New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a Dr. in the house???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best rehydration formula out there. Is it true or false the ones with sugar and "salt tablets" really defeat the purpose of rehydration and act as a diuretic? Or does it really matter for the activity level of most of us on safari? Replacing somethings rather than nothing?
What is the dose needed? I hunted in 110 deg F in October.I survived.

Posts: 71 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
You have to be more specific about the circumstances of "rehydration." If you're talking about the human with essentially normal physiology (i.e., doesn't have gastroententeritis or other illness) on safari in hot conditions who is getting thirsty but has had normal nutrition, then go with water.

You don't need sugar for rehydration. The body is very good at retaining sodium. Initially, the body in a salt restricted state loses more sodium than it should but after about 3 days hardly any sodium is lost so in most circumstances the sodium in diet is sufficient without taking salt tablets.

Yes...go with water.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
water. minimal one liter per hour.

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
In very hot and dry climates it can be difficult to tell how much fluid one is losing. One can suddenly become unable to stand up after reclining for a "rest". Some of the salt lost can be evident on one's clothing. On tracking elephants for hours in such conditions, drink 6-12 ounces every 30 minutes if you can. If you don't want to carry your own, one of the trackers should. A little salt will help. Sugar/caffeine won't hurt, and you'll probably like the energy boost.

In America, I see more cases of over-hydration and associated hyponatremia in otherwise healthy individuals than I see de-hydration.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Just drinking enough water should be all you need to do. The gut does need sodium and carbohydrate to help absorb it, but for the vast majority of cases what you get in regular meals should be enough.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Water is the key, but I think using something like the Gatorade powdered mix packages is a big help. If you just drink water and you are doing a lot of sweating, you run a real risk of cramps without putting some potassium back in your system.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
NOT a Doctor, but check out the NUUN Active Hydration Tablets. These are super easy to transport and mix, and I have found them to make a difference when biking in hot weather, providing you drink on a continual basis, and before you are thirsty. I really like these...

REI: http://www.rei.com/product/761714

I also use this: http://www.rei.com/product/520055

...and this (Hammer HEED) if looking to use a "Sports Drink" that has some calories BUT w/o corn syrup:
http://www.rei.com/product/752834

If you find yourself dehydrated, something like the Adventure Medical Kits Oral Rehydration Salts [rice-based electrolyte solution developed by the World Health Organization - or the CeraLyte 90 as listed below] could be a life-saver.

REI: http://www.rei.com/product/407272

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
the very best that i have used in the last few years is called wilderness athlete ..they have a website ..

they do rehydration powders that you mix with water as well as other energy products , if you do the research and talk to serious athletes they will tell you most of the products out there have too much sugar and not enough of the essential salts that you are losing ...wilderness athlete does not its veryu very good

please note THIS IS NOT AT ALL A SUBSTITUTE FOR DRINKING LOTS you must still drink as much water as you can ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daleW:
water. minimal one liter per hour.

Outdated, old school rule which has lead to water intoxication in some.

In hot climates, drink when you are thirsty. Any of the 'major' mixes such as Gatorade, Propel, etc.

If you are talking about rehydration to replace fluids lost from traveler's diarrhea, Ceralyte is excellent. Some research says its rice base is better than others.

http://www.ceraproductsinc.com...ctline/ceralyte.html

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
agree. if you drink a liter PER HOUR, unless you are sweating enough to stay soaking wet ALL THE TIME( AND I MEAN SLOSHING IN YOUR BOOTS), water intoxication and resulting hyponatremia(low sodium) are a real danger. should drink enough that you need to piss every 2-3 hours. and your piss should not look like water.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
This is the real stuff. I believe it is/was used be the UN for disasters.

It is a great product to have in hand, especially if you get sick in while hunting.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have used gatorade since my first safari and moved up to the G2... Gatorades answer to a less sugar and less caloric intake. I am not a world class athlete. Many of us may have to remember that. So a good drink and a good G2 will keep one on the hydrated side. I did this in Tanzania this past September. Lots of perspiring and lots of drinks. Never stressed and always ready to go some more.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
How do you rehydrate from the sundowners the night before?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think all of us in Zim Use Darolite tabs during the hottest months...they are available at every pharmacy.

Also...take the tabs before you start walking, not after you are suffering from heat stroke.

Many Americans seem paranoid about salt, but the 'right' combination is important...the back of my shirt is typically white with salt after a hard days hunting...more than I put on food anyway!

Darolite tabs work well for a hang over...

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing which has helped me is to drink 2 litres of water the night before. With that and my camel pack which holds 3 litres I am fine for a full days walking in the heat.
If I start to feel off colour or have a headache in the evening then I take stuff called Rehidrate, tastes like cream soda, I believe it is the same sort of stuff as Diarolite which Ganyana mentioned. You mix up a sachet of that and it immediately settles you. If you have a client who is "Dehydrated" and starting to vomit etc, the Rehidrate will stabilise them and stop the vomiting and Nausea. When I worked in the desert we found this to be the best solution as the transition from ok to seriously dehydrated comes quickly when you are pushing 55 deg C in adverse conditions.

If your clients are drinking alcohol at night, a good rule of thumb is to drink one small glass 250ml of water for every pint of beer consumed.

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think drinking too much water can also be a problem. Last year we walked about 20 miles (GPS reading) tracking elephants in 100 deg+ temp.

After a 6 mile march to the matetsi river we picked up the tracks and followed them another 4+ miles into the hills. After that long walk our contact with them lasted less than a minute as they scented us and took off, we did get a quick look there was no shooter. The way back was tough we made our way back to the matetsi river and kept filling our waterbottles and drinking the river water as the water we had taken had long gone! The problem was the luke warm river water made one even more thirsty and I think I drank too much in the end! I made it back on my own steam but the last miles was a tough slog.

We left the truck at 530 AM and came back at 8PM! We also had no food, except for some nuts and a couple of protein bars to share amongst 6 of us. My mouth was so dry I couldn't eat the damn protein bar. Maybe something else is a better power food!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try G-2. It is a product made by Gatorade but doesn't have all the calories. I used it in that awful heat in the Save last October. Seemed to work well.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about "darolite", but having grown up in the deep south, working on the farm cropping tobacco and lugging watermelons in the July heat as a kid, two a days in August, etc, I agree with Ganyana, I promise you need salt. Don't follow your salt free diet in high heat/humidity situations where you will be pushing it. Just my experience.

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan is right on with his reccomendation of the Wilderness Athlete product. The one you want is call "hydrate & recover". The developer, who I know, is the strength coach at the University of New Mexico. I use this product three or four times a week after my workouts and used it in Moz last September with excellent results.

Contrary to what some have said, just drinking lots of plain water isn't enough if you are looking at real deydration situations. Your body is losing a lot more than just water when you sweat, so replacing just the water won't cut it. Gatorade products are not real good either as they contain a lot of sugar and carbs, per many sports authorities on the subject.

The "energy bars" they make have saved the day for me lots of times too. I NEVER leave my vehicle when taking my my daypack is in order without a couple tucked away.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
the very best that i have used in the last few years is called wilderness athlete ..they have a website ..

they do rehydration powders that you mix with water as well as other energy products , if you do the research and talk to serious athletes they will tell you most of the products out there have too much sugar and not enough of the essential salts that you are losing ...wilderness athlete does not its veryu very good

please note THIS IS NOT AT ALL A SUBSTITUTE FOR DRINKING LOTS you must still drink as much water as you can ...

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Contrary to what some have said, just drinking lots of plain water isn't enough if you are looking at real deydration situations. Your body is losing a lot more than just water when you sweat, so replacing just the water won't cut it. Gatorade products are not real good either as they contain a lot of sugar and carbs, per many sports authorities on the subject.

+1

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
I am a doctor, albeit not of medicine, and I do try and pretend that I am a part time gynaecologist at times ... Big Grin

Seriously, if you land in trouble, and it happens very easily if your attention is on other stuff (such as Buffalo), make and drink a a mix of:

1 Litre water, 8 teaspoons sugar & 1/2 teaspoon salt

It works if you don't have all the modern goodies on hand.

Johan