THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Withdrawal of certain findings for ESA-listed species taken as sport hunted trophies
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Withdrawal of certain findings for ESA-listed species taken as sport hunted trophies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.fws.gov/internatio...-hunted-trophies.pdf

I was unable to copy the memo to post (see link).

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does this mean what I think it means?

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Holy crap.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
This is interesting...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Some please explain?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68665 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Means, if you have a trophy stuck in limbo, you had better get it now.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this to little to late for the operators in Tanzania?

Posts: 265 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

That maybe the case.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I think this is a result of their loss in this case, which found they effectively changed regulations without public comment in violation of the Administrative Procedures Act:

http://wildlife.org/battle-ove...-takes-another-turn/

quote:
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has lost a legal battle over its April 2014 decision to ban the import of elephant trophies from Zimbabwe.

The USFWS’ original decision to ban the import of trophies harvested on or after April 4, 2014 was published in the Federal Register in spring 2014 and reissued in spring 2015. Safari Club International and the National Rifle Association sued over the decision, and in late December 2017 the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled in their favor. The court found that the notices effectively amounted to an administrative rule, and as a result the Service should have allowed for a public comment period to take place as required under the Administrative Procedures Act.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way I read this...This might be a very good thing now they say the will look at each case that opens the door for countries that was closed no where does it say its A ban. They will look at each case and it seems like if the area have its management plans in place and enhancement can be shown that they will allow imports....

However we Africans are getting sick and tired of USFW AND THERE entire BIG BROTHER approach to anything African.

This might be a good thing... or the end who knows.

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:

You can only get them if they (USFWS) issue permits. I have 2 sets waiting for permits...still no word.

I am not sure it means anything of significance...yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37784 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:
The way I read this...This might be a very good thing now they say the will look at each case that opens the door for countries that was closed no where does it say its A ban. They will look at each case and it seems like if the area have its management plans in place and enhancement can be shown that they will allow imports....

However we Africans are getting sick and tired of USFW AND THERE entire BIG BROTHER approach to anything African.

You guys are not the only ones. The USFWS has screwed over a lot of countries on other continents. The ridiculous ban on polar bears from Canada is a prime example and there are many others.

Time the US just follow what is decided by CITES. The USFWS's approach, that they know what is best for everyone, really brings into question the validity of CITIES and is a slap in the face to every other country that belongs to CITES.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
We hose ourselves by not allowing polar bear hunting in Alaska and for that matter species like walrus

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:

You guys are not the only ones. The USFWS has screwed over a lot of countries on other continents. The ridiculous ban on polar bears from Canada is a prime example and there are many others.

Time the US just follow what is decided by CITES. The USFWS's approach, that they know what is best for everyone, really brings into question the validity of CITIES and is a slap in the face to every other country that belongs to CITES.

tu2 tu2 tu2

CITES are next to bloody useless & USF&WS are worse than bloody useless & when they disagree they're 100 times worse.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That will take repeal or amendment of the ESA...which I am all for...but not likely.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37784 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way I understand this I see it as a bit better than it was before. As some have pointed out, they will look at individual applications. I'm hoping this means that lion and elephant taken in places where you can tick off all required boxes will be allowed. So rather than looking at an entire country they will look more at the area where the animal was harvested.

So in places that have proper wildlife management plans, scientific wildlife monitoring, successful anti-poaching and good community support should have an advantage.

Some hunting areas are better protected than other and harvest more sustainably and IMO they should be rewarded for this. This will also be an incentive for everyone to step up their efforts.

I may be wrong but this is how I understand it.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thor,
I believe you read ‘the words’ correctly. That said: “Talk (words) is cheap...it takes money (actions) to buy whisky.”

I have been researching, investigating, and dealing with the USFWS for almost a decade now and while I share the sentiment that this at least leaves the door of hope open...I will believe it when I start getting pics from WhatsApp of officially granted permits...and my own.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Thor,
I believe you read ‘the words’ correctly. That said: “Talk (words) is cheap...it takes money (actions) to buy whisky.”

I have been researching, investigating, and dealing with the USFWS for almost a decade now and while I share the sentiment that this at least leaves the door of hope open...I will believe it when I start getting pics from WhatsApp of officially granted permits...and my own.

When you do get your permit then just keep it to yourself mate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Thor,

Andrew,
Please explain the gist of that post...I don’t copy. Confused

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Administrator
posted Hide Post
May be he means the USFW will do whatever they wish, as usual, no matter what the announcement says.

USFW is run like the proverbial BANANA REPUBLIC!

One hardly ever hears any good news coming from them!

Posts: 68665 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
USFW has done us more damage than any politician ever can, If it pays it stays you don't have to be a brain surgeon to work that out. And with all the challenges we deal with at the moment all over Africa the last thing we need is more import bans out of the USA.

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
May be he means the USFW will do whatever they wish, as usual, no matter what the announcement says.

USFW is run like the proverbial BANANA REPUBLIC!

One hardly ever hears any good news coming from them!

100% correct and ‘that’ was the gist of my post above and hence the reason I don’t follow his.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
What Saeed said +1.

Now that Obama is gone, the USFWS should be reformed or shut down before they do more damage.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
USFW has done us more damage than any politician ever can, If it pays it stays you don't have to be a brain surgeon to work that out. And with all the challenges we deal with at the moment all over Africa the last thing we need is more import bans out of the USA.

Sir,
You are 100% correct as well. The USFWS has been attaining an antihunting philosophy for decades...but...it went on hyperdrive during the 0bama years.

And, unless the Conservatives of the USA get a handle on their government...it’s (USFWS) going to become worse.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In CITES the importing countries can impose regulations/restrictions greater then the exporting country, that's written into the treaty.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thor,

Andrew,
Please explain the gist of that post...I don’t copy. Confused

I took this to mean that Andrew was referencing the SCI debacle with lions and elephants. If they'd have just 'kept it to themselves', we'd probably be in a different situation today. Just get your permit, keep your mouth shut and get your stuff home. No need to put comments or pictures where anti's might find them and use against us.

This is analogous to something a game warden buddy of mine told me recently. He said that over 90% of all the cases they make are a result of someone either posting a picture or comments on social media or telling someone about what they did, i.e. Bragging. He said that if most poachers just did their thing and kept quiet about it, they'd seldom get caught. At least in California, there are so few game wardens around the state that unless one is simply unlucky enough to bump into a warden in the field, they'd never get caught if they kept their mouth shut.

Get your permits, get your stuff home and be quiet about it thereafter.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://huntingreport.redpointr...nhancement-findings/
According to this article they thought the USFWS would withdraw the 2014-2015 findings and rely on the earlier findings to keep the permit process going inch by inch. But now they withdrew everything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read it closely...voids findings dated back to 1995, includes Zambia, Namibia and SA, too. It appears each permit application must prove an "enhancement" and will be subject to the public comment period, which will reveal the hunter to the public. Not good.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Read it closely...voids findings dated back to 1995, includes Zambia, Namibia and SA, too. It appears each permit application must prove an "enhancement" and will be subject to the public comment period, which will reveal the hunter to the public. Not good.

Did I mention that we might as well have PETA running USFW?

They have been anti hunters before, now they have solid support from Trump, nothing will stop them!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree, this is a very disturbing development.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

Welcome to the administrative state.

The anti hunting side is much smarter in its strategy. It is playing entrenched administrative agencies, administrative law, legal proceedings and public opinion/social media versus scientific evidence.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hi Karl,

Does not your legal system defend the rights of individuals to be protected from public scrutiny and possible violent abuse from activists/terrorists?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hi Karl,

Does not your legal system defend the rights of individuals to be protected from public scrutiny and possible violent abuse from activists/terrorists?

No sir, as soon as you apply for a permit from USFWS your information is available by filing a Freedom Of Information Act request (https://www.fws.gov/irm/bpim/foia.html#request) I've done it just to see if my name was in their database, it was, and the records revealed my name, my home address as well as an email address.
Try the FOI request sometime if you've imported any trophy requiring a permit, you might be surprised.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stupid question...does this impact leopards?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As many of you may remember I posted a thread based on information given to me by person/persons very close to the Trump family. Before I stated that there was no chance of the import ban being addressed by the Trumps again until 2021 after the SCI botched attempt at repeal.

I didn't jump in on this post until I had some information from my sources and this is VERY bad. ANYONE hunting any of the species listed in this USFWS PR release should make 100% certain that you have these approved permits in your possession prior to sending any deposits or making plans that will lock in a hunt for these animals. This now includes ALL elephant from ALL locations including Namibia. My source claims this is 100% in support of a continued permanent ban and that you will in essence need to submit an environmental impact statement specific to the area you intend to hunt. ALL applications will be public and ALL details concerning the applicants personal information will be made public and will be available for discussion on the USFWS forum. Bottom line no permits.

I pleaded for the persons I know close to DT to do something today and have not received a single text or e-mail in response since the first response warning that it was over.

We have not only lost the battle we just lost the war. Leopards and Giraffe (WHY) are next according to my sources.

SAFARISEAN

Posts: 180 | Location: KC MO> | Registered: 31 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see the link for sport hunted leopard import permits is gone...anyone know when that will be back up? None of the species specific links seem to be working. Anyone have a link to the form?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hi Karl,

Certain of us went to insane lengths to keep our information private.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
And this is the new hunter-friendly Administration that was going to save African hunting . . . looks more like they are intent on putting the nail in the coffin of African hunting. Pitiful. Hunters lose, outfitters lose, the communities lose . . . and the biggest losers are the species the legislation is intended to protect.

Mike

Posts: 21682 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
And this is the new hunter-friendly Administration that was going to save African hunting . . . looks more like they are intent on putting the nail in the coffin of African hunting. Pitiful. Hunters lose, outfitters lose, the communities lose . . . and the biggest losers are the species the legislation is intended to protect.

We’ve fallen through the looking glass...

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I see the link for sport hunted leopard import permits is gone...anyone know when that will be back up? None of the species specific links seem to be working. Anyone have a link to the form?

Here's the leopard link.

Leopard Import application

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote