivory from 32 Bulls in one Safari.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

CITES established the national quota of elephant permits for every elephant holding country.

Each country with legal quota allocates that quota to specific areas based in part on population density.

Those areas are auctioned off by the governments that include the limited off take for that area.

Why is it an "ethical" question if one person has the financial ability to acquire X number of permits within the allocated quota? It's not taking any more than allowed by the total quota allocated to a specific concession area.

If anyone has actually spent any time in the N. half of Botswana and especially in the NW quarter you'd know the country's carrying capacity for elephant is vastly overpopulated. They are destroying the habitat that supports other species.

Various elephant population surveys estimate the total population in Botswana somewhere between 275.000 (Paul Allen funded aerial survey from several years ago) and 400,000 (Botswana govt internal survey estimates). Those knowledgeable claim the elephant holding capacity for all of Botana is between 65,000-100,000.

Elephants reproduce at a rate of between 3-5% per year (that's exponential not linier). Given that range of numbers, killing 5000-10000 per year will only maintain the total numbers.

I believe the CITES total quota for legal elephant permits in Botswana is 500 per year or less and the govt spreads those out over several dozen very large (1M+ acre) concession areas. While allocated total permit quota is sold, not all permits within any given concession are filled during the season.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We need these wealthy hunters! If we did not have them quotas would go unsold!

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLindsay:
A friend of mine guides for Clive Eaton, he took a 98.5 x 98.7 last week

Now that is a really nice, matched bull? Would love to see photos.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am speaking only for myself, but I have long since passed the 'whack them and stack them.'

Long ago I had an old guy tell me that he and his lady would go out and shoot a single pheasant and then call it a day.

That I could not understand. I would always try for my limit.

I have been on the big South American dove shoots, snow goose shoots, Canada goose shoots. And realized that I only remembered a few unique shots.

My elephants that I have hunted - vivid memories. If I had shot 5 or more on a safari - I am just piling them up. Tried that on wildebeest and after only 3 or 4 - let someone else cull them.

I know Botswana is over populated with the critters - I have been there, myself. And if someone wants to shoot lots of them - go to it.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very thoughtful and valid replies to my question on ethics. Presumably the hunter in question does not live in a country with a free press which would use this as an open goal for the antis. For sure someone has to fill the quota and the population needs culling. However shooting bulls does virtually nothing to control a population. While most countries would not allow it if someone wants to kill lots of elephants surely they should cull cows, particularly tuskless. Personally I wouldn't care to share a camp with such an individual but if I was a Botswana PH I would be thrilled!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
One person kills 50, 50 people kill one each. Who cares? The end result is the same number of dead elephants.Ethics has fuckall to do with it. coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
One person kills 50, 50 people kill one each. Who cares? The end result is the same number of dead elephants.Ethics has fuckall to do with it. coffee

+1

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:

+2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who cares? The percentage of people who approve of shooting elephant in this world is minute. Even in the USA! If we want our grandchildren to be able to hunt we need to protect our image. One bow hunted lion did more damage to our cause than anything else in recent years. Many people on this forum seem to live in a Republican Party bubble without any contact with people of different political views. If you don't believe that a newspaper article about someone shooting numerous eles in 14 days wouldn't do immense harm you need to get out more. Trophy hunting of elephants won't end because of a shortage of elephants. It will end because of the arrogance of hunters who don't care what other people think. Other people can vote too and the politics of envy and wokeness isn't going to go away just because we don't like it.
Perhaps I'm just getting old?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Do you think the people of Botswana will complain about dead elephants? The only problem is the hunter may not be able to import the ivory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The people in Botswana would be thrilled by the death of a heap of elephants but they don't vote in any country in the western world where bad press has made it difficult to import tusks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Pom has a very valid point.

While we agree that it is all being conducted legally, the woke public backed by vote-hungry politicians will eventually find ways to bring about the demise of sport hunting by criminalizing it .... along the lines of the Lacey Act maybe.

Posts: 2037 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you shot 1 or 50 I dont think it would make one bit of difference to the antis, they want to BAN all hunting at any cost Period.

The problem with our group is we are REALLY good at preaching to the choir and fighting between ourselves.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
If you shot 1 or 50 I dont think it would make one bit of difference to the antis, they want to BAN all hunting at any cost Period.

The problem with our group is we are REALLY good at preaching to the choir and fighting between ourselves.

The difference is the antis could view you as just a jerk rich hunter who killed a single elephant. Kill fifty and you are a maniac millionaire slaughtering fifty elephants to satisfy his bloodlust. Yes you would give the antis far more fuel for their fires if you killed fifty as opposed to one.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Pom...

Unfortunately, optics matter... public perception is an issue we as hunters must take into consideration..

Our "rights" do not matter to the antis or politicians..

Out of sight, Out of mind......

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macs B:
quote:

The difference is the antis could view you as just a jerk rich hunter who killed a single elephant. Kill fifty and you are a maniac millionaire slaughtering fifty elephants to satisfy his bloodlust. Yes you would give the antis far more fuel for their fires if you killed fifty as opposed to one.

Exactly - 50 Times as much fuel...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I see that this discussion has somehow shifted from ethics to public relations.

In that case I will give my standard answer:

No comment.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
quote:

Spot on

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

THAT’S EXACTLY RIGHT.The anti want all hunting stopped, regardless of what or how much is killed. tu2

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

100%

We are our own enemy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who cares? The percentage of people who approve of shooting elephant in this world is minute. Even in the USA! If we want our grandchildren to be able to hunt we need to protect our image. One bow hunted lion did more damage to our cause than anything else in recent years. Many people on this forum seem to live in a Republican Party bubble without any contact with people of different political views. If you don't believe that a newspaper article about someone shooting numerous eles in 14 days wouldn't do immense harm you need to get out more. Trophy hunting of elephants won't end because of a shortage of elephants. It will end because of the arrogance of hunters who don't care what other people think. Other people can vote too and the politics of envy and wokeness isn't going to go away just because we don't like it.

This^^^^^

I've been roundly criticized here over much the same position. However, It wasn't the bow hunted lion that was the problem, it was posting the image. That is where I get clobbered.

The images that the other side uses to fuel the hate towards hunters, are provided to them by us...for free.

We as hunters need to (should) have the discipline to not need to post hero shots on line. There was a time it was fine, nobody really cared. Heck trophy hunting was looked at as kinda cool if anything. Now, we as a demographic, are looked at as pariah's, compared to those that perform mass shooting and such.

The problem is, there are those "in your face about it" types, which is also their choice, that make my decision for me. Does no good for me to not post a photo if others are willingly doing so.

I saw what happened to the dentist that posted that lion. It ruined his business and his home-life.

Before I sold my business, I always cared about what would happen to THEM, not me, if I put up inflammatory trophy hero shots. Also what about my wife and kid? They would be chastised and hounded, simply because of my selfish act of putting trophy shots up.

Way back when the whole "hunt able male lion" thing happened, Aaron Neilson was active on here. He had killed something like 14 or 15 lions. Personally, I don't care how many he's killed. But the "optics" of the guy, leading the charge for changing the definition of a hunt able male lion were not great. Same thing here. If the guy wants to shoot 5, or even 100 elephants, I really don't care. Just keep it to yourself.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3542 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

THAT’S EXACTLY RIGHT.The anti want all hunting stopped, regardless of what or how much is killed. tu2

I agree. But there is no need to provided them with the very images that they use to turn the publics image of "us"

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3542 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

This^^^^^

I've been roundly criticized here over much the same position. However, It wasn't the bow hunted lion that was the problem, it was posting the image. That is where I get clobbered.

The images that the other side uses to fuel the hate towards hunters, are provided to them by us...for free.

We as hunters need to (should) have the discipline to not need to post hero shots on line. There was a time it was fine, nobody really cared. Heck trophy hunting was looked at as kinda cool if anything. Now, we as a demographic, are looked at as pariah's, compared to those that perform mass shooting and such.

The problem is, there are those "in your face about it" types, which is also their choice, that make my decision for me. Does no good for me to not post a photo if others are willingly doing so.

I saw what happened to the dentist that posted that lion. It ruined his business and his home-life.

Before I sold my business, I always cared about what would happen to THEM, not me, if I put up inflammatory trophy hero shots. Also what about my wife and kid? They would be chastised and hounded, simply because of my selfish act of putting trophy shots up.

Way back when the whole "hunt able male lion" thing happened, Aaron Neilson was active on here. He had killed something like 14 or 15 lions. Personally, I don't care how many he's killed. But the "optics" of the guy, leading the charge for changing the definition of a hunt able male lion were not great. Same thing here. If the guy wants to shoot 5, or even 100 elephants, I really don't care. Just keep it to yourself.

You are mistaken Steve - if you are talking about Cecil? You have never seen that photo.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I been listening to this shit for 40 years and nothings really changed..

All I can say is I don't have a lot of respect to a shooter as opposed to a hunter, a shooter kills by the numbers to pump up his ego, a hunter treasures the hunt, the kill is his goal but its enough.

I only shoot 15 rock chucks and leave the rest for seed next year..shoot off the old ones..If I shot them all Id not have any rock chucks.

Thats just my opinion, I don't require any one to agree..Do as you please as long as it legal, if its not legal its your baby when the hammer falls, take it like a man! dont whine or wimper!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine took a 70 plus pounder today.

I hear a 99 pounder was just taken in NG 8.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Larry, a good friend of mine Riann, guides for Eaton and took it in NG8, 98.5x98.7

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

+2

+3

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of one hunter (shooter) shooting dozens of animals. Some yearsz ago, the park rangers at Pilansberg very quietly culled 200 lions. Why? Because they had too many lions.

Either elephant population estimate in Bots supports hunters taking more than one as the habitat carring capacity is only half of the lowest population estimate.

Ivory aside, wise use of culled meat, hides and bone is a must in order to make the antis SHUT UP.

GOOD HUNTING ALL.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Do you really think ANYTHING INCLUDING SCIENTIFIC FACTS are going to make any difference to antis?? 2020 cuckoo

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Anti-hunters, anti-guns and climate change nut-jobs cannot be reasoned with. They are not rational, and science or facts are meaningless to them. Driven by emotion, they feel free to just make shit up to suit their agendas.

That said, I see little point in assisting them by providing photos of us standing next to some sort of dead megafauna, be that lion, ele or grizzly. They feel free to copy and paste the pictures and initiate hate campaigns with them. We know we cannot change the minds of these assholes, but we should be concerned about how they are pushing their agendas and giving false information to the masses of well intentioned but ill informed.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote